Blu-rays Will Now Have Two Unskippable Warnings - Page 5 - AVS Forum
First ... 3  4  5
Blu-ray Software > Blu-rays Will Now Have Two Unskippable Warnings
jonnythan's Avatar jonnythan 09:12 AM 05-15-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeb View Post

The "person" (aka the criminal) in that scenario has still received a good or service that they were not entitled to. The criminal has still stolen, just as those who download music, movies, and tv shows for free are stealing. Obtaining goods or services that cost money, without paying said money, is called stealing. No amount of justification from kids/young adults with an overdeveloped sense of entitlement will change that.

I weep for the future...

Yes, the person is a criminal. The crime they committed is not "theft" however.

Still, we weren't talking about that. Someone made the point that not every download is a "lost sale." I know people who have downloaded the equivalent of a million dollars worth of music - obviously they would not have actually bought that much.

The even bigger point here is that the content publication companies are attempting to wage a war on pirates, but are actually waging a war on the paying consumer. The pirates are completely unaffected by any of this nonsense.

Morpheo's Avatar Morpheo 09:19 AM 05-15-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnythan View Post

Still, we weren't talking about that. Someone made the point that not every download is a "lost sale." I know people who have downloaded the equivalent of a million dollars worth of music - obviously they would not have actually bought that much.

That's the problem. They shouldn't have had access to it.

...Bottom line when I want to watch a movie I pay for it, whether it's at the theater, on Blu-ray or iTunes, I have to pay for it. And while it's been said numerous times that these unskippable warnings won't stop piracy, they also won't stop me from purchasing my movies, cause that reasoning to me seems utterly stupid. I mean, 10 seconds...big deal.
Steeb's Avatar Steeb 09:20 AM 05-15-2012
Quote:

Yes, the person is a criminal. The crime they committed is not "theft" however.

I've never understood the entitled youth of today who seem to think it's perfectly fine to steal things that they claim they never would have purchased in the first place.

Again, I weep for the future...
pokekevin's Avatar pokekevin 09:44 AM 05-15-2012
Quote:

I've never understood the entitled youth of today who seem to think it's perfectly fine to steal things that they claim they never would have purchased in the first place.

Its not just the youth that download you know? Consider how many people these days that buy bootlegs. Also consider that a large amount of tv show downloaders aren't "kids" either. I have a hunch that all the previous generations, if given the ability to, would download just as much as the "youth" of now.

This thread really is going no where! Just bickering :/
HDMe2's Avatar HDMe2 10:02 AM 05-15-2012
Quote:

Right there with you. I honestly for a second thought it was worth a conversation... but when people dig in with "it isn't stealing" and "if it was cheap or free then I wouldn't have to steal it" or whatever reason to justify why it is someone else to blame for them stealing (and they don't think they stole anyway)...

There's no point of debating further when someone entrenches with that unreasonable of a position. I've even asked "what if" it were their product for sale and their product that was being stolen... and they will assure you that they would let their product be stolen like that, apparently... but I guarantee they don't feel that way if push comes to shove. They will just never admit it until the table is turned.
HDMe2's Avatar HDMe2 10:04 AM 05-15-2012
Quote:

It's not a lost ticket sale unless the person would have otherwise spent the cash to go in.

Do you even realize how silly that statement is?

Obviously they weren't willing to pay for it or they wouldn't have stolen it!

That's like saying... robbing that bank was ok, because I wasn't going to otherwise go in there and make a withdrawal.

I wasn't going to buy your car from you, so going to your driveway and picking the lock and hotwiring it to take for a drive is ok... because I didn't steal anything from you since I wasn't going to pay you for it anyway.

Really?

Really?
jonnythan's Avatar jonnythan 10:05 AM 05-15-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

Right there with you. I honestly for a second thought it was worth a conversation... but when people dig in with "it isn't stealing" and "if it was cheap or free then I wouldn't have to steal it" or whatever reason to justify why it is someone else to blame for them stealing (and they don't think they stole anyway)...

It's not stealing. It's, literally, not stealing. It's a crime but the crime is not theft or stealing.

If you're so gung-ho on debating and discussing the topic like a rational adult, you shouldn't start out by using the wrong term for it.
rboster's Avatar rboster 10:06 AM 05-15-2012
This thread has run it's course. Please remember we don't allow discussions about illegal downloads on AVS.
First ... 3  4  5

Up
Mobile  Desktop