AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmcfluffin View Post

Your first time seeing it?
I've seen it like twenty times (always watch it when it shows up on TNT), and still loved it. Yeah, I feel it drags a lot... more so in the last half than the first half, actually... but it's still an epic in so many ways.
4th.
Theatrical movie release, VHS, DVD & blu-ray.
Story is still not bad but the ship disaster, CGI & action isn't holding up with the test of time IMO.
My wife even fell a sleep and I had to nudge her periodically to watch the whole movie.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 244 Old 09-18-2012, 02:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

CGI & action isn't holding up with the test of time IMO.

A lot of the CGI didn't look good even in 1997. Uncharacteristically sloppy VFX work for a James Cameron film. The same year, Starship Troopers had far better VFX which have aged very nicely.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #183 of 244 Old 09-18-2012, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

A lot of the CGI didn't look good even in 1997. Uncharacteristically sloppy VFX work for a James Cameron film. The same year, Starship Troopers had far better VFX which have aged very nicely.

Digital Domain (which just filed for bankruptcy BTW) to be fair was under the gun with this one. They ended up farming out some shots to other houses because of the workload.

In the end, both Cameron and Stan Winston divested themselves of what ownership they had with DD not soon after.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #184 of 244 Old 09-19-2012, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
LOL SFX in Starship Troopers was aweful. Didn't age well at all. Even CG dinos in Jurassic Park now look very CG-ish. T2 is the only one in that era that still looks great.
post #185 of 244 Old 09-19-2012, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by vc2002 View Post

LOL SFX in Starship Troopers was aweful. Didn't age well at all. Even CG dinos in Jurassic Park now look very CG-ish. T2 is the only one in that era that still looks great.

Well, I guess it's a matter of opinion. Troopers still looks pretty good in my book. So does JP...if anything the full size dinos look stiff with limited movement compared to the CG ones.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #186 of 244 Old 09-19-2012, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Oh yeah, the CG in Starship Troopers is still stunning. And the model work for the ships shows how stunningly good miniatures can look when composited digitally.
post #187 of 244 Old 09-20-2012, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by vc2002 View Post

LOL SFX in Starship Troopers was aweful.
Is 'aweful' French for awesome?
Kram Sacul likes this.
post #188 of 244 Old 09-20-2012, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 50
T2 still looks better than anything in this thread
post #189 of 244 Old 09-20-2012, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

T2 still looks better than anything in this thread

I've been avoiding buying T2 because I keep forgetting which edition is the "good looking" one, and which one looks like crap. Can you point me to the right direction, please? Are any of the versions that Best Buy sells the best one?
post #190 of 244 Old 09-20-2012, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 50
Wait for a remaster
post #191 of 244 Old 09-24-2012, 06:04 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Will finally get a chance to sit back and watch this tonight smile.gif

Frank
post #192 of 244 Old 09-25-2012, 06:16 AM
CIH USER

This film was great, loved every minute of it. smile.gif

Frank
post #193 of 244 Old 09-25-2012, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Was I the only one who was hoping that THIS TIME they'd miss the iceberg?

No?

Carry on...
post #194 of 244 Old 09-25-2012, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
So in the new release, the DVD and the standard Blu-ray and the 2D Blu-ray is 2.35, and the 3D Blu-ray is in 17:8 or 16:9, which means that it'll fill the HD monitor. And that's not cropped, that's actually added material. And in the process of remastering the film, we had to go back and do a lot of paint work to remove dollies and microphones and things like that, that were in view just outside of the scope area.

Wonder why the packaging says 1.78 for the 2d BR version?

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #195 of 244 Old 09-26-2012, 07:58 AM
CIH USER

I thought at the end of the movie Rose was sleeping and she dreamt of Jack Dawson I was told today that she actually died and she was reunited with Jack. Im curious to hear what other thought if she was sleeping or she died?

