Batman OOP? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 08-03-2012, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
How, with The Dark Knight Rises bein out now, can Warner's not have the Burton Batman movies available on Blu? I missed them and now can't find them anywhere!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-03-2012, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Zero percent chance it'll stay "out-of-print." I use the term loosely too, because it's so obviously a transparent marketing ploy and not a true out-of-print deal like when a company loses license rights, runs through the promised stock of a limited edition, or drops an obscure title indefinitely from its lineup due to dismal sales and general disinterest. Or if you're Paramount... who occasionally forgets they still own the rights to certain titles before falling asleep under the desk only to wake up several months later covered in old newspapers and stuff.

They're just exhausting all existing stock so when DKR is ready for release on Blu they can capitalize on its popularity and release an overpriced "complete" box set. They did the exact same thing with the Harry Potter films (but not before sending out a trillion PR releases to all the niche outlets saying "Watch out guys, we're pulling all Harry Potter BD's from the shelves! Buy them now, buy them now! Also suck our balls thx.") I remember when the Blade Runner BD set went "OOP" a few months back and fools started to pay outrageous prices for it. It was a fantastic way to drum up artificial demand for it and lo and behold - they're releasing it in a brand new box (hooray!) in a couple months and people who "missed them" the first time around are now champing at the bit.

By the way, you can still buy the Batman Anthology for 50 bucks from the WBShop.

Anyone paying the exorbitant 3rd Party Amazon prices is an absolute ass, even the WBShop option I linked is a little too pricey in my opinion... but that's standard MSRP for this release so I guess it's not technically a rip-off. It'll certainly come back into circulation soon, and definitely by the time DKR hits BD (most likely in complete box-set form, like I said.) I also have no idea why jackasses are buying these up for around 100 bucks (or more) on eBay. If I were a scum bag I'd buy 10 of them from the WBShop and pitch them on eBay for a 400-500 profit. Some people have more dollars than sense.

When the new Superman movie comes out a year from now expect the current Blu Ray releases to go *poof* and suddenly be worth their weight in gold on places like Amazon.... only to get re-released in a shiny new box (causing the original releases' values to fall like a stone) when the new movie readies for its BD release. That's called the Warner reach-around.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-03-2012, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney Jackson View Post

How, with The Dark Knight Rises bein out now, can Warner's not have the Burton Batman movies available on Blu? I missed them and now can't find them anywhere!

They haven't really been around for some time. Warner decided not to use them to promote TDKR from what I've seen. Even Best Buy wasn't displaying them in their Batman promotional setup.
post #4 of 11 Old 08-03-2012, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:

When the set of Batman came out on Blu it was not that inexpensive even on Amazon. The 50.00 price now at the WB shop is actually reasonable. A lot of what we pay for certain titles is related to how many are made. It is a problem with many catalog titles. And then there are those who don't like all the movies in set so they won't buy it, which cuts demand and so raises prices.
if you can swing it I would get the set from the WB shop while you can.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #5 of 11 Old 08-04-2012, 04:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post

When the set of Batman came out on Blu it was not that inexpensive even on Amazon. The 50.00 price now at the WB shop is actually reasonable. A lot of what we pay for certain titles is related to how many are made. It is a problem with many catalog titles. And then there are those who don't like all the movies in set so they won't buy it, which cuts demand and so raises prices.
if you can swing it I would get the set from the WB shop while you can.
That's the thing, I have no desire to own the 3rd and 4th films. I only want the Burton/Keaton ones. Hell, I still have them on Laserdisc, but they look awful!
post #6 of 11 Old 08-04-2012, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:

That's the thing, I have no desire to own the 3rd and 4th films. I only want the Burton/Keaton ones. Hell, I still have them on Laserdisc, but they look awful!

I thought the individual titles could be bought. I'm pretty sure a digibook version of Burton's Batman exists and is in stock at my Newbury comics.

You may have to go to Amazon.uk for batman returns though I think it's cheap.

(I ought to go look it up for ya but I can't be bothered.)
post #7 of 11 Old 08-04-2012, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

there is a boxset of the tim burton collection that includes both batman & batman returns.its a amazon exclusive. came out this past may.

http://www.amazon.com/Burton-Collection-Amazon-com-Exclusive-Blu-ray/dp/B007GE98WO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344081795&sr=8-1&keywords=tim+burton+collection

Jacob
post #8 of 11 Old 08-04-2012, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I went and looked this stuff up anyways.... Amazon UK has batman returns if you're hardcore about avoiding the last two movies at all costs.

They also have the anthology ... maybe cheaper than buying in the US directly.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Batman-Picture-Anthology-Returns-Forever/dp/B002L7O7YK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344082017&sr=8-1
post #9 of 11 Old 08-07-2012, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I recently noticed they were OOP as well. Dumb, IMO.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-07-2012, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Guess we'll just have to wait. I don't want either of those collections. Just the first 2 Batman movies!
post #11 of 11 Old 08-08-2012, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Never knew they went OOP like that. I am sure WB has some huge box-set in the works that will include all 7 of the releases together and then branch off and re-release them separately when TDKR is released.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page