2012 Blu-ray Weekly Sales Reports & Discussion of Results by Title - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-18-2012, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
tnbd070812.jpg
Quote:
Narrative not available yet.

tndvd070812-1.jpg
Quote:

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

follow me on Twitter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2012, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Merchandising Week Ending 07/15/12
Quote:
Batman Promotions Rise

10 Jul, 2012
By: John Latchem

BatmanRises.jpg

In the lead-up to the theatrical debut of Christopher Nolan’s third and final Batman film, The Dark Knight Rises, in theaters July 20, Batman merchandise has been dominating retailers.

Best Buy, which had been offering steelbook Blu-rays of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, each with an UltraViolet copy and a $5 coupon to see the new film, has elaborate displays of Batman DVDs and Blu-rays, from the Tim Burton movies to recent animated efforts such as “The Brave and the Bold.”

Target has been offering exclusive Blu-ray/DVD combos of Begins and Dark Knight, also with UltraViolet copies.

Walmart offered Begins and Knight with UV for $5 on DVD and $9.96 on Blu-ray, as well as compilations of Batman animated TV shows and movies.

Otherwise, retailers devoted the week after July 4 to clearing out more inventory. Best Buy offered a “Summer Steals” sale of CDs and DVDs at $4.99 each. Target offered a buy-two-get-one-free promotion on select DVDs and Blu-rays for $9.99 each.

Merch0710.jpg
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/agent-dvd-insider/batman-promotions-rise

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

follow me on Twitter
Old 07-18-2012, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Projections: A 'Reunion' on The Sales Charts

16 Jul, 2012
By: John Latchem

AmericanReunion.jpg

Coming off a July 4 holiday week with no major new releases, July 10 offers a title movie fans shouldn’t have a problem recognizing: American Reunion. The Universal Studios film scored only a modest $56.8 million at the domestic box office, but the lack of any major new competition should help Reunion top the sales charts.

Due to embargoes, the rental chart will continue to be dominated by older titles, most likely holdovers such as Sony’s 21 Jump Street and Universal’s Safe House and Big Miracle.

Rank Title Studio Weeks on Chart

Projected Top 3 Sellers for Week Ending 7/15/2012

1 American Reunion Universal New
2 21 Jump Street Sony Pictures 3
3 Wrath of the Titans Warner 3

Projected Top 3 Rentals for Week Ending 7/15/2012
1 21 Jump Street Sony Pictures 3
2 Safe House Universal 6
3 Big Miracle Universal 4
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/research/projections-reunion-sales-charts-27784

follow me on Twitter
Old 07-18-2012, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

reserved

follow me on Twitter
Old 07-18-2012, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

HMM Nielsen Videoscan First Alert Sales Report Week Ending 07/15/12
Quote:
Buyers Eat Up More 'Pie'

18 Jul, 2012
By: Thomas K. Arnold

americanreunion.jpg
'American Reunion'

Universal Studios Home Entertainment’s American Reunion topped the national home video sales charts the week ended July 15 as the industry continued to suffer through a dearth of high-profile new theatrical product.

The latest installment in the “American Pie” franchise grossed $56.7 million in theaters and follows a string of direct-to-video sequels to 1999’s original American Pie.

On the Nielsen VideoScan First Alert chart, which tracks overall disc sales, the raunchy comedy knocked Sony Pictures’ 21 Jump Street out of the No. 1 spot it had held for the last two weeks. According to Nielsen data, consumers bought nearly three times as many copies of American Reunion its first week in stores as they did of 21 Jump Street during the same time frame.

Similarly, American Reunion bumped Warner’s Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows to No. 2 on Nielsen’s dedicated Blu-ray Disc sales chart. Blu-ray consumers only bought 30% as many copies of Sherlock Holmes during the week as they did of American Reunion.

American Reunion is the only new movie release to make the First Alert top 20. Only two other new releases made the chart, both of them TV DVD sets. Season one of “Adventure Time,” from Warner, debuted at No. 11, while Universal Studios’ third-season set of “Warehouse 13” bowed at No. 16.

Meanwhile, anticipation for the theatrical debut of the third and final installment in the “Batman” reboot prompted the two earlier releases to shoot up the sales charts. Batman Begins was the week’s No. 6 seller, while The Dark Knight was close behind at No. 7.

In rental stores, 21 Jump Street remained at No. 1 for the third consecutive week, with Universal Studios’ Safe House repeating at No. 2. Warner’s Wrath of the Titans, now off its rental holdback, jumped from No. 15 the previous week to No. 4, behind 20th Century Fox’s Act of Valor.

