Prometheus - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-26-2012, 12:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Indeed. He should have been vomiting into a bucket like everyone else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2012, 12:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

But then look how long the movie would have been!
(Sorry, I couldn't resist after all the complaints on the Loooong movie thread wink.gif )
LOL, well, you do have a point.wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by |Tch0rT| View Post

I don't know about you but I hate being asked questions right after waking up. So if I slept for 2000 years and the first thing that's asked of me is to give my science experiment/weird genetic offspring eternal life I right be pissed off enough to rip off the messengers head and beat someone to death with it. wink.gif
Yeah...it's one of those Universal Truths.tongue.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Old 10-26-2012, 01:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by |Tch0rT| View Post

I don't know about you but I hate being asked questions right after waking up... wink.gif

Word, I'da been like "where's my eggs, b---h?!?
Old 10-26-2012, 01:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

You do know OS X is Unix-based as well right? Of course Apple takes great care to hide most of it so grandma's iMac doesn't scare her of, but my terminal window is never very far on my screen. I was using irix back when SGI was still a name in the computer world and when Apple announced the transition to MacOS X I almost had champagne that day - sorry for the off topic interlude wink.gif

Yeah... but I still wouldn't want my spaceship running OS X. I would want it to be as streamlined as possible. Ideally, I wouldn't even use Linux or Unix... but that's just me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post

Wow.
DOS is not loosely or remotely based on Unix. It's based on the command line syntax for the Digital RT-11 line first implemented in 1970. Unix was an academic effort until the late 1970's, when it became adopted more freely.
DOS was designed by Seattle computer and sold to IBM. The original name was 86-DOS and was one of several candidates for the IBM PC based on the Intel 8086 chip. 86-DOS was modeled on the CP/M operating system used for S-100 computers which were the real first wave of PC's produced, along with the Apple II, which used its own Apple DOS (also not based on Unix).
CP/M was modeled after the RT-11 Operating system, which was the dominant mini computer OS at the time.
Off topic and I apologize, and I don't have a dog in this, just not correct.

If you are talking about the original version of DOS... then you're correct... but there was a lot of UNIX-creep into MS-DOS and PC-DOS over time. A lot of DOS ends up being a mash of a few different things, thus my "loosely based on UNIX" description... overly simplified perhaps... but the larger point was that a whole lot of things have borrowed from UNIX and early computer operating systems.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
Old 10-26-2012, 07:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by johncourt View Post

I've watched a bit more of the special features and more and more of the players involved voice their dissatisfaction with the proceedings.
The scriptwriter is the first, politely pointing out that ridley continually disturbed the continuity of the original script with endless interjections of "what if" or "let's say we change this" which ultimately destroyed any initial coherence of the original story.
And as one actor states, slipping out of a-- kissing mode: "why didn't they just hire an old bloke?!?" to play the old bloke.
Granted, everyone involved was paid a princely sum, and hence had no material reason to complain, but the lack of common sense, and ridley's meandering, unfocused thought process, sunk a project that would've been very difficult to pull off even under the most ideal of circumstances.
I wish I could sip on sherry whilst working, though. While chumming around with charlize theron, no less.

That's exactly what the movie feels like: an extended and disjointed bunch of "what if's," and from someone not thinking terribly cogently about the subjects. That's why I say I don't feel myself drawn to pondering the mysteries and trying to uncover a train of thought that makes Prometheus suddenly coherent. There are so many obvious clunkers and lazy missteps simply in characterization and logical coherence that it just doesn't indicate there is some truly cohesive, coherent thought underneath it all.

