Friedkin DISOWNS "French Connection" BR 1.0 !!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 45 Old 07-26-2012, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.avclub.com/articles/william-friedkin-talks-killer-joe-and-shares-some,83023/

AVC: So what was your reaction to the criticisms of the French Connection Blu-ray? You personally re-timed the colors for Blu-ray, and some people felt you’d defaced a masterpiece.

WF: Oh, The French Connection Blu-ray, the master that we made was absolutely perfect. Then when Fox took it out to reproduce it, mass production, it goes through four different companies. It got screwed up badly, and I didn’t know that. I had only seen the master; I never saw any of the playback copies. And Owen Roizman, the cameraman, got a copy at Best Buy and said it looked like ****! He denounced it. I said, “What are you talking about?” He brought his copy in, and we ran it next to the master, and he was right. The prints were badly made. So we remade them, he and I supervised a new version of the Blu-ray, which went into a Best Buy exclusive, for I think six months, and then it’ll go broad—it’ll replace the other one. What I learned was that Fox, when they put that DVD out, there was a little warning inside the box that said, “This may not play well on your home receiver. If it doesn’t, write to w-w-w dot so-and-so, so-and-so. We’ll send you a disc that will make your own playback receiver compatible.” This was like a caveat emptor. And Roizman was right. The copies were all over the place. That’s not a perfect process, either. We made new ones that should be great, because we had a different company do the mass release. They’re at Best Buy, and when their exclusive expires, they’ll be everywhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 07-26-2012, 11:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
This is exactly why filmmakers should always, ALWAYS proof the finished BD (and, yes, I have been saying this for years)....rolleyes.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #3 of 45 Old 07-26-2012, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

I'm baffled because what's in the finished product is exactly what he demonstrates doing in the featurette......
post #4 of 45 Old 07-27-2012, 12:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NagysAudio View Post

Friedkin is a complete liar and a fool!

Right! He's backpedaling. This wasn't the tune he was singing when that first Blu ray came out. He was proud that his remastered version looked more like an edgy documentary. He claimed he always wanted his film to look like that. "His vision" looked like crap and enough people called him on it.
post #5 of 45 Old 07-27-2012, 12:14 AM

Must be a slow news day. I figured this controversy was behind us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsguy View Post

I'm baffled because what's in the finished product is exactly what he demonstrates doing in the featurette......

...And? What does it matter how or why he changed his mind? We now have a beautiful looking blu-ray of the film. Regardless of how he got there, Friedkin now seems to feel the same way. Everyone wins.

I guess I just don't see the point of bringing back this argument after the fact.
post #6 of 45 Old 07-27-2012, 12:23 AM

Except we went through this months ago when the new BD came out. He said the same thing in previous interviews promoting the new BD. So he's a hypocrite. Who cares? This is what's wrong with AVS' attitude that people mock. Even when you have a great Blu-ray, something must be tore down and ridiculed. Again, I just don't see the point of repeating what's already been said countless times. It's a thread promoting both sides being an a-hole. Nice...
post #7 of 45 Old 07-27-2012, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Plus, people put out good money to buy a piece of junk AND the work of his cinematographer was tarnished. I didn't see Friedkin coming out immediately and disowning the first Blu ray and insisting that the product be recalled and that the corrected version be given to all those who bought "defective" copies.

I believe that "Gladiator" had some problems when it was released and Ridley Scott raised hell about it. Friedkin, on the other hand, did nothing and if you didn't pick up the news about the Best Buy exclusive you were out of luck. (You were still out of luck since Fox wasn't replacing those who bought the original Blu rays with the corrected version.)

I agree that everyone who bought the first pressing should be able to turn it in for the newest pressing free of charge.

In addition, in several cases of Fox movies (the DVD of Cleopatra and the Blu ray of West Side Story) Fox had an exchange program when the discs went out with flaws so it's not like Fox doesn't correct problem discs. Friedkin was happy with the first Blu ray and proclaimed it to be good, so Fox wasn't going to rock his boat.
post #8 of 45 Old 07-27-2012, 12:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

OK, fair enough....maybe WF should have said something sooner....
With that in mind, where are we with FOTR????wink.gif

post #9 of 45 Old 07-27-2012, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
He righted his error, he did the right thing. That's all that matters.

