The Dark Knight Rises - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 410 Old 08-19-2012, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 306
"Eight years after the events of The Dark Knight, the terrorist leader Bane arrives in Gotham City, pushing it and its police force to their limits, forcing its former hero Batman to resurface after taking the fall for Harvey Dent's crimes."

As the release date is now official, I'm starting a thread! smile.gif

Variable 2.4:1 and 1.78:1

SPECIAL FEATURES (from the UK release)
"THE BATMOBILE" DOCUMENTARY: Witness all five Batmobiles together for the first time in history. Dive deep into every aspect of the most awe-inspiring weapon in Batman's arsenal as you journey through the birth and evolution of this technological marvel and cultural icon.
ENDING THE KNIGHT: A comprehensive look into how Director Christopher Nolan and his production team made "The Dark Knight Rises" the epic conclusion to the Dark Knight legend.
Production
The Prologue: High-Altitude Hijacking
Return to the Batcave
Beneath Gotham
The Bat
Batman vs Bane
Armory Accepted
Gameday Destruction
Demolishing a City Street
The Pit
The Chant
The War on Wall Street
Race to the Reactor
Characters
The Journey of Bruce Wayne
Gotham's Reckoning
A Girls Gotta Eat
Reflections
Shadows & Light in Large Format
The End of A Legend
Trailers
Art Galleries
UltraViolet: Instantly stream and download films to compatible devices

...I'm guessing only the U.S will get the ultraviolet, standard digital copy for the others...

No need to mention I'm looking forward to watching it on Blu-ray, I absolutely love the whole trilogy. cool.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 410 Old 08-19-2012, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I thought Batman Begins was my favorite, however I haven't seen this one yet. The Dark Knight was just a tad too dark for my taste.....

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #3 of 410 Old 08-19-2012, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Batman Begins is still my favorite.
post #4 of 410 Old 08-19-2012, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Batman '89 is still my favorite
post #5 of 410 Old 08-19-2012, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Can we complain about the annoying switching aspect ratios in this thread too.

post #6 of 410 Old 08-19-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post

Oh god, can we, please!

Not surprised they are getting it out fast for Christmas what with its box office, plus avoiding Hunger Games and Avengers at retail will help.
post #7 of 410 Old 08-19-2012, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Batman '89 is still my favorite
Well, overall, it's my fav as well. But it's Batman Begins, out of the Nolan trilogy.
post #8 of 410 Old 08-19-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul_duke View Post

Well, overall, it's my fav as well. But it's Batman Begins, out of the Nolan trilogy.

Yeah I would go with that, actual set design and an attempt at a time and place of its own rather than just CGI'd cities
post #9 of 410 Old 08-19-2012, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post

Shifting ARs is fine. The issue with TDK is they chose 1.78:1 instead of the proper 1.44:1 for IMAX content
post #10 of 410 Old 08-19-2012, 12:18 PM

Liked: 26
Do you feel in charge

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

post #11 of 410 Old 08-19-2012, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigionlsd View Post

Shifting ARs is fine. The issue with TDK is they chose 1.78:1 instead of the proper 1.44:1 for IMAX content

Pillarboxing a 16x9 screen would have the opposite effect than the one intented wouldn't it? Expanding from 2.39 to 1.78 seems more logical to me.
post #12 of 410 Old 08-19-2012, 06:43 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Pillarboxing a 16x9 screen would have the opposite effect than the one intented wouldn't it? Expanding from 2.39 to 1.78 seems more logical to me.

Agreed. Look forward to the IMAX sequences filling my 1.78 100" screen. smile.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- direct pod link

- main website

post #13 of 410 Old 08-21-2012, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaffney Rosaura View Post

It is very amazing and the most important thing is that my favorite actress Anne Hathaway is in the film.It worth watching with friends.

