Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #901 of 997 Old 11-04-2012, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I was somewhat disappointed with the image quality on the BD. Some shots clearly were oversharpened (for example landscapes in the beginning). I don't remember it like that from the 2K version.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 997 Old 11-04-2012, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Interesting, 2D or 3D?
post #903 of 997 Old 11-04-2012, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by johncourt View Post

SMH...

yeah well... the fact remains, we don't know *exactly* what, when and how it happens anyway, but what we do know is that the storm prevented them to go outside, they all had to wait until the next morning, so there wasn't much they could do from the ship to help the two bozos in the caves.

...On the 'slow loading time' side of things, I noticed the digital copy takes an unusual amount of time to play as well in iTunes, regardless of the chapter. Strange. If I open it in Quicktime, it's fine. Maybe it has something with the copy-protection and maybe it's the same for the Blu-ray discs. Just a guess.
post #904 of 997 Old 11-04-2012, 12:51 PM

Liked: 20
What do you mean you don't know "what happened" off screen? NOTHING happened offscreen because these are not real life events, just scenes from a mediocre movie. You speak as if these scenes occurred in real life and that other events occurred in between them.
post #905 of 997 Old 11-04-2012, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Except that's not at all what happened in Alien.
Ripley saw the Alien and set the cat cage down. She ran back to the bridge to stop the self-destruct sequence, only to get there too late. On her way to the escape pod, she went back the way she came (because she had no other way to get there) and picked the cat up again. She didn't risk her life for the cat. She saw the cat on her way and grabbed it.
CHAP 32: KITTY, KITTY, KITTY (around 1:27 of 2003 version)
Ripley and remainder of crew in abject terror, determine finally that their best bet for survival is to conform strategy to match Lambert's barely controlled, horror-struck sense of things: jettison the hell out, abandon all. Ripley hurredly prepares shuttle, Lambert and Parker launch a frantic panicked foray to procure necessary coolant. Juxtaposition of Ripley in focused and mostly quiet determination to prep shuttle bay, against frenzied banging/clanking of coolant canisters elsewhere in ship. Ripley can hear her compatriots over ship's open intercom. Jones unleashes a cry from unknown locale. Ripley drops everything she has been doing in those moments of ultimate surrender to the terror, grabs "titanium fortified" cat carrier, goes in somewhat protracted, quiet, careful search.

From IMdB: "On the ship's open intercom system, Ripley hears the cat and realizes Jones has been left behind. Alone, she goes out into the hallways of the Nostromo to find him. Expecting the alien at every turn, Ripley finally locates the cat and puts him into his traveling container."

Ridley Scott 2003 commentary of those moments: "Again, would I buy Jonesy today? I didn't even think about it in those days, I thought "Why not? You know, you have a cat, she'd be attached to the cat." Like I've got dogs. Would I go back for my dogs? Absolutely."

My sense of it is that she went back for the cat. This seems utterly realistic to me, unlike some of what is in ALIEN. Off the top of my head, I can distinctly remember from first viewing way back then: Ripley: "What does it key on?" Ash (visibly irked): "Micro changes in air density." It struck me as odd even upon first viewing in the theater that they would even bother to include that tidbit, as it was so obviously absurd. Of course micro changes would be triggered by even the slightest movement of the device tip through space, but it gave us some fleshing out of Ash's emotion, though this seems somewhat absurd as well, especially in context with his clinical assessment that "all may die" is a perfectly acceptable revised mission statement, oh, plus the fact that emotion in the constellation of Ash's programmed response spectrum would seem untidy, to say the least. Scott himself claims Ash is 75% humanoid, but as we see, no part of him is depicted to be human, even including the flesh itself.

Another thing: isn't the self-destruct fail-safe at least somewhat ridiculous/inexplicable? Why would the company rig the ship for destruction? Under what circumstances leave the expendable crew to make that determination? Must be trillions in ship and ore. Anything they rig for destruction of this kind poses far more risk than spending any of that money on any other fail-safe. Also, presumably the exploded space junk would likely tear Ripley's last bastion to shreds itself, but I must admit I found, and do find, ALIEN to be a compelling movie nevertheless.