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
post #10 of 45 Old 07-27-2012, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 222
What a crock. The original version of TFC on Blu-ray was every bit as ****ed up as Friedkin wanted it to be. Yet when people questioned his madness, including the fella who shot the movie, hey, let's blame it on someone else!

I'm ECSTATIC that we got a new version, BTW. But Friedkin lying out of his arse about what happened has sent my estimation of him right back down into the gutter.
post #11 of 45 Old 07-27-2012, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
So when does this stop being a Best Buy exclusive, if ever? I'd like to get it, but $25 is a bit silly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 45 Old 07-27-2012, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Friedkin is at least part salesman (see his promoting on the Exorcist BD supplements) and he's hardly the only director. The director of American Werewolf in London made the same kind of statements about the BD that was little different then the HD-DVD released years before. Not to mention Universal gets other filmmakers to say things that are dubious at best about the BDs.

What's amazing is posters who take what these part salesmen say at face value before seeing the BD or even caps.
post #13 of 45 Old 07-27-2012, 07:10 PM

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsguy View Post

http://www.avclub.com/articles/william-friedkin-talks-killer-joe-and-shares-some,83023/
AVC: So what was your reaction to the criticisms of the French Connection Blu-ray? You personally re-timed the colors for Blu-ray, and some people felt you’d defaced a masterpiece.
WF: Oh, The French Connection Blu-ray, the master that we made was absolutely perfect. Then when Fox took it out to reproduce it, mass production, it goes through four different companies. It got screwed up badly, and I didn’t know that. I had only seen the master; I never saw any of the playback copies. And Owen Roizman, the cameraman, got a copy at Best Buy and said it looked like ****! He denounced it. I said, “What are you talking about?” He brought his copy in, and we ran it next to the master, and he was right. The prints were badly made. So we remade them, he and I supervised a new version of the Blu-ray, which went into a Best Buy exclusive, for I think six months, and then it’ll go broad—it’ll replace the other one. What I learned was that Fox, when they put that DVD out, there was a little warning inside the box that said, “This may not play well on your home receiver. If it doesn’t, write to w-w-w dot so-and-so, so-and-so. We’ll send you a disc that will make your own playback receiver compatible.” This was like a caveat emptor. And Roizman was right. The copies were all over the place. That’s not a perfect process, either. We made new ones that should be great, because we had a different company do the mass release. They’re at Best Buy, and when their exclusive expires, they’ll be everywhere.
7PbLk.gif

So when the director is never wrong argument comes up, I can link here right??
post #14 of 45 Old 07-28-2012, 12:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post

Not to mention Universal gets other filmmakers to say things that are dubious at best about the BDs.
Although people lost jobs and/or prestige at Uni over the death of HD-DVD, the studio's actions tend to reinforce the observation there are some lingering bad feelings.
And to be fair, it isn't surprising.....losing one's friends and colleagues in the workplace always leaves a bad taste in one's mouth.

post #15 of 45 Old 07-28-2012, 09:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Although people lost jobs and/or prestige at Uni over the death of HD-DVD, the studio's actions tend to reinforce the observation there are some lingering bad feelings.
And to be fair, it isn't surprising.....losing one's friends and colleagues in the workplace always leaves a bad taste in one's mouth.

The French Connection is not a Universal disc. It has absolutely nothing to do with Universal or the HD format war. Please let the format war BS go. It's been over for years already.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Curator,

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #16 of 45 Old 07-28-2012, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Oink is still at it. Guess getting his posts deleted was not enough to deter him.
post #17 of 45 Old 07-28-2012, 02:06 PM

Liked: 50
And you are helping how exactly? Why the need for the baseless argumentative comments in every thread of late?
post #18 of 45 Old 07-29-2012, 12:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

The French Connection is not a Universal disc. It has absolutely nothing to do with Universal or the HD format war. Please let the format war BS go. It's been over for years already.
I never said it was a Universal disk, now did I?
Please re-read my post and the post I was referring to in the quote (#15).
You're skimming again.wink.gif

BTW, why are you still touchy, after all these years, about the history of home HD optical disk technology?

Quote:

Oink is still at it. Guess getting his posts deleted was not enough to deter him.
I don't have any idea what you are talking about...for some reason, it appears you're not too fond of me.

