Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #541 of 997 Old 10-10-2012, 05:14 PM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1736 Post(s)
Liked: 3072
I had a 3D Panasonic plasma for a month and I got a headache right away each time I used it. Same with the PS3 LCD 3D dispaly. I switched to a Vizio passive 3D set and now I can play video games in 3D for hours on end with zero eye strain or headache or anything... or watch 2+ hour movies uninterrupted, etc. etc. I do find shutter glasses to be too dark and also the flickering makes the strain worse. I just don't agree there is no solution, from a practical perspective IMAX and passive 3D sets use the exact same glasses, and passive LCD 3D TV sets can easily achieve the same screen brightness as an IMAX movie theater. The resolution loss has been WAY over-hyped, passive sets are the way to go for in-home 3D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

OK, some of you guys don't understand English. 3D gives me a headache when watching at home. It's terribly painfully horrible.
It happens in theaters IF the picture is dim. That is why I only go to IMAX for 3D movies. No brightness issues. That is how I saw this film originally and I quite enjoyed it, despite the annoying glasses.
At home, no solution has presented itself. I cannot watch 3D. Just can't. FOX should have made those extras available on the regular release.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 997 Old 10-10-2012, 05:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

It's a deluxe release, not a 3d release simple.
It had the 3d and the 2d and the extras, English does not come into it sorry. You want the cheap one disc buy that, if not it's the deluxe set.
Touchy touchy. I gave my opinion. Relax, a little. You and I are on the same side anyway. cool.gif

I see no reason why the extras should be packaged with 3D and only 3D. I know it's all about money, but in this economy choices have to be made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

I had a 3D Panasonic plasma for a month and I got a headache right away each time I used it. Same with the PS3 LCD 3D dispaly. I switched to a Vizio passive 3D set and now I can play video games in 3D for hours on end with zero eye strain or headache or anything... or watch 2+ hour movies uninterrupted, etc. etc. I do find shutter glasses to be too dark and also the flickering makes the strain worse. I just don't agree there is no solution, from a practical perspective IMAX and passive 3D sets use the exact same glasses, and passive LCD 3D TV sets can easily achieve the same screen brightness as an IMAX movie theater. The resolution loss has been WAY over-hyped, passive sets are the way to go for in-home 3D.
OK, so do you want to buy me a new TV? smile.gif I went through hell with an LG plasma. It was a nightmare and I'll never buy LG again. Long story short, I now have a 73" DLP and I am happy with it. I like the picture. The wife likes it. But it hasn't solved my 3D problems.

Until someone gifts me a 3D TV that won't cause my eyeballs to to feel like they are being pierced with needles, I'm staying with 2D.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #543 of 997 Old 10-10-2012, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Good news/Bad news Regarding Prometheus 3D/2D Set:

I returned/exchanged the PROMETHEUS 3D Bluray set to a different BB for exchange. I was hoping the problem rests with the 2D Bluray discs and not with the SONY S550's ability to play them because it would have been the first 2D Bluray discs my S550 has not been able to play, ever.

FINDINGS: I watched the 3D Prometheus Bluray set I exchanged at a different BB today and here are the results:

1) The Good News: Both the 2D Bluray movie Prometheus and the 2D Bluray Extended Extras discs played flawlessly on our SONY BDP-S550 and exhibited none of the serious problems I listed earlier. No bricking of my player, no macro blocking, no freezing of functions on the Bluray remote or player... nothing. Everything worked and played exactly like it was supposed to: Exceptional Audio and Video.

2) The Bad News: From my personal experience and the experience of a number of others here on AVS and people posting on the Internet, there are definitely some copies of this 3D/2D set of Prometheus that have serious problems that are factory/pressing related (the extensive macro blocking throughout the last 1/4 of the film occured at the exact same spots and in exactly the same way every time and everywhere I rewound and checked throughout the entire last 1/4 of the film, indicating that the problems were imbedded in the disc and not a malfunction of our player. So let the buyer beware. *If anyone on AVS experiences any of the problems/issues I listed in my original post regarding the 3D set of Prometheus, immediately return the set and exchange it for another one (preferably from a different location because the batch the store had you purchased yours from may have more defective sets from the same pressing).

I hope these findings/information prove helpful to everyone interested in purchasing the Blu-ray version of Prometheus.
post #544 of 997 Old 10-10-2012, 05:49 PM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Dude you need to relax. So do I, lols. I did not say buy a new TV. I said that a solution that could work for you exists. If it's not worth the money to you, fine.

