Led Zeppelin: 'Celebration Day' coming to Blu Ray NOVEMBER 19, 2012. Looks awesomely promising!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 112 Old 09-13-2012, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Yes, Zeppelin Fans, it looks like we are going to get the Reunion concert of 2007 in the Theaters next month and according to the British tabloids, on Blu Ray on NOVEMBER 19!!

I'm so pumped!!!! Huge!! I missed seeing these guys as a kid and have been disappointed ever since. THis is the next best thing to 'The Song Remains the Same'!

"While the countdown on Led Zeppelin‘s Facebook page is still stuck on No. 1, there are reports that the long-rumored release of the band’s 2007 show at the O2 Arena in London will take place first in theaters next month, and then on DVD in November. It seems their big announcement may have leaked.

A listing at Cineplex.com shows ‘Led Zeppelin: Celebration Day’ coming to theaters in “over 40 territories worldwide” on Oct. 17. While it’s not clear where those territories will be, it’s clear that the run is a limited engagement, perhaps one night only. The synopsis makes clear that it is indeed the 2007 show in honor of Atlantic Records founder Ahmet Ertegun that will be screened in high definition.

Yesterday the British newspaper the Sun may have scooped the band on the DVD and Blu-ray release date, reporting that both will be available on Nov. 22. While it’s not certain the Facebook countdown is leading to an announcement of how fans unable to score a ticket to the show at the O2 Arena can see the concert, it’s worth pointing out that Day 0 (Sept. 13) marks the fifth anniversary of when the band announced the show.

The 16 song set included many of the rock legend’s most well-known tracks, like ‘Kashmir,’ ‘Stairway to Heaven’ and ‘Rock and Roll.’ It was their first headlining show in 27 years, and included the three surviving members, with Jason Bonham replacing the late John Bonham."

Check out the YOUTUBE PROMO VIDEO for the MOVIE in OCTOBER!

Following is the track listing of the upcoming film, which will last just over two hours.

1. Good Times Bad Times

2. Ramble On

3. Black Dog

4. In My Time Of Dying

5. For Your Life

6. Trampled Under Foot

7. Nobody's Fault But Mine

8. No Quarter

9. Since I've Been Loving You

10. Dazed And Confused

11. Stairway To Heaven

12. The Song Remains The Same

13. Misty Mountain Hop

14. Kashmir

15. Whole Lotta Love

16. Rock And Roll.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/13/entertainment-us-ledzeppelin-idUSBRE88C0H220120913
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/music/4531876/Led-Zeppelin-to-fly-back-into-the-charts-with-new-DVD.html

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 112 Old 09-13-2012, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Day one purchase here. We picked up Plant's last Blu Ray and have really enjoyed it. This looks to be even better. I just hope the audio is top notch. Can't wait!

post #3 of 112 Old 09-13-2012, 09:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
It's about frickin' time!
I can't understand why there was such a delay...frown.gif

Looking at the songs listed, I am a little disappointed.
I already have numerous live takes of nearly all of those songs.
It would have been great to have some of their other great stuff
God knows they have a bunch to choose from.wink.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #4 of 112 Old 09-13-2012, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Must own, are they taking preorders yet biggrin.gif
post #5 of 112 Old 09-13-2012, 10:41 AM

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

It's about frickin' time!
I can't understand why there was such a delay...frown.gif
Looking at the songs listed, I am a little disappointed.
I already have numerous live takes of nearly all of those songs.
It would have been great to have some of their other great stuff
God knows they have a bunch to choose from.wink.gif

Agree... How The West Was Won + Song Remains the Same covers most, if not all, of the list.

Anyone know what the entire set list was vs. what made it to disc?

Just hope the A/V is reference quality!

post #6 of 112 Old 09-13-2012, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 34
About time.....I'll settle for a good 1080i transfer if a 1080P is not available, however the audio on this BD better be top notch reference quality!! Anyone know who was/is responsible for the audio & video transfer to BD?

Paul
post #7 of 112 Old 09-13-2012, 11:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAd13 View Post

Agree... How The West Was Won + Song Remains the Same covers most, if not all, of the list.
Exactly.

How about some of their great acoustical stuff?
I saw them at the L.A. Forum back in the 70's and their 2nd act had the guys sit on stools and play about 1/2 hour of the acoustical songs (Battle of Evermore, etc.).
Fantastic concert, BTW.

