Spartacus Universal's 100th Anniversary Edition. Repack ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 06-14-2012, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have anyone bought the new Spartacus BD ? Is it the same as the crappy 50th Anniversary Edition (only with an added Digital Copy) ? Or is it a new encode ? (Hopefully with less DNR). I can't find any reviews on the new disc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-26-2012, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

A quick update, I bought the new BD to check for myself... But they sent me the 100th Anniversary DVD instead. The DVD is clearly a repack with a new 100th anniversary slipcover. The DVD inside is the ancient NON-anamorphic DVD from ages ago.... (!) I still don't know about the BD, but it's pretty safe to assume that it's also a repack.
post #3 of 16 Old 06-26-2012, 01:14 PM

Definitely not a remaster. Only hope out there is for the rumored Criterion release, but they'll probably have to work with whatever Universal gives them.
post #4 of 16 Old 06-28-2012, 04:16 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftyeyes View Post

Definitely not a remaster. Only hope out there is for the rumored Criterion release, but they'll probably have to work with whatever Universal gives them.

A Criterion blu-ray would be awesome. This must not be a very widely circulated rumor, this is the first I've heard of it. Great to hear though, and hopefully it's true. For Universal to put out a 50th Anniversary edition and not only not improve upon the hddvd but actually make it worse was just an insult. I'd actually given up hope of it being given a proper release since I just assumed Criterion no longer had the rights. I guess I was wrong.

If what happened with Dazed and Confused is any indication, there is at least some hope that Criterion would give us something better than Uni. Robert A. Harris mentioned that the HD transfer done way back circa 2000 had noise in it, noise which he said was indeed a problem. This was obviously scrubbed for the hd dvd and then scrubbed even further for the blu-ray. Even if we get "the least of three evils" and they simply give us the unscrubbed but noisy transfer, that would still be an improvement. Not ideal, but an improvement. Hopefully Criterion will front the cash for a high resolution scan of the 65mm interpositive. That would be ideal.

The AFI Silver is showing this next month. Presumably it's one of the 70mm prints from '91.
post #5 of 16 Old 06-28-2012, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fang Zei View Post

Hopefully Criterion will front the cash for a high resolution scan of the 65mm interpositive. That would be ideal.

As far as I can tell Criterion has only done it's own scans at 2K. Maybe someone can point me to a 4K scan Criterion has done.
post #6 of 16 Old 06-28-2012, 04:45 PM

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post

As far as I can tell Criterion has only done it's own scans at 2K. Maybe someone can point me to a 4K scan Criterion has done.

Thin Red Line
post #7 of 16 Old 06-28-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:

The Thin Red Line
Being John Malkovich
Kuroneko
The Music Room
etc.
post #8 of 16 Old 06-28-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftyeyes View Post

Criterion use what Universal give them
post #9 of 16 Old 06-28-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Criterion use what Universal give them
Not entirely true. They have done many new transfers themselves for titles licensed from Universal. The question is whether they think the existing master is good enough or not.
post #10 of 16 Old 06-28-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezpekt View Post

Not entirely true. They have done many new transfers themselves for titles licensed from Universal. The question is whether they think the existing master is good enough or not.

From Universal titles? list them
post #11 of 16 Old 06-28-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:

From Universal titles? list them
Being John Malkovich
Island of Lost Souls
Ride with the Devil

Upcoming The Game.
post #12 of 16 Old 06-28-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezpekt View Post

Being John Malkovich
Island of Lost Souls
Ride with the Devil
Upcoming The Game.

The first three, can you point me to the Universal Blu-ray version? oh no there is not one, so they neither prove nor disprove.
Also Being, is a USA release and not a direct Universal title, same as the Buena Vista releases and the Disney ones.
The Game is one right? can I borrow your time machine?
post #13 of 16 Old 06-28-2012, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Quote:

The first three, can you point me to the Universal Blu-ray version? oh no there is not one, so they neither prove nor disprove.
Also Being, is a USA release and not a direct Universal title, same as the Buena Vista releases and the Disney ones.
Well, it certainly seems to demonstrate that Universal has no problem allowing Criterion access to whatever materials they need to remaster the film, they just chose not to do so. Since NBC/Universal absorbed USA Films I would presume they have the physical assets. Perhaps they thought Fear and Loathing and Dazed and Confused already had sufficiently good HD masters to not dump money into new ones, and based on reviews they were probably right.
post #14 of 16 Old 06-28-2012, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So are you saying you are unsure Criterion actually did the scans? Criterion is rather vague about this sometimes.
post #15 of 16 Old 06-28-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:

So are you saying you are unsure Criterion actually did the scans? Criterion is rather vague about this sometimes.

Easiest way to tell is to look for the telecine supervisor credited in the booklet. If it says Maria Palazzola or Lee Kline, then Criterion were directly involved. The Malkovich telecine is credited to Kline, Spike Jonze and Lance Acord. Design for Living was handled by Palazzola. Kline and Palazzola are both credited for Island of Lost Souls. Ride With the Devil lists Kline, Palazzola, Ang Lee, and Frederick Elmes. For Videodrome they appear to have reused the same scan Palazzola supervised for the 2004 DVD release. Criterion also reused their DVD transfer for Dazed and Confused, though I can't find the credits for this one.
Quote:

Being John Malkovich was licensed directly from Universal, per the copyright info on the packaging. USA Films no longer exists, even as a brand. I'm also fairly certain that "Buena Vista" doesn't exist as a separate entity -- "Buena Vista Home Entertainment" is simply the label that Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment uses for some of their non-Disney-branded releases. (Criterion's relationship with BV/Disney is almost nonexistent anyway, since the only BDs they've licensed from them since Chungking Express are Wes Anderson titles.)
post #16 of 16 Old 06-29-2012, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Average View Post

Easiest way to tell is to look for the telecine supervisor credited in the booklet. If it says Maria Palazzola or Lee Kline, then Criterion were directly involved. The Malkovich telecine is credited to Kline, Spike Jonze and Lance Acord. Design for Living was handled by Palazzola. Kline and Palazzola are both credited for Island of Lost Souls. Ride With the Devil lists Kline, Palazzola, Ang Lee, and Frederick Elmes. For Videodrome they appear to have reused the same scan Palazzola supervised for the 2004 DVD release. Criterion also reused their DVD transfer for Dazed and Confused, though I can't find the credits for this one.

Will remember to look for those names then. I wish Criterion would be more upfront about it though.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page