The Cabin in the Woods - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 69 Old 10-03-2012, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
HDMe2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kittrell, NC
Posts: 5,150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Maybe I give too much credit to Whedon... but I assume that this was poking fun a bit and winking to the camera at the traditional elements of the horror genre, so that's how I watched it. IF I were expecting serious horror, then yeah a lot of stuff doesn't make sense... but I don't think this movie was trying to be that.

As for the "rounding up monsters" thing.. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I have to assume that under normal circumstances only one kind of monster is free at any given time, so much easier for rounding up than the scene we have of all hell breaking loose...

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
HDMe2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 69 Old 10-05-2012, 05:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
NetworkTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: CT
Posts: 15,404
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

Maybe I give too much credit to Whedon... but I assume that this was poking fun a bit and winking to the camera at the traditional elements of the horror genre, so that's how I watched it.
That certainly is what he was going for, but he didn't take it far enough.

There are so many horror cliches they could have exploited to great effect, but instead relied on a burdomsome plot that came off as anti-climactic to me when it all finally came down to the end. All that good will they generated in the middle section got lost when it just kind of coast into the final few minutes with exactly the ending they told us was coming.
NetworkTV is offline  
post #63 of 69 Old 10-27-2012, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
Greg_R_STL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Louis MO
Posts: 543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I watched Cabin in the Woods for the first time tonight, and really enjoyed it. I found the concept to be totally unique, but probably long overdue as a take on the horror genre. Naturally, any film that analyzes its own genre is going to inspire some backlash, but I was well entertained, and I didn't actively hate any of the characters.
Greg_R_STL is offline  
post #64 of 69 Old 10-28-2012, 06:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
NetworkTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: CT
Posts: 15,404
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_R_STL View Post

I watched Cabin in the Woods for the first time tonight, and really enjoyed it. I found the concept to be totally unique, but probably long overdue as a take on the horror genre. Naturally, any film that analyzes its own genre is going to inspire some backlash, but I was well entertained, and I didn't actively hate any of the characters.
If you mean it's overdue in the sense that it's far too late to the party, then I'll agree.

Scream (and it's lesser sequels) did this very thing years ago. Even Shaun of the Dead got into deconstruction of zombie theory a bit, as well. There's also Funny Games from 2007. It's like how the "found footage" category was pretty worn out with all the other attempts following "The Blair Witch Project", though I do think Cloverfield improved on the genre.

My issue isn't that it analyzes itself so much as it fails to offer any depth. Every moment where they could have really stepped into being self aware, it felt like it stepped back as if it were afraid to embrace what it wanted to be. Plus, it felt like it didn't really know how it wanted to get from point A to B to C, with many things that didn't make sense once you got to the conclusion. It's like they had a bunch of ideas on what the movie would lead up to, but forgot to modify the middle portions to jive with that conclusion.

As far as the characters, I didn't hate any of them either. In fact, other than the pothead guy, I didn't give a damn about any of them. I was completely apathetic as to whether they lived or died.
NetworkTV is offline  
post #65 of 69 Old 10-28-2012, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member
 
Greg_R_STL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Louis MO
Posts: 543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

If you mean it's overdue in the sense that it's far too late to the party, then I'll agree.
Scream (and it's lesser sequels) did this very thing years ago. Even Shaun of the Dead got into deconstruction of zombie theory a bit, as well. There's also Funny Games from 2007. It's like how the "found footage" category was pretty worn out with all the other attempts following "The Blair Witch Project", though I do think Cloverfield improved on the genre.
My issue isn't that it analyzes itself so much as it fails to offer any depth. Every moment where they could have really stepped into being self aware, it felt like it stepped back as if it were afraid to embrace what it wanted to be. Plus, it felt like it didn't really know how it wanted to get from point A to B to C, with many things that didn't make sense once you got to the conclusion. It's like they had a bunch of ideas on what the movie would lead up to, but forgot to modify the middle portions to jive with that conclusion.
As far as the characters, I didn't hate any of them either. In fact, other than the pothead guy, I didn't give a damn about any of them. I was completely apathetic as to whether they lived or died.