Oh well, I'll take what I can get.

post #8 of 112 Old 09-13-2012, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidefpaul View Post

About time.....I'll settle for a good 1080i transfer if a 1080P is not available, however the audio on this BD better be top notch reference quality!! Anyone know who was/is responsible for the audio & video transfer to BD?
Paul

I guarantee you that Pagey had a BIG hand in the audio!
post #9 of 112 Old 09-13-2012, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anyone know what the entire set list was vs. what made it to disc?
Just hope the A/V is reference quality!

I believe the song list that The Bland posted is indeed ALL the song Zep performed that night. Here's a UK review of the actual concert from that night and the reviewer lists all the songs and comments on them:

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/Artists/L/Led_Zeppelin/ConcertReviews/2007/12/10/4717249.html
post #10 of 112 Old 09-13-2012, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidefpaul View Post

the audio on this BD better be top notch reference quality!!
Paul
+1
No excuses... they knew they were recording one of the greatest bands of all time- not some 70's has-beens!

That's one thing that bugs me- the original zeppelin albums were not good examples of top notch recordings back in the day (to me they seem generally rather flat)- and the various re-masters are hardly better. Imagine if Zeppelin was around today with modern recording equipment? They'd have to put Bonzo in the next building to isolate his pounding!
Saw the tribute band "Get The Led Out" during the summer- and the songs seemed very fresh using modern equipment...

Very excited to see some new Zeppelin material coming out....

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #11 of 112 Old 09-13-2012, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Exactly.
How about some of their great acoustical stuff?
I saw them at the L.A. Forum back in the 70's and their 2nd act had the guys sit on stools and play about 1/2 hour of the acoustical songs (Battle of Evermore, etc.).
Fantastic concert, BTW.
Oh well, I'll take what I can get.

Just remember this was a one-off concert to honor Ahmet Ertegun, so we don't know whether they were allowed time (or even wanted to do more) than what we'll get in November? Keep in mind there were other acts (Foreigner and Paul Rodgers to name two) that performed that night prior to Zep. As you said, let's take what we can get. The Song Remains the Same was fun in its day (still is), but this should be fantastic.
post #12 of 112 Old 09-13-2012, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150zx View Post

...The Song Remains the Same was fun in its day (still is)...
Our local small screen independent theater used to show "The Song Remains the Same" for $1 at midnight on Saturday's for several years (along with $1 screenings of Rocky Horror) back in the day. We used to walk down the street from the bar- right into the theater at midnight for some Zeppelin goodness! Ahhh- now that was some fun!

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...."

post #13 of 112 Old 09-13-2012, 11:55 AM

Liked: 10
Presently on the band's official website they have hyperlinks to the movie theater (cinema) chains that are handling distribution. Sure hope they add a large chain in the USA. Presently they have some mid- and smaller-sized movie chains listed in the USA.

If you also happen to be in Seattle, WA, USA like I am, I encourage you to take the time and send a web-form message to Landmark Theaters on their corporate (movie chain) website to request a showing in the metro Seattle area on October 17 etc. According to their webpage, the Led Zeppelin "Celebration Day" concert film will show in Denver, San Francisco, etc. but not Seattle. Get Out The Vote. Hopefully they are in the midst of arrangements since the announcement was so recent.
post #14 of 112 Old 09-13-2012, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I saw Led Zep in Syracuse aud in the 70's. It was the most overwhelming show I have ever seen. They were so present, everyone just sat down. It's hard to put into words what I saw that night. when you went to a concert then, there was all sorts of activity, yelling, jumping around, etc. This was different. I don't know why, but that's the way it was all night. ( 1st time we heard STH) they were promoting the Black Dog album then. I have seen the same show at MSG bits a parts, and it was not the same. All in all, it was like I judged every show on that after. Of course it was the best rock show ever. Because of that, and that night,
why the band mezmorized everyone I still don't know.
post #15 of 112 Old 09-13-2012, 12:38 PM

Liked: 33
Quote:

I guarantee you that Pagey had a BIG hand in the audio!
JP was doing surround in the 70's. The piece with his bow and guitar, he would hit the note, stick the bow up and the note would sound off in the back. LIKE an echo, but not.
post #16 of 112 Old 09-13-2012, 12:39 PM

Liked: 17
um, yes please
post #17 of 112 Old 09-13-2012, 01:49 PM

Liked: 52
Funny story and I’m going to age myself a bit... but never got to see them live b/c I’m a child of the 80’s. One day when my brother and I were teenagers we asked our Dad if he’s ever heard of Led Zeppelin (as we just found out about them, probably introduced by Stairway… can’t remember). He said, “hold on,” went down stairs, came back and said, “you mean this Led Zeppelin?” He had ZOSO (aka 4) on LP! Dad scored some major “cool points” that day!

post #18 of 112 Old 09-13-2012, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's great this set is finally getting a release but for anyone familiar with Led Zeppelin at their live peak (or really any time before Bonham died), this show was a bit of a letdown, mostly because Plant's voice was (and is) just a shadow of what it was in the 70's. They had to tune down almost a full step to accommodate his limitations and apparently, it drove home (at least for Robert) that he was not only mentally and stylistically past performing most of the old Led Zep catalog but physically as well, that he refused to do a full tour in '08 with the band.

