Kevin Smith's Dogma and George Miller's The Road Warrior are both OOP! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-30-2012, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Been doin a lot of lurkin and not enough postin the last few months, but I got to give you guys a heads up on this. I read on Blu-ray.com that both of these titles are long gone on Blu-ray. Supposedly The Road Warrior won't be re-released till next summer to milk the new movie for all they can get and Dogma is just plain out of print in all formats.

http://www.amazon.com/Dogma-Blu-ray-Ben-Affleck/dp/B0011UF792/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1341113367&sr=8-3&keywords=dogma
http://www.amazon.com/The-Road-Warrior-Blu-ray-Gibson/dp/B000OCZD5G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1341113381&sr=8-2&keywords=the+road+warrior

ball busters...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-30-2012, 10:38 PM

I suspect Sony simply lost the rights to Dogma. When Disney dumped it, the Weinsteins personally bought it from Disney/Miramax, then sold the distribution rights to Lionsgate. Lionsgate didn't have a video arm at the time, so Sony got the video rights. My guess is that Sony's rights has expired and Lionsgate now has the video rights too -- Lionsgate's name is all over the Sony DVD/Blu releases, so Sony was probably releasing it under a license. Of course, it's a fair question whether a hypothetical Lionsgate Blu would be better than Sony's.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-30-2012, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I can't recall what Lionsgate discs look like, however, I know that Sony dics are usually pretty good in my eyes.
post #4 of 8 Old 07-01-2012, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Nothing to worry about. There are plenty of copies of Dogma floating around in the budget bins and you can even find it at grocery stores as part of the Sony Blu-Ray offerings. The Road Warrior will definitely get a superior Blu-Ray release at some point in the near future, to tie in with the Mad Max remake.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-01-2012, 10:40 AM

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post

Nothing to worry about. There are plenty of copies of Dogma floating around in the budget bins and you can even find it at grocery stores as part of the Sony Blu-Ray offerings. The Road Warrior will definitely get a superior Blu-Ray release at some point in the near future, to tie in with the Mad Max remake.

How? it already has stunning PQ and a commentary
post #6 of 8 Old 07-01-2012, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

You know this is WB you are writing about dont you? More like repackaging.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-01-2012, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post

You know this is WB you are writing about dont you? More like repackaging.

QFT. They're repackaging Blade Runner after all, I have a feeling they don't care about they're other catalog titles nearly as much.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-02-2012, 04:24 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:

You can still buy them with no problem at the Amazon links. It would be different if the prices were over $100 or more like some OOP DVDs of years gone by.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page