October Baby - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-16-2012, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27

"The following content was provided by the publisher.

As the curtain rises, Hannah hesitantly steps onto the stage for her theatrical debut in college. Yet before she can utter her first lines, Hannah—unscripted—collapses in front of the stunned audience. After countless medical tests, all signs point to one underlying factor: Hannah's difficult birth. This revelation is nothing compared to what she then learns from her parents: she was actually adopted... after a failed abortion attempt. Bewildered, angered, and confused, Hannah turns for support to Jason, her oldest friend. Encouraged by his adventurous spirit, Hannah joins his group of friends on a Spring Break road trip, embarking on a journey to discover her hidden past... and find hope for her unknown future. In the midst of her incredible journey, Hannah finds that life can be so much more than what you have planned."

http://www.walmart.com/ip/21318408
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-23-2012, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Rental versions of Blu-ray’s are now being placed in retail packages?

I pre-ordered October Baby on Blu-ray back in early August of 2012. The Blu-ray was released on September 11th 2012. When I received the October Baby Blu-ray around late September or early October, I placed the Blu-ray in my movie storage area until I made time to watch it. Tonight I read the back of the Blu-ray jacket and it says a commentary track with many other Special features are suppose to be included. To my surprise when I placed the Blu-ray disc in my Blu-ray player I discovered that instead of having the 20th Century Fox retail version, instead I have what appears to be the 20th Century Fox rental version. The only menu options I have on the Blu-ray are PLAY, SETUP, and SEARCH. No commentary track or bonus features are on the Blu-ray version I have. This so called rental version only has 35.9GB on it which is the movie only version with no extra features.

This has never happen to me before to purchase a retail version of the movie and instead I receive a rental version of the movie. The back of the Blu-ray jacket clearly says there is suppose to be commentary track with many other Special features.

Is anyone else having this problem?

The following are theories only and need to be verified. The theory I have right now is that there are two versions of the October Baby Blu-rays being sold at retail. One version of October Baby sounds like it’s the full version with all the extra features. On that version the close up of the Ladies face is shown on the front of the Blu-ray jacket. Now on the lower cost version of October Baby (UPC 602341005692) the theory is 20th Century Fox mislabeled the back of the October Baby jacket and instead of mentioning that this is a movie only version, the back of the jacket instead says it has a whole bunch of Special features with commentary track.

Does anyone own an October Baby Blu-ray that looks exactly like the jacket pictured in the Walmart link below?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/October-Baby-Blu-ray-Widescreen/21318408

If so what is the UPC code for that Blu-ray?

This review at the following link is a verification that the commantary track with extra features does exist for the October Baby title.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/7457/october_baby.html
post #3 of 5 Old 11-24-2012, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It’s been confirmed that 20th Century Fox by mistake placed the movie only rental version of October Baby in some Blu-ray retail cases

I just had an email conversation with the mail order company that I purchased October Baby from. They informed me that they had a problem and received the wrong optical discs of October Baby which is the movie only version. Their stock has been updated with the correct version now (The October Baby retail version with the Special Features). The mail order company that I purchased from is sending me a replacement October Baby Blu-ray disc and once I get the replacement I will be mailing the incorrect movie only rental version back with a pre-paid return label that they said that they would provide.

Consumers should check their version of October Baby on Blu-ray and make sure that they have the retail version with the Special features instead of of the movie only rental version. It sounds like this might have been a wide spread problem for those that received the first batch of October Baby Blu-ray discs that were released on September 11th 2012.

I have always been disappointed when renting movies and getting the movie only rental version, this is even worse to receive the rental movie only version when purchasing the full retail version. This mix up would have never occurred if some studios would not offer a special movie only rental version.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-05-2013, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

October Baby Blu-ray retail version compared to the rental version

I received my replacement Blu-ray disc in the mail and I confirmed that it is the retail version and not the rental version. The jacket art work is exactly the same with the only difference being a new sticker that was added on the Blu-ray case that says “THE NO.1 INSPIRATIONAL MOVIE OF THE YEAR!”. If one has that sticker on their October Baby Blu-ray case then they have the retail version of October Baby instead of the rental version. Has anyone confirmed that there really are two different October Baby jackets? I have only seen one October Baby jacket art work and I am having doubts that the other jacket exists. Perhaps one October Baby jacket is sold to Christian retailers and the other October Baby jacket is sold to mainstream retail locations like Walmart if the second style of jacket art work really exists.

A Brief retail and rental disc comparison

I was very surprised that the retail version and rental version of October Baby both are using exactly 35.9GB of total space on the 50GB dual layer disc. Most of the time a retail version with the extra features will take up more disc space. However 20th Century Fox instead of creating a higher bit rate video and audio encode for the retail version decided to use the exact same disc image for the rental version, with the only difference being the master menu. The rental version of October Baby really has the video and audio extra features on the disc, however they are locked out and cannot be accessed. The only major difference between the rental version and the retail version is that a new main menu was created for the rental version to remove the ability to navigate to the area of the disc that contains the extra features. Another difference is that the movie trailers cannot be chapter skipped over on the rental version and one only has the ability to fast forward past the movie trailers on the rental version. The retail version contains navigation on the main menu to access the extra features and also the ability to both skip over and fast forward past the movie trailers at the beginning of the disk. With a simple small file change on the disc image 20th Century Fox was able to create a rental version that does not have any navigation to the extra features and navigation chapter skips was disabled for the movie trailer previews.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-07-2013, 02:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I just made the time to watch this October Baby movie and it was very well done. The extra features were also enjoyable to watch.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page