It's a great near-greatest hits setlist and I'll certainly pick up the Blu-ray day one, but for anyone looking to get a first look at the band at their peak, check out the 2 disc live career overview "DVD" set. Even at the band's twilight in '79, a song like "In The Evening" was simply amazing live.

BTW, my one Led Zep story... I was offered a chance to see them when I was just out of High School when they last played Los Angeles in '77 and passed because I couldn't come up with the $20 my friend wanted for the ticket and gas to the LA Forum.
post #19 of 112 Old 09-13-2012, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyslammer View Post

It's great this set is finally getting a release but for anyone familiar with Led Zeppelin at their live peak (or really any time before Bonham died), this show was a bit of a letdown, mostly because Plant's voice was (and is) just a shadow of what it was in the 70's. They had to tune down almost a full step to accommodate his limitations and apparently, it drove home (at least for Robert) that he was not only mentally and stylistically past performing most of the old Led Zep catalog but physically as well, that he refused to do a full tour in '08 with the band.

That's my problem with the set as well. I have been listening to this music since '69 or '70. To hear the songs in the wrong key just kills it for me.

I would probably see this is a theater if it plays in my town (not likely) or rent the BluRay, but it's no sale for me.

I did see Plant/Page when they toured in the 90's, and it was the best show I have ever seen, excellent set list, and as far as I can remember, they did not have to tune down for anything.

Sucks getting old. :-)

Brian
post #20 of 112 Old 09-13-2012, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

Funny story and I’m going to age myself a bit... but never got to see them live b/c I’m a child of the 80’s. One day when my brother and I were teenagers we asked our Dad if he’s ever heard of Led Zeppelin (as we just found out about them, probably introduced by Stairway… can’t remember). He said, “hold on,” went down stairs, came back and said, “you mean this Led Zeppelin?” He had ZOSO (aka 4) on LP! Dad scored some major “cool points” that day!

Funny...I've got all my Zep LP's still in the basement! Played the dickens out of those things in the early 80's!!! Must have stared at those albums covers a million times while listening to them!!!
post #21 of 112 Old 09-13-2012, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Liked: 12
Time for a GREAT TRUE story:)

Two years ago I am in Atlanta for a academic conference. I wake up on Saturday and some of my colleagues are in a small Irish pub downtown (we were staying in the heart of downtown).

I enter this tiny pub and there are about 8 people. A few guys sitting at the bar and my friends in a booth. I approach the bar and I notice one of the guys has red leather shoes. I also notice he has shaggy bond hair and looks out of place. I can only see him from the back.

I grab my beverage and sit down. Suddenly one of my friends says " why is the bartender taking a picture with that guy?" I look...and there is Robert Plant, six feet away from me. I am 56 years old.....I suddenly start acting like a 12 year old girl spotting Justin Bieber....." ROBERT PLANT I scream....THATS F@cking ROBERT PLANT!!!!" I mean he here I am in a little bar...and suddenly I am in front of one of my teen heros. Robert smiled...looked shocked at this 6'1" 240lbs crazy man screaming "Robert f@cking Plant"....shook hands with a few of us...and ran out the door.

I did snap a quick pic of him before he escaped smile.gif

Plant is in my top 5 of guys to run into in a bar. Ringo, McCartney, Springsteen, Townsend would be my others.

What a day that was smile.gif Yes this is a day one purchase for me also!

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

"There is another system"

Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-3D
All HD Modes: Blu Ray, HD DVD, DVHS

post #22 of 112 Old 09-13-2012, 06:36 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 401
No brainer first day buy. wink.gif

We just saw Phish a few weekends ago and deep 2nd set they broke out a No Quarter cover that was fantastic!

Looking forward to this disc.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #23 of 112 Old 09-13-2012, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Screw the coulda, shoulda, woulda on this release.

It is what it is and if you're a Zeppelin fan you'll buy it.

Personally, this is a huge release for me that will get played and replayed.

Cannot flippin' wait!