I do see quite a lot of conjecture around the web, like the "child/parent" analysis linked to earlier, that tries to pull everything together to make sense. But, like sacred scriptures, if you start out thinking "this must make sense" you WILL come up with an interpretation that juggles all the balls (or try to). Whether that interpretation actually depicts the intelligence and thought process of the author/film maker is another thing.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Most of the Deleted Scenes on the BD should have been re-edited back in....it would have helped IMO.
Quote:

But then look how long the movie would have been!
(Sorry, I couldn't resist after all the complaints on the Loooong movie thread wink.gif )

Long movies are great... Sometimes more is more: Dances With Wolves Special Edition immediately comes to mind. Anything that would help fill in even half the holes in Prometheus would be welcomed.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon B View Post

Indeed. He should have been vomiting into a bucket like everyone else.
No, no.. their hypersleep chambers impress, remember? No puking. smile.gif

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post

Long movies are great... Sometimes more is more: Dances With Wolves Special Edition immediately comes to mind. Anything that would help fill in even half the holes in Prometheus would be welcomed.
Unfortunately, Sir Ridley did not consult me on Final Cut....biggrin.gif

Old 10-26-2012, 11:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tack View Post

It apparently wants to explore big questions like life after death and the origins of humanity, but all of that comes across as a thin veneer over a more-or-less amusing monster movie. But even the monster movie element is pretty meandering.

That is a great summary. I really enjoyed the look and overall production design. Visually, it's an incredible feat, and all the technology and environments seem plausible.

But when a gigantic C-shaped object is rolling toward you on its edge, most super genius remorseless corporate shark types, would know to run off to one side.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:37 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_R_STL View Post

But when a gigantic C-shaped object is rolling toward you on its edge, most super genius remorseless corporate shark types, would know to run off to one side.
Most dogs would know.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 50
Quote:

That is a great summary. I really enjoyed the look and overall production design. Visually, it's an incredible feat, and all the technology and environments seem plausible.

Panic is a wonderful thing
Old 10-27-2012, 09:02 AM

Liked: 832
Quote:

And get hit by debris from the late ship Prometheus?

It was an action set up scene that was pretty damn cool. I rarely see people criticizing the over the top, cliche car chase in 80% of movies. Scenes that are just as unbelievable or fantastical.

The real unbelievable thing is how Shaw "Jumps around" at the end between cuts in the scene. She moves three times, hundreds of yards, in what seems like a single sequence. It's an amazing roll.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

You mean how it hurts to stand up, but she can move like Jet Li when she has too?
Old 10-27-2012, 09:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

You mean how it hurts to stand up, but she can move like Jet Li when she has too?
In the sequel it will show she is, in fact, a clone of Mr. Li.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:37 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

And get hit by debris from the late ship Prometheus?
Space Jesus Christ...

How far can you guys stretch the apologies before something breaks? Let's weigh it out. Chance getting hit by debris, or fully succeed in getting squashed. That's a tough one... Of all the idiocy in this film this part may be the worst.

Stephen.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

Space Jesus Christ...
How far can you guys stretch the apologies before something breaks? Let's weigh it out. Chance getting hit by debris, or fully succeed in getting squashed. That's a tough one... Of all the idiocy in this film this part may be the worst.

Or people do dumb things when they panic?
Old 10-27-2012, 09:43 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Or people do dumb things when they panic?
I could buy that a lot easier if that ship was rolling at 100mph.

Stephen.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Why does speed matter, its fight or flight.
No time to map where its going to land, plus it could fall either way
Old 10-27-2012, 09:52 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

^ Either way, and IMO only, it could have been filmed much better.

Stephen.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:34 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

What model of player do you have? I don't recall having that problem on my Sony BDP-S590.
On the other hand, I'm usually impatient and don't watch all of the credits. Sometimes I fast-forward through them in case there's some tidbit at the end like Avengers has. Other times I just use "skip to next chapter" which usually winds up going back to the menu after skipping to the final (empty) chapter of the feature. On some discs, it goes to the disk mastering service's logo before going to the menu.

Mine's a Sony BDP-S360.

"You wanna get nuts?! Ok, let's get nuts!"
Old 10-27-2012, 01:18 PM

Liked: 20
Old 10-27-2012, 01:29 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

^ Haha! That was awesome. Well, to some of us.

Stephen.

Old 10-27-2012, 02:00 PM

Liked: 832
Quote:

Space Jesus Christ...

Just as far as you can stretch the criticisms of a work of fiction.

wink.gif

Every film ever can be reduced to ashes if put through the same lens. Shall we go through star wars? The matrix? Maybe the avengers?
Quote:

^ Haha! That was awesome. Well, to some of us.