Just another thing that strikes me here as well. If the original mission is to mine for ore, why oh why would this have anything to do with checking out some random radio waves at horrendous expense? -- presumably nothing whatsoever was known of any valuable discovery to be made, let alone once that is known, risking everything on bringing this very tenuous promise to the home planet, whether weapon useful, or no.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

The characters in Alien all behave rationally given the circumstances they find themselves in. They do the best with that they have, even though the deck is stacked against them. That you can't comprehend this, and would find this at all comparable to the abject idiocy of the characters in Prometheus, is your failing, not Alien's.

Possibly less compelling (and possibly more interesting) is PROMETHEUS. Actually I do not look to sci-fi flicks to answer my questions of human origin (or anything else of Earth-shattering import -- sorry), so wasn't really disappointed that I can't start a new religion on the basis of what I learned from the movie. Also I definitely find myself less invested in the characters and situations if I can't believe them, but my interest is increased as to why Scott made the choices he did in this latest effort, especially as you point out, they make the characters and situations seem ludicrous.

But in any case, there WAS LFE in this movie, and those moments where it was featured WERE strung together with something simulating a story, as we have come to expect from our home theater experience, so it satisfies as a fine fine cinematic vehicle. Plus there is great stuff to look at, and if you want to think about people and motivations and humanity and choices, Scott gives you every reason to embark on just such an exercise as we have going here. BRAVO! Certainly one of the best films of the decade, at the very least.
post #906 of 997 Old 11-04-2012, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What do you mean you don't know "what happened" off screen? NOTHING happened offscreen because these are not real life events, just scenes from a mediocre movie. You speak as if these scenes occurred in real life and that other events occurred in between them.

I only mean it's not shown. I don't need you to remind me that these are not real life events I kind of know nothing really happened you know. I can't believe I'm even responding to this. rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif Whatever. I'm done discussing this film.
post #907 of 997 Old 11-05-2012, 02:11 AM

I meant no offense man, it just sounded like you were discussing the film in a very literal sense. And that phrase "whatever it is they were doing" is the coolest euphemism of all time. smile.gif

Now, having said that, I still don't understand my sadistic desire to continually criticize the film. But it's so much fun, I relish every opportunity.

To wit, the writer's commentary. The two writers obviously have some degree of professional rivalry, and clearly don't like each other very much. They recorded separate commentaries, which were spliced together.

Overall, the commentary is quite annoying. Much if not most of it, is superficial and self congratulatory. Spaihts is none too kind to the original Alien, claiming that it featured "crushed blacks" whereas HIS prometheus, has gorgeous state of the art visuals. What an a--. Both writers are apparently very proud of their work, gushing about how each scene "works" pointing out how well the story flows.

If you like the film, you'll really enjoy the commentary track. Both writers are very proud of their work, and are not shy about telling you how good their movie is.
post #908 of 997 Old 11-05-2012, 03:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Interesting, 2D or 3D?
2D
post #909 of 997 Old 11-05-2012, 03:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I meant no offense man, it just sounded like you were discussing the film in a very literal sense.

No I was just saying it from a story standpoint of course.
My comments were a bit harsh too I guess ; and for this I apologize.
Quote:
To wit, the writer's commentary. The two writers obviously have some degree of professional rivalry, and clearly don't like each other very much. They recorded separate commentaries, which were spliced together.
Overall, the commentary is quite annoying. Much if not most of it, is superficial and self congratulatory. Spaihts is none too kind to the original Alien, claiming that it featured "crushed blacks" whereas HIS prometheus, has gorgeous state of the art visuals. What an a--. Both writers are apparently very proud of their work, gushing about how each scene "works" pointing out how well the story flows.
If you like the film, you'll really enjoy the commentary track. Both writers are very proud of their work, and are not shy about telling you how good their movie is.