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/industry-news/buyers-eat-more-pie-27838

follow me on Twitter
Old 08-17-2012, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 165
What happened to this dude posting ?

Old 08-25-2012, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post

I don't know. I haven't seen Kosty's postings anywhere lately. It is vacation time for a lot of people.

Meanwhile, the news hasn't been very positive for Blu-ray numbers. Here is a recent take on what is going on right now and the future-

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/story/2012-08-23/blu-ray-films-coming/57256000/1?AID=4992781&PID=4175897&SID=ny38fix34u7z
Old 08-28-2012, 04:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod M View Post

I don't know. I haven't seen Kosty's postings anywhere lately. It is vacation time for a lot of people.
Meanwhile, the news hasn't been very positive for Blu-ray numbers. Here is a recent take on what is going on right now and the future-
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/story/2012-08-23/blu-ray-films-coming/57256000/1?AID=4992781&PID=4175897&SID=ny38fix34u7z

Well I just found this thread, Jarod, and I was looking at some of the postings Kosty made just a month or two back, and it looked to me like Blu-Ray has been making pretty decent market growth over the previous year AND over DVD.
As for streaming, I have a 30 megabit connection, which is fast enough for most streaming, and a Netflix membership, yet on the very few occasions I've chosen to stream my Netflix I've been quite disappointed with the quality. Rather, I almost exclusively rent nothing but Blu-Rays via Netflix (the rare exceptions being movies I've never seen, that look really good in their descriptions, and are only on DVD). And although I only ever bought ONE DVD player, and bought very few DVDs during the long period that format reigned supreme, I now have THREE Blu-Rays (since the prices broke $200, then $100 -- had to wait A LONG TIME for that). Similarly, I've had to wait for the disc prices to break, and I still never buy anything NEW ("Avatar was my ONLY execption). I wait until I see them for $10, or less, now, which doesn't take long -- "Inception" is now $7.98 at Sam's Club, for instance. Better yet, older movies I already had on DVD (some mostly for my aged mother who loves comedies, like "Grumpy Old Men" and "Grumpier Old Men,"). Well, BOTH of those in the same Blu-Ray package at Sam's Club yesterday for $798!

While I know there are LOTS of folks paying full price for the NEW releases, there are even more folks like me who are waiting for the "below-$10 and 2-or-3-movie deals... I've gotten a few great flicks on $9.98 disc packages. As a result, I now already have a bigger pre-recorded package of Blu-Rays than I think I ever even bought on VHS during its LONG life.

The folks who said Blu-Ray would be "just a flash in the pan..." I don't think so. The players will still play DVDs AND CDs... and even OLD classic movies are being released on Blu-Ray -- and I mean OLD. I saw an old B&W John Wayne movie that wasn't even one of his biggest hits, I don't think, at Sam's Club, as well.

With the way broadband providers keep raising rates and imposing caps, even while adding speed, I don't care WHAT USA Today says, I don't see physical media going away any more than I see everyone saving all their photos "in the cloud" (and I'll be doing that when I'm VERY cold and VERY dead).
Jeff Hayes

Life is the only constant...

Old 08-28-2012, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

Hit and Run Sales Chart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAHayes View Post

there are even more folks like me who are waiting for the "below-$10 and 2-or-3-movie deals... I've gotten a few great flicks on $9.98 disc packages.

You cheap....
Quote:
Studios have many reasons for filling the Blu-ray pipeline. Sales of older, so-called catalog films on Blu-ray rose 26% in the first half of 2012

Whaaaa??? I have read so many times about catalog titles not selling. Hope this is true, percentages are meaningless though.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAHayes View Post