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #24 of 112 Old 09-13-2012, 07:02 PM

Liked: 12
I also saw the Plant/Page tour in the 90's and still to this day, was the best concert I have seen. I remember walking out of the show with my friends and we were all just looking at each other and one of my friends said "that was it" and we all agreed we had never seen better.
post #25 of 112 Old 09-13-2012, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

That's one thing that bugs me- the original zeppelin albums were not good examples of top notch recordings back in the day (to me they seem generally rather flat)- and the various re-masters are hardly better.

I strongly disagree with your opinion, especially regarding LZ3 onwards. IMO, most of Led Zeppelin's studio albums are actually excellent examples of what a hard rock band *should* sound like, both in the way the band (especially Bonham) was mic'd and recorded as well as how Page produced the records often with numerous complicated guitar overdubs. It may not sound great on an iPod through earbuds, but on a decent stereo system and speakers or quality headphones, they more than hold up against anything recorded during the 60's through late 70's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

Imagine if Zeppelin was around today with modern recording equipment? They'd have to put Bonzo in the next building to isolate his pounding!

No, more than likely, everything would be overdriven and brick-walled. See recent releases by bands like Van Halen, Rush and Killing Joke for examples of bands that have fallen victim to "modern" recording and producing fads.
BigDad likes this.
post #26 of 112 Old 09-13-2012, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Like Quad4.0 said...I saw Zep in Tampa Stadium on May 5th 1973. There was never anyone that came close to how good they sounded. Here's a pic of the crowd that day/night. I was off to the right of the picture near the bleachers about 1/2 way up the photo.

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=3482

As for The Song Remains The Same, this was not the Zep I saw in concert!! They even admitted that they were exhausted the night they filmed. The only live release that was is How The West Was Won. To see them is to be critical of anything else! As for this release lets hope it's done well in all respects. I've seen the Youtube videos of this concert and can only imagine what the Blu Ray will be like!

Jeff
post #27 of 112 Old 09-14-2012, 12:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Just remember this was a one-off concert to honor Ahmet Ertegun, so we don't know whether they were allowed time (or even wanted to do more) than what we'll get in November? Keep in mind there were other acts (Foreigner and Paul Rodgers to name two) that performed that night prior to Zep.
True.

Quote:

I was offered a chance to see them when I was just out of High School when they last played Los Angeles in '77 and passed because I couldn't come up with the $20 my friend wanted for the ticket and gas to the LA Forum.
Some friend....charging for gas?
Gas "donations" were always appreciated, but...rolleyes.gif

post #28 of 112 Old 09-14-2012, 03:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:

It's a great near-greatest hits setlist and I'll certainly pick up the Blu-ray day one, but for anyone looking to get a first look at the band at their peak, check out the 2 disc live career overview "DVD" set. Even at the band's twilight in '79, a song like "In The Evening" was simply amazing live.
BTW, my one Led Zep story... I was offered a chance to see them when I was just out of High School when they last played Los Angeles in '77 and passed because I couldn't come up with the $20 my friend wanted for the ticket and gas to the LA Forum.

That's a good heads up regarding Plant's vocal abilities for the show.

I have to admit it's something that drives me a bit nuts, when the age limitations of a singer start becoming that obvious and intrusive. I like old Elton John stuff somewhat, but when I listen to him trying to perform his hits
today I just cringe. His range has lowered so much and is so much more limited, and his choosing lower notes for all the classic melodies just alters all the songs and that's all I notice. (Hell, even Geddy Lee of Rush now suffers this limitation and I find it harder to listen to him. Some may hate his banshee wail days, but listening to the old stuff he just effortlessly careened up the scale and nailed his notes, live. Doesn't sound like the same guy at this point).
post #29 of 112 Old 09-14-2012, 06:33 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:

I have heard this mentioned many times at this point, so I am definitely keeping my expectations in check. I am certainly not expecting anywhere near the best live Zeppelin show I have heard, but it will still be fun to see this show and appreciate it for what it is even if they are not what they once were which is to be expected with the inevitable getting old train. How about Jimmy Page? How bad is he showing his age on the guitar in this show?

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #30 of 112 Old 09-14-2012, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 129
Montage gives me a friggen headache. I hope your disc isn't shot like this, it damned annoying.

Klipsch Image Ones
Klipsch x11i
Rega P5/Groovetracer/Denon DL-103R
Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre/SUT
Pioneer SC35
Bel Canto REF 500M
Klipsch Cornwall/Crites/Aletheia Audio
Klisch RC64II
Klipsch SW-115
OPPO BDP-93
Samsung PN64D8000
Reply Blu-ray Software