The Dark Knight Rises - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 410 Old 01-06-2013, 01:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I had issues with hearing all the dialog - but not so much with Bane.

Having a 2.40 CIH, I didn't notice any issues with the changing of aspects.

I loved the film.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 410 Old 01-07-2013, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Well....FINALLY! I got a chance to view DKR over the weekend and loved it! The picture was beautiful and I had no issues with the screen ratio. I was absorbed in the story after the first 10 minutes and that was it. The picture, IMO seem to be a touch more clean than TDK. The sound was great as well. I had the crackling/distortion as well but I actually didn't know about the PS3 setting so I'll fix that tonight. My only two comments about the audio are that I felt that Bane got more difficult to understand as the movie progressed. Perhaps because his lines increased. And I did feel the surround mix could have been a bit more aggressive for this particular movie.

There aren't many movies that I can say I get totally absorbed in but this one I sure did, just as I did TDK. I'm sure I could watch this a few more times and start to pick it apart but it doesn't change that this was a good movie. Many compared this to TDK and didn't regard it as high but I personally will rate it equal on a curve. This movie brought back in more of the first installment while continuing the same "anarchy" of the second and I thought it tied them in nicely. As good as the performances were in DKR, lets face it, Heath Ledger really did something special. IMO, if Ledger turns in 2/3 his performance these movies are equal in my opinion. The ending? Well, everybody is going to want different things but I personally liked the ending. A bit hokey perhaps but as far as hokey goes they did a nice job with it. I think many of us have this mindset that superheroes are immortal but this movie just causes us to look at it a bit more realistically. Especially since Batman is one of the few that isn't a mutant or alien. I can't wait to watch this again!

Note: I mentioned that I was fully absorbed in this movie but I did get pulled out during the first shooting scenes in the tunnels. I did give pause to the Aurora victims because it made me think about what that must have been like in the theater.
post #393 of 410 Old 01-07-2013, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yeah I'm not sure why PS3 sets some volumes to +4 vs leaving alone at 0. Glad I found that as the issue and then posted on here as well to help out!
post #394 of 410 Old 01-12-2013, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Anybody try the "app sync" feature, yet? I notice on the back cover that it says it is compatible for IOS and Android devices. On the disc, I am instructed to get the app from the Apple Store or Google Play site, then sync with the disc over wifi. Yet when I go to Google Play (to seek the Android app), there is no app for Android.

Am I just looking in the wrong place, or was there a screw-up when they produced the disc packaging where they thought there would be an Android app, but ended up only supporting IOS?

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #395 of 410 Old 01-12-2013, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Makes me wonder how the sync works if the Blu-ray player isn't on wi-fi.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #396 of 410 Old 01-12-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, obviously you need the wifi at least the first time (or at least a player connected on the active network). It may vary for different movie products, but at the very least, I think the disc/player is just passing a one-time, electronic token to the app that will allow it to access Warner servers for bonus media (perhaps, to unlock the app for use, as well). Once the app is unlocked, it should be good to go to work autonomously (whether the bluray player is on the network or not), but that could vary depending on exactly what features the app is hosting or how pedantic the makers/content producers of the app want to be about it. wink.gif

So anybody on an Android device get this working on this disc?

post #397 of 410 Old 01-13-2013, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Just found out, the IOS app is not compatible on earlier iPad models, either. Must be something really great in it, I expect. It's a 500 MB download, after all! eek.gif ...not just your ordinary smartphone/tablet app.

post #398 of 410 Old 01-16-2013, 12:55 PM

Liked: 10
When you get into the Second Screen app, let me know If you get the Flick-To-Screen stuff to work. I got everything else in the app to work. But, when I flick those things, it just says "Receiving content" on my HDTV followed by a blank screen. On my iPad it shows a button and "Skip secret file?" TIA

Joseph
post #399 of 410 Old 01-23-2013, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 288
I noticed how buried the vocals were in the soundtrack. Had to crank the center speaker to understand most of the dialog (especially from Bain) during the action sequences. Don't they QC the home theater mixes before authoring the discs?

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #400 of 410 Old 01-26-2013, 09:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

I noticed how buried the vocals were in the soundtrack. Had to crank the center speaker to understand most of the dialog (especially from Bain) during the action sequences. Don't they QC the home theater mixes before authoring the discs?

It sounded like that in the theater too. It's a crappy sound mix.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #401 of 410 Old 01-31-2013, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

It's a crappy sound mix.

Quoted for truth.

post #402 of 410 Old 01-31-2013, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Quoted for truth.

...I couldn't agree more...I've resorted to watching this move with the sub-titles on and no sound!...this is not a way to enjoy what should be a great sound mix for home theater...
post #403 of 410 Old 01-31-2013, 10:53 PM

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Weinman View Post

...I couldn't agree more...I've resorted to watching this move with the sub-titles on and no sound!...this is not a way to enjoy what should be a great sound mix for home theater...

Might as well turn your colour down too and watch it in black and white, silent movies style. Seriously though, your equipment can't be set up correctly, this is a great audio track and dialogue is mostly crystal clear.

Collingwood Magpies 2010 AFL Premiers
post #404 of 410 Old 01-31-2013, 11:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4daisy View Post

Might as well turn your colour down too and watch it in black and white, silent movies style. Seriously though, your equipment can't be set up correctly, this is a great audio track and dialogue is mostly crystal clear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

It sounded like that in the theater too. It's a crappy sound mix.

...system is fine...thanks. (I especially like the 4:3 b&w image.)
post #405 of 410 Old 01-31-2013, 11:56 PM

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Weinman View Post

...system is fine...thanks. (I especially like the 4:3 b&w image.)

No worries mate. Enjoy the sub titles and silence.
muffinmcfluffin likes this.

