Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 05-01-2012, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Newly-restored Secret World Live to be released July 2

"Secret World Live", the outstanding Grammy Award winning film from 1994 is now to be re-released. The new version allows the original film to be seen and heard in the best possible quality on DVD / Blu-ray. Filmed in Modena, Italy across two nights in November 1993 as part of Peter Gabriel's acclaimed "Secret World Live" tour in support of the "Us" album, the show is elaborately presented and choreographed with two stages joined by a narrow moving walkway. The line-up for this show featured Peter Gabriel (vocals, keyboards); Manu Katche (drums); Tony Levin (bass, vocals); David Rhodes (guitar, vocals); Jean Claude Naimro (keyboards, vocals); Paula Cole (vocals); Shankar (violin, vocals); Levon Minassian (doudouk) with guests Papa Wemba and Molokai.

The original 16mm film negatives were repaired / cleaned and scanned (at super 2K) to a file sequence for mastering and restoration. The 2K sequence is the resolution we view in cinemas, and as such, the concert is now available in high definition without compromise. Once scanned, the footage digitally restored and graded (by award winning colourist Ray King) to allow fans to view the concert as never been seen before.

A slew of great Bonus Features are also included. "Red Rain" was not included in the original film, this is now included as an extra for the first time. We also offer Timelapse film of the complex stage set up, plus a featurette on the making of the "Secret World Live" film including interviews and behind the scenes footage. Additionally, there's a newly restored photomontage slideshow to the remixed "Quiet" version of "Steam" and, finally, "The Rhythm Of The Heat" orchestral version from the "New Blood: Live In London" show.

http://petergabriel.com/media/articl...leased-july-2/

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 05-01-2012, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What is "super 2K"?
post #3 of 25 Old 05-01-2012, 05:03 PM

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRonHoover View Post

What is "super 2K"?

kal-el supervised the transfer?

Day 0 for this I will buy it so hard it may break in the process.
Can we get Play now also?
post #4 of 25 Old 05-01-2012, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Definitely a purchase for me, but would love more details on the audio portion.
post #5 of 25 Old 05-01-2012, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 71
This is great news. The existing DVD has an absolutely wretched picture. It's will also be nice to hear Paula Cole sing some of his classics again. In contrast to his daughter who is painful to listen to.
post #6 of 25 Old 05-01-2012, 09:50 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Awesome show! Curious about the audio.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #7 of 25 Old 05-02-2012, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The original dvd, was released in 4/3........ I was very disappointed by that.

So I wonder if there was a 16 mm print available why they never released it in that format in the first place? The show was the best and most innovating at the time, and the view on that incredible stage was totally lost.

But I be happy with this, as it was a memorable concert. I was so bored by his last blu ray, 3 d or not.

I like my HT, wine and pretty girls. But...am I the only one
post #8 of 25 Old 05-02-2012, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 395
I'm anxious to see how this turns out. I greatly enjoyed the DVD, hopefully the BD will be a significant upgrade in PQ and AQ (and not require a firmware update to play!).

post #9 of 25 Old 05-03-2012, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 210
great video... wonderful dvd... one only hopes the BD will be wonderful also.

VPI Classic 2/Soundsmith Aida
Parks Audio Budgie Pre Amp - Budgie SUT - Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 DSDse
Pioneer SC85 - Bel Canto REF 500M
Klipsch Cornwall/Crites/Aletheia Audio - Klipsch RC64II - Klipsch SW115
Samsung PN64D8000 - OPPO BDP93
Klipsch Image Ones - Klipsch x11i
post #10 of 25 Old 05-03-2012, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 45
day one purchase for me!!! Now if I could get pink floyd 'pulse', then I would be in hog heaven!

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #11 of 25 Old 05-04-2012, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indieke2 View Post

. I was so bored by his last blu ray, 3 d or not.

Agreed. I preordered it and almost couldn't finish watching it.
post #12 of 25 Old 05-04-2012, 07:33 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squigglyline View Post

Agreed. I preordered it and almost couldn't finish watching it.

+2.........I never made it through the whole thing. Me and the GF were both bored to tears. Even trying to approach it strictly from a musical perspective I just found it flat, dull and awkward.

Very much looking forward to Secret World though which has always been a DVD favorite.

post #13 of 25 Old 06-01-2012, 05:55 PM

Looking pretty fantastic even on YT
Pre-order link at WOMAD as well

amoergosum likes this.
post #14 of 25 Old 07-30-2012, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Anyone pick this up yet?
post #15 of 25 Old 07-30-2012, 06:04 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post

Anyone pick this up yet?

I have a copy on the way, but probably wont get here until next week.

post #16 of 25 Old 07-31-2012, 12:02 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Anyone pick this up yet?

Yup. Watched some of it over the weekend. Sounds fantastic, very well mixed. PQ is very good, keeping in mind this was mastered from 16mm film. Every now and again I noticed a "Lowry-ish" frozen grain field, but on the whole the HD mastering is quite good.

I never realized Paula Cole was his back-up in that concert until watching this bluray! Very cool.

