The Dark Knight Rises (release date TBD) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-27-2012, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 69
There is not yet any information on this BD, so you'll have to wait for that. Myself or a moderator can edit the OP/start a new thread when information arrives.

However, this is a chance to drop in for speculation and discussion.

First of all, we can assume that the Blu-ray will drop in the first Tuesday in December, based on the theatrical/BD releases of The Dark Knight and Inception.

Secondly, there will be the hoopla about what Nolan and WB will use as their master for their discs. We were all in an outcry over The Dark Knight's non-IMAX shots with the EE and DNR used, so it does beg one to ask the question if they will do the exact same thing again. After all, Nolan seemed to be very satisfied with the look of TDK on Blu-ray.

Alongside that, there's also the question about whether there will be two separate releases. We know that Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen had a general 2.35:1 and a Wal-Mart exclusive release with the IMAX print (and a different audio codec, I believe), and that Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol didn't seem to have any release with the IMAX footage in place. Perhaps WB will pull something where they have both versions on the same disc, like they did with The Town? It would certainly make for a lower bitrate, given such a long film. Maybe they'll have an IMAX exclusive, or two different discs in the case (not likely). I just hope we're not stuck with the same thing we were stuck with regarding TDK.

Of course, there will also be talks about a possible extended/director's cut, especially since the novelization for this film includes many moments which were probably filmed, but edited out. I know Nolan's not a fan of releasing these, mostly because his theatrical cut normally is his "director's cut." However, I think this film was meant to be more than three hours. Any chance we will see this?

Finally, Bane's voice. There are a few things to ponder over. First of all, Bane has gone through several changes in his voice since the original prologue shown in theaters. Personally, I much prefer that voice, even though crowds had trouble understanding it. Any chance that, given the different cuts/prints we may or may not get when it comes out, that we will hear Bane's voice in any different way that the theaters have it? One thing for sure... he was almost impossible to hear when I saw the film in IMAX, and he sounded very understandable in the regular theater. I personally hope they work on mixing it more, particularly with what my second problem is... the "Phone Booth effect," where his voice kind of covers all 5.1 channels when he speaks. I hope most of it is mixed to the center channel only when it comes out on Blu.

Anything else we can cover here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-28-2012, 02:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Way to premature with no details this needs locking, mostly for the mediocre movie
post #3 of 8 Old 07-28-2012, 03:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Way to premature with no details this needs locking, mostly for the mediocre movie

We can say the same with some of your threads too. smile.gif

i.e. "As I said earlier, I made this thread way too early"
post #4 of 8 Old 07-28-2012, 03:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmcfluffin View Post

Of course, there will also be talks about a possible extended/director's cut, especially since the novelization for this film includes many moments which were probably filmed, but edited out. I know Nolan's not a fan of releasing these, mostly because his theatrical cut normally is his "director's cut." However, I think this film was meant to be more than three hours. Any chance we will see this?
Finally, Bane's voice. There are a few things to ponder over. First of all, Bane has gone through several changes in his voice since the original prologue shown in theaters. Personally, I much prefer that voice, even though crowds had trouble understanding it. Any chance that, given the different cuts/prints we may or may not get when it comes out, that we will hear Bane's voice in any different way that the theaters have it? One thing for sure... he was almost impossible to hear when I saw the film in IMAX, and he sounded very understandable in the regular theater. I personally hope they work on mixing it more, particularly with what my second problem is... the "Phone Booth effect," where his voice kind of covers all 5.1 channels when he speaks. I hope most of it is mixed to the center channel only when it comes out on Blu. Anything else we can cover here?

I am hoping that Bane's voice sounds clearer on my HT.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-28-2012, 03:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD View Post

We can say the same with some of your threads too. smile.gif
i.e. "As I said earlier, I made this thread way too early"

but I had details of the release in that thread, this has not been announced for home video yet and in my case it was so yeah, you know how to quote.

Also the mix was ruined by people who could not understand Bane, as he was way to high in the mix and everyone else was way too quiet, worst big budget mix I have heard in years.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-28-2012, 04:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Dec 7 looks like the date for blu-ray.

Is there a remix with blu-ray or same mix?
post #7 of 8 Old 07-28-2012, 06:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 60
We'll need to wait till information from the studio is available to start a thread on the title.

Thanks
Ron

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #8 of 8 Old 07-28-2012, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Here's the movie discussion. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1286104/the-dark-knight-rises/0_50

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
Closed Thread Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page