post #361 of 410 Old 12-16-2012, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkaline View Post

Anyone catch the seamless transition from 2.40:1 to IMAX in the scene where Selina traps Bats in Bane's lair? It's at approx 1:11:24. Seamless as in, occuring in an unbroken shot. Apparently they had the IMAX shot artificially masked, and it opens up right as the gate closes behind Bats. Nice touch. TMK it's the only transition of its kind in this or TDK.

Yeah that part was cool.

I think if they blended all the shots like that some people wouldn't have a problem with the switching ratios.

home theater addict
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 410 Old 12-18-2012, 03:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Anyone catch the seamless transition from 2.40:1 to IMAX in the scene where Selina traps Bats in Bane's lair? It's at approx 1:11:24. Seamless as in, occuring in an unbroken shot. Apparently they had the IMAX shot artificially masked, and it opens up right as the gate closes behind Bats. Nice touch. TMK it's the only transition of its kind in this or TDK.
I thought there was something stylistic going on with the AR switch in that particular shot, but I didn't pay it much thought when viewing. Will go back and have a look now. smile.gif
post #363 of 410 Old 12-18-2012, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:

I haven't noticed it yet (won't own the film for another week), but I didn't know what IMAX transitions looked like in TDK until I saw the Blu-ray. When reviews said "the frame opens up as we get a shot of Christian Bale on the roof of a Hong Kong tower," I was thinking what would happen is exactly as you mentioned it.

In other words, in TDK you have Lucius Fox telling Bruce: "Mr Wayne, good luck." After that is the shot on the roof. That would have been sick if the top and bottom frames slowly opened as we had a look at that panning shot.

Now I kind of wish it was there.
post #364 of 410 Old 12-18-2012, 04:19 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 820
That's how it was done theatrically in IMAX for Mission Impossible 4. Worked great like that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- direct pod link

- main website

post #365 of 410 Old 12-19-2012, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Was that the shot of the Burj Khalifa? It worked beautifully, and it's a damned shame that Mr Director Sir put the kibosh on an alternating aspect Blu-ray.
post #366 of 410 Old 12-19-2012, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

Was that the shot of the Burj Khalifa? It worked beautifully, and it's a damned shame that Mr Director Sir put the kibosh on an alternating aspect Blu-ray.

I agree it would have looked gorgeous.
post #367 of 410 Old 12-19-2012, 07:46 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

Yes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

I agree it would have looked gorgeous.

...and yes! I'm still bummed about that.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #368 of 410 Old 12-24-2012, 11:35 AM

Liked: 10
Was anyone able to get the Flick-To-Screen stuff to work in the Second Screen app of their Blu-ray? I got everything else in the app to work. But, when I flick those things, it just says "Receiving content" on my HDTV followed by a blank screen. On my iPad it shows a button and "Skip secret file?" TIA

Joseph
post #369 of 410 Old 12-26-2012, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
I haven't read through the thread here, and while this is a gorgeous movie to watch, especially with the imax scenes, one thing thats disappointing that I noticed in theaters and at the time blamed it on the theater projector (which made me rage so hard), theres a lot of points in this movie where the picture is soft, slightly out of focus and it drives me absolutely insane. Its very subtle for the most part but enough to catch my eye.

Bought the Dark knight trilogy for 25 bucks at best buy, had a ton of special features, worth it even though I already had begins/the dark knight.. It coems in a cool textured box :P

EMP E55ti | EMP E56ci | Polk T15's for surround duty | Ultimax 15" Sub | Integra 40.2 | Rotel 976 | Panasonic 60ST60
post #370 of 410 Old 12-26-2012, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady195 View Post

Bought the Dark knight trilogy for 25 bucks at best buy, had a ton of special features, worth it even though I already had begins/the dark knight.. It coems in a cool textured box :P

But it *is* the exact same special features as the separate releases right (including TDKR's) ?
post #371 of 410 Old 12-26-2012, 02:12 PM

Liked: 50
Yep same discs plus a cut down book
post #372 of 410 Old 12-26-2012, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Yep same discs plus a cut down book