I need a damn microscope to read this..... eek.gif

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #14 of 410 Old 08-22-2012, 05:15 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by luigionlsd View Post

If they put them on the 2nd disc, like with the DVD, at least we could make a comparison.
post #15 of 410 Old 08-22-2012, 05:57 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Please say this WONT have shifting aspect ratios!?! eek.gif

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #16 of 410 Old 08-22-2012, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Please say this WONT have shifting aspect ratios!?! eek.gif

About 50% of the movie was IMAX, I really don't see why they wouldn't give it the same treatment as The Dark Knight. We'll see when the specs come out...
post #17 of 410 Old 08-22-2012, 06:52 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Chances are it will be variable aspect then, bummer. frown.gif Thanks Morpheo.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #18 of 410 Old 08-22-2012, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'll probably pay extra for the Best Buy Steelbook to go with my BB and TDK steelbooks ($5 each with DVD trade-up offer applied to $9.99 sale price). Since we saw it on a large (but not true IMAX) "IMAX Experience" screen, the jumps from 2.35:1 to 1.78:1 will probably be similar to how it appeared in the theater.
post #19 of 410 Old 08-22-2012, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Can't wait for this release! Bring on the IMAX scenes, even though watching it home will never compare to my 15/70 IMAX viewing I had on a six-story tall screen smile.gif

"The powerful will be ripped from their decadent nests. And cast out into the cold world that we know and endure. Courts will be convened. Spoils will be enjoyed!"

-Bane

post #20 of 410 Old 08-22-2012, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
"I will show you where I have made my home, while preparing to bring justice... then I will break you."

Can't wait for this release. WB better not fudge this-1 up

Sent from my Awesome Phone via Tapatalk

Sent from my Awesome Phone via Tapatalk
post #21 of 410 Old 08-22-2012, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Sorry for creating the premature thread before, but there were some discussions I wanted to get started here to see what people thought.

First of all, there will be the hoopla about what Nolan and WB will use as their master for their discs. We were all in an outcry over The Dark Knight's non-IMAX shots with the EE and DNR used, so it does beg one to ask the question if they will do the exact same thing again. After all, Nolan seemed to be very satisfied with the look of TDK on Blu-ray.

Secondly (and I see it's already being discussed a bit), there's also the question about whether there will be two separate releases. We know that Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen had a general 2.35:1 and a Wal-Mart exclusive release with the IMAX print (and a different audio codec, I believe), and that Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol didn't seem to have any release with the IMAX footage in place. Perhaps WB will pull something where they have both versions on the same disc, like they did with The Town? It would certainly make for a lower bitrate, given such a long film. Maybe they'll have an IMAX exclusive, or two different discs in the case (not likely). I just hope we're not stuck with the same thing we were stuck with regarding TDK.

Alongside that, there will also be talks about a possible extended/director's cut, especially since the novelization for this film includes many moments which were probably filmed, but edited out. I know Nolan's not a fan of releasing these, mostly because his theatrical cut normally is his "director's cut." However, I read the novelization, and honestly, I prefer the theatrical cut more in general, with one or two exceptions. Any chance we will see this for the first time in a Nolan film?

Finally, Bane's voice. There are a few things to ponder over. First of all, Bane has gone through several changes in his voice since the original prologue shown in theaters. Personally, I much prefer that voice, even though crowds had trouble understanding it. Any chance that, given the different cuts/prints we may or may not get when it comes out, that we will hear Bane's voice in any different way that the theaters have it? One thing for sure... he was almost impossible to hear when I saw the film in IMAX, and he sounded very understandable in the regular theater. I personally hope they work on mixing it more, particularly with what my second problem is... the "Phone Booth effect," where his voice kind of covers all 5.1 channels when he speaks. I hope most of it is mixed to the center channel only when it comes out on Blu.

