Kevin Smith's Dogma and George Miller's The Road Warrior are both OOP! - AVS Forum
Blu-ray Software > Kevin Smith's Dogma and George Miller's The Road Warrior are both OOP!
TwinTurboZX's Avatar TwinTurboZX 09:31 PM 06-30-2012
Been doin a lot of lurkin and not enough postin the last few months, but I got to give you guys a heads up on this. I read on Blu-ray.com that both of these titles are long gone on Blu-ray. Supposedly The Road Warrior won't be re-released till next summer to milk the new movie for all they can get and Dogma is just plain out of print in all formats.

http://www.amazon.com/Dogma-Blu-ray-Ben-Affleck/dp/B0011UF792/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1341113367&sr=8-3&keywords=dogma
http://www.amazon.com/The-Road-Warrior-Blu-ray-Gibson/dp/B000OCZD5G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1341113381&sr=8-2&keywords=the+road+warrior

ball busters...

Dan Average's Avatar Dan Average 10:38 PM 06-30-2012
I suspect Sony simply lost the rights to Dogma. When Disney dumped it, the Weinsteins personally bought it from Disney/Miramax, then sold the distribution rights to Lionsgate. Lionsgate didn't have a video arm at the time, so Sony got the video rights. My guess is that Sony's rights has expired and Lionsgate now has the video rights too -- Lionsgate's name is all over the Sony DVD/Blu releases, so Sony was probably releasing it under a license. Of course, it's a fair question whether a hypothetical Lionsgate Blu would be better than Sony's.
TwinTurboZX's Avatar TwinTurboZX 11:56 PM 06-30-2012
I can't recall what Lionsgate discs look like, however, I know that Sony dics are usually pretty good in my eyes.
LexInVA's Avatar LexInVA 09:00 AM 07-01-2012
Nothing to worry about. There are plenty of copies of Dogma floating around in the budget bins and you can even find it at grocery stores as part of the Sony Blu-Ray offerings. The Road Warrior will definitely get a superior Blu-Ray release at some point in the near future, to tie in with the Mad Max remake.
dvdmike007's Avatar dvdmike007 10:40 AM 07-01-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post

Nothing to worry about. There are plenty of copies of Dogma floating around in the budget bins and you can even find it at grocery stores as part of the Sony Blu-Ray offerings. The Road Warrior will definitely get a superior Blu-Ray release at some point in the near future, to tie in with the Mad Max remake.

How? it already has stunning PQ and a commentary
wuther's Avatar wuther 02:12 PM 07-01-2012
Quote:

You know this is WB you are writing about dont you? More like repackaging.
TwinTurboZX's Avatar TwinTurboZX 03:42 PM 07-01-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post

You know this is WB you are writing about dont you? More like repackaging.

QFT. They're repackaging Blade Runner after all, I have a feeling they don't care about they're other catalog titles nearly as much.
PooperScooper's Avatar PooperScooper 04:24 AM 07-02-2012
Quote:

You can still buy them with no problem at the Amazon links. It would be different if the prices were over $100 or more like some OOP DVDs of years gone by.

larry
Up
Mobile  Desktop