1492: Conquest of Paradise German Blu Ray (1080p, English 5.1, Codefree) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 62 Old 08-12-2012, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Folks

Since August 9th the German Blu Ray of Ridley Scotts 1492 is available.

The Only Blu Ray so far was the French Blu Ray from 2010. But this Disc was 1080i 25fps and therefore not everybody in the US could play it.
German Disc uses the same French Master but is in 1080p and correct 23,976 and with better compression:
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/139963/

Look especially at Screenshots 2 (left side of the Picture), Screenshot 3 (Background on the whole left side of the image. French has Artifacts that are gone on the German Disc) or Screenshot 8.

I did this comparison and if someone have doubts because of the JPG Compression i can assure you that the uncompressed PNGs looks the same. I always check this before i upload a comparison.

The disc is like i wrote in correct 1080p 23,976 fps. The French BD was 1080i 25fps.
And it has real English 5.1 Sound. The French has only 2.0

BDInfo Scan of the German Disc:
Code:

DISC INFO:

Disc Title:     1492 DIE EROBERUNG DES PARADIE
Disc Size:      41'272'662'966 bytes
Protection:     AACS
BD-Java:        No
BDInfo:         0.5.4

PLAYLIST REPORT:

Name:                   00000.MPLS
Length:                 2:35:51 (h:m:s)
Size:                   39'948'582'912 bytes
Total Bitrate:          34.18 Mbps

VIDEO:

Codec                   Bitrate             Description     
-----                   -------             -----------     
MPEG-4 AVC Video        28000 kbps          1080p / 23.976 fps / 16:9 / High Profile 4.1

AUDIO:

Codec                           Language        Bitrate         Description     
-----                           --------        -------         -----------     
DTS-HD Master Audio             English         2036 kbps       5.1 / 48 kHz / 2036 kbps / 16-bit (DTS Core: 5.1 / 48 kHz / 1509 kbps / 16-bit)
DTS-HD Master Audio             German          2045 kbps       5.1 / 48 kHz / 2045 kbps / 16-bit (DTS Core: 5.1 / 48 kHz / 1509 kbps / 16-bit)

SUBTITLES:

Codec                           Language        Bitrate         Description     
-----                           --------        -------         -----------     
Presentation Graphics           German          139.395 kbps                    
Presentation Graphics           German          1.067 kbps                      

The German Disc also changes the credits, scrolltext and all other things back to english. With one exception: The scrolltext before the end Credits start is in German now. The rest is complete english instead of French like it was on the French Blu Ray.

Here are some Pictures of this:

Movie Title French BD:
FR_Filmtitel.jpg

Movie Title German BD:
DE_Filmtitel.jpg

Scrolltext after the Credits French BD:
FR_Rolltext.jpg

Scrolltext after the Credits German BD:
DE_Rolltext.jpg

Text during the Movie on the French BD:
FR_Ortseinblendungen.jpg

Text during the Movie on the German BD:
DE_Ortseinblendungen.jpg

End Credits French BD:
FR_Abspann.jpg

End Credits German BD:
DE_Abspann.jpg

As you can see: The German BD is much more english friendly.
The only text in German is the Scrolltext right before the End Credits.

And btw: The Disc is Codefree!

I would recommend the Disc to everybody who is interested in the Movie.
Way better than the French Blu Ray disc because of the better encoding, 1080p instead of 1080i, the changes from french to english, 5.1 Sound instead of 2.0

Its clearly the best way to watch the movie at the moment. And given the Situation in the US (no DVD Release at all!) it doesn't look like these will change at the moment.
This Movie has no good History in Home Video Format.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 Old 08-12-2012, 09:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 818
I have been wanting to get a good BD of this for a long time.

If the screenshots are accurate, I'll have to pass...frown.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #3 of 62 Old 08-12-2012, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

If the screenshots are accurate, I'll have to pass...frown.gif

Why?

The Picture is absolutely ok for what it is: A Scan from a French Copy.
The best available PQ worldwide.

Its not going to be better until someone who has the original Material do a HD Scan.
And when i look at the Home Video History of this Movie thats probably not going to happen so fast.
post #4 of 62 Old 08-12-2012, 10:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss HD View Post

Its not going to be better until someone who has the original Material do a HD Scan.
And when i look at the Home Video History of this Movie thats probably not going to happen so fast.
It may be the best currently available, but for me to buy it will take more than that.
I agree a modern HD scan will likely do the trick.

