post #451 of 997 Old 10-07-2012, 04:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

It's not like that one word being used would have helped the scene (or movie) at all. wink.gif
Agreed.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 997 Old 10-08-2012, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Finally got the 3D working and was not let down, such a beautiful image, and I had no crosstalk at all.

Thanks, Mike!
Quote:

While I don't necessarily have a problem with the term (abortion) being used I think it's a bit assumptive on your part to call people insecure should they have a problem with the term abortion being used. Context or not they're still real people portraying realistically written characters (well... lol) and it's a sensitive enough subject that I see no problem with an alternative term being used. We're just not at that point yet where such issues aren't as highly charged as they are currently. Just accept it and move on. It's not like that one word being used would have helped the scene (or movie) at all. wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Agreed.

+1

Also, thanks to all giving insight on David's "emotions" (or lack thereof). This just goes to show you how good a character a Weyland android can be, especially when wonderfully developed by Mr. Michael Fassbender (awesome example of acting!). If not for anything else (I'm bitterly opposed to those who don't get this movie), owning this is a must, IMHO!
post #453 of 997 Old 10-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 606
Whoooo! Can't wait to watch this tomorrow and then dig into the 3.5hr making-of doc. biggrin.gif

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #454 of 997 Old 10-08-2012, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Whoooo! Can't wait to watch this tomorrow and then dig into the 3.5hr making-of doc. biggrin.gif

Same here.

I may watch Alien tonight to gear up for Prometheus tomorrow. I've been dying to watch it on my 119" screen anyway.

Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project

post #455 of 997 Old 10-08-2012, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranteacher View Post

Thanks, Mike!
+1
Also, thanks to all giving insight on David's "emotions" (or lack thereof). This just goes to show you how good a character a Weyland android can be, especially when wonderfully developed by Mr. Michael Fassbender (awesome example of acting!). If not for anything else (I'm bitterly opposed to those who don't get this movie), owning this is a must, IMHO!

Ash was the same, he was following orders to a fault.
He was not angry or nasty just filled with definitive purpose to a fault.
post #456 of 997 Old 10-08-2012, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

While I don't necessarily have a problem with the term being used I think it's a bit assumptive on your part to call people insecure should they have a problem with the term abortion being used. Context or not they're still real people portraying realistically written characters (well... lol) and it's a sensitive enough subject that I see no problem with an alternative term being used. We're just not at that point yet where such issues aren't as highly charged as they are currently. Just accept it and move on. It's not like that one word being used would have helped the scene (or movie) at all. wink.gif

If someone is secure enough with their beliefs on the subject of abortion, why should it matter to them what anyone else says about it, or that someone even mentions the word in a movie?? To me, this shows a sign of insecurity or doubt of how they really feel. If it is what you are implying, I refuse to believe the writers' initial intent was to use the word abortion but decided against it as to not offend anyone and used the word caesarean instead. Its absolutely asinine to think this. Not to mention it makes much more sense in the context of the movie for several different reasons why she would have requested caesarean--she was a scientist trying to make contact with alien life and would probably rather extract the alien without killing it in order to study it... she was catholic and abortion is a sin in her religion.... and in the context of the film by having the creature survive the scene it sets up another important scene later on.

TC-P46G10 build date May 2009
Settings and Calibration Reports
post #457 of 997 Old 10-08-2012, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor|WAR View Post

she was catholic and abortion is a sin in her religion.... and in the context of the film by having the creature survive the scene it sets up another important scene later on.

lol...a sin... sigh...(that sigh is not for you Meteor|WAR...) Well in the context of the film, I don't think she would have minded if the thing had died or not. So I'm guessing she was going for a "caesarian-based abortion". There. tongue.gif The fact that it survived or not wasn't something she planned in the first place. Just a wild guess though wink.gif
post #458 of 997 Old 10-08-2012, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

The commentary had some interesting insights on David and his motivation from Scott
post #459 of 997 Old 10-08-2012, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

lol...a sin... sigh...(that sigh is not for you Meteor|WAR...) Well in the context of the film, I don't think she would have minded if the thing had died or not. So I'm guessing she was going for a "caesarian-based abortion". There. tongue.gif The fact that it survived or not wasn't something she planned in the first place. Just a wild guess though wink.gif

I'm pretty sure even the hardest-core Republicans would have approved her decision to abort that thing rolleyes.gif

KMFDMvsEnya likes this.

post #460 of 997 Old 10-08-2012, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm just taking the scene for the literal meaning of its dialogue. In the realm of science fiction there are many, many different ways they could have done the scene rather than as a caesarean. Hell, she could have just said "eradicate foreign life form!" But the writers' chose "caesarean." Going by the actual dialogue she didn't want it dead for whatever reason. Anything else is an assumption.

post #461 of 997 Old 10-08-2012, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamian View Post

I'm pretty sure even the hardest-core Republicans would have approved her decision to abort that thing rolleyes.gif

I have no doubt either smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor|WAR View Post

Going by the actual dialogue she didn't want it dead for whatever reason. Anything else is an assumption.