In short, I'm very pleased with this release!!!
post #17 of 25 Old 07-31-2012, 01:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Blu-ray.com review:

Video: 3/5
Audio: 4.5/5

Quote:
Peter Gabriel Secret World Live is presented on Blu-ray courtesy of Eagle Vision (a division of Eagle Rock Entertainment) with an AVC encoded 1080i transfer in 1.78:1. The liner notes for this release contain the following information:

The original 16mm film negatives were repaired/cleaned and scanned (at super 2K) to a file sequence for mastering and restoration. The 2K sequence is the resolution we view in cinemas, and as such, the concert is now available in high definition without comprosmise. Once scanned, the footage was digitally restored and graded (by award winning colourist Ray King) to allow fans to view the concert as never been seen before.

The one salient piece of information in that quote is 16mm. No matter how much restoration and digital tweaking is done to particular source elements, there's only so much information available in the source elements themselves, and let's face it, 16mm isn't exactly a reference quality format (even if some 16mm material pops relatively well in high definition). So fans must come to this outing with appropriate expectations. Those expectations should include foreknowledge that a lot of this concert is incredibly soft, to the point where midrange shots are little more than fuzzy blurs of color. Close-ups do reasonably well, but even those lack the level of fine object detail that we've come to expect from more recent contemporary concert footage. Colors are also decently robust and contrast is at acceptable levels, but this is certainly not going to set any videophile's heart on fire, no matter how much laudable restoration was done to get it to this condition.
Quote:
Peter Gabriel Secret World Live features both a lossless DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround mix as well as an uncompressed LPCM 2.0 stereo fold down. While fidelity is exceptional on both of these offerings, what may strike some listeners as at least a little surprising is how sparse, even spacious, these arrangements are. Much like the general performance ethos here, there's nothing that assaults the listener, no huge effects, no massed instruments, just carefully layered lines and (especially) percussion, aspects that would come to define Gabriel's increasing importance in World Music. The 5.1 mix nicely separates the players and keeps the crowd noises anchored to the rear channels, where they hardly ever intrude to the point of distraction. The mix itself is very well handled, with Gabriel's slightly raspy vocals out front, followed by Cole's ethereal contributions and then backed up by the stellar instrumentalists.

Source:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Peter-Gabriel-Secret-World-Live-Blu-ray/43703/#Review
post #18 of 25 Old 08-02-2012, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

i had a chance to watch this and did a quick comparison to the DVD.

PQ is worlds above the DVD. There is lots of grain visible throughout, but it;s a nice fine filmlike grain. I'm not going to be as critical watching this due to it's ancestry, but I didn't see a lot of other processing going on. Maybe it's because I could finally watch the concert without fuming about the picture or maybe it's because I was watching Paula Cole wink.gif , but I think they did a nice job. The DVD is absolutely unwatchable. Ragged golf ball sized grain with a bunch of digital noise and EE. There is no comparison, the BD will probably be the best this ever looks.

AQ is great. I didn't do a full concert comparison with the DVD but it doesn't sound as compressed. I'm not going to say it's the best concert BD I've ever heard but it's pretty darn good.

My DVD is getting dumped today!
post #19 of 25 Old 08-02-2012, 05:45 PM

I got it also and think the above review is beyond harsh, what were they expecting? I think it looks great when you consider the source.
post #20 of 25 Old 08-03-2012, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

I got it also and think the above review is beyond harsh, what were they expecting? I think it looks great when you consider the source.

I think you better read my review again. I gave the BD a rave review. How is that beyond harsh?
post #21 of 25 Old 08-03-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

I think you better read my review again. I gave the BD a rave review. How is that beyond harsh?
Quote:
to the point where midrange shots are little more than fuzzy blurs of color. Close-ups do reasonably well, but even those lack the level of fine object detail that we've come to expect from more recent contemporary concert footage.

That would be harsh, comparing it to a modern digital or even 35mm film, plus 3/5 is a rave? that would be average
post #22 of 25 Old 08-05-2012, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Are you two talking past each other? Tri-todes, I don't think Mike was talking about your review, he was talking about the one referenced one post above it. Correct me if I'm wrong.
post #23 of 25 Old 08-05-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:

Are you two talking past each other? Tri-todes, I don't think Mike was talking about your review, he was talking about the one referenced one post above it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yep, that's where I was also... I was talking about the Review, not the post, I just thought by the reaction that he wrote it for BR.com
post #24 of 25 Old 11-11-2012, 11:13 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Finally got to this disc last night and WOW, what a show. It has aged well from my last DVD viewing years ago. The PQ is MILES better than the DVD and a significant upgrade. AQ is absolutely incredible and the clear star of the show here with an aggressive and VERY well mixed DTS track. Paula Cole adds so much to Gabriel's music and is mesmerizing in this show. eek.gif Well worth the upgrade from the DVD and I will get many watches out of this. Makes up for the complete disappointment of the New Blood blu as well which was terrible IMO.

post #25 of 25 Old 11-11-2012, 11:26 AM

It is a stunning disc indeed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page