If it's this kind of commentary then I'm not sure I'll like it - I already like the film the writers don't have to convince me wink.gif And I haven't finished watching the extras on disc 3. smile.gif
post #910 of 997 Old 11-05-2012, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhafner View Post

2D

please do not post anything about the quality of the bd in this thread.

neflixis our nemesis
post #911 of 997 Old 11-05-2012, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

2D

That is beyond odd, kind you could be a camera artifact
post #912 of 997 Old 11-05-2012, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was somewhat disappointed with the image quality on the BD. Some shots clearly were oversharpened (for example landscapes in the beginning). I don't remember it like that from the 2K version.
Haven't seen the BD but that's how they looked in the 70mm IMAX 3D screening.
post #913 of 997 Old 11-05-2012, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I do not recall anything sharpened apart from the small EE running along the top and bottom borders of the image. It is minimal but clearly observable once you notice them, which is present throughout the entire film. It does not exist on the trailers nor the deleted scenes.

Again I am surprised no one has really discussed it all things considered, apart from that overall rock solid PQ and AQ.

Best Regards
KvE

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shovelling it.

post #914 of 997 Old 11-06-2012, 02:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

2D

That is beyond odd, kind you could be a camera artifact
The camera (Red Epic) adds no sharpening artifacts. Postprocessing does.
post #915 of 997 Old 11-06-2012, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I meant maybe its naturally sharp depending on condition
post #916 of 997 Old 11-06-2012, 06:51 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFDMvsEnya View Post

I do not recall anything sharpened apart from the small EE running along the top and bottom borders of the image. It is minimal but clearly observable once you notice them, which is present throughout the entire film. It does not exist on the trailers nor the deleted scenes.
Again I am surprised no one has really discussed it all things considered, apart from that overall rock solid PQ and AQ.
Best Regards
KvE

I didn't really notice the EE on the edges of the frame until you mentioned it. But I'd agree with both comments above that there is some high-frequency detail enhancement visible in certain places on this title (the 2D version anyway, which is all I've seen). In addition to some of the landscapes, I also noticed it in the following scenes...

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

1. Closeups of the alien "helmet" when its being examined in the lab.

2. The shot when the Prometheus collides with the alien vessel near the end.

The digital cinematography in this title gets pretty soft at times due to depth of field effects and so forth, so maybe that's why the detail enhancement was added.

ADU
post #917 of 997 Old 11-08-2012, 01:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

I meant maybe its naturally sharp depending on condition
Red Epic has a conservative OLPF that produces naturally sharp images but never bordering unnatural sharpness. Prometheus has halos at times, plain and simple.
post #918 of 997 Old 11-08-2012, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post

Haven't seen the BD but that's how they looked in the 70mm IMAX 3D screening.

True, but that was par for the course with most of the 15/70 IMAX 2D/3D presentations I've seen, TDKR and Titanic being the exceptions.
post #919 of 997 Old 11-09-2012, 12:02 PM

Liked: 10
Redbox just released Prometheus this week. Since the only video rental place in my town has had it checked out every time I have been in there, I decided to give it a shot. Unfortunately, it would not play on any of my several programs on my HTPC, even after several hours worth of tweaking with codecs. Audio was fine but video was badly distorted. So I called and reserved the Bluray of Prometheus at my local store to try it out. It worked perfectly, but had different cover art on the disc. Since this is a new release, I couldn't find any issues reported online. My guess is that Redbox either bought some bootleg BDs, or they have implemented a new encryption on this disc, like they did with the initial Prometheus release.

Anyone else have this issue? I think I am done with Redbox for good. Not the first time I have had issues and there is really no remediation. If it was a problem with my HTPC software, I wouldn't really expect a refund, but if it is a faulty disc, I would. However, trying to convince them to give me a refund for $1.68 isn't really worth my time.
post #920 of 997 Old 11-09-2012, 02:28 PM

Redbox has individual vendors who often buy their own movies. No telling where those movies came from.
post #921 of 997 Old 11-09-2012, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

i've had issues like this with redbox before on some new releases.

most people don't believe me, but what you described is pretty much the same as i previously experienced.
clearly not the same version on the bd that is for sale.

neflixis our nemesis
post #922 of 997 Old 11-12-2012, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Thread has been rolled back to the last seemingly civil discussion about the film. Off-topic, attacking and bickering posts have been removed. Further off-topic posts will result in the poster being banned from this thread.

