Titanic - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 244 Old 09-06-2012, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Plenty of blu-rays, especially new films, are close to perfect, with respect to their original photography. I don't consider things like soft shots, opticals, or grain spikes blu-ray flaws though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 244 Old 09-06-2012, 01:13 PM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post

Plenty of blu-rays, especially new films, are close to perfect, with respect to their original photography. I don't consider things like soft shots, opticals, or grain spikes blu-ray flaws though.

Agreed. However, my comment was more so aimed at those that are constantly complaining and always find something to nitpick even in the best of releases.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #93 of 244 Old 09-06-2012, 11:31 PM

Liked: 15
Oh Josh, I missed you.
post #94 of 244 Old 09-07-2012, 10:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by khronikos View Post

Oh Josh, I missed you.

They say that absence makes the heart grow fonder. Apparently, that only works in one direction.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #95 of 244 Old 09-08-2012, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'll be picking this one up as well. wink.gif

Domino's donÂt fall all at once, they fall one at a time...
post #96 of 244 Old 09-08-2012, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post

I don't ever to the +1 thing, but I'm going to right now. +1. I am still amazed what people are saying about Titanic based on the screenshots posted here. There are very minor color changes compared to the DVD, I'll give you that, but it's not overly teal. I sometimes do wonder if people are grasping at straws just to stir the hornets nest. The 2D Bluray transfer looks fantastic.

Usually when there's nothing to complain about slight differences in color timing suddenly become a huge problem.
post #97 of 244 Old 09-08-2012, 11:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kram Sacul View Post

Usually when there's nothing to complain about slight differences in color timing suddenly become a huge problem.
No truer words have ever been posted on AVS.....wink.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #98 of 244 Old 09-09-2012, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Reviews for the 2D and 3D are up at High-Def Digest.

Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project

post #99 of 244 Old 09-09-2012, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by neveser View Post

Reviews for the 2D and 3D are up at High-Def Digest.

Got ours in Tuesday, I need to find a white paper on 3d conversion of a 35mm film in respect to grain.

Because poor Billy looks a little odd here

http://postimage.org/image/b8ugg1zhr/full/
post #100 of 244 Old 09-09-2012, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NagysAudio View Post

Mike, that is complete BS! None of those screencaps are even remotely representative of the Blu-ray, 2D, or 3D. They are compressed, filtered, and DNRed. Sometimes you have a very nasty habit to take things out of context to suit your agenda. You've seen Capsaholic's, bluray.com's, and many other screencaps posted here on AVS to know that what you posted is complete and utter BS. If you continue to slander an absolutely marvelous release, I will report you.

I am quoting this for posterity, I have seen the disc and not once did I mention DNR you did that all my yourself.
Also no agenda, what agenda could I have? I am a CIA plant from Universal sore about HD-DVD what an odd thing to say, worryingly odd in fact.
I asked an honest technical question relating to 3D conversion.
So report away. As I know for a fact you have not seen the disc.
post #101 of 244 Old 09-09-2012, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You posted a picture which is a completely false representation of the Blu-ray. You purposely did this and you are 100% aware that the Blu-ray does not even in the slightest look like what you have posted. That is pretty messed up man. If you don't like the movie that is completely OK, but what you're doing is a new low for an AVS member.

This is gold, and I am actually slightly worried.
And have it all saved smile.gif

Yep
Quote:
12. The film grain

Grain is a characteristic of the recording medium not of vision. This raises problems since stereo-captured images would have completely independent grain profiles, but that neither helps the stereo effect nor reduces eye strain. The mono grain could not be ignored as anything the same in both eyes will have a depth. If grain was added equally to both left and right eyes, it would appear as a wall of grain at the screen plane, like a shower curtain, since only things at the screen plane resolve to the same position in x and y space. If a different approach is taken and a layer of grain is added but offset (but the same structure) would then either be in front or behind the screen – but in either case it would appear as a flat ‘shower curtain of grain. Cinesite never used this approach.

One could degrain the footage and try and remove all grain, but the director specifically wanted to shoot on film and grain is part of the film experience. Degraining can also cut into things such as distant rain, since small rain on screen has many of the same characteristics to a degrain algorithm as grain.

Cinesite’s solution was more traditional. The footage was degrained, which did remove some fine rain, but then this helped as it could be stereoscopically re-added with CG rain. But the grain was added independently to both eyes, simulating what would happen if the film had been shot with a stereo film rig – in this one minor respect. But also not all grain was removed, so some grain would be moved back in 3D-space with the dimensionality of the object that was moved to that position in 3D-space.

http://www.fxguide.com/featured/art-of-stereo-conversion-2d-to-3d-2012/
Quote:
High quality conversion methods should also deal with many typical problems including:
Translucent objects
Reflections
Fuzzy semitransparent object borders – such as hair, fur, foreground out-of-focus objects, thin objects
Film grain (real or artificial) and similar noise effects
Scenes with fast erratic motion
Small particles – rain, snow, explosions and so on.