I don't know what's inside the cut down version but I have the "real" book and it's pretty cool...
post #373 of 410 Old 12-29-2012, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
I got the Dark Knight Rises Blu-ray and has anyone else heard extreme distortion/crackling on certain scenes??? Like the moment Batman is trapped in the alley only to escape in an aircraft. When the aircraft lifts off and flies over the cops, the sound is all jacked up and sounds like it's going over the 0db audio limit of the audio track. It RUINS the scenes where it's happening for me because it makes me aware I'm watching a movie suddenly. Takes me right out of the moment.
post #374 of 410 Old 12-29-2012, 03:58 PM

Liked: 16
No, doesn't happen on my disc. Audio wise this has been my new ref disc.
post #375 of 410 Old 12-29-2012, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman2 View Post

Nope. Audio wise this has been my new ref disc.

Well, I lowered the volume and the crackling/distortion happens even then. Also I tested it on my computer and the distortion is there as well. It happens in ALL channels, including the rear channels of the soundtrack. It's pretty obvious. I've never had any Blu-Ray ever do this. The blu-ray I have came out of the "Dark Knight Trilogy" pack. Anyone else besides Superman2? Does anyone have the Trilogy pack and can test it? You don't even need high volume. Just play that one scene where Batman's aircraft flies over the cops and it's pretty easy to hear the crackling and distortion.
post #376 of 410 Old 12-29-2012, 04:18 PM

Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy91 View Post

Well, I lowered the volume and the crackling/distortion happens even then. Also I tested it on my computer and the distortion is there as well. It happens in ALL channels, including the rear channels of the soundtrack. It's pretty obvious. I've never had any Blu-Ray ever do this. The blu-ray I have came out of the "Dark Knight Trilogy" pack. Anyone else besides Superman2? Does anyone have the Trilogy pack and can test it? You don't even need high volume. Just play that one scene where Batman's aircraft flies over the cops and it's pretty easy to hear the crackling and distortion.

I have the trilogy pack and my disc sounds great. I heard no distortion.

My player (Panasonic BD-85) is decoding the audio, fwiw.
post #377 of 410 Old 12-29-2012, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeb View Post

I have the trilogy pack and my disc sounds great. I heard no distortion.
My player (Panasonic BD-85) is decoding the audio, fwiw.

Yeah, again, I tried this disc on more than one source and it's there. I would have to think these discs are made from preset masters, so more people have got to be having this issue. The distortion is definitely on the master track. Can't miss it. I am not having this issue with the other any other discs. This is the only one.
post #378 of 410 Old 12-29-2012, 10:16 PM

Just watched TDKR and can report I also have distortion issues. For most movies I have the AVR volume set between -15 and -20, however, I had to turn this one way down as they mixed this one very hot. Even at -30 the sound was very muffled, like the all the tweeters in my speakers were blown muffled. Really weird considering the audio quality for this disc was rated high. The only part of the audio that sounded good to me was the musical score but that seemed to drown everything else out as well. I'm confused as I have not made any settings changes that would affect sound quality.
post #379 of 410 Old 12-29-2012, 10:31 PM

Liked: 54
Quote:

Yeah, again, I tried this disc on more than one source and it's there. I would have to think these discs are made from preset masters, so more people have got to be having this issue. The distortion is definitely on the master track. Can't miss it. I am not having this issue with the other any other discs. This is the only one.

Don't know what to tell you, but I'm not experiencing anything close to what you guys (the couple of you that are having the issue) are hearing.
post #380 of 410 Old 12-30-2012, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Just watching it on a PC monitor, the mix is highly distorted due to the range of the sound, and it definitely overwhelmed my speakers whenever the music swelled or during big sound-fx shots. It was also noticeable through my soundbar.
post #381 of 410 Old 12-30-2012, 09:38 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeb View Post

Don't know what to tell you, but I'm not experiencing anything close to what you guys (the couple of you that are having the issue) are hearing.

Same here. Watched this one two times at -1 from reference and did not notice anything as far as distortion.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #382 of 410 Old 12-30-2012, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 222
The track is mega-loud but I noticed no distortion at all.
post #383 of 410 Old 12-30-2012, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
Quote:

I got the Dark Knight Rises Blu-ray and has anyone else heard extreme distortion/crackling on certain scenes??? Like the moment Batman is trapped in the alley only to escape in an aircraft. When the aircraft lifts off and flies over the cops, the sound is all jacked up and sounds like it's going over the 0db audio limit of the audio track. It RUINS the scenes where it's happening for me because it makes me aware I'm watching a movie suddenly. Takes me right out of the moment.