Also remember, these threads are for discussion of the movie by those who have seen it or plan to. If you didn't see the movie and just came in her to threadcrap, then go elsewhere. Won't tolerate it.

The rest of you: No more complaining in open forums about trolling, etc. If you don't have the cajones to report the posts that bother you, then you don't have the right to gripe about them. The RP button is there for a reason. Ignore it and post retaliations of your own and risk being banned from the thread too.
iamian likes this.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #923 of 997 Old 11-13-2012, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raizer View Post

Since this is a new release, I couldn't find any issues reported online. My guess is that Redbox either bought some bootleg BDs, or they have implemented a new encryption on this disc, like they did with the initial Prometheus release.

Almost certainly a new BD+ protection, and not a new master key block (MKB) version on the 2D *retail* disc. (I have the 3D collector's set). It's instructive to look in the changelogs for AnyDVDHD and DVDFab. For both, the next updated versions following the release date mention new BD+ protection, though they don't cite Prometheus by name, as they sometimes do.

Dunno whether the copy protection on the Redbox version is different in any way, but it's quite possible. Clearly, they offer different pressings. On the rare occasions I've rented from them, they have RENTAL embossed on them. And there are reports that the audio codec of the first audio stream is sometimes different on Redbox versions.

That reminds me of an argument over at videohelp. It was about the LOTR movies and forced subs on the theatrical retail Blu-Ray. The OP of the thread stubbornly maintained that his copies had embedded forced subs for Elvish, while everyone else scoffed, saying no, they're hardcoded. Turned out he was right, there *was* a variant out there with forced subs. At least two versions were released in the U.S. And how long ago was that?
post #924 of 997 Old 11-13-2012, 10:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Again, this time with feeling....
We have a large thread going on the CONTENT of Prometheus here:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1155877/alien-prequel-prometheus

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #925 of 997 Old 11-14-2012, 08:35 AM

Liked: 11
I saw the movie the first day with some friends. Really thought it was good. As my friends who have seen it also did. Got the BD and think it is by far one of the best quality BD visual and sound. Excellent in everyway. After watching the movie a few more time it will be a classic IMHO years from now. For those wanting just a horror chase flick it might be to deep for those people.
Djoel likes this.
post #926 of 997 Old 11-15-2012, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 86
It had been a while since I last looked at this thread --- good thing really! Anyway, I posted on the Blu-ray 3D Official Review thread that I love my 3D copy, have had no issues with it, has me convinced I would never want to watch it in 2D, and that, bottom line, I highly recommend it! I also recommended people watch the 3D lossless audio samples of Avatar, Titanic, and I, Robot from the main menu. cool.gif
post #927 of 997 Old 11-15-2012, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

rented from redbox and watched last night.

good, not great transfer. thought the avengers was a much better bd than this. i understand that the bd you can buy probably have better pq than what
redbox offers. i was just glad the copy protection didn't prevent me from watching it. looked a little overly sharpened and washed out in a couple scenes.

neflixis our nemesis
post #928 of 997 Old 11-15-2012, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25

Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

rented from redbox and watched last night.
good, not great transfer. thought the avengers was a much better bd than this. i understand that the bd you can buy probably have better pq than what
redbox offers. i was just glad the copy protection didn't prevent me from watching it. looked a little overly sharpened and washed out in a couple scenes.

There's been some posts indicating Redbox is renting out unofficial copies.

post #929 of 997 Old 11-15-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamian View Post

There's been some posts indicating Redbox is renting out unofficial copies.
Those posts are not based in reality, though, which is why they're never accompanied by any sort of evidence.

There's zero chance Redbox is renting "unofficial copies." Anyone who claims otherwise clearly has no idea what they're talking about (and will be unable to provide any sort of evidence to back up their baseless nonsense.)
post #930 of 997 Old 11-15-2012, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 49
It does make you wonder why there's a noticeable difference in quality, though. The first question I'd ask is whether they're actually Blu-ray discs, or if they're just DVDs. That's happened before. Second, I'd wonder if they made some kind of on-the-cheap version of the disc strictly for rental.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
Closed Thread Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page