Thought so, it is part of the 2d plain so it would make things look cardboard cut out if done poorly, and since this is one of the best conversions out there they would have done it right.
The Lowry degrain on Aliens is one of the most natural looking out there, so depending on who did it, Stereo D did the conversion but I am guessing Lowry did the remaster/reframe under Camerons supervision and then sent to Stereo D.
post #102 of 244 Old 09-09-2012, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The film was also digitally restored to a 1.78 restored 4K master by Reliance Mediaworks. They handled the grain reduction and final timing of the film (The Lowry process, as it was known before its acquisition by Reliance in 2008, is aimed at improving the resolution and dynamic range of motion picture imagery while also removing dirt, noise and scratches). The grade needed to account for stereo light loss in addition to any other grain or restoration aspects. James Cameron closely supervised the entire process. The project to convert Titanic to 3D took about 60 weeks of work, including the restoration of each frame at 4K resolution and conversion to 3D, and a titanic budget of $18 million.

Yep confirmed by Stereo D, sorted.

All I asked is if they reeded to degrain, and look they do and did. Easy
post #103 of 244 Old 09-10-2012, 01:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Anyone know why the 3D version on Amazon.ca only has three disc's..........it looks like a different version ........the new documentaries look like they are missing.........
post #104 of 244 Old 09-10-2012, 04:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
"melodramatic rubbish with one dimensional cookie cutter characters that go nowhere and have nothing interesting"

For a second there i forgot what thread this was and what movie the guy was talking about. You can pretty much say the same for all mainstream blockbusters no? Art house films don't make millions of dollars. Some of us realize this but we still have a thing for turn of the century ocean liners and want to see it in HD!rolleyes.gif

post #105 of 244 Old 09-10-2012, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter

But then you don't call all Summer blockbusters masterpieces as many have done here.
post #106 of 244 Old 09-10-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingcarcas View Post

"melodramatic rubbish with one dimensional cookie cutter characters that go nowhere and have nothing interesting"
:

Enough about Aliens, this is the Titanic thread.

cool.gif
post #107 of 244 Old 09-10-2012, 11:07 AM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordAwesome View Post

Enough about Aliens, this is the Titanic thread.
cool.gif

ancient-aliens-guy-1.png

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #108 of 244 Old 09-10-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR1963 View Post

Anyone know why the 3D version on Amazon.ca only has three disc's..........it looks like a different version ........the new documentaries look like they are missing.........

Do you have the set? If you're going by what amz.ca says, I wouldn't trust them. I won't have my copy from Amz till Friday. But if you have the 3D set, and you're telling me the new docs are missing...
post #109 of 244 Old 09-10-2012, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspectorToschi View Post

Do you have the set? If you're going by what amz.ca says, I wouldn't trust them. I won't have my copy from Amz till Friday. But if you have the 3D set, and you're telling me the new docs are missing...

UK set is four discs 1 2D 2 are 3D and 1 for extras
post #110 of 244 Old 09-10-2012, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 33
The Amazon.com site shows this:

Disc 1 - Blu-ray 3D Movie- Part One

Disc 2 – Blu-ray 3D Movie- Part Two

Disc 3 – Blu-ray Movie + 3 Filmmaker Commentaries

Disc 4 - Special Features with Never Before Seen Footage

So if the Canadian version has 3 disc's I would say there is an issue..........I ordered the 3D version from Amazon.ca last night and quickly cancelled it as I noticed the cover was different from the US version...and the features on Amazon.ca did not seem to list 2 All-new Documentaries: Reflections on Titanic & Titanic: The Final Word with James Cameron.. Disc 4 seems to have most of the features including the 2 new doc's.
post #111 of 244 Old 09-10-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR1963 View Post

The Amazon.com site shows this:
Disc 1 - Blu-ray 3D Movie- Part One
Disc 2 – Blu-ray 3D Movie- Part Two
Disc 3 – Blu-ray Movie + 3 Filmmaker Commentaries
Disc 4 - Special Features with Never Before Seen Footage
So if the Canadian version has 3 disc's I would say there is an issue..........I ordered the 3D version from Amazon.ca last night and quickly cancelled it as I noticed the cover was different from the US version...and the features on Amazon.ca did not seem to list 2 All-new Documentaries: Reflections on Titanic & Titanic: The Final Word with James Cameron.. Disc 4 seems to have most of the features including the 2 new doc's.