RS has been and is an important filmmaker.
With The Duellists just recently announced for Region A release, I am hoping this movie won't be too far behind (fingers crossed wink.gif).

post #5 of 62 Old 08-12-2012, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the quick review, Swiss. wink.gif Can you say something about the English audio track? Does it have the correct pitch (given that the French version had 25fps)?

This movie is a European production that, for whatever reason, failed miserably at the US box office. Apparently there is not much interest among US distributors to pick this up. A shame really, since it has some epic Ridley Scott cinematography ...
post #6 of 62 Old 08-12-2012, 12:21 PM

Liked: 50
Adrian Biddle shot it
post #7 of 62 Old 08-12-2012, 02:57 PM

I have the France Blu-ray but I am getting the German Blu-ray because it's more English friendly and is 1080p and region free.

It's really ashame though this can't seem to get released in the USA on DVD or Blu-ray, I imported like 3 different DVD's of this years ago and they were just ok. I love this film enough to get the USA release, that is if it ever happens. I guess The Duelists coming to Blu-ray has now offered a small window of hope for 1492 getting a USA Blu-ray release one day but to be a realist I probably wouldn't count on it.

So if you really like this film the German Blu-ray makes way to much sense now to pass up!
post #8 of 62 Old 08-12-2012, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigby Reardon View Post

Can you say something about the English audio track? Does it have the correct pitch (given that the French version had 25fps)?

The Audio has the correct pitch. It is of course not the same Audio track as on the French release because that was only 2.0
The English 5.1 on the German BD sounds very good to me. Very active on the Surround Speakers. Great Atmosphere imho.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigby Reardon View Post

This movie is a European production that, for whatever reason, failed miserably at the US box office. Apparently there is not much interest among US distributors to pick this up. A shame really, since it has some epic Ridley Scott cinematography ...

Yes the cinematography is epic. And its way better to watch it in HD then in SD. Even if the HD is not a stunner.

And guess what? I even like the movie biggrin.gifwink.gif
I don't get why this was not a success in the USA.
Here in Europe the Movie gets more praise.
Not like Ridley Scotts other Films but more than in the USA.

This year would be the best to release the Film in the USA. Ridley Scott had a new Blockbuster in Cinemas and 1492 has its 20th Anniversary.
I don't know why this movie never made it to a digital media in the USA. And i really don't understand why they not even take advantage of the 20th Anniversary and the new Movie Release from the Director. Would be the perfect time to release it.
But seriously i doubt it will happen because there's no US announcement so far and its already middle of August.
post #9 of 62 Old 08-12-2012, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Sold. biggrin.gif I'll pick it up when I visit Germany next month. Last time I saw this was on a crummy VHS tape ...
post #10 of 62 Old 08-13-2012, 10:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:

This year would be the best to release the Film in the USA. Ridley Scott had a new Blockbuster in Cinemas and 1492 has its 20th Anniversary.
I don't know why this movie never made it to a digital media in the USA. And i really don't understand why they not even take advantage of the 20th Anniversary and the new Movie Release from the Director. Would be the perfect time to release it.

2017 will be the 525th anniversary of Columbus' voyage. Perhaps they're waiting for that? smile.gif
coffeecup45 likes this.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #11 of 62 Old 08-13-2012, 01:43 PM

I purchased this German Blu-ray of 1492 several months ago and the video & audio are very good. As good as many US releases on Blu-ray. If you like the movie you won't be disappointed.
post #12 of 62 Old 08-13-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

2017 will be the 525th anniversary of Columbus' voyage. Perhaps they're waiting for that? smile.gif

I doubt it, if Paramount still has the USA distribution rights for DVD, Blu-ray it means they don't feel it would be profitable enough to release it at all or it would have happened by now. So I don't understand why they won't sell the USA distribution rights to another interested USA distributor if they have no plans to release it. Paramount released it on VHS and LD so it's safe to assume they can release a DVD, Blu-ray anytime they feel like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie6 View Post

I purchased this German Blu-ray of 1492 several months ago and the video & audio are very good. As good as many US releases on Blu-ray. If you like the movie you won't be disappointed.