Frank
post #196 of 244 Old 09-26-2012, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmcfluffin View Post

I've been avoiding buying T2 because I keep forgetting which edition is the "good looking" one, and which one looks like crap. Can you point me to the right direction, please? Are any of the versions that Best Buy sells the best one?
Actually broke down and bought the Skynet edition at BB since it was only 8 bucks and it looked just fine in my HT on my ISF calibrated 65 Panny plasma. AQ was amazing. Checked a few reviews before buying that we're all positive for this edition. Here is the link to the review that convinced me to spend the 9 bucks:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Terminator-2-Judgment-Day-Blu-ray/4024/

post #197 of 244 Old 09-26-2012, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I thought at the end of the movie Rose was sleeping and she dreamt of Jack Dawson I was told today that she actually died and she was reunited with Jack. Im curious to hear what other thought if she was sleeping or she died?

The end definitely leaves it open to either choice. I always thought she died and was reunited with Jack and the rest of the passengers/crew that died on the Titanic.

October HorrorFest Participant
post #198 of 244 Old 09-26-2012, 08:51 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

The end definitely leaves it open to either choice. I always thought she died and was reunited with Jack and the rest of the passengers/crew that died on the Titanic.

Exactly what I was told also, certainly makes sense. All these years and I thought she was sleeping.

Frank
post #199 of 244 Old 09-26-2012, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Exactly what I was told also, certainly makes sense. All these years and I thought she was sleeping.

To be fair, I believe Cameron left that up to the audience to decide.

October HorrorFest Participant
post #200 of 244 Old 09-26-2012, 04:01 PM

A few of the deleted scenes plus the alternate ending with the commentary made it clear that she died. The theatrical cut makes it more ambiguous but it's clear that originally Cameron wanted her to have died.
post #201 of 244 Old 09-26-2012, 04:05 PM

I never saw it as ambiguous at all.
post #202 of 244 Old 09-26-2012, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Interesting. At the very end when the camera looks to the sky and the light envelops the frame, I always took that as clear-cut proof that she died, but I can see that people might see it differently.
post #203 of 244 Old 09-26-2012, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Well, if Rose gets reunited with Jack after death (along with all the other passengers, apparently), that takes some of the dramatic tension out of the entire movie, wouldn't you say?

I mean, why feel suspense or empathy for anyone's tragic impending "death" at the sinking if it's really just an unexpected momentary midnight dip into the Atlantic followed immediately by a dreamy warm, loving eternity in Titanic's rotunda?

Talk about having your cake and eating it, too...

(And, yes, I do think Cameron intended that interpretation. No one ever accused him of not pandering to an audience's contradictory impulses.)
post #204 of 244 Old 09-26-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penman View Post

Well, if Rose gets reunited with Jack after death (along with all the other passengers, apparently), that takes some of the dramatic tension out of the entire movie, wouldn't you say?
I mean, why feel suspense or empathy for anyone's tragic impending "death" at the sinking if it's really just an unexpected momentary midnight dip into the Atlantic followed immediately by a dreamy warm, loving eternity in Titanic's rotunda?
Talk about having your cake and eating it, too...
(And, yes, I do think Cameron intended that interpretation. No one ever accused him of not pandering to an audience's contradictory impulses.)

The reunion scene is merely a grace note that gives ends the movie on an emotional high after putting the audience through the emotional wringer. It's a pretty common dramatic device akin to "This is the beginning of a beautiful friendship." or a beloved character being killed off and then magically reappearing alive just before the credits roll. Most viewers do not leave Titanic feeling cheated by their reunion in the afterlife.
post #205 of 244 Old 09-27-2012, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZebraMajor View Post

The reunion scene is merely a grace note that gives ends the movie on an emotional high after putting the audience through the emotional wringer.
Well put. For all the naysayers that dismiss Cameron's Titanic for this-reason-or-that, for me it did an incredible job of re-creating the sheer horror and tragedy of the event, and the nightmare situation under which so many died under terrible circumstances.