Well I just found this thread, Jarod, and I was looking at some of the postings Kosty made just a month or two back, and it looked to me like Blu-Ray has been making pretty decent market growth over the previous year AND over DVD.
As for streaming, I have a 30 megabit connection, which is fast enough for most streaming, and a Netflix membership, yet on the very few occasions I've chosen to stream my Netflix I've been quite disappointed with the quality. Rather, I almost exclusively rent nothing but Blu-Rays via Netflix (the rare exceptions being movies I've never seen, that look really good in their descriptions, and are only on DVD). And although I only ever bought ONE DVD player, and bought very few DVDs during the long period that format reigned supreme, I now have THREE Blu-Rays (since the prices broke $200, then $100 -- had to wait A LONG TIME for that). Similarly, I've had to wait for the disc prices to break, and I still never buy anything NEW ("Avatar was my ONLY execption). I wait until I see them for $10, or less, now, which doesn't take long -- "Inception" is now $7.98 at Sam's Club, for instance. Better yet, older movies I already had on DVD (some mostly for my aged mother who loves comedies, like "Grumpy Old Men" and "Grumpier Old Men,"). Well, BOTH of those in the same Blu-Ray package at Sam's Club yesterday for $798!
While I know there are LOTS of folks paying full price for the NEW releases, there are even more folks like me who are waiting for the "below-$10 and 2-or-3-movie deals... I've gotten a few great flicks on $9.98 disc packages. As a result, I now already have a bigger pre-recorded package of Blu-Rays than I think I ever even bought on VHS during its LONG life.
The folks who said Blu-Ray would be "just a flash in the pan..." I don't think so. The players will still play DVDs AND CDs... and even OLD classic movies are being released on Blu-Ray -- and I mean OLD. I saw an old B&W John Wayne movie that wasn't even one of his biggest hits, I don't think, at Sam's Club, as well.
With the way broadband providers keep raising rates and imposing caps, even while adding speed, I don't care WHAT USA Today says, I don't see physical media going away any more than I see everyone saving all their photos "in the cloud" (and I'll be doing that when I'm VERY cold and VERY dead).
Jeff Hayes
The sales numbers for Blu-ray are disappointing. I don't know of any other reasonable way to interpret the numbers. Blu-ray will be peaking at between 2 to 3 billion dollars this year. Sounds like a lot of money, right? But DVD peaked at 16 billion dollars. The studios even tried packing DVDs with many of the Blu-rays. The low % of Blu-ray sales for the recent Hunger Games shows what happens when don't include a DVD in the Blu-ray package.

I'm not trying to argue anything about streaming-that article was useful for the statements about the present and the future for Blu-ray. Waiting until the Blu-rays go down in price at your local Wal-Mart, etc., is why many of the studios are now resorting to farming out their product to companies like Criterion, Twilight Time, Olive, etc. The way business was done during the height of the DVD years is no longer seen as viable for many of the catalog titles.

At least many titles are being released on Blu-ray, somewhat to my surprise, including many obscure titles.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I'd post a reason; butt I'd get thrown off the forum!
It took like five yrs for DVD too overtake VHS.
Heck, BD still isn't a quarter of last century's SD DVD (but some est.) current sales.

"I wonder if any of the releases had slipcovers though."
"Are these comfirmed to have slipcovers?"
"They look nice in those slips."
"This slipcover looks too good to pass up."
Old 08-29-2012, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Yep, the sky is falling again. HDTV is certainly a failure. After 14 years only about 70% of the TV households have one.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

Yep, the sky is falling again. HDTV is certainly a failure. After 14 years only about 70% of the TV households have one.
What does that have to do with Blu-ray sales?
Old 08-29-2012, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

Nah, HD TVs are endangered due to constant heatwaves and rising sea levels. After that of course comes the next full blown ice age, enjoy while it lasts.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Nothing at all....

BR's market share is quite low after all these years

This is taking into count the shrinking DVD market

BR is having to do aggressive sales and heavily bundle (inc DVD and digital copies) to entice buyers

I enjoy BR greatly and continue to buy but at no point would I consider it a highly successful product.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you have to ask........
Old 08-30-2012, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you have to ask........
I see....nothing. Thanks for contributing.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR1 View Post

Nothing at all....
BR's market share is quite low after all these years
This is taking into count the shrinking DVD market
BR is having to do aggressive sales and heavily bundle (inc DVD and digital copies) to entice buyers
I enjoy BR greatly and continue to buy but at no point would I consider it a highly successful product.
Those aggressive sales and heavy bundling might be coming to an end. Those coupons for the Disney releases have stopped. And, as I already mentioned, the Hunger Games BR was not bundled with a DVD.

Meanwhile, people are complaining about having to pay premium prices for the product that is being put out by companies like Twilight Time. Really, it's starting to look more and more like the laserdisc days, though the pricing is still much better on Blu-ray. But we are seeing a lot of box sets approaching $100, often of movies that were already released.

In the past I was skeptical that the number of releases would keep up, and Blu-ray would be dominated by new theaterical releases. Well, dollar-wise it is dominated by the new-theatrical stuff, but plenty of catalog titles are being released. Again, even the laserdisc format was able to amass quite a large number of titles without ever gaining mainstream acceptance. Hopefully sales are just good enough to keep up the flow of catalog titles. I suspect we'll start to see BR MOD soon-which won't make the price complainers happy, but at least it'll make a lot more titles available than would otherwise be the case.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:

The low % of Blu-ray sales for the recent Hunger Games shows what happens when don't include a DVD in the Blu-ray package.

