Led Zeppelin: 'Celebration Day' coming to Blu Ray NOVEMBER 19, 2012. Looks awesomely promising!! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 112 Old 11-27-2012, 03:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

very cool, thanks!
I just bought the bonus package (ie. CD, DVD, BD), I think a priceless value. So far have listened to the CD, definitely a great show, nice current takes on very famous music. Wish I were there myself. Can't wait to watch the BD on my system.
Are you still using your Denon DVD-3800BDCI?

You're welcome.

Still have my Denon... I'm surprised how long it has lasted. Still a champ!smile.gif

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 112 Old 11-27-2012, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

You're welcome.
Still have my Denon... I'm surprised how long it has lasted. Still a champ!smile.gif
yeah, that Denon player is killer! Very solid. I finally sold my DVD-3800BDCI unit recently on AudioGon, it sold quick. I sort of miss it for CD (and HDCD) playback, very sweet analog sound. Also pristine SD-DVD and BD video performance. I've now settled into using the Oppo players (I swore I would'nt), but I now love these players. I own the BDP-93, BDP-103 and the new BDP-105. They have come a long way in a short time.

One thing I'm curious about, I have only recently come around to down-loading (purchasing) content (mostly music) from iTunes. I noticed iTunes list's the "Celebration Day" album (download) for $9.99 , and the concert film HD video for $15.99 ($25.98 total). Have many here (on this thread)purchased this iTunes combination as opposed to buying actual Digi-pack? How does the iTunes HD video compare to the BluRay video version (for audio and video)?

I considered purchasing "Celebration Day" on iTunes but instead opted to buy the Deluxe Pack for $29.99 from Amazon, which includes- 2CD, DVD, and BluRay.
post #93 of 112 Old 11-27-2012, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Finally received my deluxe edition copy yesterday and watched it last night.

The film is a spectacular production, and amazing to think they pulled off such a flawless performance in only a couple months of rehearsals and one show. I thought watching Jason play the songs was most interesting, as I was really routing for him the whole time. Must have been so damn nerve-racking for him not only to play the reunion show with the greatest hard rock band of all time with the whole world watching, but also to fill his father's place which whom he has lived in the shadow of his whole life. I can only imagine the immense relief he must have felt when the show was over and he knew he had nailed it.

The rest of the band played great for their ages and how long its been since they were together. No doubt they still have that great chemistry, though they certainly have lost some intensity. More so with Plant than Page or Jones, but that's understandable considering he's the vocalist. Really nothing he can do about getting old and losing his range. He did still sound like him though, and pulled it off while looking like he was enjoying it.

It kind of sucks they didn't want to tour. I almost think if the O2 show didn't go as well as it did and they didn't feel like they closed it out on such a high note they may have wanted to do more shows until they were satisfied. But at least they finally released the video for everyone to see.

As for the Blu-Ray, video looked great to me so no complaints there. Sound is what it is. Very powerful, but I guess the low end in the drums (kick drum/toms) might have been a little on the soft/muddy side, but I prefer listening to concert videos in 2.1 channel audio and the 5.1 channel might be much clearer. Either way it is PCM and still sounds awesome.

Whole show was great but highlights for me were For Your Life which they never played live, Black Dog and Kashmir which was absolutely phenomenal. Buy this thing.

TC-P46G10 build date May 2009
Settings and Calibration Reports
post #94 of 112 Old 11-29-2012, 02:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
I have now watched the BD twice. Big Zep fan.

I second the last set of comments. The performance was remarkable given the limited time they had to put this together. I was concerned that this would be another live aid debacle.

Plant's voice was far better than i could have ever imagined. I ask him in 2009 if he thought he could have held that level of performance ( I had seen the you tube stuff) for a whole tour and he just smirked, suggesting no way ( we were drinking in a little bar in bar in Atlanta..but that is another story for another time).

Page and Jones were as sharp as ever. I miss this type of musical performance. No circus acts, no knuckle dragging ghetto degenerates, no support cast, just great musicians. Jimmy was born to be on stage with that double neck raised high in the air. It brought chills to my body to see him again in all his glory.

Jason. Filling the shoes of a minor diety is never easy. Jason did a workman's job on the drums, getting better as the concert progressed. I did miss his dad's unmatchable right foot and John's lightning fast triplet fills were not to be found...but he did a fine job under great pressure.

It is now 5 years later and the guys are 5 years older. We will never see this again. One last night of magic.

