Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 547 Old 05-23-2012, 10:22 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Pre-ordered!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- direct pod link

- main website

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 547 Old 05-24-2012, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post

I cannot believe no one has used the 'Wet Towel Head' edition.

Could be looked on as a racial slur, so maybe not the best thing for the Wallmart crowd
post #93 of 547 Old 05-25-2012, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 42
for a 2012 release, and just over a month to release, I'll pick up the "Just in Time for Cornflakes" edition.....funny how just a couple months ago, I ordered the UK version....I don't care!!!

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #94 of 547 Old 05-25-2012, 09:39 PM

Liked: 10
I'm really interested to see what they do color timing wise to this transfer. This must've been a big restoration if they decided to make a featurette about it.. Either way I'm very excited to pick up my "What the F*ck is going on down there?!" edition. I only wish there was a giftset with Brubaker IDs, a 'fat old lady' disguise and head-bug removal device.
post #95 of 547 Old 05-27-2012, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Could be looked on as a racial slur, so maybe not the best thing for the Wallmart crowd

I meant used here that is. The scene clues in that it's a silly movie, I suspect unintentionally.
post #96 of 547 Old 05-27-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post

I meant used here that is. The scene clues in that it's a silly movie, I suspect unintentionally.

I knew you didn't mean it that way, but Joe six pack is generally a moron
post #97 of 547 Old 05-28-2012, 12:47 AM

Liked: 11
I got the impression that screen caps of the new transfer are already online but I did not find any floating around. Could someone link the screen caps here?
post #98 of 547 Old 05-28-2012, 01:11 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlindstr View Post

I got the impression that screen caps of the new transfer are already online but I did not find any floating around. Could someone link the screen caps here?

No the new aren't out. Only a old german disc compared to US and that some (me) thought was the new transfer
post #99 of 547 Old 05-28-2012, 06:17 AM

Can't wait for this 'Kamaan Baby, you know you're the girl of my dreamps' edition.
post #100 of 547 Old 05-28-2012, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Nah, they'd probably think it was some war on terror torture movie supporting water boarding and buy em up by the butt load. Hell, I bought "I Spit On Your Grave" at WalMart so they don't seem to be as uptight as they once were when it comes to carrying stuff that might offend.
post #101 of 547 Old 05-28-2012, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Looking forward to upgrading my HD-DVD copy with the new "See you at the party, Richter!" Edition

post #102 of 547 Old 05-28-2012, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm waiting for the "You blew my cover" edition

post #103 of 547 Old 05-29-2012, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishFury View Post

I'm waiting for the "You blew my cover" edition

what kind of cover art be on that btw???

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #104 of 547 Old 06-18-2012, 01:11 PM

First French test.

BD : 1 BD-50 + 1 DVD
StudioCanal
All zones

The result is not the expected big slap, but a further step towards the ultimate nice big HD

video : 4/6
audio : 4/6
bonus : 5/6

http://www.avcesar.com/test/bluray/id-1455/Total-Recall.html
post #105 of 547 Old 06-18-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolo33 View Post

First French test.
video : 4/6
audio : 4/6
bonus : 5/6
http://www.avcesar.com/test/bluray/id-1455/Total-Recall.html
#

Not a single screen shot
post #106 of 547 Old 06-18-2012, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
It went very far with Total Recall, each new format providing a lot of improvements over time. The result is, therefore, not the large flaps expected, but rather an additional step towards the beautiful and great ultimate HD.

Side persistent defects: still a little low contrast in some dark sequences, a sometimes quite this grain throughout the film (important tingling on certain sequences #, an impression of aesthetically dated film due in part to aging of special effects, and a dive that does not reach the amazing recent remastering # the ten commandments, Cleopatra, My Fair Lady)Seven, Apocalypse Now #.But the improvements are palpable and here we see probably the most complete copy technically, with renovated and powerful red # the second part of the film), enhanced readability, provided details, a purity of clear lines, a strength of blacks in any event. The Milky veil of leaves his room for clarity. And it changes almost everything.

