Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 177 Old 08-21-2012, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Colohtpc,

Just save up for a better sub instead of buying one that probably won't handle these powerful bass tracks much better. The HSU VTF-15H 15" ported sub is great for the money as are a few others. It'll slam pretty hard even at moderate levels. It's not always about the volume, it's the quality of the reproduction.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 177 Old 08-21-2012, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

Colohtpc,
Just save up for a better sub instead of buying one that probably won't handle these powerful bass tracks much better. The HSU VTF-15H 15" ported sub is great for the money as are a few others. It'll slam pretty hard even at moderate levels. It's not always about the volume, it's the quality of the reproduction.

Thanks!! Been checking the Sub Threads,,,now back to Hunger Games.

post #93 of 177 Old 08-22-2012, 06:02 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumlad View Post

Some of the fight scenes were annoying to watch because of the camera work - but aside from that, I didn't find myself even thinking about it. It's likely the case that some people are more sensitive to shakiness.
Yeah, actaully, I just didn't even notice it. OMG. biggrin.gif
post #94 of 177 Old 08-22-2012, 02:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Walker View Post

Yeah, actaully, I just didn't even notice it. OMG. biggrin.gif
For me, the only shaky-cam I remember specifically noticing was when she was running from the fire. The rest seemed tame enough to not bother me. This was definitely not a Michael Bay rock tumbler in an earthquake while jumping on a pogo stick production.
post #95 of 177 Old 08-22-2012, 07:07 PM

Liked: 11
Another Twilight, and not my type
post #96 of 177 Old 08-22-2012, 11:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucew0617 View Post

Another Twilight, and not my type

You are wrong. smile.gif
post #97 of 177 Old 08-23-2012, 01:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Solid View Post

You are wrong. smile.gif
Agreed.wink.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #98 of 177 Old 08-23-2012, 04:05 AM

Interesting. Hmm...Well, so stuck to the plot, will check it out on weekends. smile.gif

This was meant to reply "NetworkTV", it seems that I wrote in the wrong place. eek.gif
post #99 of 177 Old 08-23-2012, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

For me, the only shaky-cam I remember specifically noticing was when she was running from the fire. The rest seemed tame enough to not bother me. This was definitely not a Michael Bay rock tumbler in an earthquake while jumping on a pogo stick production.
Interesting. Hmm...Well, so stuck to the plot, will check it out on weekends. smile.gif
eek.gif It seems that I wrote in the wrong place.
post #100 of 177 Old 08-23-2012, 11:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 406
I went into brain lock and failed to subscribe to this thread until now, although I have been posting to The Hunger Games thread in the DVD Movies forum. My BD of The Hunger Games came today and I will watch it tonight. Will report my impressions of the BD after I watch it.

I saw the film at the Moore Warren IMAX, a brand new, state of the art, IMAX theater, which has the largest digital IMAX screen in the country. The frequent use of shaky cam and quick cutting bothered me in the theater. In retrospect, though, I think that the problem may have been exacerbated because I sat too close to the screen. When I have gone back for other IMAX films I have taken a seat farther away from the screen and it's worked well, although nothing I have seen since has contained nearly as much shaky cam and quick cutting as The Hunger Games. Anyway, the film is very exciting and has a large and talented ensemble cast, particularly Jennifer Lawrence and Elizabeth Banks. I read, and loved, all three books of The Hunger Games Trilogy and thought the film did a worthy job or retelling the story of the first one.

By the way, PCM is lossless audio, which means that the digital bits and bites that were recorded at the source are sent to the reproduction equipment just as they were received at the source. In short, lossless audio is lossless audio, whether it it DTS-HD MA, Dolby TrueHD, or PCM.
post #101 of 177 Old 08-23-2012, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
I highly recommend checking out the two hour making-of special on the extras disc. Really interesting stuff. They dig into how they approached the subject matter and dealt with the challenges of adapting a book that's told from a first-person perspective and has a lot of "inner thoughts" type of content. What's also interesting is how conscious everyone was about not making the violence the focus of the entertainment or making it too literal for fear of becoming exactly what the book is condemning.
post #102 of 177 Old 08-23-2012, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I've read the book and watched the BR (loved the books) - I like the movie on the whole, but it definitely wasn't perfect. Some parts really missed the mark (the obviously fake CG made the chariot entrance quite lame, soliciting the exact opposite effect it should've). I'd say 3/5 would be a good rating for the film; it felt like a Coles notes version of the novel.