But that's OK, I don't scare easily.
If you wish to debate me about any subject related to the topic at hand, please....be my guest.
Otherwise, snide remarks don't carry much weight around here.

post #19 of 45 Old 07-29-2012, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't have any idea what you are talking about...

lol. Sure you dont and probably dont blame me for your same 're-fighting the format war' posts getting deleted.
post #20 of 45 Old 07-29-2012, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 63
That's hilarious. Sounds like he's trying to say the picture from the master magically changed when it was replicated. The guy clearly doesn't have a clue about how optical disc replication works.
Quote:
He brought his copy in, and we ran it next to the master, and he was right. The prints were badly made.
LOL, the "prints". They're discs, William biggrin.gif

David Mackenzie
DVD/BD Compressionist/Author
Reviewer & Tech Consultant, HDTVtest
post #21 of 45 Old 07-29-2012, 09:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
Remember, these directors and DP's are viewing the film on a small little screen that cannot resolve detail visible on a large screen. That is how DNR is so often allowed to ruin transfers.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...

post #22 of 45 Old 07-29-2012, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

OK, fair enough....maybe WF should have said something sooner....
With that in mind, where are we with FOTR????wink.gif

I know this quote may get some people to roll their eyes, but it's actually the first thing I thought about, as well. If only someone could sit Jackson's butt down to see the FOTR disc...
post #23 of 45 Old 07-29-2012, 12:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

lol. Sure you dont and probably dont blame me for your same 're-fighting the format war' posts getting deleted.
Whatever gets you thru the day, pal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzupeman View Post

I know this quote may get some people to roll their eyes, but it's actually the first thing I thought about, as well. If only someone could sit Jackson's butt down to see the FOTR disc...
Maybe someday he will do something.
One thing is certain....he isn't in a hurry.rolleyes.gif

post #24 of 45 Old 07-29-2012, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Nope, especially since he's trying to make a third Hobbit film to further bridge the gap between 'The Hobbit' and 'Lord of the Rings'.
post #25 of 45 Old 07-29-2012, 02:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzupeman View Post

Nope, especially since he's trying to make a third Hobbit film to further bridge the gap between 'The Hobbit' and 'Lord of the Rings'.
Hmmm, thanx for the info.
I guess he could get the $$$ to do it, and ideally, there should be a reasonable flow from The Hobbit to LOTR.

post #26 of 45 Old 07-29-2012, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Friedkin can say whatever he wants. I don't care. The only thing that matters to me is that I now have a great copy of The French Connection.
post #27 of 45 Old 07-30-2012, 11:55 AM

So if he's saying the original is rubbish... When are we gonna see a general re-release rather than just a Best Buy exclusive?
post #28 of 45 Old 07-30-2012, 02:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Over the weekend, I took a closer look at the "Color Timing" featurette on the original Blu-ray, and compared the movie clips in it against the full movie on Disc 1. Some interesting results:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/blog/french-connection-bluray-controversy/

The transfer on Disc 1 appears to have had additional contrast boosting beyond the clips in the featurette. Whites are crushed even worse. So, in that respect, Friedkin may be telling the truth that there was an authoring error at some point after he approved the master.

However, he's still full of it, in that his "pastel" transfer still looks pretty crummy, and the later "corrected" disc doesn't look anything like the clips from his master seen in the featurette.

Josh Z
)
Curator,

post #29 of 45 Old 07-30-2012, 02:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
The new disc looks astoundingly good on my LG plasma. That plasma is dead and going back to LG and I am replacing it with a new 73 inch Mits DLP. The first Blu-Ray I'll stick in is this one, sine I have yet to finish it.

I do wonder if the colors were punched up just a tad, so that it clearly looks different than the other transfer. It's just so vibrant.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...

post #30 of 45 Old 07-31-2012, 10:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The colors on the remastered disc are oversaturated. (The French Connection II Blu-ray has the same problem. They were probably scanned at the same time.) In that Color Timing featurette, Friedkin explicitly said that he didn't want vibrant colors in the movie. He specifically cited orange flesh tones as something he wanted to get rid of. The whole point of his "pastel" nonsense was to give the movie more of a monochromatic look. Clearly, the "corrected" disc doesn't do that. For the new disc, he didn't just fix an authoring error that somebody else made. He backed off his "pastel" scheme entirely.

The remastered disc also has a teal push. There's a teal tinge to most whites, including eyeballs and teeth. It's certainly an improvement over the original Blu-ray, but I don't think it rates better than mediocre.

Josh Z
)
Curator,

Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page