Granted I haven't seen Funny Games, of the movies you mentioned, only Scream actually made an attempt to deconstruct the genre. Cabin is much more effective, because they don't tell you, they show you. No other movie has used the mechanism of a "horror scenario construction organization" and still had real, no-foolin monsters. The horror genre is beyond starved for new ideas, and look, here it is. The concept alone should make it a classic, and I believe it will be. As far as the story construction, the script, and character actions, I didn't have a single problem with it, because their conceit is that the techs had multiple ways of affecting and controlling behavior. All the actors did a good job with their characters, everyone was well cast. If there's less tension about kills, it's by design. Very good movie.
Greg_R_STL is offline  
post #66 of 69 Old 10-28-2012, 10:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
NetworkTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: CT
Posts: 15,404
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_R_STL View Post

Granted I haven't seen Funny Games, of the movies you mentioned, only Scream actually made an attempt to deconstruct the genre. Cabin is much more effective, because they don't tell you, they show you. No other movie has used the mechanism of a "horror scenario construction organization" and still had real, no-foolin monsters. The horror genre is beyond starved for new ideas, and look, here it is. The concept alone should make it a classic, and I believe it will be. As far as the story construction, the script, and character actions, I didn't have a single problem with it, because their conceit is that the techs had multiple ways of affecting and controlling behavior. All the actors did a good job with their characters, everyone was well cast. If there's less tension about kills, it's by design. Very good movie.
The problem with the horror genre is that the people making the movies have forgotton the "Horror" and have focused on gore. It's not about being scary anymore, so much as making us squeamish. It tries to be disturbing rather than creating real fright. In other words, when in doubt, slit someone's throat, disembowel them or poke thenm in the eye with something sharp.

It's actually the fact that movies now have to show us everything that makes them less scary. Our imaginations are no longer a part of the process, which is far more frightening than anything they might show. When we don't see it, we imagine it in a way that is scary to us, rather than whatever way the filmmaker thinks is scary.

My bet is that this will be forgotten in 5 years, the way Crash, Brokeback Mountain and other "groundbreaking" movies have been.

I just think they would have had a much better movie if they had fleshed everything out better to avoid such a reliance on the gimmick. Then I think they'd have a classic.
NetworkTV is offline  
post #67 of 69 Old 10-28-2012, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member
 
Greg_R_STL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Louis MO
Posts: 543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

The problem with the horror genre is that the people making the movies have forgotton the "Horror" and have focused on gore. It's not about being scary anymore, so much as making us squeamish. It tries to be disturbing rather than creating real fright. In other words, when in doubt, slit someone's throat, disembowel them or poke thenm in the eye with something sharp.
It's actually the fact that movies now have to show us everything that makes them less scary. Our imaginations are no longer a part of the process, which is far more frightening than anything they might show. When we don't see it, we imagine it in a way that is scary to us, rather than whatever way the filmmaker thinks is scary.

I couldn't agree with you more on these points. Good film making and storytelling will always outlast jaded audiences and cynicism in the end. The level of gore shown is actually irrelevant, but many modern films use gore as a crutch.
Greg_R_STL is offline  
post #68 of 69 Old 11-23-2012, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Shaded Dogfood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Terminus and the Lake of Light
Posts: 4,797
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 33
8.99 at Beast Buy Black Friday sale. The website indicates this (and a bunch of others) to be sold out online and not available for pickup, but they're there. They came in in shipping conitainers at the local one, and you had to rifle through the pile. Not a whole lot of Cabin in the Woods ones, however, at 10AM Friday 11/23.

CW Hinkle
Shaded Dogfood is offline  
post #69 of 69 Old 11-23-2012, 08:44 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 12,946
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

8.99 at Beast Buy Black Friday sale. The website indicates this (and a bunch of others) to be sold out online and not available for pickup, but they're there. They came in in shipping conitainers at the local one, and you had to rifle through the pile. Not a whole lot of Cabin in the Woods ones, however, at 10AM Friday 11/23.

Just grabbed CitW on Amazon for $7.99

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Toe is online now  
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off