DTS - HD Master Audio 5.1 is the job nicely supporting the low frequencies, offering a beautiful activity head-on, but the dynamics of the scope and a very cool music at the rear ventilation. Not to mention dialogues, harmoniously incorporated in the mix and never acid.Does the mix DTS - HD Master Audio 5.1 French not convince not fully with its more low but also confusing, heavier. If the surrounds are a little more unsolicited, front dynamics is less obvious, and especially, the graves show overly present, and surprisingly absent when when they would be needed... A very close the previous edition Blu‑Ray VF.
Despite the poor translation, it sounds like there is grain, at least. smile.gif
post #107 of 547 Old 06-22-2012, 03:12 AM

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/131364/picture:1 (Link provided by Indiana Jones @ blu-ray.com forums)

Never seen the film itself but I just placed an order for the UK steelbook.
post #108 of 547 Old 06-22-2012, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

The transfer looks fantastic, but contrast boosting and color shift to teal and orange are the worst offenders of modern day authoring.
post #109 of 547 Old 06-22-2012, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 45
http://www.dvdactive.com/reviews/dvd/total-recall-ultimate-rekall-edition.html
Via reference by Daz_85 at br.com

Judging from some of the preliminary screen caps overall it looks awesome; finely resolved grain, contrast is improved though perhaps a tad too saturated, and the excessive clipping/blooming and DNR found on the more recent releases have been eliminated.
Arnold approves. http://www.dvdactive.com/images/reviews/screenshot/2012/6/totalrecallbdcap2_original.jpg

Definitely a new timing but not as garish or excessive as some other examples but as AlexBC noted definitely T&Oed.

Really looking forward to watching this one now and seems to have some nice extras as well.

Now let's hope that Terminator, True Lies, and The Abyss are awesome whenever they come out. I wonder if PV will revisit Starship Troopers? Doesn't Robocop need some attention as well?

Best Regards
KvE

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shovelling it.

post #110 of 547 Old 06-22-2012, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I'm not going to argue that the contrast hasn't been boosted on the new release, but I admit that I think it provides a more pleasing image. I think the original release looks a bit washed out and that's why it doesn't offend me in the same way that some of the other releases that have been tinkered with do (the re-release of Memento is a good example of one that doesn't sit right with me).

Definitely looking forward to this release as I love the film and this is the first version on an HD format that looks worth the purchase to me. Some blues being shifted to teal do bother me a good deal, but not enough to keep me from purchasing, especially with the low asking price.
post #111 of 547 Old 06-22-2012, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Seems to look very nice. Actually looks like film now, rather than flat, washed-out home video.

I'm always confused when people talk about "contrast boosting", like DVD era video was some kind of gold standard of film color reproduction we must maintain. I won't speculate on the slight greenish push but the contrast here is simply more correct.
post #112 of 547 Old 06-22-2012, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post

Seems to look very nice. Actually looks like film now, rather than flat, washed-out home video.
I'm always confused when people talk about "contrast boosting", like DVD era video was some kind of gold standard of film color reproduction we must maintain. I won't speculate on the slight greenish push but the contrast here is simply more correct.
There's definite contrast boosting to the point that whites are blown out and details are lost on many new Blu-ray transfers. It goes hand in hand with revisionist orange and teal color timing usually.

I honestly can't say whether or not Total Recall is contrast boosted. It might not be at all, because it certainly looks more correct now. I'd need to see more screenshots (and have a chance to look at them at home instead of at work) to really comment on that for Total Recall. Still, like I said earlier, it's looking pretty darn good now, barring a bit of teal. Can't wait for this one.
post #113 of 547 Old 06-22-2012, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation View Post

There's definite contrast boosting to the point that whites are blown out and details are lost on many new Blu-ray transfers. It goes hand in hand with revisionist orange and teal color timing usually.
I honestly can't say whether or not Total Recall is contrast boosted. It might not be at all, because it certainly looks more correct now. I'd need to see more screenshots (and have a chance to look at them at home instead of at work) to really comment on that for Total Recall. Still, like I said earlier, it's looking pretty darn good now, barring a bit of teal. Can't wait for this one.
Well, it's important to remember that video transfers are made from low-contrast elements that have lower contrast and more dynamic range than print films, or TVs, can satisfactory display. I think in many cases, the original print contrast is not brought back completely, or they crank the contrast but clip the highlights, whereas a print film has a soft "shoulder" at extremes of the exposure it can handle. I've seen many original prints of 80s and 90s films in the last couple years and I just don't see those murky, flat pastel fleshtones older transfers are often plagued by. (in fact that look is starting to bother me as much as EE or DNR)
post #114 of 547 Old 06-22-2012, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 45
42021, It is not that DVD is the gold standard per se but purposely changing contrast and retiming was not usually done in the beginning. Although many early catalogs DVDs used transfers that had been made years before hand. What is fascinating is that with DVD and BR initially studios did not monkey around with things, like the usage of DNR, EE, or tweaking contrast. Clearly not always the case but as a whole transfers tend to be left alone in the beginning, especially fortuitous if it is a high quality one. Now nearly every DVD is heavily filtered and has EE baked in for worse measure.