There have been numerous catastrophes in the last 100+ years resulting in loss of life under difficult circumstances, but IMO the story of the Titanic may never be equalled in the human experience for the irony, the scope, and the terror, and the sadness of it. Cameron has done the participants a great service by dramatizing the event for future generations to wonder at.
post #206 of 244 Old 09-27-2012, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZebraMajor View Post

The reunion scene is merely a grace note that gives ends the movie on an emotional high after putting the audience through the emotional wringer. It's a pretty common dramatic device akin to "This is the beginning of a beautiful friendship." or a beloved character being killed off and then magically reappearing alive just before the credits roll. Most viewers do not leave Titanic feeling cheated by their reunion in the afterlife.

kinda reminds me of this recent film with Mel Gibson, Edge of Darkness, where he's reunited with his daughter at the end...

Titanic's and most importantly Cameron's genius move was to have Jack and Rose's doomed love story aboard the ship. We'll never know if they were to be together for the rest of their lives yet they managed to experience their love for each other for a short time. It's the classic Romeo and Juliet romantic story (romantic as in "doesn't end well") but this time it was very well done. Rose's life was defined by these few days with him, Jack died when his love for her was at its fullest (since he gave his life for her). I'm not sure about the "reunited in the afterlife" bit (I don't believe in this even in a symbolic sense) but at least she thought at the end that her life had come full circle, she was at peace. Given how old she was, it was a natural ending for her to die, that's why we can't feel cheated as well. I agree with you about the grace note and the reunion scene, which was the best way to end the movie, after all they've been through their love was always, and will remain intact. This love story was the key to the film's success, otherwise we would have ended up with a 3 hour long lifeless documentary about the Titanic tragedy.
post #207 of 244 Old 09-27-2012, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

The right contains only difference info (frame packed) and the left contains the complete image. There could be color timing and/or brightness and/or floating windows that is differant than the 2D version (plus the aspect ratio:D).

I kind of liked the "open matte" 2D version. It was easy to take the eye with audio (the other is just video) from the 2 discs and join them together.
Problem was that it wouldn't fit on a BD50 so I had to rencode it to fit (bitrate was only slightly lower, however, higher than the 2D, "hard matte" version).
Obviously , movie only, no menu, Eng audio only.

From the several points in the movie that I checked, colors, contrast, etc, seemed identical. When I look at the 2D version now it looks "cropped".
Which, of course, it is. This all on a Pio 50" plasma Elite.

See below comparisons:

16:9 (1.78:1)

http://www.imagebam.com/image/95f7d7208723332

2.35:1

http://www.imagebam.com/image/d15ac4208723183

"Talk to me Goose"
post #208 of 244 Old 09-27-2012, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowcaster View Post

See below comparisons:
16:9 (1.78:1)
http://www.imagebam.com/image/95f7d7208723332
2.35:1
http://www.imagebam.com/image/d15ac4208723183

How come some of her hair is missing on the 3D 16x9 frame??? is that part of the 3D process? redface.gif I guess so.
The top of her head looks like some crappy cutting...

You said the 2.35 was cropped, well in a way yes but it was shot with 2.35 in mind in the first place as we all know.
post #209 of 244 Old 09-27-2012, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

How come some of her hair is missing on the 3D 16x9 frame??? is that part of the 3D process? redface.gif I guess so.
The top of her head looks like some crappy cutting...
You said the 2.35 was cropped, well in a way yes but it was shot with 2.35 in mind in the first place as we all know.
No, you've got it reversed. The top of her hair is cropped in the 2.35:1 frame and completely visible in the 1.78:1 frame.
Unless you're talking about the "flatness" at the top of her head, which is just barely visible in the 2.35:1 shot.

Yes it was released in 2.35:1 for theatrical release for the widescreen (cinemascope) theater screens. And if you have a "scope" projector in your home theater it looks terrific. However, on a 16X9 display, IMO the black bars detract . Because the width isn't affected, in the 16X9 version , I find it more enjoyable. The great thing is that you can have it either way.

"Talk to me Goose"
post #210 of 244 Old 09-27-2012, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowcaster View Post

No, you've got it reversed. The top of her hair is cropped in the 2.35:1 frame and completely visible in the 1.78:1 frame.

No no no... I'm not talking about the frame, of course some of it is missing on the 2.35 image, but I'm talking about this:

3D:

2D:
Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page