Total Recall Special Edition (1990) - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 547 Old 08-20-2012, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

What a pity, they can not even write the name (Philip K. Dick) correctly. eek.gifbiggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 547 Old 08-20-2012, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I'm returning this one....although there are some great moments (esp. the audio), but the transfer is not what I expected, plus there is a lip-sync issue in the last half of the film. I'll keep my UK edition..........

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #453 of 547 Old 08-21-2012, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
You prefer the hatchet job that 'improved' an old scan with filtering and contrasting boosting resulting in clipping the highlights and compromised shadow detail for artificial 'inky' blacks.

Versus a carefully crafted transfer supervised and approved by the director, that has been newly scanned resulting in phenomenal accurate and natural detail along with a mostly balanced color timing and contrast.

Such a shame but at least you gave it a chance.

My only beef with this disc and this stems from how it was encoded not the restoration itself, is the periodic frame skipping due to the incorrect frame rate flag. It happens on my stand alone player but does not occur with the PS3.

Actually no, I have another issue with the disc and it is far more obnoxious it is the propensity of Lionsgate with forced trailers and making it a pain to get to the main menu. Absolutely loath and despise this practice, studios wonder why people prefer the pirated versions because they provide a superior product and experience. Load up the movie and enjoy.

Best Regards
KvE

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shovelling it.

post #454 of 547 Old 08-21-2012, 07:54 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFDMvsEnya View Post

Actually no, I have another issue with the disc and it is far more obnoxious it is the propensity of Lionsgate with forced trailers and making it a pain to get to the main menu. Absolutely loath and despise this practice, studios wonder why people prefer the pirated versions because they provide a superior product and experience. Load up the movie and enjoy.
Best Regards
KvE
I absolutely loathe this - but you know what I encountered recently that was EVEN WORSE than having forced trailers on a disc? Forced commercials!!! Actual commercials for products other than films. Had to sit through a Mars advert and a chewing gum advert so I could watch my legitimately-purchased copy of Source Code. And you can't skip them either. You can fast forward and that's it. So better hope your BD player has an ultra-fast-forward option.
post #455 of 547 Old 08-21-2012, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFDMvsEnya View Post

This was the disc that finally convinced me to move forward with my plans to build a media server and rip all my media losslessly to MKV. I was surprised by the number of forced trailers.
post #456 of 547 Old 08-22-2012, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Come on Mike. You slam Blade Runner, but side with the UK release of Total Recall? eek.gif Fact: Blade Runner has no where near the problems that the UK disc has of Total Recall, so what gives? biggrin.gif

Here's my perspective. I watched my UK edition of Total Recall a couple weeks ago on my new projection system.

The UK disc obviously has some DNR, but it wasn't horrible. The worst thing about the disc by far, was the boosting. Many times, it felt like I was watching a made for TV movie because all of the colors seemed over saturated and everything seemed "brightened." Total Recall should not look "THAT" cheesy/cheap. I was happy with everything else about the disc, but this fatal flaw strikes the hardest.

So I'm probably going to get the new release, because even the colors look more professional, darkened, which is how it should look. Plus the DNR appears to be gone. From my perspective, the US disc is superior. It's only time until I order it.
post #457 of 547 Old 08-22-2012, 12:28 PM

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FendersRule View Post

Come on Mike. You slam Blade Runner, but side with the UK release of Total Recall? eek.gif Fact: Blade Runner has no where near the problems that the UK disc has of Total Recall, so what gives? biggrin.gif
Here's my perspective. I watched my UK edition of Total Recall a couple weeks ago on my new projection system.
The UK disc obviously has some DNR, but it wasn't horrible. The worst thing about the disc by far, was the boosting. Many times, it felt like I was watching a made for TV movie because all of the colors seemed over saturated and everything seemed "brightened." Total Recall should not look "THAT" cheesy/cheap. I was happy with everything else about the disc, but this fatal flaw strikes the hardest.
So I'm probably going to get the new release, because even the colors look more professional, darkened, which is how it should look. Plus the DNR appears to be gone. From my perspective, the US disc is superior. It's only time until I order it.
I don't slam blade runner, I just wish the final cut had no dnr.
The other many discs in set do not, and look great for it the disc it's fine but could be better.
I never said the UK recall was perfect, it is far from it but neither is the new disc it is technically better than the UK disc? Yep
Do I like it better? Nope
This is just a preference thing not a technological look at the disc.

