Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50

Quote:
Blu-ray / Steelbook

Special Features:
A New Legend is Born
Citizens of the Kingdom - Fairest of Them All: Snow White; Deliciously Evil: Queen Ravenna; The Huntsman; Motley Crew: The Dwarves
360 Degree Set Views
Reinventing the Fairytale
The Magic of 'Snow White and the Huntsman'
Blu-ray / UV / DC SteelBook

SteelBook Collector's Box Set

Special Features:
A New Legend is Born
Citizens of the Kingdom - Fairest of Them All: Snow White; Deliciously Evil: Queen Ravenna; The Huntsman; Motley Crew: The Dwarves
360 Degree Set Views
Reinventing the Fairytale

Extra Content:
A specially created 72 page book including illustrations and articles written by the director, describing his artistic vision for this film
4 lithograph reproductions of original illustrations
4 exclusive film stills
Film poster

October 8th
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 Old 07-21-2012, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 283
I didn't see it but I'm gonna go for a blind buy. My daughter loved it and personnally I like the cast involved (yes all of them wink.gif) Hopefully the steelbook will be available in Canada as well, I'm guessing FutureShop... smile.gif
post #3 of 68 Old 07-21-2012, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 108
I went to the theater with low expectations (especially after the awful Mirror, Mirror) and found it was quite entertaining. Knowing little more than who starred in the movie I found the story had a few surprises. In spite of the criticism often directed at Kristen Stewart I thought she did a serviceable job and Charlize Theron ate up the scenery. I plan to pick it up on Blu-ray.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #4 of 68 Old 07-21-2012, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Watchable and enjoyable despite the mostly "adequate" acting, Snow White and the Huntsman seems bent on delivering a series of visual tour de force "set pieces" . . . which focus hampers pacing, limits time for useful narrative beyond the "traditional" Snow White plot line, and provides no substance for the "minimalist evolving relationship" between the titular characters. With the promise of a sequel, "Snow White and the Huntsman 2", at least for now I think I'll skip buying this Snow White and the Huntsman BD in the hope that some future "director's cut" of both finished movies might serve to make somewhat better sense of the overall storyline! cool.gif
_

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #5 of 68 Old 07-21-2012, 09:00 AM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

I went to the theater with low expectations (especially after the awful Mirror, Mirror) and found it was quite entertaining. Knowing little more than who starred in the movie I found the story had a few surprises. In spite of the criticism often directed at Kristen Stewart I thought she did a serviceable job and Charlize Theron ate up the scenery. I plan to pick it up on Blu-ray.

I agree the with Theron; but Stewart was given little more than 4 pages of dialogue it seemed, and most of the movie was just her running around. I've also found her distracting, she's always slackjawed showing off her teeth with the same glazed expression. I'd almost say she's stoned during her rolls, if I didn't know better. The visuals and vistas were nice, but I just couldn't get into the melodramatic acting and loosely cut story. Cool it's getting steelbook though!
post #6 of 68 Old 07-21-2012, 11:50 AM

Liked: 13
I can usually suspend my disbelief for anything - but a film where someone who looks like Charlize Theron being jealous of Kristen Stewart's looks? Hohoho.
post #7 of 68 Old 07-21-2012, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

In spite of the criticism often directed at Kristen Stewart...
That didn't take long. biggrin.gif

In my initial post I meant to say Charlize Theron chewed up the scenery - not ate up the scenery. smile.gif

Snow White and the Huntsman 2? Really? I guess I shouldn't be surprised given the Star Wars ending in the Great Hall. All it was missing was the lock-step turn to the right with boot stomp.

I felt the film downplayed the beauty part (so it really wasn't Theron versus Stewart's looks) and emphasized the queen's desire for immortality and Snow White's youth and life force.

I'm not a big Stewart fan so I don't have a dog in the fight but she continues to choose her roles wisely and continues to rake in the bucks. Like it or not.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #8 of 68 Old 07-21-2012, 03:09 PM

Liked: 832
Anyone else feel they stole the initial "phantom battle" straight out of Ridley Scotts cinematography playbook?
post #9 of 68 Old 07-23-2012, 02:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

I didn't see it but I'm gonna go for a blind buy. My daughter loved it and personnally I like the cast involved (yes all of them wink.gif) Hopefully the steelbook will be available in Canada as well, I'm guessing FutureShop... smile.gif

Like you i will be blind buying it also, i was told its really good, i don't mind the cast also.

Frank

post #10 of 68 Old 09-19-2012, 04:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordAwesome View Post

I can usually suspend my disbelief for anything - but a film where someone who looks like Charlize Theron being jealous of Kristen Stewart's looks? Hohoho.

