Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Too bad it is not scope

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2012, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by davide View Post

No

Quoted for truth.

Big, dumb, messy plot, too many characters, lots of setups and false leads for other Marvel movie tie-in's. (ways to get more of your money), etc. Much better than Transformers 1-3, but I thought those were piles of crap.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Old 05-21-2012, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

Quoted for truth.

Big, dumb, messy plot, too many characters, lots of setups and false leads for other Marvel movie tie-in's. (ways to get more of your money), etc. Much better than Transformers 1-3, but I thought those were piles of crap.

I did the marvel marathon. that was a lot of fun. I had more fun watching them together then it standing on its own. there are alot of threads from the other films for avengers to address.

its a bit unfair to compare it to transformers. those movies are crap anyways.. better to compare it to other superheroes movies. besides the dc vs marvel.

i still consider superman the movie the grandfather of the superheroes movies.

Jacob
Old 05-21-2012, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 423
The movie completely delivered the comic book goods for me. It's good old fashioned fun, neither dumb nor intellectually pretentious.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:

Quoted for truth.

Big, dumb, messy plot, too many characters, lots of setups and false leads for other Marvel movie tie-in's. (ways to get more of your money), etc.

Bingo! I didn't like it much at all. I was expecting nerd heaven, instead I got a typically stoopid blockbuster. I must have seen a different film than the one the rest of the world saw.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I'm a comic nerd and was in nerd heaven watching it.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 View Post

I did the marvel marathon. that was a lot of fun. I had more fun watching them together then it standing on its own. there are alot of threads from the other films for avengers to address.

its a bit unfair to compare it to transformers. those movies are crap anyways.. better to compare it to other superheroes movies. besides the dc vs marvel.

i still consider superman the movie the grandfather of the superheroes movies.

Jacob

Superman: The Movie was epic film making. It is one of the best superhero films bar none. Gene Hackman's Lex Luthor still cracks me up.

"MISS TESCHMACHER!!!!"

When Superman rescues Lois from the earthquake only to find that she's dead; that scene is heartbreaking. Chris Reeve hit the roll out of the park. He was and always will be Superman.

John Williams' iconic theme is fantastic... almost anyone who hears it knows what movie it's from.

I doubt The Avengers will have the same mental staying power years from now.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

Bingo! I didn't like it much at all. I was expecting nerd heaven, instead I got a typically stoopid blockbuster. I must have seen a different film than the one the rest of the world saw.

I agree you must have seen a different film.

I was not keen on this whole Avengers film from the beginning. I also resented all the intrusive Avengers build up sub-plots forced into the various super hero movies, which never seemed to do anything but sit awkwardly like advertisements. And I didn't even see the last Hulk film or Captain America.

But this movie was a blast! I was consistently amazed at how skillfully it was put together, how it juggled all the balls so expertly, and how it kept me entertained.

I know of course that movie viewing is subjective, but I'm just not sure what someone who was disappointed with this movie could realistically have been expecting.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

I agree you must have seen a different film.

I was not keen on this whole Avengers film from the beginning. I also resented all the intrusive Avengers build up sub-plots forced into the various super hero movies, which never seemed to do anything but sit awkwardly like advertisements. And I didn't even see the last Hulk film or Captain America.

But this movie was a blast! I was consistently amazed at how skillfully it was put together, how it juggled all the balls so expertly, and how it kept me entertained.

I know of course that movie viewing is subjective, but I'm just not sure what someone who was disappointed with this movie could realistically have been expecting.

The entire Avengers movie was one giant advertisement for a new Hulk reboot, a Samuel L. Jackson vehicle, a Black Widow movie, etc. etc. This bugged the hell out of me.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I really liked 'The Avengers' and am looking forward to the Region B BD release. It was thoroughly entertaining from start to finish and left you wanting for more. Joss Whedon did a fantastic job of assembling the star studded cast & giving all of the avengers appropriate screen time. The dialog was fantastic and the movie had lots of moments of applause in it which identifies its appeal to the audience. It's one of the most entertaining movie in years and has over-achieved by a lot at the domestic and international box office because of how entertaining and fun filled the movie really is. Transformers trilogy was entertaining as well but this one is just more complete from all aspects. The numbers can't lie.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:22 PM
Advanced Member