As an aside, I found this fake youtube trailer to be pretty funny (it isn't completely accurate, but 75% of it is hilarious) biggrin.gif

post #103 of 177 Old 08-23-2012, 07:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I watched my BD of The Hunger Games this evening and enjoyed it. After I saw the film in the theater, I gave it only 7 Stars out of10. That was primarily because there was so much shaky cam and so many quick cuts I got frustrated. Tonight, though, that mostly didn't bother me and I was able to improve on the most grievous examples. For about two minutes after the games started, with the kids running for the goodies and fighting each other for their lives, there was so much of it, I went back and watched those two minutes a frame at a time. Because of how bad it was in real time, looking at it frame by frame was fun. New information was provided every time I moved on. As a result of finally being able to see what happened at that critical juncture, I have raised my rating of the movie to 8 Stars out of 10.

The 7.1 HD audio, especially the LFE, was sensational. The surround effects could not have been better and the scenes with heavy bass were a revelation. For example, early in the film, before the games, when the hoover craft flew over the woods where Katniss and Gale were hunting there was a lot of shaky cam. I hardly noticed it, though, because the LFE had already started to make my viewing room shake.smile.gif

I was fairly underwhelmed by the two hours of extras, most of which involved the director, some of the actors, and some executives puffing the film. It was shot in HD though, so it wasn't a complete loss.

All in all I enjoyed The Hunger Games more on BD than I had in the theater and recommend it.
post #104 of 177 Old 08-24-2012, 12:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I watched my BD of The Hunger Games this evening and enjoyed it. After I saw the film in the theater, I gave it only 7 Stars out of10. That was primarily because there was so much shaky cam and so many quick cuts I got frustrated. Tonight, though, that mostly didn't bother me and I was able to improve on the most grievous examples. For about two minutes after the games started, with the kids running for the goodies and fighting each other for their lives, there was so much of it, I went back and watched those two minutes a frame at a time. Because of how bad it was in real time, looking at it frame by frame was fun. New information was provided every time I moved on. As a result of finally being able to see what happened at that critical juncture, I have raised my rating of the movie to 8 Stars out of 10.
Very interesting...I might have to do the same (now that I have purchased the BD).

Quote:
I was fairly underwhelmed by the two hours of extras, most of which involved the director, some of the actors, and some executives puffing the film. It was shot in HD though, so it wasn't a complete loss..
I rarely look at EXTRAS, for that very reason.wink.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #105 of 177 Old 08-24-2012, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I was fairly underwhelmed by the two hours of extras, most of which involved the director, some of the actors, and some executives puffing the film.

Wow, I had the exact opposite reaction. I thought the stuff on the sound design alone made it worth watching. I thought it was cool seeing "behind the curtain" on the editing process too.
post #106 of 177 Old 08-24-2012, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I went into brain lock and failed to subscribe to this thread until now, although I have been posting to The Hunger Games thread in the DVD Movies forum. My BD of The Hunger Games came today and I will watch it tonight. Will report my impressions of the BD after I watch it.
I saw the film at the Moore Warren IMAX, a brand new, state of the art, IMAX theater, which has the largest digital IMAX screen in the country. The frequent use of shaky cam and quick cutting bothered me in the theater. In retrospect, though, I think that the problem may have been exacerbated because I sat too close to the screen. When I have gone back for other IMAX films I have taken a seat farther away from the screen and it's worked well, although nothing I have seen since has contained nearly as much shaky cam and quick cutting as The Hunger Games. Anyway, the film is very exciting and has a large and talented ensemble cast, particularly Jennifer Lawrence and Elizabeth Banks. I read, and loved, all three books of The Hunger Games Trilogy and thought the film did a worthy job or retelling the story of the first one.
By the way, PCM is lossless audio, which means that the digital bits and bites that were recorded at the source are sent to the reproduction equipment just as they were received at the source. In short, lossless audio is lossless audio, whether it it DTS-HD MA, Dolby TrueHD, or PCM.