You are right though that not everything

I referred to an analogy earlier in regards to music that I feel is similar to the tendency of brightening up contrast but at the cost of dynamic range as well causing clipping. Many 'older' recordings have been supposedly remastered. Unfortunately this typically this constitutes of excessive reduction of dynamic range, frequency compression, brick wall peak limiting, and permitting clipping/distortion. Since it is perceptually louder, especially in comparison to the original recordings, it is frequently interpenetrated as being better even though it is clearly distorted and flat and lifeless.

The irony is once leveled matched most folks can distinguish the fatiguing, over compressed, and distorted remasters and actually prefer the more dynamic and distortion free original recordings.

A proper remaster will retain all the best qualities of excellent audio engineering, dynamic and distortion free. The issue is to use the new tools sensibly and judicially, same goes for video mastering. Keep adjustments to the optimal minimum.

What happens with contrast boosting, which often reduces dynamic range, is that enough visual information will look 'fine' but other information will fall out of the parameters and will result in clipping the highlights and shadow detail. Whilst mid range tones will have more perceived pop this can also result in over saturation and cause blooming if not kept in check.

Unfortunately my vocabulary for image manipulation is limited in comparison to others but hopefully I have accurately conveyed the pertinent ideas.

In respects Total Recall it appears to have been mastered in a manner at least I find to be sensible and well done.

Best Regards
KvE

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shovelling it.

post #115 of 547 Old 06-22-2012, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFDMvsEnya View Post

42021, It is not that DVD is the gold standard per se but purposely changing contrast and retiming was not usually done in the beginning. Although many early catalogs DVDs used transfers that had been made years before hand. What is fascinating is that with DVD and BR initially studios did not monkey around with things, like the usage of DNR, EE, or tweaking contrast. Clearly not always the case but as a whole transfers tend to be left alone in the beginning, especially fortuitous if it is a high quality one. Now nearly every DVD is heavily filtered and has EE baked in for worse measure.
You are right though that not everything
I understand that manipulation is a problem, but my issue is the accuracy of the unmanipulated old-school video transfer to begin with. I think there's a fundamental issue with obtaining theatrical accuracy on home video, because transfers are not made from prints, which ultimately determine the contrast, tonality, and color saturation that ends up on screen. That very important step is completely bypassed. The response of a print stock to a negative is non-linear, so the correct tonality as it appeared on cinema screens has to be artificially mapped to the video format somehow, and my personal feeling based on watching lots of films in both 35mm and DVD is that they often got it wrong, and the results are either washed out or blown out. Nowadays in the DI suite they have things like 3D look-up-tables that map the scan of the negative to how the print would respond, but I'm not particularly well-informed about that sort of stuff.
post #116 of 547 Old 06-22-2012, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 221
I agree completely 42041, with your assessment of Total Recall and new transfers in general. I quite like the existing StudioCanal transfer of Total Recall, save for its obvious video-related foibles like the minor EE, and the blatant noise reduction on the opticals, but the new one has a beautiful tonal range that makes the extant one look very outdated. People will point out the 'clipped' highlights on the new one, but it looks like a more naturalistic build-up of contrast (akin to something you'd see on a release print) rather than a simple turn of the contrast knob up to 11.
post #117 of 547 Old 06-22-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation View Post

(the re-release of Memento is a good example of one that doesn't sit right with me).

I'd be curious to hear Pfister's thoughts on the Sony and Lionsgate bd transfers of Memento.
post #118 of 547 Old 06-22-2012, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Hmm every time I read the French reviewer mildly complain about something it actually raised my hope more and more wink.gif.

Sounds like no fake contrast boost and not horrific DNR at the least.
post #119 of 547 Old 07-02-2012, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
post #120 of 547 Old 07-02-2012, 10:25 AM

Check this out...almost the same frames.
New color timing (teal) & contrast boost >>>

US Blu-ray (2006 release):
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/screenshot.php?movieid=85&position=2

UK Blu-ray (2012):
http://cdn.blu-raydefinition.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Total-Recal-Ultimate-Rekall-UK-BD_10.jpg?d9c344
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Total Recall Mind Bending Edition Blu Ray , Robocop Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Robocop by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page