I went to see this as one of the big Summer movie flicks which will be an extension of the Marvel comics. I was expecting it to be good but I was not expecting to be blown away by how good, entertaining and exciting this movie was. It had a solid story, acting, direction, dialog, humor, moments and action sequences.
My son couldn't sit in his seat seeing his superheroes in action and his smile was a mile wide. :-)
Before the Summer blockbusters started showing my most anticipated movie of the Summer was TDKR. The way 'The Avengers' has stolen the thunder of all movies this Summer makes it a tough ask for TDKR to top this. It's in danger of not meeting great expectations IMO. However, I hope I come out of the theater as blown away seeing TDKR as I came out after this one.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Will pick this up first thing. Too bad it is not scope, but will be there in the AM on day and date.

16:9 is the OAR for this film in theaters. I'm tempted to grab the 3D release, but will probably go for the 2D unless I can get the 3D on a deal (since this film wasn't shot in 3D and it's a post-conversion).

Fight mediocrity: Insist on BD50 discs for all movies longer than 100 minutes, optimized video encodes that fully utilize the available space, lossless audio track, and new masters for catalog titles!
Old 05-21-2012, 11:41 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:

Will pick this up first thing. Too bad it is not scope, but will be there in the AM on day and date.

Will definitely pick this up on day 1 have to admit not too bothered if not in scope. Screen is still very large regardless

Frank
Old 05-22-2012, 12:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by reanimator View Post

It was an entertaining movie. Better than IRON MAN 2, but not as good as IRON MAN 1 in my opinion.

Good thing you said. " In my opinion."
Old 05-22-2012, 12:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Something I wasn't expecting
Old 05-22-2012, 12:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 818
For Marvel geeks, this movie had an intense interest unlike any of the other flicks.
The fact it was pulled off so well is little short of a miracle.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Old 05-22-2012, 03:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

Its musical theme is the only thing I found lacking in The Avengers movie; otherwise, it has plenty of staying-power..

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
Old 05-22-2012, 05:25 AM
Blues In Thirds

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenjabil View Post

More to the point, does anyone know if this will be region free? What's Disney's track record on region coding European releases? With a 27 day delta in release dates (3 weeks after allowing for shipping), it may be worth importing this.

I going to gamble that for DVD it will be region specific but probably not for Bluray.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 341
^^^ if I'm not mistaken Disney's are usually locked.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Will definitely pick this up on day 1 have to admit not too bothered if not in scope. Screen is still very large regardless

It never bothers me if a film is not in scope.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:

The entire Avengers movie was one giant advertisement for a new Hulk reboot, a Samuel L. Jackson vehicle, a Black Widow movie, etc. etc. This bugged the hell out of me.

I disagree that it was just a big "advertisement", but even so, I don't understand this criticism. Why wouldn't you want the movie to portray the characters so well that you want to see more of them? Would you prefer that people come away saying to themselves "I hated all these characters, and I never want to see them again"? Maybe you're just saying you don't like these characters, period.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are you saying that you don't want any of those films? Are those characters unworthy of cinema? Are you a long-time super Avengers nerd and just don't like how Disney/Marvel is treating your favorite team? I can understand if that's the case - I HATED the newest X-Men film despite being an X-Men nerd for the past 30 years.

You must have been looking for something that wasn't there. I've seen the movie three times in the theater so far (and I'm going a fourth time this weekend) and each time the film has been only about the threat at hand and the team coming together to defeat it. I'll look for those ads this time.

If Black Widow gets her own film, it would probably be pretty good. I thought she was a completely bland character in Iron Man 2, but her role in Avengers has me wanting more. As for Hulk... I would gladly accept a third film as long as they don't use a 4th actor to portray him - Ruffalo makes a great Banner. I'm not sure where you're getting the vibe that Fury will get his own film, though. If anything, he'll continue to have cameos in other films and probably a strong supporting role in a Black Widow film (if they make one).
Old 05-22-2012, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Can't wait for this BD is really the understatement of the century, no?
Old 05-22-2012, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 92
Quote:

Superman: The Movie was epic film making. It is one of the best superhero films bar none. Gene Hackman's Lex Luthor still cracks me up.

