The Terminator New Release - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #631 of 640 Old 08-06-2013, 10:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 19,874
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by jqmn View Post

In the newest mix the first pistol blast at the house with the mistaken SC has both sonic hit and punch which are lacking or severely depressed in the earlier BD. It sounds more natural. Does it sound like an actual gun or perhaps better than what was on the DVD (which I don't have anymore) perhaps not but this is the best the A/V has been (IMHO) so I accept it and enjoy it.

It's the same mix on both Blu-rays. It's encoded as PCM on the old Blu-ray and DTS-HD Master Audio on the new one. If you think the newer disc sounds better, that's 100% because DTS tracks are set 4 dB louder by default. There is no other difference. The new disc does not have more "sonic hit and punch." Raise your volume on the old Blu-ray 4 dB to level match and they will sound exactly the same. Because they are exactly the same.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Josh Z is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #632 of 640 Old 08-06-2013, 10:29 AM
Bass Enabler
 
Scott Simonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 13,144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 616

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

 

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Scott Simonian is offline  
post #633 of 640 Old 08-06-2013, 10:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 19,874
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

For the most part the Rydstrom mix is an improvement.

To each their own, but I just don't agree. This is a very sloppy 5.1 mix, for reasons I explained back in post 208. The mono has its own flaws, but I find it much more listenable than the gimmicky fake 5.1.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Josh Z is offline  
post #634 of 640 Old 08-06-2013, 11:56 AM
Senior Member
 
jqmn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

It's the same mix on both Blu-rays. It's encoded as PCM on the old Blu-ray and DTS-HD Master Audio on the new one. If you think the newer disc sounds better, that's 100% because DTS tracks are set 4 dB louder by default. There is no other difference. The new disc does not have more "sonic hit and punch." Raise your volume on the old Blu-ray 4 dB to level match and they will sound exactly the same. Because they are exactly the same.

Josh-- Thanx. I went back and did it again adjusting for the +4dB as you mentioned. I will chalk this up to the fallacy of very short term audio memory since in the four key initial scenes I tested the 2013 DTSMA still sounds "better" to me for whatever reason (clearer, better highs, still more "punch" (but not much)) against the 2006 LPCM. I know this shouldn't be given what you say and I accept that. Thanx again.
jqmn is offline  
post #635 of 640 Old 08-06-2013, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tenthplanet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Posts: 1,252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

Here we go again.
Indeed rolleyes.gif "Seal the gates and prepare for war" biggrin.gif

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
tenthplanet is offline  
post #636 of 640 Old 08-07-2013, 02:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
CAVX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 8,353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Schiller View Post

Funny,
I finally got around to watching Raiders of the Lost Ark on Blu-Ray last night.
In the bar fight scene, Indy fires a 1930s era handgun and it sounded like the Death Star zapping the planet.
It actually sounded like a cannon going off.
Wonder if that was in the original mix.

I don't have the BDs yet.
There are a few sound effects that are "off" in that film. The face punches are a good example so I am curious to see and hear this film on BD. .

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
CAVX is offline  
post #637 of 640 Old 08-07-2013, 04:02 AM
Senior Member
 
khronikos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I've never even heard or watched the other bluray for obvious reasons so this mix is way better than my old DVD!

And even the stereo downmix or track or whatever on this release isn't perfect. But it still rocks pretty well and lossless to me is always nice when you have had worse. They could definitely do better but for 7 dollars I am just happy with the high bitrate and clean master.

I mean you don't see people whining about hokey effects and what not and they are definitely there. All in all a great release in my eyes.
khronikos is offline  
post #638 of 640 Old 08-07-2013, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BIG ED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: California Wine Country
Posts: 3,290
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

I'm not knocking you guys for liking the old mix.
vvv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Lol! You guys crack me up.

Get over it and go watch your mono tracks.


But you know.... we don't have enough to complain about these days. Also, because this Blu-ray exists none of your older home versions exist anymore. Go check. They all vaporized while you weren't looking.


tongue.gif
"I'm not knocking you guys for liking the old mix."
i believe you...
do you believe i believe you?!?!

"I wonder if any of the releases had slipcovers though."
"Are these comfirmed to have slipcovers?"
"They look nice in those slips."
"This slipcover looks too good to pass up."
BIG ED is offline  
post #639 of 640 Old 08-07-2013, 12:25 PM
Bass Enabler
 
Scott Simonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 13,144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED View Post

vvv
"I'm not knocking you guys for liking the old mix."
i believe you...
do you believe i believe you?!?!

What I should have said was, "I respect your views and opinions regarding liking the old mix....however, I will tease and poke fun at such a ridiculous discussion."

tongue.gif
nathanddrews likes this.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

 

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Scott Simonian is offline  
post #640 of 640 Old 11-13-2013, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member
 
jdryyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 611
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What's this?

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00GG0NCNK?tag=8013084-20


Quote:
Originally Posted by jdryyz View Post

Terminator-- check

Total Recall-- check

Robocop-- any news on this? This is another from the same era that needs a remaster.
jdryyz is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
The Terminator Blu Ray , The Terminator Remastered Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off