1.6 million discs sold in its first week is low?

Old 08-30-2012, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I see....nothing. Thanks for contributing.

It all has been explained to you before and it does not sink in. Most likely NOTHING will ever equal DVD in terms of revenue and there are many reasons: there were no kiosk, subscription rental base was small, there was no major recession, people did not already have a large library movies, the market for ownership was not saturated, etc., etc., etc.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

1.6 million discs sold in its first week is low?
I said percentage. Look at the percentage compared to DVD. 34%. Almost all of the biggest action genre releases on Blu-ray do well over 50%.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It all has been explained to you before and it does not sink in. Most likely NOTHING will ever equal DVD in terms of revenue and there are many reasons: there were no kiosk, subscription rental base was small, there was no major recession, people did not already have a large library movies, the market for ownership was not saturated, etc., etc., etc.
3 billion versus 16 billion. It's a huge difference. Whatever the reasons might be, Blu-ray has been a disappointment in terms of sales numbers. It had some obstacles to overcome, but it also had several "advantages"-the PS3, backwards compatibility, 6 times the resolution, and the combo packages which gave people the DVD along with the Blu-ray, with the sales dollars counting for Blu-ray.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:

Look at the percentage compared to DVD. 34%. Almost all of the biggest action genre releases on Blu-ray do well over 50%.
Its not 34....its 43 to 57.

blu 1,667,331 = 43%
dvd 2,176,055 = 57%
total 3,843,386

+ hunger games is different in that it has alot of girl appeal which always trends dvd.
Now if avengers & batman3 do 43% then i fold the tent.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Blu-ray has been a disappointment in terms of sales numbers.

May be for folks on another planet. Anyone with a pea brain on planet earth should know that JQP at large will not replace that DVD library just because BD offers a better picture and sound. Only A/V enthusiast does/will do that.

You know of anything that comes remotely close to the revenue of DVD + Blu-ray?

Are you bored and just stirring the pot. Seems to be the only reason you ever post in this thread.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

May be for folks on another planet. Anyone with a pea brain on planet earth should know that JQP at large will not replace that DVD library just because BD offers a better picture and sound. Only A/V enthusiast does/will do that.
You know of anything that comes remotely close to the revenue of DVD + Blu-ray?
Are you bored and just stirring the pot. Seems to be the only reason you ever post in this thread.
Some people like to talk about the facts/numbers/reality. Some people clearly don't.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Its not 34....its 43 to 57.
blu 1,667,331 = 43%
dvd 2,176,055 = 57%
total 3,843,386
+ hunger games is different in that it has alot of girl appeal which always trends dvd.
Now if avengers & batman3 do 43% then i fold the tent.
We'll see how titles do when they don't include the DVD. But a quick look on Amazon shows that that a Blu-ray/DVD combo package is being sold for Avengers, at $5 more than the DVD only. You even have the choice of either DVD or Blu-ray packaging!

As for the Hunger Games, you must be basing it on the Nielsen estimate, which still does not have access to Wal-Mart numbers. The Lionsgate press release, which presumably did take into account Wal-Mart numbers, had the Blu-ray percentage at 34% (1.3 million out of a total 3.8 million).

Here's the gender breakdown-
"According to Lionsgate, The Hunger Games attracted an audience that was 61 percent female. By comparison, The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn — Part 1 drew a crowd that was 80 percent female." The genre for The Hunger Games was also much more interesting to the Blu-ray demo than something like Twilight. I'll concede that The Hunger Games 61% female audience is going to lower the percentage somewhat, it still seemed that the Blu-ray percentage was a lot lower than it should have been.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Some people like to talk about the facts/numbers/reality.

That is correct and it is why we follow credible references like HMM. You are welcomed to your opinions (i.e., Blu-ray sales are a disappointment), but they are just that, your opinion.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:44 PM

Liked: 10
Can someone post the final Blu-ray percentage of all disc sales from 2011? I was hoping it would reach 25%, but it looks like Blu-ray came up a few points shy of that figure. Also, is there a running tally of that number for 2012?

It would also be nice to know figures for outside North America, and to have a concise list of the top selling Blu-rays of all time. It's sort of curious that the Blu-ray consortium (or the studios, which are all interested in promoting Blu-ray) doesn't maintain a public list of the best sellers.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Old 10-11-2012, 02:30 AM

Liked: 10