"MISS TESCHMACHER!!!!"

When Superman rescues Lois from the earthquake only to find that she's dead; that scene is heartbreaking. Chris Reeve hit the roll out of the park. He was and always will be Superman.

John Williams' iconic theme is fantastic... almost anyone who hears it knows what movie it's from.

Funny, the last time I watched the original Superman movies, I thought "Man is this boring!" Those movies weren't made for comic book fans like today's Dark Knight or Marvel movies. They were geared toward the "Best Film award winner" crowd. Nothing wrong with that, but two different audiences. Of course, my wife loves those Superman movies.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhufnagel View Post

Funny, the last time I watched the original Superman movies, I thought "Man is this boring!" Those movies weren't made for comic book fans like today's Dark Knight or Marvel movies. They were geared toward the "Best Film award winner" crowd. Nothing wrong with that, but two different audiences. Of course, my wife loves those Superman movies.

How old are you out of interest? I wonder if growing up with different movies about makes a difference.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:55 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_danger View Post

Are you saying that you don't want any of those films? Are those characters unworthy of cinema? Are you a long-time super Avengers nerd and just don't like how Disney/Marvel is treating your favorite team? I can understand if that's the case - I HATED the newest X-Men film despite being an X-Men nerd for the past 30 years.

You must have been looking for something that wasn't there. I've seen the movie three times in the theater so far (and I'm going a fourth time this weekend) and each time the film has been only about the threat at hand and the team coming together to defeat it. I'll look for those ads this time.

If Black Widow gets her own film, it would probably be pretty good. I thought she was a completely bland character in Iron Man 2, but her role in Avengers has me wanting more. As for Hulk... I would gladly accept a third film as long as they don't use a 4th actor to portray him - Ruffalo makes a great Banner. I'm not sure where you're getting the vibe that Fury will get his own film, though. If anything, he'll continue to have cameos in other films and probably a strong supporting role in a Black Widow film (if they make one).

I would love to see black widow and hawkeye star together in there own film it will be nice to learn a bit more about them and it will tie in well with the avengers. Personally hope they do another Hulk film, not a tv show though.

Bring on September yee hoo!!

Frank
Old 05-22-2012, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

How old are you out of interest? I wonder if growing up with different movies about makes a difference.

I'm 55 years old and saw all of those Superman movies in the theatre when they came out (well except for the Richard Pryor one). I've always have been a huge comic book geek and at the time I really enjoyed those movies. I also loved the Tim Burton Batman movies. But comic book movies are really more like comic books nowadays (at least IMO) and to me are more what superhero's are all about.

I don't have a problem watching "serious" movies either. But when I want to watch pure fantasy, I want to get away from it all and have the action dominate.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhufnagel View Post

I'm 55 years old and saw all of those Superman movies in the theatre when they came out (well except for the Richard Pryor one). I've always have been a huge comic book geek and at the time I really enjoyed those movies. I also loved the Tim Burton Batman movies. But comic book movies are really more like comic books nowadays (at least IMO) and to me are more what superhero's are all about.

I don't have a problem watching "serious" movies either. But when I want to watch pure fantasy, I want to get away from it all and have the action dominate.

Interesting, I am in my 30's and grew up with Burton/Donner and I still look to them for definitive big budget thrills.
I loved Avengers its my second favorite superhero movie after The Rocketeer,
it was amazing fun but the CGI-ness of these movies can leave me cold the old school effects work always wins for me.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Superman: The Movie and Burton's '89 Batman are where it's at for me. I'm 34 this year. The Avengers still knocked my sock off, though. My old Dad loved it as well, he's 65.

Some people are just dead inside. Dead.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul_duke View Post

Superman: The Movie and Burton's '89 Batman are where it's at for me. I'm 34 this year. The Avengers still knocked my sock off, though. My old Dad loved it as well, he's 65.

Superhero movies and the Harry Potter movies have been the only movies the whole family will go see together anymore. My two sons are 19 and 17 while my wife is 53.