"Phantoms" on Blu-Ray?! How did I miss this? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 06-22-2012, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, I was browsing around on Amazon today and I came across this:

Now, I'm not ashamed to admit that I rather like Phanoms. It's got a cool, Lovecraftian vibe to the monsters and the whole scenario of an entire town going missing is pretty sweet.

Has anyone actually seen this Blu-Ray? If so, how is the PQ/AQ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-22-2012, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 94
I think Phantoms has been released by Echo Bridge on a number of different multi-feature packs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(last update: July 30, 2014)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 Old 06-22-2012, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post

I think Phantoms has been released by Echo Bridge on a number of different multi-feature packs.

But is it any good? Inquiring minds want to know.
post #4 of 12 Old 06-24-2012, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Yep, I didn't know about this either. Guilty pleasure. I've got Phantoms on DVD and it definitely needed an upgrade to Blu-ray - but - 3 movies on one 50 GB disc? Gah!

That aside one reviewer says this:
Quote:
For the best transfer of Phantoms to date, I would say buy this blu ray. Darkness was blah, and Venom was meh. The price alone is a steal and you should own Phantoms.

http://wickedchannel.com/2012/04/movie-review-miramax-triple-feature-blu-ray/

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #5 of 12 Old 06-24-2012, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Affleck was the bomb in Phantoms!
post #6 of 12 Old 06-24-2012, 05:27 PM

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul_duke View Post

Affleck was the bomb in Phantoms!

Dude, Phantoms like a motherf***er
post #7 of 12 Old 06-26-2012, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post

Yep, you're right. I ran across another release while searching for this 3 pack. It was a two-disc Echo Bridge Blu-ray release titled 6 Masters Terror Pack released in April 2012. It was priced at $15. It included Hellraiser: Hellseeker (1:85), Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers (1:78), Venom (1:78), Cursed (1:78), Darkness (1:78) and Phantoms (1:78). All were Dolby Digital 2.0. Only Hellraiser was the correct aspect ratio. Echo Bridge is definitely cornering the bargain bin market.

EDIT: Correction. In spite of what the back cover says all of these films have 5.1 DTS-MA - except for Hellraiser: Hellseeker which is DD+ 2.0. I have played the first few minutes of each title and while the 1080p HD video may not be reference grade it looks serviceable.

Amazon link.

post #8 of 12 Old 06-28-2012, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, so I picked this up this week.

And, it's pretty much what I expected, sadly.

I don't have my DVD on hand to compare it to, so I'm not sure how much of an upgrade it is compared to that (I kind of remember the DVD not being particularly stellar, though). However, it's definitely far from demo material.

Still, if you like the movie (as I do) it's probably worth it, since it's so cheap (and you get two other movies to boot).
post #9 of 12 Old 10-28-2012, 12:19 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Finally picked this up.

Of these three titles, DARKNESS has the best image. Color and detail are quite decent.

I haven't watched VENOM yet; it looks not quite as good. Much of it is at night anyway.

Unlike the others, PHANTOMS is 1080i60, a hint that the master was originally intended for TV broadcast. It's 18GB on the disc. I recall the DVD being poor (4:3 letterboxed, wasn't it?), and this is probably a modest to good upgrade.

I saw the DVD a few months ago and so did not watch it again yet, but I note that the running time is 1h42m. The cover and IMDB says 96m. Is this an extended cut?

None of the three have subtitles.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #10 of 12 Old 10-28-2012, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I caught Phantoms on HDNET a while back, it wasn't too bad, but far from great. No doubt this is the same master.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Snake Plissken

post #11 of 12 Old 10-29-2012, 03:25 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

I note that the running time is 1h42m. The cover and IMDB says 96m. Is this an extended cut?

Mystery solved. After the credits are 6 minutes of black screen and some glimpses of scenes from the movie.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #12 of 12 Old 10-30-2012, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Unlike the others, PHANTOMS is 1080i60, a hint that the master was originally intended for TV broadcast. It's 18GB on the disc. I recall the DVD being poor (4:3 letterboxed, wasn't it?), and this is probably a modest to good upgrade. -Bill

I watched it last night and thought the close-ups showed good to excellent detail but everything else looked soft...couldn't get over the feeling that it was shot this way. Anyway, I thought the sound was very good. DVD was awful, this is a definite improvement.

Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page