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

"There is another system"

Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-3D
All HD Modes: Blu Ray, HD DVD, DVHS

post #95 of 112 Old 11-29-2012, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone watch the rehearsal on the bonus DVD yet? During the last song (Rock and Roll) Robert falls backwards over one of the stage monitors! It is hilarious!

TC-P46G10 build date May 2009
Settings and Calibration Reports
post #96 of 112 Old 12-01-2012, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'd like to repeat SBTV's question...

"Does the video BluRay (not the audio only BD) also have 24/48 hi-res audio? Does it say anywhere on the cover or inside the cover?"

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #97 of 112 Old 12-04-2012, 12:35 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The return of Led Zep!! -- all of the sudden, they're thrust back in the limelight as recipients in Sunday's Kennedy Center Awards, and then with last night's appearance on fellow honor recipient David Letterman's 'Late Show'(!) Hopefully, they'll release a compilation of all the tribute performances from the awards on blu -- according to Jimmy Page, Ann & Nancy Wilson (of Heart fame, whom are longtime Zep fans) knocks it out of the park with a rousing rendition of 'Stairway To Heaven' cool.gif

HiDef S c o p e Fanboy-man
post #98 of 112 Old 12-04-2012, 01:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambientcafe View Post

Hopefully, they'll release a compilation of all the tribute performances from the awards on blu -- according to Jimmy Page, Ann & Nancy Wilson (of Heart fame, whom are longtime Zep fans) knocks it out of the park with a rousing rendition of 'Stairway To Heaven' cool.gif
Huh?
You mean they performed more songs that what was released on Celebration?confused.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #99 of 112 Old 12-07-2012, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Huh?
You mean they performed more songs that what was released on Celebration?confused.gif

He is referring to the tribute performances that took place at the Kennedy Center Honors.

Brian
post #100 of 112 Old 12-07-2012, 11:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post

He is referring to the tribute performances that took place at the Kennedy Center Honors.
Brian
Oh, OK, thanx for the info.

post #101 of 112 Old 12-08-2012, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 19
After hearing the CD's last week, I got to watch the Bluray in our Theater this afternoon. All I can say is what a fantastic performance!

It's amazing the music that just a trio of instruments can put out, and Plant sounded great. Very impressed with Jason Bonham. So much, I had to jump onto my drum set during Kashmir. I pale in comparison.

Where was the bass playing coming from when Jones was on keyboards? His left hand or his foot or wtf?

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
post #102 of 112 Old 12-08-2012, 08:00 PM

Liked: 10
Jones plays Organ as well, and uses his feet to play the Bass line. There is one shot during the show where they show his feet playing the keys.

Mark
post #103 of 112 Old 12-08-2012, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Here's the audio info...

English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 (48kHz, 16-bit)
English: LPCM 2.0 (48kHz, 16-bit)

The audio only Blu-ray has better quality. Even so, I think it's a better experience watching it rather than simply just listening to it.

The Blu-ray audio only disc has...

48K 24 bit PCM stereo and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround sound.

I can only assume the DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround sound is also 24 bit since it's not listed.

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #104 of 112 Old 12-08-2012, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor|WAR View Post

Finally received my deluxe edition copy yesterday and watched it last night.
The film is a spectacular production, and amazing to think they pulled off such a flawless performance in only a couple months of rehearsals and one show. I thought watching Jason play the songs was most interesting, as I was really routing for him the whole time. Must have been so damn nerve-racking for him not only to play the reunion show with the greatest hard rock band of all time with the whole world watching, but also to fill his father's place which whom he has lived in the shadow of his whole life. I can only imagine the immense relief he must have felt when the show was over and he knew he had nailed it.
The rest of the band played great for their ages and how long its been since they were together. No doubt they still have that great chemistry, though they certainly have lost some intensity. More so with Plant than Page or Jones, but that's understandable considering he's the vocalist. Really nothing he can do about getting old and losing his range. He did still sound like him though, and pulled it off while looking like he was enjoying it.
It kind of sucks they didn't want to tour. I almost think if the O2 show didn't go as well as it did and they didn't feel like they closed it out on such a high note they may have wanted to do more shows until they were satisfied. But at least they finally released the video for everyone to see.
As for the Blu-Ray, video looked great to me so no complaints there. Sound is what it is. Very powerful, but I guess the low end in the drums (kick drum/toms) might have been a little on the soft/muddy side, but I prefer listening to concert videos in 2.1 channel audio and the 5.1 channel might be much clearer. Either way it is PCM and still sounds awesome.
Whole show was great but highlights for me were For Your Life which they never played live, Black Dog and Kashmir which was absolutely phenomenal. Buy this thing.