I'll venture a guess... the extras are there in the 3D version because Prometheus was conceived as a 3D movie and specifically caters to that audience. Frankly I think watching Prometheus in 2D is akin to watching Hugo in 2D. They are reduced to technically great films by great directors. In 3D both movies are elevated to a higher level. Not exactly ground-breaking like Avatar... but a higher level nonetheless. I would not say the same thing about Avengers, for example.

3D plasma is GREAT for in-store demos but at home it cannot handle bright scenes properly plus flickering is part of the package and that combo makes watching 3D through active shutter glasses a prescription for a headache. In the future you might consider a passive set as 3D becomes more common, and if glasses-free viewing is really just vapor-tech. For now enjoy your 73" Mitsubishi, at least you've got deep blacks and no issues with flickering or burn-in etc. etc. - honestly I considered one of those as well.

Economy is still tough but getting better. I want a DLP projector so I can watch movies in 2D with great fidelity and at movie-theater proportions, but I have to wait. I suppose I could have bought that instead of building new speakers and buying amps but to me great sound was the top priority, followed by a 3D set that was not fatiguing (because I LOVE car racing video games in 3D). Priority #3 is a big screen with deep blacks, and that's the one I cannot afford yet.mad.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

OK, so do you want to buy me a new TV? smile.gif I went through hell with an LG plasma. It was a nightmare and I'll never buy LG again. Long story short, I now have a 73" DLP and I am happy with it. I like the picture. The wife likes it. But it hasn't solved my 3D problems.
Until someone gifts me a 3D TV that won't cause my eyeballs to to feel like they are being pierced with needles, I'm staying with 2D.

post #545 of 997 Old 10-10-2012, 06:57 PM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

SO- what's this DVD trading thing at Best Buy?
Where's the info, and how long is the deal going to last...
Thanks
Djoel

Upgrade and Save through 10/20
post #546 of 997 Old 10-10-2012, 07:20 PM

Liked: 832
post #547 of 997 Old 10-10-2012, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Upgrade and Save through 10/20

Thanks Got it... smile.gif

DJoel
post #548 of 997 Old 10-10-2012, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Own a Passive "Cinema 3D" LG LED 120 Hz Smart TV and it rocks!!! Wife was headache-prone before that and now loves Hugo etc in 3D!!!
imagic likes this.
post #549 of 997 Old 10-10-2012, 09:25 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked: 1031
Just finished watching my copy of Prometheus. I bought the 4-disk 3D special edition. Watched the 2D version on a Panasonic BD55. Flawless playback. No issues though the loading did seem rather long.

Fantastic movie. Going to watch the deleted scenes now.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #550 of 997 Old 10-10-2012, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 49
So the potential pressing problems are only on certain parts of the disc? I did pop the 2D disc in tonight, but only to go through some of the bonus features that were on it, I haven't gone through the commentaries yet (which will be my next couple viewings of the full film). So much content.. so little time!

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #551 of 997 Old 10-10-2012, 10:46 PM

Liked: 13
Load time on an Oppo 103 was super fast. The extras disc in the 4-pack did lock-up my video, then the menu wouldn't let me select anything. Rebooted everything and it played just fine.
post #552 of 997 Old 10-11-2012, 07:03 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

YES! Passive 3D has not been adequately recognized for the easy viewing experience. Prometheus in 3D looked stupendous on my Vizio Razor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranteacher View Post

Own a Passive "Cinema 3D" LG LED 120 Hz Smart TV and it rocks!!! Wife was headache-prone before that and now loves Hugo etc in 3D!!!

post #553 of 997 Old 10-11-2012, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I saw Prometheus in the theater in 3D. My feelings on the movie aside, I thought the 3D was ok (in the theater), but it didn't compare to seeing it at home in 3D! Not even close!