But I am old school and love print damage and heavy inconstant grain.
post #458 of 547 Old 08-22-2012, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Im with you Mike, but the over saturated colors makes the UK disc look so unprofessional and "fake." Total Recall deserves more. That's reason alone right there to ditch it and spend the measily $8 (over here at least) for the US disc.
post #459 of 547 Old 08-22-2012, 01:20 PM

And the teal makes the USA disc look less like recall, it's a toss up
post #460 of 547 Old 08-22-2012, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

And the teal makes the USA disc look less like recall, it's a toss up
Teal equals green and green is ingrained in Total Recall.
post #461 of 547 Old 08-23-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homogenic View Post

Teal equals green and green is ingrained in Total Recall.
#
Red and blue more than green
post #462 of 547 Old 08-24-2012, 12:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Finally got around to watching my copy.
It's a damn good thing it was budget priced, otherwise, I would be pi$$ed.eek.gif

This release is an embarrassment to all involved IMO.rolleyes.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #463 of 547 Old 08-24-2012, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

It's a damn good thing it was budget priced, otherwise, I would be pi$$ed.eek.gif
Can you elaborate on "an embarrassment to all involved"?
I have this BD in my Amazon shopping cart (waiting for a few more items to add up to $25 for free shipping)- it's not too late to remove it from my cart.

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #464 of 547 Old 08-24-2012, 07:20 AM

Quote:

Really?
post #465 of 547 Old 08-24-2012, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
I smell bacon.
post #466 of 547 Old 08-24-2012, 10:01 AM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 612
Quote:

Waahhhh? I thought it looked pretty damn good! Have you seen the older disk?

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #467 of 547 Old 08-24-2012, 11:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Waahhhh? I thought it looked pretty damn good! Have you seen the older disk?
I haven't seen the older disk, so I can't comment.

A new master is needed or the film simply needs to be given a ground-up resto.
Way too much dirt and flecks on the print.
Not a lot of detail in the mid to long shots, but much of the up-close stuff (and this film has quite a bit of actually) is reasonable.
All in all, a disappointment.

post #468 of 547 Old 08-24-2012, 12:09 PM

I knew I liked you
post #469 of 547 Old 08-24-2012, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Quote:

I haven't seen the older disk, so I can't comment.
A new master is needed or the film simply needs to be given a ground-up resto.
Way too much dirt and flecks on the print.
Not a lot of detail in the mid to long shots, but much of the up-close stuff (and this film has quite a bit of actually) is reasonable.
All in all, a disappointment.
A new new master? The dust is annoying but restoration will not make it significantly more detailed than it already is unless they whip out the fancy DNR/EE tools. The grain is quite well-defined, and if you've got the grain you've got everything else; between the diffusion fillters and the 80s high speed film stock, this just ain't one of those razor sharp films.
IMO the dust and inconsistent colors are the biggest blemish here, the detail/resolution are right on the money.
post #470 of 547 Old 08-24-2012, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post

A new new master? The dust is annoying but restoration will not make it significantly more detailed than it already is unless they whip out the fancy DNR/EE tools. The grain is quite well-defined, and if you've got the grain you've got everything else; between the diffusion fillters and the 80s high speed film stock, this just ain't one of those razor sharp films.
IMO the dust and inconsistent colors are the biggest blemish here, the detail/resolution are right on the money.

Absolutely right, Total Recall does not need a "restoration". The R word should be saved for films that have suffered significant degradation, and not something that looks to be in rude health, save for some dirt in the opticals. I would've liked it if the dustbusting applied to this release had been a bit more diligent, but stack the new TR transfer against any one of Universal's myriad catalogue atrocities and it ****ing slays them.
post #471 of 547 Old 08-24-2012, 04:56 PM

Can I use the other word? Remaster?
post #472 of 547 Old 08-24-2012, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I usually agree with you, but this is totally whacked.

I think your expectations are way out of line with what the original negative can deliver. Fast 80s film stock, tons of optical effects...Total Recall will never look great. Maybe if they digitally recomposite all the opticals from the negatives, but that's not going to happen for a title that commands $7.99 on release day.