From what I read both back in 2007 & more recently was that the one member who absolutely did not want to entertain the thought of a LZ tour was Plant. At the time of the O2 show, he was also deep into his Allison Krause and Band of Joy projects, not to mention his feeling that he would not be up to a LZ tour vocally (as Star56 touched on in an earlier post here). Recently, Plant has made statements in the press that he's down to work on new music with anybody, incl Page & Jones. But he seems disinterested in rehashing the hits on tour. Sounds like Plant suffers from the same apathy towards his past that David Gilmour does.

If anything, I would think a Jimmy Page tour with various musicians/vocalists is more likely.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #105 of 112 Old 12-09-2012, 12:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post

Here's the audio info...
English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 (48kHz, 16-bit)
English: LPCM 2.0 (48kHz, 16-bit)
That's sad...and irritating.mad.gifrolleyes.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

I would think a Jimmy Page tour with various musicians/vocalists is more likely.
I could go for that...and some studio stuff too.wink.gif

post #106 of 112 Old 02-04-2013, 11:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Finally got this at a reasonable price from BB with the DVD Trade-in Offer.

No question the guys were having a lot of fun on stage and it was great to see.
Plant did a fine job.
Unfortuately there was a lack of Page's vintage blistering solos.
Obviously, age slows everyone down.
Jason did a fine job as well, but it's easy to see why his daddy's death put an end to LZ.
He was simply irreplaceable.

The 5.1 MA audio is a little disappointing.
John Paul's bass line is very weak for some reason.
Perhaps someday a remaster will rectify this.
It's a shame this BD wasn't put out in 24 bit.....
Good concert atmosphere to the audio, however.cool.gif

Video is very good.

post #107 of 112 Old 02-04-2013, 10:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
A little off topic, but I ran into a 20-something young lady the other day that won the ticket lottery to go see the concert. She got two, sold one for $1,500 which funded her entire trip and then some.

From the sound of it, she didn't even sound like a huge fan either redface.gif

Ðave -
It was technically a single shenanigan, more like a hijink...

post #108 of 112 Old 02-05-2013, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 61
[quote name="oink" url="/t/1429169/led-zeppelin-celebration-day-coming-to-blu-ray-november-19-2012-looks-awesomely-promising/90#post_22922405"

The 5.1 MA audio is a little disappointing.
John Paul's bass line is very weak for some reason.
Perhaps someday a remaster will rectify this.
It's a shame this BD wasn't put out in 24 bit.....
Good concert atmosphere to the audio, however.cool.gif

Video is very good.[/quote]

Not so for the audio only BD which is 24 bit. The bass is so strong I had to turn down the level on my sub- a lot. At least it's not boomy.
post #109 of 112 Old 02-05-2013, 05:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

Not so for the audio only BD which is 24 bit. The bass is so strong I had to turn down the level on my sub- a lot.
Wow, that's interesting.
I bought the BD and 2 audio CD set....I'll check the CDs to see if the bass is stronger.

post #110 of 112 Old 02-05-2013, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 110
I haven't heard the BD/CD but I can definitely say that the bass is tight and terrific on the vinyl release. The entire show sounds like dynamite. Made me wish I could have been there. (Altho I was, back in the day.)

post #111 of 112 Old 02-05-2013, 11:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Wow, that's interesting.
I bought the BD and 2 audio CD set....I'll check the CDs to see if the bass is stronger.
Checked the CDs and the bass level is about the same as the BD's 5.1 MA.

post #112 of 112 Old 02-08-2013, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello everyone, haven't posted any thoughts on concerts for a while to lack of discs that I am into.

Well, after reading quite a few reviews of this BD shortly after it came out and even now, I was reluctant to purchase because of comments of thin, light, low, recessed bass( kick drum and bass). Well, I finally caved, dropped $50 for the BD,CD,DVD package,( only BD set available near me).

I have a half decent HT and I am very picky about AQ on concert discs especially ones with the bass/kick drum too far back in the mix or near non existent ( who the heck mixes this rubbish?).

Anyway, I was very surprised with the AQ on this BD, overall it was a very good board mix, MA 5.1 was great with very little crowd noise in the rears, very well balanced, no screaming lead guitar over whelming the rest of the band and although I would have liked a little more bass and kick drum up front and more pronounced, I thought it was very well done indeed, what a pleasure to listen too.

Also what surprised me was Plant' vocals which for the most part were spot on especially considering his age and the strain over the years on his vocal chords. Great show and I actually liked the way the video was shot, kind of a mix of seventies type footage and then full blown HD.

Highly recommended.

Cheers, Chris
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page