The movie points out that it has nothing to do with Snow White's looks but rather the purity of her heart. Ravenna is externally beautiful whereas Snow White posseses inner beauty.
post #11 of 68 Old 09-19-2012, 07:53 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post

The movie points out that it has nothing to do with Snow White's looks but rather the purity of her heart. Ravenna is externally beautiful whereas Snow White posseses inner beauty.

Were that the case, though, wouldn't it make sense that most -- if not all -- the other women in the land would have had more inner beauty than a villainous witch who imprisons, tortures and murders people?

It was horrible miscasting.
post #12 of 68 Old 09-19-2012, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by applesandrice View Post

Were that the case, though, wouldn't it make sense that most -- if not all -- the other women in the land would have had more inner beauty than a villainous witch who imprisons, tortures and murders people?

Yeah but who is prettier than Charlize Theron anyway? wink.gif
post #13 of 68 Old 09-19-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:

Good point -- the filmmakers definitely backed themselves into a corner when they cast her as the Queen! smile.gif
post #14 of 68 Old 09-19-2012, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 295
Quote:

She did ok in the role... but Femke Janssen could have rocked that as well. I've never seen a Twilight movie but between the trailers and seeing this I can say with confidence that Kristen Stewart annoys the crap out of me!

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #15 of 68 Old 09-19-2012, 10:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
I thought this was a fine movie...good writing, good acting.

The AV is excellent.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #16 of 68 Old 09-19-2012, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Not quite as simple. Go back to the scene where Snow White brings the injured bird to her mother. Her mother says that Snow White's true beauty comes from her heart. It's because of her loving nature that she was so revered in the kingdom at such a young age and the reason William carried a torch for her all the way towards adulthood. That's also the reason the bridge troll left her in peace and why the creatures of Sanctuary all revered her. Trying to cast a woman more outwardly attractive than Charlize Theron would have gone against the point. Lookswise, Stewart was not miscast.
post #17 of 68 Old 09-19-2012, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I loved it and the stellar cinematography looks amazing on this Blu-ray. Dare I say the only thing that bothered me wasn't Kristen Stewart (I think she did fine) but Chris Hemsworth's accent! eek.gifwink.gif Theron was very good but not oscarworthy despite some reviews I've read. It's really a delight to watch, a wide color palette perfectly detailed, Universal may be lazy on some catalog titles but here they've done a perfect job imho. As for Kristen, what can I say, ever since I saw her in Panic Room and a little horror flick called The Messengers, I've liked her. I don't care for Twilight but I will look forward to her next projects. There. I said it. wink.gif (I only watched the extended cut by the way, I don't know what's been changed compared to the theatrical version).
post #18 of 68 Old 09-19-2012, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 295
Quote:

I loved it and the stellar cinematography looks amazing on this Blu-ray. Dare I say the only thing that bothered me wasn't Kristen Stewart (I think she did fine) but Chris Hemsworth's accent! eek.gifwink.gif Theron was very good but not oscarworthy despite some reviews I've read. It's really a delight to watch, a wide color palette perfectly detailed, Universal may be lazy on some catalog titles but here they've done a perfect job imho. As for Kristen, what can I say, ever since I saw her in Panic Room and a little horror flick called The Messengers, I've liked her. I don't care for Twilight but I will look forward to her next projects. There. I said it. wink.gif (I only watched the extended cut by the way, I don't know what's been changed compared to the theatrical version).
Good grief that was terrible... he's got a big damn axe just let him talk like Thor, it would have worked better!

She looks like that kid who's front teeth came in but is still waiting for the other adult teeth to balance things out. Did I mention she annoys me? tongue.gif

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #19 of 68 Old 09-19-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:

Not quite as simple. Go back to the scene where Snow White brings the injured bird to her mother. Her mother says that Snow White's true beauty comes from her heart. It's because of her loving nature that she was so revered in the kingdom at such a young age and the reason William carried a torch for her all the way towards adulthood. That's also the reason the bridge troll left her in peace and why the creatures of Sanctuary all revered her. Trying to cast a woman more outwardly attractive than Charlize Theron would have gone against the point. Lookswise, Stewart was not miscast.

Yeah, I understood that as it was presented in the film, but if it was all about "inner beauty", every woman in the land who WASN'T a murdering, torturing witch would have been "fairer" than the Queen. Right? When the magic mirror pronounces her "fairest", but that Snow White would eventually surpass her, was it because of the Queen's "inner" beauty?
post #20 of 68 Old 09-19-2012, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yeah, I understood that as it was presented in the film, but if it was all about "inner beauty", every woman in the land who WASN'T a murdering, torturing witch would have been "fairer" than the Queen. Right? When the magic mirror pronounces her "fairest", but that Snow White would eventually surpass her, was it because of the Queen's "inner" beauty?