What kind of setups are you playing it through? Sounds more or less like whatever your using is just having trouble playing it without distorting.

I;ve allways had decent fronts, but just recentley I replaced the rear satellites I used with good bookshelf speakers, before I got them a few weeks ago I would get distortion from the rear surrounds in that scene and also when the big white cargo plane was sweeping in from bottom right up to the left and swooping from right rear to right front surround, the rear satellite would crackle and couldent take it..

EMP E55ti | EMP E56ci | Polk T15's for surround duty | Ultimax 15" Sub | Integra 40.2 | Rotel 976 | Panasonic 60ST60
post #384 of 410 Old 12-30-2012, 12:50 PM

Liked: 50
Poor mix, sure.
Distorted, nope.
post #385 of 410 Old 12-31-2012, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

i think i heard it as well, but i don't think its distortion, but just the less than stellar setup i have for my 2nd ht setup.

my wife appropriated the 5.1 surround setup in the main ht, so i've been relegated to the master bed with an inferior audio system
my guess is the equip can't handle what coming out of the discs audio track.

neflixis our nemesis
post #386 of 410 Old 01-01-2013, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady195 View Post

What kind of setups are you playing it through? Sounds more or less like whatever your using is just having trouble playing it without distorting.
I;ve allways had decent fronts, but just recentley I replaced the rear satellites I used with good bookshelf speakers, before I got them a few weeks ago I would get distortion from the rear surrounds in that scene and also when the big white cargo plane was sweeping in from bottom right up to the left and swooping from right rear to right front surround, the rear satellite would crackle and couldent take it..

People, it's there. Even in headphones with the volume cut down to low levels, it's blurping and clipping the sound AT THE SOURCE, it's NOT the equipment. I have a very nice, HQ setup which produces very clean sound and clipping is heard very easily in my system. As I said before, I don't have this problem with any other of my movies. This one movie I have an issue with a handful of scenes and it's ONLY this disc's sound. Even the DTS-HD master track is clipped. I tried it on my main system + at low volume, on my PC + low volume and headphones + low volume. The clipping is audible on ALL THREE different gear I've tested it on and it's audible even at low volumes. On my PC and on my HT, even the rear channels have audible clipping even at low volume settings. The distortion is clearly on the SOURCE from my testing.
post #387 of 410 Old 01-01-2013, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:

People, it's there. Even in headphones with the volume cut down to low levels, it's blurping and clipping the sound AT THE SOURCE, it's NOT the equipment. I have a very nice, HQ setup which produces very clean sound and clipping is heard very easily in my system. As I said before, I don't have this problem with any other of my movies. This one movie I have an issue with a handful of scenes and it's ONLY this disc's sound. Even the DTS-HD master track is clipped. I tried it on my main system + at low volume, on my PC + low volume and headphones + low volume. The clipping is audible on ALL THREE different gear I've tested it on and it's audible even at low volumes. On my PC and on my HT, even the rear channels have audible clipping even at low volume settings. The distortion is clearly on the SOURCE from my testing.

I had that with my copy of Street Kings. I always wanted to return it, but the damn F.Y.E. I bought it from never got a new copy again.

That'll show me not to purchase it at a Best Buy, even if it's on sale.
post #388 of 410 Old 01-05-2013, 02:14 PM

Since I have and older PS3 as my blu-ray player I can only send PCM to the receiver. I wonder if it is a decoding issue.
post #389 of 410 Old 01-05-2013, 02:26 PM

Liked: 12
I had the same issue you're describing playing it on my PS3. Turns out my PS3 audio was set to max (+4) vs normal (0). When playing the movie, push the triangle button and go to audio options. Make sure yours is set to 0 if not and that should fix it as it did mine.
post #390 of 410 Old 01-06-2013, 08:31 AM

That was the issue! I totally forgot about that setting. I don't know what would have caused it to be set a +4 as I remembered in the past making sure it was set at 0 but oh well these things happen. Thanks for the help.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page