HISHE is great stuff, but it's case in point.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Some of us? Let's not forget the red letter and honest trailer clips posted a few pages back
Old 10-27-2012, 02:21 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Has anyone watched this on a JVC projector in 3d? If so, was the ghosting bad?

Thanks

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Old 10-27-2012, 02:25 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Has anyone watched this on a JVC projector in 3d? If so, was the ghosting bad?
Thanks
Leave it to you to try to get a thread back on topic.wink.gif

Stephen.

Old 10-27-2012, 02:53 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:

Leave it to you to try to get a thread back on topic.wink.gif

tongue.gif

Sorry about that. Dont let me interrupt the thread. I am enjoying the discussion. That youtube video above is hilarious! Maybe this movie should have been a sci-fi comedy........or maybe it already is. biggrin.gif

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Old 10-27-2012, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Quote:

Space Jesus Christ...

Have to disagree, the worst is Shaw stumbling just a few feet and finding herself out of the path - scale problem there. She has time to look up and see Vickers still running, so there's a script opportunity for her to yell something like "go to the side!" just before evil corporate dweeb get smushed - nice little dramatic moment missed, and it would have taken the stupid out just a little by acknowledging the panic induced dumbness of running straight.

I just had the rented single disc, but the editor's comments on the deleted scenes feature told me all I needed to know about why this thing is so lame. Editing by lookup table. Editing by app lol.

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I've already stated that I liked this film. The visuals, the audio, the feel of it. But it's useless to try to analyze the story, and by the time I was half way through, I was certain of that. The movie strikes me as more a series of vignettes than a connected whole. Maybe RS intended it that way, I dunno. But you won't get far trying to apply modern dramatic conventions to it.

Not to bore everyone, but to give just two ways a drama (or tragedy) can be presented, take Shakespeare and Aeschylus.

Shakespeare is careful to explain everything to the audience, though he's not above including seemingly irrelevant details if they illuminate a man's character. And it's said that there are as many ways to play the role of Hamlet as there are actors. That is emphatically not how one could describe classic Greek tragedy.

In Shakespeare's Antony and Cleopatra, Menas suggests to Pompey that he simply take the Triumvirs out to sea and throw Crassus and Caesar overboard. What's that got to do with Antony and Cleopatra? Well, it illuminates Pompey's character by his refusal. It also makes the audience think: how differently things might have been.

In Aeschylus' Agamemnon, everything is rigorously subordinated to the theme of crime and punishment. Crime punishable by crime, punishable by crime. In fact, he repeats the theme three times with increasing intensity. The story? Well, he tears it to bits and only uses those elements that fit with his theme. He had no interest in filling in the details, which were well-known to the audience anyway.

So Agamemnon returns from the siege of Troy with the captive princess Cassandra. His wife Clytemnestra murders them and declaims to the audience that he had it coming, because he sacrificed their daughter so the ships could have favorable winds to sail. Aegisthus, her lover, comes in and says Agamemnon had it coming, but for a very different reason.

That's it, the end. But of course the audience also knew that the son of Agamemnon and Clytemnestra, Orestes, would avenge the blood guilt by killing his mother himself. Another crime. But that's enough, I think.

So what about Prometheus? If it has any theme at all, it's about mortality and man's desire to be a god. Not that I'm putting this on the level of classic Greek tragedy, far from it. But it seems to me the theme is the thing, not the story. The story itself is incoherent. As to what Ridley Scott intended, who knows?
Old 10-27-2012, 05:43 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

tongue.gif
Sorry about that. Dont let me interrupt the thread. I am enjoying the discussion. That youtube video above is hilarious! Maybe this movie should have been a sci-fi comedy........or maybe it already is. biggrin.gif
Honestly, for all the hating I spew forth, were it not for several dumbass decisions by Scott, the movie would have been awesome. I just keep coming back to the fact that he had so much time to make it, yet it has so many "questionable" things happen. Like not running sideways to escape the ship, the scientist behaving like mentally handicapped children, Weyland overlooking putting ONE DAMN WEAPON on the Prometheus (a ship that was hopefully taking him to find a means to extend his life...so what if they accomplished that and encountered trouble that a missile could have fixed?). Things of that nature. Maybe I'm just a better planner than Weyland and would have done things much, much differently.

Stephen.