I don't remember that specific part of the dialogue. One thing for sure I know what I'm watching tomorrow! That should refresh my memory wink.gif
post #462 of 997 Old 10-08-2012, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I don't remember that specific part of the dialogue. One thing for sure I know what I'm watching tomorrow! That should refresh my memory wink.gif

Its just a one word voice command to the autodoc that says it all - "caesarean." If you don't remember that line then I can understand the confusion.

post #463 of 997 Old 10-08-2012, 02:08 PM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 606
Quote:

The commentary had some interesting insights on David and his motivation from Scott

Oh, damn. Forgot there was a commentary too! Woot! I'll be awash in extras for Prometheus this week. biggrin.gif

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #464 of 997 Old 10-08-2012, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

more than one!
post #465 of 997 Old 10-08-2012, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Ditto! Was originally thinking there would be nuggets left on the floor that tied certain things in better. Doubt if that will be the case now but will definately dig in to that as well.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #466 of 997 Old 10-08-2012, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

There is footage and shots of scenes that are not on the disc anywhere I can find
post #467 of 997 Old 10-08-2012, 03:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The fact that it survived or not wasn't something she planned in the first place.
Agreed.

She KNEW, or at least had a pretty good idea, what it was.
The only thing she could think of was to get it out....NOW!
It was my impression she was surprised it survived the procedure at all.

Quote:

I have no doubt either smile.gif
Uhhhhh, I'm not so sure....

post #468 of 997 Old 10-08-2012, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Agreed.
She KNEW, or at least had a pretty good idea, what it was.
The only thing she could think of was to get it out....NOW!
It was my impression she was surprised it survived the procedure at all.

I can go along with that interpretation.

What I can't go along with is that she was TRYING to kill it, or "abort" it. There's really nothing in the scene that conclusively points to that. She was simply trying to get it out of her, period.

post #469 of 997 Old 10-08-2012, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
the point of the scene was to have a body horror sequence.
The plot of the movie is just a pretext to the violence/horror, it's just the fifth (or seventh) Alien movie.

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
post #470 of 997 Old 10-08-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:

Ash was the same, he was following orders to a fault.
He was not angry or nasty just filled with definitive purpose to a fault.

Awesome acting by Mr. Ian Holm as well!
post #471 of 997 Old 10-08-2012, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post

The plot of the movie is just a pretext to the violence/horror, it's just the fifth (or seventh) Alien movie.

There are only 4 "Alien movies"...

Perhaps if people who hate Prometheus so much had not excepted an "Alien movie" they could have appreciate it a little more.
post #472 of 997 Old 10-08-2012, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:

There are only 4 "Alien movies"...
Perhaps if people who hate Prometheus so much had not excepted an "Alien movie" they could have appreciate it a little more.

I think they counted some of the AvP in the 7.....So the 5 Prometheus, Alien, Aliens, Aliens 3, Aliens Ressurection.AvP, AvP:R

I would tend to agree with you more though, that if the expectation were not for a true Aliens movie, then it might ahve been rated higher.....
post #473 of 997 Old 10-08-2012, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I've stated on many occasions that that was the case. Scott and Lindelhof and everyone involved kept saying "it's not a prequel, it's not Alien", but I think so many people wanted it to be, and when it wasn't, they went berserk.

The movie wasn't exactly what I thought it would be, but it was the type of film I thought it would be, what I wanted it to be.. a bit of At the Mountains of Madness vibe of walking around an ancient, alien environment without the slightest clue what any of it is. More about mood than jump scares and action.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #474 of 997 Old 10-08-2012, 10:50 PM

Liked: 20
I don't mind it not being a prequel. I'm just upset that it's not a very good movie.
post #475 of 997 Old 10-08-2012, 11:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi2016 View Post

I've stated on many occasions that that was the case. Scott and Lindelhof and everyone involved kept saying "it's not a prequel, it's not Alien"
I think the reason why RS said that was to distance Prometheus from A3 & A4 (because neither was well received).
However, what Prometheus lays out on-screen makes it VERY much a prequel to the Alienverse....the ties are everywhere in this film.wink.gif

post #476 of 997 Old 10-08-2012, 11:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 243
I haven't got the Blu-Ray yet, but...