I understand the film of book 2 will come out in the fall of 2013. Book 3 will be split into two films to be released in 2014 and 2015. With the success of the first film all the these films I am sure will come to fruition.
post #107 of 177 Old 08-24-2012, 02:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Very interesting...I might have to do the same (now that I have purchased the BD).
I rarely look at EXTRAS, for that very reason.wink.gif
Yeah extras are mostly puff pieces and too many of them aren't even HD. I think directors' commentaries, though, are often interesting and informative. Sometimes the genres cross. For example, Nicholas Winding Refn, who directed Drive, made a very interesting short about the making of the film. It is on the Drive BD.
post #108 of 177 Old 08-26-2012, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member

My God, this movie was TERRIBLE. The only bit of movie magic accomplished was somehow making Elizabeth Banks not hot. When the most convincing natural acting is done by Lenny friggin Kravitz, you know you are just dishing out the film equivalent of cafeteria food to the tween masses.

I would kill 2 kids from each district to get my 2+ hours back. Terrible...
post #109 of 177 Old 08-26-2012, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 42
rented this from redbox and was treated to just dolby digital, although it still sounded great, but I'm left wondering about the DTS MA track.
post #110 of 177 Old 08-27-2012, 12:05 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEC2 View Post

My God, this movie was TERRIBLE. The only bit of movie magic accomplished was somehow making Elizabeth Banks not hot. When the most convincing natural acting is done by Lenny friggin Kravitz, you know you are just dishing out the film equivalent of cafeteria food to the tween masses.
I would kill 2 kids from each district to get my 2+ hours back. Terrible...

Ha ha, yeah, there's just no accounting for taste these days. I can't judge really, as I enjoy a ton of movies and tv shows that other people turn their noses up at. I used to be a HUGE WWE fan for instance, and still have a few pro wrestling blu's in my collection. smile.gif
post #111 of 177 Old 08-28-2012, 03:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckademic View Post

rented this from redbox and was treated to just dolby digital, although it still sounded great, but I'm left wondering about the DTS MA track.
i rented it last night as well, was very disappointed in the dolby digital only soundtrack. I guess some rental copies are different then the store bought copies in sound quality. The movie was pretty good, not great, but good.
post #112 of 177 Old 08-28-2012, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEC2 View Post

My God, this movie was TERRIBLE.

"Now, the world don't move to the beat of just one drum,
What might be right for you, may not be right for some."
post #113 of 177 Old 08-28-2012, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tack View Post

What'choo talkin' 'bout, Willis?

Growing Older But Not Up
post #114 of 177 Old 08-28-2012, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

What'choo talkin' 'bout, Willis?
He's saying it was boring.

post #115 of 177 Old 08-28-2012, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 170
I rather enjoyed the movie, though I watched some stinkers before The Hunger Games (The Devil Inside, Silent House). I thought the Dolby Digital track sounded alright but I miss the openness that I usually notice from a lossless track. I am definitely going to pick this up as I was very surprised with how much I liked it. I didn't think the acting was bad at all. In fact, I thought it was rather believable.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #116 of 177 Old 08-28-2012, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamian View Post

He's saying it was boring.

My post was in regards to his using the 80's sitcom Diff'rent Strokes theme. I was trying to be funny. I failed.redface.gif

Growing Older But Not Up
post #117 of 177 Old 08-28-2012, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

My post was in regards to his using the 80's sitcom Diff'rent Strokes theme. I was trying to be funny. I failed.redface.gif
Since he wasn't trying to say it was boring, I think, I guess I fail as well biggrin.gif

post #118 of 177 Old 08-28-2012, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post

I've read the book and watched the BR (loved the books) - I like the movie on the whole, but it definitely wasn't perfect. Some parts really missed the mark (the obviously fake CG made the chariot entrance quite lame, soliciting the exact opposite effect it should've). I'd say 3/5 would be a good rating for the film; it felt like a Coles notes version of the novel.
As an aside, I found this fake youtube trailer to be pretty funny (it isn't completely accurate, but 75% of it is hilarious) biggrin.gif

Bwaahahhahahahahaha!!!!

Too f--king true!

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #119 of 177 Old 08-28-2012, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
watched it over the weekend and found it to be a nice transfer. no surrounds where br is hooked up so can't comment on audio.

watched with my wife and we both enjoyed the flick which rarely happens. i mean she loves twilight
what can i say.

neflixis our nemesis
post #120 of 177 Old 08-28-2012, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tack View Post

Ms. Garrett thought this movie was terrible.

Dana Plato had a premonition about this movie, and you know what happened there.

Terrible.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page