Collingwood Magpies 2010 AFL Premiers
post #406 of 410 Old 02-24-2013, 01:51 PM

IDK, I had to break out my old Avia disc to dial in my speakers recently after getting a new display (the Wow Disc audio setup sucks in comparison unless I’m missing something). The audio on this disc had probably the best sound effects of any of the admittedly very few discs I own.

I saw this at our local IMAX to see if I would appreciate it being shot on ‘film’ vs so many of the new movies shot digitally. IDK if I appreciated it there so much, but now that I’ve gone plasma I have been shopping for films recommended here for plasma screens to show off the blacks. I just so happened to order Inception and this movie without realizing they are both Christopher Nolan and shot on film. I’m not the biggest ‘film geek’ – I’m sure most people here were well aware.

Anyway, this is certainly going to be at the top of ‘reference’ discs for my small ‘collection’ (less than a dozen Blu-ray discs lol). Kudos to the site for providing good recommendations.
post #407 of 410 Old 02-24-2013, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastfwd View Post

IKD, I had to break out my old Avia disc to dial in my speakers recently after getting a new display (the Wow Disc audio setup sucks in comparison unless I’m missing something). The audio on this disc had probably the best sound effects of any of the admittedly very few discs I own.

I saw this at our local IMAX to see if I would appreciate it being shot on ‘film’ vs so many of the new movies shot digitally. IDK if I appreciated it there so much, but now that I’ve gone plasma I have been shopping for films recommended here for plasma screens to show off the blacks. I just so happened to order Inception and this movie without realizing they are both Christopher Nolan and shot on film. I’m not the biggest ‘film geek’ – I’m sure most people here were well aware.

Anyway, this is certainly going to be at the top of ‘reference’ discs for my small ‘collection’ (less than a dozen Blu-ray discs lol). Kudos to the site for providing good recommendations.

To me and quite a few others, the DKR soundtrack is less than stellar or reference (but since you don't have a lot of other superior Blu-ray's to compare it to...). The dialog, in particular, is poorly integrated into the rest of the mix. Bane is very difficult to understand. Nolan's choice to record Tom Hardy's almost Darth Vader-esque performance live using the mask he was given to wear was also not the best choice... coupled with the sound engineers not balancing the soundtrack better, made this a hard slog to get through.

Most of the modern Disney and PIXAR films on Blu-ray are absolutely reference and worth picking up... not just for the stellar audio, but for the good story telling. However... Cars 2 and Brave would be a pass for me. Weaker stories than normal. biggrin.gif

If you liked the latest James Bond (I didn't, but there you go), Skyfall has a highly regarded transfer on Blu.

Ron Fricke's Samsara (he also did Chronos and Baraka) large-format film is absolutely amazing A/V-wise and very powerful visual story telling as well.

post #408 of 410 Old 02-24-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:

To me and quite a few others, the DKR soundtrack is less than stellar or reference (but since you don't have a lot of other superior Blu-ray's to compare it to...). The dialog, in particular, is poorly integrated into the rest of the mix. Bane is very difficult to understand. Nolan's choice to record Tom Hardy's almost Darth Vader-esque performance live using the mask he was given to wear was also not the best choice... coupled with the sound engineers not balancing the soundtrack better, made this a hard slog to get through.

Most of the modern Disney and PIXAR films on Blu-ray are absolutely reference and worth picking up... not just for the stellar audio, but for the good story telling. However... Cars 2 and Brave would be a pass for me. Weaker stories than normal. biggrin.gif

If you liked the latest James Bond (I didn't, but there you go), Skyfall has a highly regarded transfer on Blu.

Ron Fricke's Samsara (he also did Chronos and Baraka) large-format film is absolutely amazing A/V-wise and very powerful visual story telling as well.

Ah, I didn’t mean to step into any debate on the critical review of the soundtrack with my opinion of it being ‘reference’ relative to my tiny collection of discs. Maybe the LFE was what impressed me so much on this disc. I use the term ‘reference’ loosely at best. If I were looking to show off the audio of my meager setup – this disc seemed to impress me; at least the first viewing of it today. I didn’t notice a much deficiency in the dialog actually. Maybe I’m confusing how loud the effects were with what constitutes ‘reference’ level audio in a more critical sense.
post #409 of 410 Old 02-25-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaJones00 View Post

Received my copy of the US Blu-ray Saturday and it looks fantastic, only had time to try out the stock exchange robbery and end truck chase but this is my new demo disc smile.gif

Ok, so; I'm reading through this and I’m obviously out of my element in regard to critical review of the technical aspects of film, etc. but at least I found one other person share my sentiment! LOL I don’t know if my ‘home theater’ has ever rocked quite like this disc rocked it. (Adire Audio Rava/5 Ascend CBM 170s)

I don’t watch nearly the quantity of movies as most of you on it though.
post #410 of 410 Old 02-25-2013, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastfwd View Post

Ok, so; I'm reading through this and I’m obviously out of my element in regard to critical review of the technical aspects of film, etc. but at least I found one other person share my sentiment! LOL I don’t know if my ‘home theater’ has ever rocked quite like this disc rocked it. (Adire Audio Rava/5 Ascend CBM 170s)

I don’t watch nearly the quantity of movies as most of you on it though.

Try the Blu-ray of PIXAR's The Incredibles. That will not only rock hard, but the ambient surround mix is IMHO superior to TDKR in every respect. It's not as bass heavy, but it doesn't sound bloated either. And the dialog recording is excellent. biggrin.gif

I also wouldn't use Avatar as a benchmark either. It has a steep bass roll off below 25 Hz. Don't know what happened with that mix, but where you'd expect room rattling bass... it's pretty anemic.

Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page