Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 50 Old 05-27-2012, 05:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyslammer View Post

Agree with everything you say although I don't think the movie is quite down to the level of "mediocre." On a scale of 1 - 10, 10 being best, I'd give it a 5. "Average."

8 here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 Old 06-06-2012, 04:12 PM

Liked: 10
Just bought this disc and it will not load on my DMP-BD80 Blu-Ray player. Thought it was defective, so I tried it on my Sony BDP-S350 and had no problem.

I decided to return it and try another copy. I upgraded the firmware on the BD-80 and thought that would solve the loading problem. No such luck. Then I tried it in the Sony S350 and had no problem. The Sony is an older player which I have not upgraded the firmware and it plays the disc. Go figure!

Anybody having problems with this disc. Just checking. Any suggestions on solving the problem with the Panny DMP-BD80 Blu-Ray player?
post #33 of 50 Old 06-06-2012, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I watched it tonight on my Panasonic BDT100 with no problems. So it doesn't seem to be an issue with all Panasonic players. Sorry to hear you had troubles.

PETER JACKSON: The theatrical versions are the definitive versions.
post #34 of 50 Old 06-07-2012, 10:27 AM

Lucky you.

Just talked to Panasonic Canada and the lady told me to put an SD card in and play the movie and all should be well. I asked even if I had already installed the new firmware. She said yes.

Does this sound correct? Anybody heard of this?
post #35 of 50 Old 06-08-2012, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I liked the movie, and of course Edgar's imagination. I liked the Mar's creatures better than the rasta ones in Star Wars.
post #36 of 50 Old 06-08-2012, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun View Post

Just bought this disc and it will not load on my DMP-BD80 Blu-Ray player. Thought it was defective, so I tried it on my Sony BDP-S350 and had no problem.

I decided to return it and try another copy. I upgraded the firmware on the BD-80 and thought that would solve the loading problem. No such luck. Then I tried it in the Sony S350 and had no problem. The Sony is an older player which I have not upgraded the firmware and it plays the disc. Go figure!
Anybody having problems with this disc. Just checking. Any suggestions on solving the problem with the Panny DMP-BD80 Blu-Ray player?

No problem playing the 2D version on either a Panny BD30 or BD50.
post #37 of 50 Old 06-08-2012, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 188
I read these books when I was a kid in the Fifties. They were 40 years old then. Yet the Mars of Robert A Heinlein and the mars of Ray Bradbury had no trouble co-existing in my youthful imagination with the Barsoom of Edgar Rice Burroughs. And none of these visions of Mars match in any substantial way with what we now know to be true.

I can't separate this movie, and my hopes/expectations for it, from that young boy's capacity for wonder. (The Golden Age of Science Fiction... is 12, to paraphrase Damon Knight.) But it's not science fiction in any way, shape, or form. Saying "Mars" seems like false advertising. Saying "Barsoom" sounds silly. This movie, and the books it's based on, are fantasy. Pure and unadulterated. What little basis in science there ever was is now long-superceded.

I think this movie might have been an impossible sell no matter what they did. The mistake they made was to try to be reasonably faithful to the source material.

That they did is why I loved it. But my reasons for loving it have almost nothing in common with what contemporary audiences are looking for in a movie, so I'm not surprised it tanked. Yes, the marketing gave it a long head-start towards failure, but so did the fact that it's a mix of the contemporary and the archaic in a context that has to be explained to people who aren't interested in explanations.

I'm very happy the movie was allowed to be made, without twisting the Burroughs-ness of it entirely out of recognition, at all.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #38 of 50 Old 06-11-2012, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I watched this last week and found it average at best. I never really understood half of what the characters were talking about and the movie just seemed off a bit. Average CGI, very average acting. Rent don't buy, IMO.
post #39 of 50 Old 06-11-2012, 09:22 AM

I liked this movie, found it entertaining; 7/10.cool.gif
post #40 of 50 Old 06-14-2012, 07:14 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

8 here

That's good hopefully i will get a chance to watch it next week.

Frank

post #41 of 50 Old 06-16-2012, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tardis26 View Post

I liked this movie, found it entertaining; 7/10.cool.gif

Same here. Maybe better than 7.
post #42 of 50 Old 06-17-2012, 05:38 AM

Watched this with my son. Not one "mystery theater 3000' like comment out of him the whole time so give it 3 stars. I wish I had taped him when we watched Ghost rider - SOV, what a hoot.

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman"

post #43 of 50 Old 06-17-2012, 03:46 PM

Got my 4th copy and this one finally played on my Panny DMP-BD80. Now I am a happy camper.

I enjoyed the movie. Too bad it was a bust in the theater. I was looking forward to a sequel.
post #44 of 50 Old 06-20-2012, 07:41 AM
CIH USER

Watching this tonight hope this is better than the last 2 films i watched ( ghostrider 2/coriolanus)

Frank

post #45 of 50 Old 06-21-2012, 05:14 AM
CIH USER

I actually enjoyed this very much im glad i bought it definitely has replay value. I wish there was a sequel.

Frank

post #46 of 50 Old 06-21-2012, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I enjoyed it as well. The books are public domain (first 5 anyway) and are available on all 3 major ebook platforms for free, so I downloaded them and read the first, then rewatched the film.

There was some basic plot and character monkeying, some necessary, and some not, but overall I thought the movie substantially captured the book and translated it well to a movie. It's a quick read for those who are curious.
post #47 of 50 Old 06-23-2012, 04:06 AM

I've had the same not playing problem on a Samsung blu-ray player. Haven't yet tried it on my other player.
post #48 of 50 Old 06-25-2012, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I actually enjoyed this very much im glad i bought it definitely has replay value. I wish there was a sequel.

+1
I said several times the film didn't tempt me, well I couldn't have been more wrong. If only Disney had gotten their marketing campaign as good as their Blu-ray presentation... Apparently there is still hope for sequels...fingers crossed! But I'm glad the film does stand on its own.
post #49 of 50 Old 06-25-2012, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
One word review - meh.

Seems like the kind of story that needed a lot more time to flesh out in detail - two parter, and I usually hate that but this story needed it. Could have been more interesting.

The lead, Taylor Kitsch, is extremely douchey. He has no dramatic depth and the role needs a quality lead to ground it.

Nice to see most of the crew from Rome in a movie again. I could watch Purefoy and Hinds read from old Captain Kangaroo transcripts and enjoy it.

When the lead is the weakest acted role, trouble ensues...
post #50 of 50 Old 08-03-2013, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun View Post

Ok, really late, but, I was trying to watch this with my brother on a Sharp BD-HP20U at my Uncle's vacation house and it kept getting stuck just after the "pick language" screen. I would load to that screen, we'd pick "English Language" and then it would just go black and nothing, front display showed "0000". We waited several minutes. So, we just popped in the DVD and watched the movie.
I later tried to update the firmware, but, it wouldn't load the USB drive as I used OS X and it got confused by all the (hidden) files on the drive (reformatted 'FAT', it came as FAT32).

I got both it and the book from Amazon John Carter and the Gods of Hollywood, that in the early chapter notes that after becoming in the public domain EVERYONE "mined it for content", e.g. note Leia's bikini and what Dejah Thoris is wearing (the book has two pages of compare/contrast between the Barsoom series and Star Wars), and the usual pulp: Flash Gordon, etc. and even noting the unfortunate timing of Avatar that also has many similarities to John Carter. I must say I liked it, but, now reading this book, I'm realizing that I do much more enjoy the more nuanced characters of today (also why Avatar was good visual feast but not intellectual, very much unlike Prometheus).

erik g
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
John Carter Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page