I get what you're saying. That's the part that was sadly muddled in the script. Apparently Snow White was very special. Why? Beyond what her mother said and some stuff mentioned by Bob Hoskins about how theyir aching joints no longer hurt, who knows? Although they do try to halfheartedly explain it via the flashback to the Queen's origin. However, they screw that up as well since it's ignored as quickly as it's brought up. But the basic gist they tried to sell was that Snow White's heart was so pure it surpased the supreme external beauty of Ravenna and that of any person or being throughout the land (including any goodness they might possess that she would amplify in them just by her mere presence).

In any case, casting was not the problem. A script in need of major revision was at fault. I point that out because I want to be clear how I'm not ignorant of the faults of this film. I may not have hated it but I was indeed let down nonetheless.
post #21 of 68 Old 09-19-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:

I get what you're saying. That's the part that was sadly muddled in the script. Apparently Snow White was very special. Why? Beyond what her mother said and some stuff mentioned by Bob Hoskins about how theyir aching joints no longer hurt, who knows? Although they do try to halfheartedly explain it via the flashback to the Queen's origin. However, they screw that up as well since it's ignored as quickly as it's brought up. But the basic gist they tried to sell was that Snow White's heart was so pure it surpased the supreme external beauty of Ravenna and that of any person or being throughout the land (including any goodness they might possess that she would amplify in them just by her mere presence).
In any case, casting was not the problem. A script in need of major revision was at fault. I point that out because I want to be clear how I'm not ignorant of the faults of this film. I may not have hated it but I was indeed let down nonetheless.

Gotcha. That makes sense, and the film would've been better had they cleared that up. As it was, I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the movie, but frustrated by the script.
post #22 of 68 Old 09-20-2012, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Snow white may have been pure initially, but that deteriorated for me during the escape and then completely vanished when the movie took a turn towards Joan Of Arc near the end: hacking and hewing didn't seem to me like purity.

I found it moderately entertaining, visually sumptuous, but somewhat confused. They would have been better to call it something else and only have minor similarities with the Snow White story purely by chance: I think it might have been more believable.
post #23 of 68 Old 09-20-2012, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:

Chris Hemsworth's accent! eek.gifwink.gif
Gerard Butler with a cold, I thought.
post #24 of 68 Old 09-20-2012, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

I'm not a fan of steelbooks, though the one pictured in this thread is beautiful, but I wish there was a US release that included that 72 page book. I really want that.

Are UK BD's region locked?
Quote:

As it was, I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the movie, but frustrated by the script.

Me too. Despite my misgivings with the script (and Theron's uncharacteristic overacting - particularly the rant towards her brother and her final rant towards Snow White), I enjoyed the film enough to watch it twice when I rented it and know I'll buy the BD eventually. I just wish it had been better because it had the potential to be great. Hopefully the sequel will feature a far more polished script and better pacing.
post #25 of 68 Old 09-20-2012, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

The UK release will be region free.

However, I have a feeling that extras will stripped from it to accomodate other languages, ala Battleship.

Personally, I've gone for the Target Exclusive with book and K-Stew cover.

My opinion of the movie, was that I enjoyed it overall, despite a laboured first hour.

I also thought that Stewart was fine as Snow White. She was supposed to be awkward.

That said, her ride into battle is hilarious, bouncing around horseback.
post #26 of 68 Old 09-20-2012, 08:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul_duke View Post

That said, her ride into battle is hilarious, bouncing around horseback.
Being locked up in a dungeon nearly her life, she couldn't have had a lot of equestrian skills....wink.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #27 of 68 Old 09-20-2012, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul_duke View Post

Gerard Butler with a cold, I thought.

hehe... Voiceovers were the most distracting at times. I heard him in interviews his accent was less....erm..."accented" wink.gif
post #28 of 68 Old 09-20-2012, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Being locked up in a dungeon nearly her life, she couldn't have had a lot of equestrian skills....wink.gif
Which also factors into her awkwardness working. tongue.gifwink.gif
post #29 of 68 Old 09-20-2012, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

That also explains her awkward rally speech before they went to battle against Ravenna. wink.gif
post #30 of 68 Old 09-20-2012, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I saw this with my wife thinking it would be unique and interesting. In my opinion the movie was awful. Bad/over acting by all, silly story, they quickly skipped over the interesting parts in the forest, and it temporarily broke up Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson tongue.gif. There's something wrong when the fairest of them all is fornicating with the director...for shame
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page