There's No Business Like Show Business - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-31-2012, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter
Hef

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I got this blu-ray today (via Amazon mail, I'm a Prime customer) and thought I'd give a quick review. I've never reviewed a film before. FYI, I have a 2 yr old 50in Pioneer plasma.

Well I see plenty of grain in the film, maybe too much grain. It gave me the impression that the master they used was kind of 2nd rate, but not horrible. So there didn't seem to be any DNR, I think there was probably some edge enhancement, but nothing I thought was really distracting. There was slight micro fluctuations in brightness in some areas in some scenes (not sure how else to put it). The colors were nicely saturated, coming from a 2nd rate master, but when they actually get around to doing a restoration, I'm guessing the colors will be more pristine, more accurate. Everyone looked like they had a tan. Depth was just ok. It was a tad on the soft side. The sound track fidelity was ok, nothing impressive. At 8 ft away, the things I picked out were not as noticeable. The only extras was some movie trailers. I did find the movie experience enjoyable, given all it flaws. This had more do with the stellar cast and Irving Berlin songs. This would have been a more fair price for the amount of effort they put into it at $10 instead of $19.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-31-2012, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I'm actually giving this a much higher rating than I give other Fox catalogue titles of late.

I've been really disappointed by recent Fox titles on Blu-ray. JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH and THOSE MAGNIFICENT MEN IN THEIR FLYING MACHINES both had noticeable edge enhancement (it was terrible in JOURNEY). I was absolutely expecting it in THERE'S NO BUSINESS LIKE SHOW BUSINESS. I was honestly shocked that I couldn't see EE here. I haven't seen a Fox catalogue titled this untampered with in quite a while.

I thought the grain was right for this movie. This isn't 3 stripTechnicolor and it isn't large format. It looked correct to me.

There were sections with some strobing color but I feel it's within acceptable limits. By comparison, the recent BD of THOSE MAGNIFICENT MEN IN THEIR FLYING MACHINES had more distracting strobing than this title....but, again, it wasn't constant, just limited to a few scenes.

For 1954 CinemaScope, I think this is really a first class effort (which is more than I've said for other Fox titles in the last few months).
post #3 of 4 Old 08-02-2012, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Looks like 'There's No Business Like Show Business' might be the best pq of the Marlyn collection:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Theres-No-Business-Like-Show-Business-Blu-ray/46691/#Review

Gentlemen Perfer Blondes looks cartoonish in the caps:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Gentlemen-Prefer-Blondes-Blu-ray/46690/#Review

Guess they were done years apart.
post #4 of 4 Old 08-17-2012, 03:55 AM

Liked: 11
We just picked up TNBLSB at Walmart, really a good Musical, enjoyed it. Noticed the sound was well placed mainly between the L C R without a lot of
brightness, panning was really nice.

The film grain was apparent as it should be, saw no edge enhancement. All in all loved it. Amazing what can be purchased and enjoyed for that price.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page