Anything else we can cover here?
post #22 of 410 Old 08-23-2012, 02:56 AM

it just had EE not DNR but it was from a DMR master, Nolan does not do extended cuts, shifting IMAX ratios are a given, and the mix was ruined as bane was higher in the mix than everyone else due to the cheap seats not understanding him.
Also one of the worst major sound mixes I have ever heard.
post #23 of 410 Old 08-23-2012, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
I read the novel and there wasn't really anything there that wasn't in the film except for a few snippets of dialogue though I do know for a fact that a lot of key stuff was cut from the film even though it had been shot and the editing process dumped a lot of great shots and little moments that moved the story along in a logical way, which is exactly what happened with Batman Begins. As for Mike's comments about the sound mix, I saw it in film-based IMAX and it was either the theater or the mix but something just wasn't right.
post #24 of 410 Old 08-23-2012, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmcfluffin View Post

... Finally, Bane's voice. There are a few things to ponder over. First of all, Bane has gone through several changes in his voice since the original prologue shown in theaters. Personally, I much prefer that voice, even though crowds had trouble understanding it. Any chance that, given the different cuts/prints we may or may not get when it comes out, that we will hear Bane's voice in any different way that the theaters have it? One thing for sure... he was almost impossible to hear when I saw the film in IMAX, and he sounded very understandable in the regular theater. I personally hope they work on mixing it more, particularly with what my second problem is... the "Phone Booth effect," where his voice kind of covers all 5.1 channels when he speaks. I hope most of it is mixed to the center channel only when it comes out on Blu.

Anything else we can cover here?

There were some lines that I struggled to hear during the preview version. Agree about the center channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post

I read the novel and there wasn't really anything there that wasn't in the film except for a few snippets of dialogue though I do know for a fact that a lot of key stuff was cut from the film even though it had been shot and the editing process dumped a lot of great shots and little moments that moved the story along in a logical way, which is exactly what happened with Batman Begins. As for Mike's comments about the sound mix, I saw it in film-based IMAX and it was either the theater or the mix but something just wasn't right.

I saw this in the same *real* IMAX theater as MI: GP. I'm not saying I have eidetic memory from the preview, but I do remember having to look up the lines afterwards. I could definitely understand all of Bane's lines in the prologue during the theatrical release. I lurve my local IMAX theater (Udvar-Hazy Air & Space Museum)!

Ðave -
It was technically a single shenanigan, more like a hijink...

post #25 of 410 Old 08-23-2012, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
Yeah, you and I saw it at the same theater. They sold more tickets than seats to the midnight showing so I had to wait for them to bring me a seat. They ended up kicking out some people before it started because they were seat stealing and refused to move.
post #26 of 410 Old 08-25-2012, 06:12 PM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

it just had EE not DNR but it was from a DMR master, Nolan does not do extended cuts, shifting IMAX ratios are a given, and the mix was ruined as bane was higher in the mix than everyone else due to the cheap seats not understanding him.
Also one of the worst major sound mixes I have ever heard.

Have to agree. Wasn't Bane per say, just that the sound mix and sound track would up swell and regularly overwhelm all and any dialogue, for everyone.

Saw it in IMAX, so maybe it was just an IMAX problem. Had no problem understand Bane, when other noise didn't get thrown in and drown him out.
post #27 of 410 Old 08-26-2012, 11:33 AM

No i saw it 2k and it was the same
post #28 of 410 Old 08-26-2012, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Have to agree. Wasn't Bane per say, just that the sound mix and sound track would up swell and regularly overwhelm all and any dialogue, for everyone.
Saw it in IMAX, so maybe it was just an IMAX problem. Had no problem understand Bane, when other noise didn't get thrown in and drown him out.

I saw it once in IMAX, and twice in a regular theater. I had zero problems in the regular theater, and many problems in IMAX.
post #29 of 410 Old 08-26-2012, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 45
The 'IMAX' showing I attended sounded like the bass was overcranked. It all sounded bloated.

Hopefully that was the theater and not the mix destined for the BR.

Best Regards
KvE

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shovelling it.

post #30 of 410 Old 08-30-2012, 03:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFDMvsEnya View Post

The 'IMAX' showing I attended sounded like the bass was overcranked. It all sounded bloated.
Hopefully that was the theater and not the mix destined for the BR.
Best Regards
KvE

Since the IMAX soundtrack does not have a dedicated LFE channel, I don't doubt that they violate standards by cranking up the subwoofers to impress the amateur masses. Their bass is nothing but distorted BOOM BOOM to my ears.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page