I'm pretty sure the amz.ca specs are wrong. It certainly wouldn't be the first time. Even the 2D disc has incorrect specs listed. I have little doubt that when I get my 3D set on Friday, it will be like all the others. Also, one look over at the Canadian forums on BD.com, and there's nothing about this from anyone (And people would be complaining about it) Nor do I think Paramount has ever done anything like this in the past. So I doubt they'd start now. I could be wrong, though. But until someone has the Canadian version to prove this, I wouldn't be trusting the Amz.ca specs.
post #112 of 244 Old 09-10-2012, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
From my very brief sampling, there's a definitely a bit more than zero sharpening, some of it looks rather edgy which is probably my main complaint, but it's a minor one. Maybe it's just the downsampling algorithm they used. The DNR work seems to have been handled carefully, except perhaps the deep ocean photography but I'll give them a pass there (as always, I have no idea what the point of degrain/regrain processing is, but it is what it is I guess). Seems to look quite superb.
post #113 of 244 Old 09-10-2012, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Not enough teal.

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
post #114 of 244 Old 09-10-2012, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post

From my very brief sampling, there's a definitely a bit more than zero sharpening, some of it looks rather edgy which is probably my main complaint, but it's a minor one. Maybe it's just the downsampling algorithm they used. The DNR work seems to have been handled carefully, except perhaps the deep ocean photography but I'll give them a pass there (as always, I have no idea what the point of degrain/regrain processing is, but it is what it is I guess). Seems to look quite superb.

You have to degrain for 3 D see my posts above as to why
post #115 of 244 Old 09-10-2012, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I have the U.S. 3D set and it's also 4 discs, just as listed above.
My short take: This is a PHENOMENAL Blu-ray! The detail is extraordinary, the colors vibrant, the blacks deep. Not one speck, scratch, or imperfection on the print. Zero EE, zero sharpening, extremely film like presentation. The ever so slight DNR has been implemented with even better results than in Aliens. The sound mix is spectacular. I have seen this movie 11 times in 1997/98 and once in 3D recently. I can say with 100% certainty, that the Blu-ray looks better than the original theatrical release in just about every way. I even love the new color grading with an ever so slight teal push.
Here are some quick fixes that Cameron has made digitally to make this a flawless movie:
- The string that pulls the glass off of the mantle has been removed.
- Night sky has been altered and stars added throughout the movie. Too many instances to list.
- Rose looks up at a brand new night time sky with the proper star alignments for 1912.
- The capstans no longer crinkle as passengers fall/crash onto them.
- The flying scene has an altered sunset in one shot at the beginning as Rose approaches jack.
- The first funnel that collapses and plunges into the Ocean now has the proper black top ring.
- Baja has been erased in various scenes. Mountains during the day and city lights during the night time shots were erased.
- A visible set light has been erased as Cal chases Rose and jack with a pistol.
This will be a reference disc for DECADES! A pure 10/10 release. Cameron is the very best filmmaker in Hollywood today and ever. He has a perfect track record and I cannot wait to see the restored (Lowry/Lightstorm) The Terminator Blu-ray next month.

so you go literally crazy at me even mentioning grain, and not D N R and yet after I prove my point you say yourself there is d n r!
Do I get an apology at any time? Or do they not make them in your world?
post #116 of 244 Old 09-10-2012, 03:18 PM

The 3D version of the film is already a bastardisation. Does it really matter if it has some DNR?

As long as the true version of the film looks great I'm happy.
post #117 of 244 Old 09-10-2012, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordAwesome View Post

The 3D version of the film is already a bastardisation. Does it really matter if it has some DNR?
As long as the true version of the film looks great I'm happy.

Not to me, did you read the thread?
post #118 of 244 Old 09-10-2012, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Who are you kidding Mike? Of course it has DNR, no one ever disputed that fact. You posted a screencap which was completely DNRed and was in no way, shape, or form even remotely representative of the Titanic Blu-ray, 2D, or 3D. And you did it because you wanted to take a jab at this release. Don't think that we are all stupid here. You've been around here long enough and should have known better. You could have posted any of the Capsaholics screen captures, or from bluray.com. Instead, you chose to purposely post to misrepresent. If you continue to use tactics like that, I will continue to call you out on them. Fair enough?

Fair lol not even did you get around to reporting me? Did you see where the shot came from? and I think you need to re read what you said...
post #119 of 244 Old 09-10-2012, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Get some fresh air buddy, you are delirious. Let's leave our previous posts alone and let the other members decide which one of us has lost his marbles.

For one, not your "buddy" for two seriously re-read what I asked and what I backed it up with and see where the image came from, not my link not my image.
Not once did I say it was what the image looks like, nor did I mention DNR, yet strangely you did.....
post #120 of 244 Old 09-10-2012, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

That's right Mike, you didn't say it verbally. Your jab was subtle. Again, we are not stupid here. I'm moving on from this. Others can read the thread and make of it what they want.

Did not say it in anyway, lots of things including this are in your head.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page