Not possible, this came out a few days ago in Germany. You probably have it mixed up with the France Blu-ray "1492: Christophe Colomb" which still is pretty decent.
post #13 of 62 Old 08-14-2012, 01:26 PM

Coffeecup45 I checked my Blu-ray of 1492 and you are correct I purchased the French version along with the Blu-ray "Intimate Enemies".
post #14 of 62 Old 08-14-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:

Coffeecup45 I checked my Blu-ray of 1492 and you are correct I purchased the French version along with the Blu-ray "Intimate Enemies".

No sweat, at the moment there are 2 versions of this film on Blu-ray in the whole wide world so it's very easy to get them confused. smile.gif
post #15 of 62 Old 08-14-2012, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Hi Folks
Since August 9th the German Blu Ray of Ridley Scotts 1492 is available.
The Only Blu Ray so far was the French Blu Ray from 2010. But this Disc was 1080i 25fps and therefore not everybody in the US could play it.
German Disc uses the same French Master but is in 1080p and correct 23,976 and with better compression:
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/139963/
Look especially at Screenshots 2 (left side of the Picture), Screenshot 3 (Background on the whole left side of the image. French has Artifacts that are gone on the German Disc) or Screenshot 8.
I did this comparison and if someone have doubts because of the JPG Compression i can assure you that the uncompressed PNGs looks the same. I always check this before i upload a comparison.
The disc is like i wrote in correct 1080p 23,976 fps. The French BD was 1080i 25fps.
And it has real English 5.1 Sound. The French has only 2.0
As you can see: The German BD is much more english friendly.
The only text in German is the Scrolltext right before the End Credits.
And btw: The Disc is Codefree!
I would recommend the Disc to everybody who is interested in the Movie.
Way better than the French Blu Ray disc because of the better encoding, 1080p instead of 1080i, the changes from french to english, 5.1 Sound instead of 2.0
Its clearly the best way to watch the movie at the moment. And given the Situation in the US (no DVD Release at all!) it doesn't look like these will change at the moment.
This Movie has no good History in Home Video Format.
Holy, holy, holy!!!
BIG thanks for the post (& pics STUNNING*).

This lOOks (& sounds STUNNING*)l ike a GREAT night at the movies!

* referring too the original film

"I wonder if any of the releases had slipcovers though."
"Are these comfirmed to have slipcovers?"
"They look nice in those slips."
"This slipcover looks too good to pass up."
post #16 of 62 Old 08-14-2012, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Why?
I'll be dead!

post #17 of 62 Old 08-14-2012, 11:19 PM

Big Ed you need some optimisim there. It's not a big or well known film in the USA market but it's possible it could get a Blu-ray release in the next few years. Wether Ridley Scott himself will be involved remains to be seen but just appreciate that there is a Blu-ray out of the film in Germany that is playable everywhere. The France Blu-ray helped pave the way for the Germany Blu-ray, they did a heck of a job on it.

Also SwissHD, I do appreciate your work here, thanks!
post #18 of 62 Old 08-15-2012, 08:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 397
The French Blu-ray is 1080i at 50 Hz with 4% speedup.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #19 of 62 Old 08-15-2012, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecup45 View Post

Big Ed you need some optimisim there. It's not a big or well known film in the USA market but it's possible it could get a Blu-ray release in the next few years. Wether Ridley Scott himself will be involved remains to be seen but just appreciate that there is a Blu-ray out of the film in Germany that is playable everywhere. The France Blu-ray helped pave the way for the Germany Blu-ray, they did a heck of a job on it.
Also SwissHD, I do appreciate your work here, thanks!
I am optimistic I'll get the German soon (orderED it yesterday/thanks all!).
I all so have a much better idea of when I'll be dead than you do!! wink.gif

post #20 of 62 Old 08-15-2012, 02:09 PM

The packaging for the French version states 1920 x 1080P MPEG4 / AVC and DTS-HD 2.0 MA. Are we saying this is false information? This movie was released in 1992 so 2.0 is the correct master file. 5.1 is a re-master and not the original. It might not be a big deal but do we want black & white or colorized? Do we want to fill the screen with HD content like HBO and others do? Or do we want correct aspect ratio? The French version is correct and there is nothing wrong with it. I have viewed it several times and the video and audio are very good. Its not Avatar but it is also not Spartacus.
post #21 of 62 Old 08-15-2012, 05:19 PM