We got a new director-approved master and what looks like a completely unmolested encode. This is as good as it gets. Anyone needing more should watch Starship Troopers instead.
post #473 of 547 Old 08-24-2012, 05:07 PM

It will look great, as in what they shot but tweaking the mars red and the other changes are not what were shot.
post #474 of 547 Old 08-24-2012, 05:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdkind View Post

I think your expectations are way out of line with what the original negative can deliver. Fast 80s film stock, tons of optical effects...Total Recall will never look great. Maybe if they digitally recomposite all the opticals from the negatives, but that's not going to happen for a title that commands $7.99 on release day.
We got a new director-approved master and what looks like a completely unmolested encode. This is as good as it gets. Anyone needing more should watch Starship Troopers instead.
Maybe my expectations were unreasonable, but I don't think so.

This movie is a well-known Sci-Fi classic that has probably made a lot of $$$ during its long career on home video.
I EXPECT the studio to go the extra mile for this BD release, particularly considering all the bad press from the previous one.
And what I see tells me they didn't.

BTW, the opticals are so bad, the wife asked if we were watching a DVD instead of the BD....definitely a teeth-grinding moment in the HT.tongue.gif

post #475 of 547 Old 08-24-2012, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:

This movie is a well-known Sci-Fi classic that has probably made a lot of $$$ during its long career on home video.
I EXPECT the studio to go the extra mile for this BD release, particularly considering all the bad press from the previous one.
BTW, the opticals are so bad, the wife asked if we were watching a DVD instead of the BD....definitely a teeth-grinding moment in the HT.tongue.gif

UGH!!! I bought this supposedly far improved and superior version to replace my pathetic and total crap original version based upon comments that it was far superior. Am I going to be royally screwed and pissed or what?

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #476 of 547 Old 08-24-2012, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/comparison.php?cap1=12464&cap2=10593&art=full&image=0&cID=1166&action=1&lossless=#vergleich

Overall it looks great, but if you expect constant 'inky' blacks or a particular color timing perhaps you may be disappointed.

At least for me this is the best TR has ever looked for home theater. It does have a few shortcomings here and there but I would not settle for any of the prior releases.

Best Regards
KvE

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shovelling it.

post #477 of 547 Old 08-24-2012, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

It's a sad day when an artwork languishes in poorer quality than it could be, purely because the studios don't think they can make enough profit.

Whatever happened to philanthropy?

Maybe it's time these artworks, that can't make sufficient profit, were handed over to the community to work on, for passion rather than profit. The studios could still make something from them from sales of replications: I think the biggest cost is in the labour to perform the restoration, which would now be done for free by enthusiasts.
post #478 of 547 Old 08-24-2012, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's a new master and excellent encode with no EE or DNR to speak of. Some find the color tinkering--if it has in fact been tinkered with--offputting. I saw it in the theater when it was first released, and I can't tell you if the color of the new release matches the theatrical prints or not.

The biggest improvement they could make would be to redo the optical composites digitally. Since every other shot in the movie is an optical, that will likely never happen. Who knows if all those elements even exist anymore? And even if it did happen, the movie would still be dim and grainy and flat because that's how the director wants it to look, and frankly, that's probably how it looked when it was released. Blood from a stone, man.

It's kind of funny how enthusiasts kick and scream and beg studios not to molest their releases with digital processing and contrast boosting, but when we get a product that puts many other catalog releases to shame, people complain because it doesn't look the way they think they remember it.
post #479 of 547 Old 08-24-2012, 09:56 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post

if you've got the grain you've got everything else

This. Grain is the finest detail that can be captured. When you see the grain and it isn't smudged and blobby, you know you've got all the other details.

Dillon: My men were in that chopper when it got hit! Hopper's orders were to go in and remove grain and the detail just disappeared.
Dutch: It didn't disappear. It was scrubbed alive!
post #480 of 547 Old 08-25-2012, 11:40 AM

It looks like TR is one of those films that simply isn't going to look all slick and shiny (for the reasons given above; I guess VistaVision or 65mm weren't used for the opticals) when given a truly faithful BD release, which this new version looks to be, so all this whining is really funny. I can see why the original release was DNR'ed and screwed-around with in the first place. This is like the opposite from what happened with Predator. smile.gif
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Total Recall Mind Bending Edition Blu Ray , Robocop Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page