The Curse Of Frankenstein Blu-ray 10/15/12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 07-17-2012, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Normally I'd put this in the Hammer Films thread, but this particular movie and what appears to be a pretty landmark Blu-ray release of it seems worthy of it's own thread. Interesting they are going with two complete transfers of the different aspect ratios on one disc including its original Academy ratio of 1.37:1 *and* including the feature film "The Four Sided Triangle" (which is apparently standard def - probably the older dvd transfer) along with the extras. The restored print includes the infamous "eyeball" scene, which was originally banned but has now been fully restored. Unfortunately, they couldn't find the brief clip of the (obviously fake) head being dunked into the acid bath.

The only down side (other than perhaps cramming a lot of programming on this disc) is this is a region B locked release.

Single 50GB Blu-ray Disc

HD Main Feature - Never before released "Academy" ratio 1.37:1 - 83 mins - DTS Master Audio 2.0
HD The Curse of Frankenstein (1.66:1 version) - alternate aspect ratio - 83 mins - DTS Master Audio 2.0
New audio commentary with Marcus Hearn & Jonathan Rigby
Frankenstein Reborn: The Making of a Hammer Classic (new & exclusive)
Life With Sir (new & exclusive Peter Cushing documentary)
Four Sided Triangle (bonus feature film) 80 mins
Tales of Frankenstein (bonus TV pilot) 25 mins
The Tale of Tales of Frankenstein (new & exclusive Ted Newsom documentary)
World Of Hammer: The Curse of Frankenstein 25 mins
Stills show
English HOH subtitles for Main Feature

The included 2 DVDs will include all the above features in standard definition as well as a PDF Original shooting script and PDF all-new booklet "The Creator's Spark: Hammer's Frankenstein Begins" with text by Hammer archivist Robert J. E. Simpson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-18-2012, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This looks like a great release. Prince of Darkness AV issues aside, I think Hammer has been very deligent in their efforts to release quality products. I certainly appreciate their forthcomingness and willingness to listen to consumer feedback (e.g. PoD DNR during the title sequence and including both 1.33 and 1.66 AR on The Curse of Frankenstein)
Quote:
The only down side (other than perhaps cramming a lot of programming on this disc) is this is a region B locked release.

I don't see how any self-respecting Hammer fan can be anything other than region free these days, so I've got no sympathy for those that aren't.
post #3 of 14 Old 07-18-2012, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 35
The Curse of Frankenstein has had problematic color for the last forty years or more. It would be interesting to see if this could match the Technicolor later films such as Horror of Dracula and Revenge of Frankenstein.

CW Hinkle
post #4 of 14 Old 07-18-2012, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

The Curse of Frankenstein has had problematic color for the last forty years or more. It would be interesting to see if this could match the Technicolor later films such as Horror of Dracula and Revenge of Frankenstein.

post #5 of 14 Old 07-18-2012, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Arnette View Post

This looks like a great release. .

I assume you mean 'reads like a great release'?
post #6 of 14 Old 07-19-2012, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Yes, I should have typed "This sounds like a great release".
post #7 of 14 Old 07-19-2012, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 35
The screenshot looks pretty good, but it's still a bit on the magenta side.

If I could get it cheap I probably would spring for it; it's one of the very top Hammers.

CW Hinkle
post #8 of 14 Old 07-19-2012, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Hammer actually changed it's mind and added a 1.66 version? They wrote something was wrong with 1.66 but I could not figure what. Maybe they meant framing was wrong for 1.66 or there was some print issues?
post #9 of 14 Old 07-19-2012, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm happy they are including the theatrical widescreen version. It will be interesting to see if Warner ever releases it here in the states and, if they do, would they also include the open-matte version with the theatrical version.

post #10 of 14 Old 07-20-2012, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post

Hammer actually changed it's mind and added a 1.66 version? They wrote something was wrong with 1.66 but I could not figure what. Maybe they meant framing was wrong for 1.66 or there was some print issues?

There is nothing wrong with 1:66 (or 1:85 for that matter). They people preparing this for BD don't know what they are talking about. 1:37 is not the proper aspect ratio yet they keep saying it is.
post #11 of 14 Old 07-20-2012, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strevlac View Post

There is nothing wrong with 1:66 (or 1:85 for that matter). They people preparing this for BD don't know what they are talking about. 1:37 is not the proper aspect ratio yet they keep saying it is.

The ‘people’ is the Hammer site:
http://blog.hammerfilms.com/?p=135

“It is crystal clear, upon viewing, that the film was intended to be screened at 1.37:1”

Anyway to answer my own question, I suspect the 1:66 maybe cropped going by the site’s comments:

“Yes, the plan is to release the film Academy on Blu-ray and DVD. Unless hordes of fans demand less picture in their frame!”
No mention, that I could find, on the blog about adding 1:66 version, which is odd.
post #12 of 14 Old 07-20-2012, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post

The ‘people’ is the Hammer site:
http://blog.hammerfilms.com/?p=135
“It is crystal clear, upon viewing, that the film was intended to be screened at 1.37:1”
Anyway to answer my own question, I suspect the 1:66 maybe cropped going by the site’s comments:
“Yes, the plan is to release the film Academy on Blu-ray and DVD. Unless hordes of fans demand less picture in their frame!”
No mention, that I could find, on the blog about adding 1:66 version, which is odd.

They are wrong. The film was produced in 1957 which is well after matted widescreen compositions became standard. And regarding your comment about a 1:66 version being cropped....well duh. The movie was photographed with spherical lenses with the full negative area exposed, just like thousands upon thousands of other films.
post #13 of 14 Old 07-21-2012, 11:05 AM

Liked: 22
Quote:

They are wrong. The film was produced in 1957 which is well after matted widescreen compositions became standard. And regarding your comment about a 1:66 version being cropped....well duh. The movie was photographed with spherical lenses with the full negative area exposed, just like thousands upon thousands of other films.

You will not win this argument with the particular gentleman to whom you are responding. The "people" running the Hammer site weren't even born when this film came out - what do they know? What we know is that there are trade journals where the film was reviewed that state 1.85 as the aspect ratio. Certainly it was shown in that ratio everywhere in the United States. As you correctly state, just because the full negative is exposed, as virtually 99% of all non-anamorphic films are, does not mean it was framed that way. The experts in this, Bob Fumanek and Jack Theakston have provided the proof. 1.78 would have been the way to go.
post #14 of 14 Old 07-21-2012, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's Hammer's explanation, not mine, but thanks for telling me 'like thousands upon thousands of other films'. Next up is telling me water is wet I guess.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page