This is like arguing what is the better STD, herpes or HIV.
Frankly I don't want either, it needs a restoration, I will wait for FOX in the UK.
post #22 of 62 Old 08-16-2012, 12:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Frankly I don't want either, it needs a restoration, I will wait for FOX in the UK.
Agreed, the screenshots are horrid.frown.gif

post #23 of 62 Old 08-16-2012, 09:20 AM

You guys might be waiting awhile or not for a proper release with restoration done on Blu-ray. I agree the film could look better but that could be said for plenty of other movies on Blu-ray to. You have to see it motion on BD, screenshots don't always impress or do justice to the actual source material.
post #24 of 62 Old 08-16-2012, 06:29 PM

I have seen the FR one in motion, no thanks.
Also I am ok with waiting, with lots of titles, star wars, BTTF, Star Trek and more
post #25 of 62 Old 08-17-2012, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

I have seen the FR one in motion, no thanks.
Also I am ok with waiting, with lots of titles, star wars, BTTF, Star Trek and more

I do hope the film gets some tender love and care one day, and done properly to! still it's a major upgrade over any DVD of the film but that's my opinion. The one thing about this movie is no other Columbus film will ever top the actual scene of discovery till his knees hit the shore, it's perfectly done. For that alone it deserves to be restored!!!
post #26 of 62 Old 08-20-2012, 01:21 PM

Just recieved mine today. It has the same transfer as the France Blu-ray except they touched it up a bit which is nice, audio sounds good like the France BD. Menus are different, it doesn't go to a menu it just plays the movie. On the France BD it loaded a very nice menu. Extras are the German trailer and the special feature making of on the France BD.

What I don't get here is at the start of the movie it had Concorde Home Entertainment than the Paramount logo and the movie started. Very strange it wasn't on the France BD but on the German BD. I don't understand why it's there but it must mean Paramount has the distribution rights for the film still, that's all I can think. So why they won't release it in the USA, I'll never understand. Anyway very nice BD of the film, if you don't have the France BD I strongly recommend a purchase as the disc is region free and it might take awhile for this to get a USA release on Blu-ray or a proper release anywhere.

Here are some pics I snapped if anyone here is interested in importing this edition:
1492_2.jpg 1492_1.jpg
post #27 of 62 Old 08-22-2012, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecup45 View Post

It has the same transfer as the France Blu-ray except they touched it up a bit which is nice...
What do you mean?

post #28 of 62 Old 08-22-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:

The packaging for the French version states 1920 x 1080P MPEG4 / AVC and DTS-HD 2.0 MA. Are we saying this is false information? This movie was released in 1992 so 2.0 is the correct master file. 5.1 is a re-master and not the original. It might not be a big deal but do we want black & white or colorized? Do we want to fill the screen with HD content like HBO and others do? Or do we want correct aspect ratio? The French version is correct and there is nothing wrong with it. I have viewed it several times and the video and audio are very good. Its not Avatar but it is also not Spartacus.

There was a six track mix for the blow up's, so an authentic multichannel mix exists
post #29 of 62 Old 08-22-2012, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED View Post

What do you mean?

They took the France HD master and digitally remastered it for this release. Some colors seem richer, some minor contrast boosting, images sharper, etc than on the France BD. It is listed on the cover as saying it has been digitally remastered. It's not a big, big difference but it's evident they made some slight changes with the France HD master by TF1.

So I take it nobody has any idea why the Paramount logo starts the movie? It's the international cut of the film not the USA theatrical, I wonder if it means Paramount has the home video distribution rights still or they were involved with the HD master somehow.

I haven't any idea really, it's just really strange it's there considering they have never released it on DVD and Blu-ray in the USA.

Let me say one thing about this film, sure it's a Columbus film but I get a little more out of it than just history. I think it really has meaning, to pursue your dreams in life regardless of if you fail at it or not. That's how the Depardieu Columbus in this film came across, a man with a vision determined to make it a reality but what he got in the end was reality but he seemed happy that he pursued them instead of doing nothing about it and he made history and changed the world. The Vangelis score, Scott's directing, Depardieu's performance, and the brilliant cinematography by Adrian Biddle make this film a vision imo. I can understand how people can see this as a great film and be touched by it. Just my 2 cents on the film.
post #30 of 62 Old 08-23-2012, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Got home from vacation late last night & had "1492" & the Scandinavian "Mission Impossible Trilogy" in the mailbox waiting on me. I'm so excited to see 1492 as the last time was on a crappy VHS tape so this will already be a huge improvement. Time to go make the popcorn!!
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page