Last night I watched it in my theater. I have a Sony VW95ES and a 130" wide scope screen, along with Monster 3D glasses.... absolutely stunning. In my opinion, this was the best 3D Blu Ray I have seen to date. The depth was incredible, and I didn't have any focus or blur issues. My wife, who doesn't even really enjoy Sci-Fi, made at least a half dozen comments during the movie about how amazing it looked. The widescreen vs 16:9 made a huge difference too. Nothing like a full-scope 3D movie!
imagic likes this.
post #554 of 997 Old 10-11-2012, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 208
I was looking forward to hears Ralph Pott's opinion on this one, odd no review frown.gif

Djoel
post #555 of 997 Old 10-11-2012, 10:11 AM

Liked: 12
for those using PowerDVD 12, it had an update today for new 20th Century Fox titles
imagic likes this.
post #556 of 997 Old 10-11-2012, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Purchased the 3D bluray yesterday, loved the 3D in this movie, very well done. Played on the Oppo 95 and watched it using the Epson 5010 projected on a 147" screen.smile.gif

Do not steal, The powers that be do not like the competition.
post #557 of 997 Old 10-11-2012, 10:27 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Happy for that, even if it is 48 hours late for my purposes! I used an Arcsoft TotalMedia demo to watch it, looked good. Cyberlink could have coordinated that a bit better. Curious if there's any noticeable difference between the two different playback software.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcantu1 View Post

for those using PowerDVD 12, it had an update today for new 20th Century Fox titles

post #558 of 997 Old 10-11-2012, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I cannot believe that some of you think the 3D is that good!

A striking example! When we first see the Captain decorating the Christmas tree, both he and the tree look almost entirely flat. That's just one example of hundreds of poorly composed 3D shots I could point out in this film.
The 3D in Prometheous is hit and miss at best. There are odd shots with lots of depth, some that have almost none and others that are clearly plain old 2D.
Josh Zyber complained about the absense of much if any 3D in the latter part of the movie when it was in theatres and I didn't understand what he was complaining about. Now I do!
post #559 of 997 Old 10-11-2012, 01:14 PM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Bad playback strikes again, because it ain't the movie. Both theaters and home systems can and do botch the 3D sometimes. Seriously. If you want to be a contrarian more power to you but I suggest that you make an effort to see it on a different TV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcdesign View Post

I cannot believe that some of you think the 3D is that good!
A striking example! When we first see the Captain decorating the Christmas tree, both he and the tree look almost entirely flat. That's just one example of hundreds of poorly composed 3D shots I could point out in this film.
The 3D in Prometheous is hit and miss at best. There are odd shots with lots of depth, some that have almost none and others that are clearly plain old 2D.
Josh Zyber complained about the absense of much if any 3D in the latter part of the movie when it was in theatres and I didn't understand what he was complaining about. Now I do!

post #560 of 997 Old 10-11-2012, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I was looking forward to hears Ralph Pott's opinion on this one, odd no review frown.gif
Djoel
I noticed that as well. I figured it would be up before the weekend. Oh well, maybe Monday.

Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project

post #561 of 997 Old 10-11-2012, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Blu-Ray.com has reviewed it as well...said the same as others have here about the 3D

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Prometheus-3D-Blu-ray/39474/#Review
post #562 of 997 Old 10-11-2012, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 50
It really is a perfect set
post #563 of 997 Old 10-11-2012, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

It really is a perfect set

+1 one of the year's best releases, if not the best release.
post #564 of 997 Old 10-11-2012, 04:30 PM

I made it through the 3.5 hour making-of doc in the 4-disc set and its great. A shame its not included with the 2-disc. Even if you don't have a 3D set, its worth the extra $5 if you liked the movie.
post #565 of 997 Old 10-11-2012, 06:19 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmouse007 View Post

Good news/Bad news Regarding Prometheus 3D/2D Set:
I returned/exchanged the PROMETHEUS 3D Bluray set to a different BB for exchange. I was hoping the problem rests with the 2D Bluray discs and not with the SONY S550's ability to play them because it would have been the first 2D Bluray discs my S550 has not been able to play, ever.
FINDINGS: I watched the 3D Prometheus Bluray set I exchanged at a different BB today and here are the results:
1) The Good News: Both the 2D Bluray movie Prometheus and the 2D Bluray Extended Extras discs played flawlessly on our SONY BDP-S550 and exhibited none of the serious problems I listed earlier. No bricking of my player, no macro blocking, no freezing of functions on the Bluray remote or player... nothing. Everything worked and played exactly like it was supposed to: Exceptional Audio and Video.
2) The Bad News: From my personal experience and the experience of a number of others here on AVS and people posting on the Internet, there are definitely some copies of this 3D/2D set of Prometheus that have serious problems that are factory/pressing related (the extensive macro blocking throughout the last 1/4 of the film occured at the exact same spots and in exactly the same way every time and everywhere I rewound and checked throughout the entire last 1/4 of the film, indicating that the problems were imbedded in the disc and not a malfunction of our player. So let the buyer beware. *If anyone on AVS experiences any of the problems/issues I listed in my original post regarding the 3D set of Prometheus, immediately return the set and exchange it for another one (preferably from a different location because the batch the store had you purchased yours from may have more defective sets from the same pressing).
I hope these findings/information prove helpful to everyone interested in purchasing the Blu-ray version of Prometheus.