One of the problems I mentioned before that I had with Prometheus was that it was too well lit overall. By that I mean even the darkest scenes didn't have the creepy drop-into-darkness shadow areas you got with Alien.

I assume this was due to the higher lighting levels that Scott said were required for 3D - where he would normally go darker, he had to over-light sets to capture 3D and then re-time and compensate in post production for a darker look. But it still retained a general level of visibility that took away what could have been more moody and suspenseful looking environment. Thus, despite all the technical advances used in Prometheus, I still found the original Alien planet, landscapes, ships, interiors etc more moody, dangerous and evocative and hence more effective.
post #477 of 997 Old 10-09-2012, 01:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

I haven't got the Blu-Ray yet, but...
One of the problems I mentioned before that I had with Prometheus was that it was too well lit overall. By that I mean even the darkest scenes didn't have the creepy drop-into-darkness shadow areas you got with Alien.
I assume this was due to the higher lighting levels that Scott said were required for 3D - where he would normally go darker, he had to over-light sets to capture 3D and then re-time and compensate in post production for a darker look. But it still retained a general level of visibility that took away what could have been more moody and suspenseful looking environment. Thus, despite all the technical advances used in Prometheus, I still found the original Alien planet, landscapes, ships, interiors etc more moody, dangerous and evocative and hence more effective.

Well, it's a completely different film in almost every way than Alien (or Aliens for that matter) so you can't really judge the way Scott filmed this one compared to a 3 decade+ older film. There *are* a few scenes that have some pretty deep blacks but yeah, it's nothing like the oppressive dark creepiness of Alien. Speaking for myself, I really liked the overall look and way Prometheus was filmed and I think the Blu-ray will really impress anyone of like mind.
post #478 of 997 Old 10-09-2012, 03:54 AM - Thread Starter

The abortion stuff is nuts, glad they cut the forced male rape!

Also Batty with a pulse rifle?
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/58939
post #479 of 997 Old 10-09-2012, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 139
Quote:

The abortion stuff is nuts, glad they cut the forced male rape!
Also Batty with a pulse rifle?
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/58939

That link is one of the coolest movie crossover things I have ever seen. Can't wait to check it for myself when I'm able to watch the BD and freeze frame tonight.
post #480 of 997 Old 10-09-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyslammer View Post

Well, it's a completely different film in almost every way than Alien (or Aliens for that matter) so you can't really judge the way Scott filmed this one compared to a 3 decade+ older film. There *are* a few scenes that have some pretty deep blacks but yeah, it's nothing like the oppressive dark creepiness of Alien. Speaking for myself, I really liked the overall look and way Prometheus was filmed and I think the Blu-ray will really impress anyone of like mind.

Agreed.

I experienced the opposite to what many are saying: I actually went to see this expecting it to distance itself as much as possible from Alien, even though I learned about the Ridley Scott/Prometheus project in the letter Sir RS writes as an intro to the Alien Anthology 6-Disc Blu-ray Collection, and which got me very excited from the get-go.

What is odd is the fact that it is there where RS puts in writing that he's working on a "prequel to Alien" (no title of it or anything, just that much) thanks to the inspiration he got when helping on the restoration process of said Anthology.

So, why did I, of all people, having said that, expect Prometheus to not look like a prequel? Well, because -- call me crazy -- I wanted something different. I didn't want to see that xenomorph unless it was a slight nod. I wanted to see how cool "our engineers" could look. But, most importantly, I wanted to see a universe more upbeat, or sleek, in Retina-sreen-iPad-4 times; more TRON-Legacy-ish if you'd like. A thing I found the 3D to enhance greatly. In other words, despite the flaws everyone seems to tirelessly keep bringing up, I got exactly what, at least I, was expecting, and then some!

As a matter of fact, I took my wife and my 17-year-old son to that 4DX theater I mentioned earlier to see this and they found it equally jaw-dropping (we missed the IMAX-3D showing so we opted for the next best thing) -- one of the most memorable movie experiences we've had, and that's saying a lot! Though the theater effects added much, indeed, the movie itself had us discussing possible explanations on the drive back home! Thus, I suspect my own Blu-ray 3D set will be nothing less than spectacular (and a worthy addition to my Anthology)!

On a side note, Alien Anthology rocks! (I got the cheaper-but-still-nicely-packaged region-free version, which I highly recommend for the first two movies and extras alone) My $0.02... wink.gif
Closed Thread Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page