Using the Pioneer BD-320 Disk won't load, and now the tray is stuck on open. Need to find a way to get the disk out and try returning it for an exchange.
post #566 of 997 Old 10-11-2012, 06:37 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 176

^ Sorry to hear about your and other folks difficulties with this title, Nelson57.

FWIW, I checked out the feature on the 2D-only edition (which, as others mentioned, may not be the best choice for those who prefer copius extras) on two different displays: a 34" 1080i CRT with deep blacks, and a 1080p LCD with 1:1 pixel mapping and poorer blacks. And fwiw, the transfer looks fine to me. Player is a recently purchased Sony BDP-S390, with latest (7-20-12) firmware installed.

I'm not sure what some others may be seeing, but there are a number of "helmet-cam" shots which are deliberately processed to look more degraded. There's alot of picture info that hovers just above black as well, which could produce some noticeable contouring/dithering artifacts on displays with weaker, more elevated blacks and/or poor dynamic contrast routines, esp. some older plasmas with a bit-deficit near black. One possible solution to those kind of issues is to brighten the lighting a bit around the display, so the blacks appear deeper, and problems in that area are less noticeable.

Since someone else brought this up, I did find a few instances of macroblocking/compression artifacts in chapter 10...

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

...where the crew chases the "ghosts" through the tunnels.

There are alot of small moving picture details and rapid cuts in that sequence though, which can be difficult to encode well. Some brief instances of macroblocking are visible in chapter 10 at around 35:44 - 35:45, and 36:00 - 36:01, for example. (Ideally there should have been keyframes at the beginning of each cut in this sequence, but I'm not sure the encoding software used for mastering this type of content is that sophisticated.) I had to look pretty hard to find these errors though, and the rest of the film (including the ending) appears pretty clean.

If this sort of thing really bugs you, there are de-blocking functions (BNR or block-noise reduction) that can be invoked on many players and displays to counteract some of it. I typically keep those features disabled though because they tend to make the picture softer. (The more detail, the better imo, even if it means some occasional artifacts.)

ADU
post #567 of 997 Old 10-11-2012, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcdesign View Post

A striking example! When we first see the Captain decorating the Christmas tree, both he and the tree look almost entirely flat.
The captain and the tree, being the focus of the shot, were at the point of convergence. I trust you understand what that means? Most of the film was shot this way.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #568 of 997 Old 10-11-2012, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 50
Some sequel talk
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

.Regarding the PROMETHEUS sequel (a few persistent rumors say it's called PARADISE - I certainly wouldn't take that to the bank just yet, though), Scott says...

You’ve got a person [Noomi Rapace’s Elizabeth Shaw] with a head in a bag [ Michael Fassbender’s David] that functions and has an IQ of 350. It can explain to her how to put the head back on the body and she’s gonna think about that long and hard because, once the head is back on his body, he’s dangerous.

So that’s the sequel?

[Laughs] I wish it was that easy. They’re going off to paradise but it could be the most savage, horrible place. Who are the Engineers?

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/59007
post #569 of 997 Old 10-11-2012, 08:15 PM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Quote:

Djoel

Greetings,

Sorry for the delay it just arrived yesterday. It should go live tomorrow. Fox only sent the 2D version though..frown.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #570 of 997 Old 10-11-2012, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I am surprised no one has really broached this subject anywhere. Why on earth is there a thin line of EE at the top and bottom of the frame?
Does the 3D version exhibit this as well? Currently can only watch the 2D version.

It is not present on the deleted scenes nor the trailers.
Several movies have this baked and it rather annoying once you notice it.

Otherwise I thought it looked and overall sounded great. Now onto another amazing Lauzirika documentary.

Best Regards
KvE

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shovelling it.

Closed Thread Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page