NetFlix RedBox BD's Without DTS-HD Master Audio / DD 5.1 Instead - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #451 of 992 Old 10-06-2012, 09:19 AM
Member
 
Shalimar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: 42
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

So far, only one studio is doing it and only three titles - Lionsgate. You can go back to page 1 to review which titles.

Thnx for the info, I'd say we should all boycott everything from LG for now then.. since all they care about is $$ take $$ away from them.
Shalimar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #452 of 992 Old 10-06-2012, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 10,645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalimar View Post

Thnx for the info, I'd say we should all boycott everything from LG for now then.. since all they care about is $$ take $$ away from them.

Lionsgate is doing nothing more than most publicly held companies .. they are trying to maximize shareholder value and profit .. if we were to boycott every company that did that, we'd be practically consuming nothing ..

You know, folks will not blink an eye to drop good money on a smart phone and an expensive monthly contract .. we pay near $4.00 a gallon on gas .. it's nothing to have a nice dinner at a restaurant that costs $50.00 + .. yet, we are outraged over a cheap BD rental that somehow makes us feel like we've been short changed ..

Uncle Willie


Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is offline  
post #453 of 992 Old 10-06-2012, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pbmpharmacist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,802
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Lionsgate is doing nothing more than most publicly held companies .. they are trying to maximize shareholder value and profit .. if we were to boycott every company that did that, we'd be practically consuming nothing ..
You know, folks will not blink an eye to drop good money on a smart phone and an expensive monthly contract .. we pay near $4.00 a gallon on gas .. it's nothing to have a nice dinner at a restaurant that costs $50.00 + .. yet, we are outraged over a cheap BD rental that somehow makes us feel like we've been short changed ..

The reason to be angry is that it is only AFTER the fact that we find out that the BD we have rented is stripped down. In your other examples, we know going in what we are going to pay. If I pay $4 a gallon for 87 octane gas and I get 86 octane and my engine pings I will be angry that I didn't get what I thought I was paying for. Same with the Blu-ray. If Lionsgate wants to do this, the disc should be labeled/marketed in a way that we know it's stripped down before we rent.
pbmpharmacist is offline  
post #454 of 992 Old 10-06-2012, 12:59 PM
Member
 
Shalimar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: 42
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Lionsgate is doing nothing more than most publicly held companies .. they are trying to maximize shareholder value and profit .. if we were to boycott every company that did that, we'd be practically consuming nothing ..
You know, folks will not blink an eye to drop good money on a smart phone and an expensive monthly contract .. we pay near $4.00 a gallon on gas .. it's nothing to have a nice dinner at a restaurant that costs $50.00 + .. yet, we are outraged over a cheap BD rental that somehow makes us feel like we've been short changed ..

Tes we pay insane $ for physical goods that have associated costs to actually make. However why should ANYONE be happy about being effectively screwed by the "producers / studios" when they intentionally handicap the product we pay for.. esp w/o clear warnings that they have done so.

Sorry but your argument holds no water..

If you go to your local gas station and pay $4/gal... for what you expect would be say 93 octane... but they actually serve you 87 octane instead w/o warning... would you not feel ripped off? Same ****.. diff day.

What they are doing once again is underhanded and despicable.

Oh and as fro "expensive $ contracts etc" for smart phones.. why do you think competition has entered the markets.. giving us CHOICE.. No longer are we bound and gagged by such BS.

Same as now with the "new age" we actually can fight back.


And once again you ignore the other actions of such "studios" etc.. trying to eliminate 1st sale doctrine is just one primary example.


How would you like it if say you bought a new GM car.. (just random pick).. and they told you you CANNOT resell it period w/o their express permission etc etc..

You'd be royally PO'd

But somehow the same sort of BS is perfectly acceptable when it comes to "content".

Grow up.. and smell the "coffee"

Fact is we as consumers do have RIGHTS.. and the "big" business types are desperately trying to eliminate those via moronic laws.

I'd continue.. but if you are either unaware enough or too damned oblivious to clue in and actually learn about what is trying to be done behind closed doors... well there is no helping you.\\
Shalimar is offline  
post #455 of 992 Old 10-06-2012, 01:00 PM
Member
 
Shalimar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: 42
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmpharmacist View Post

The reason to be angry is that it is only AFTER the fact that we find out that the BD we have rented is stripped down. In your other examples, we know going in what we are going to pay. If I pay $4 a gallon for 87 octane gas and I get 86 octane and my engine pings I will be angry that I didn't get what I thought I was paying for. Same with the Blu-ray. If Lionsgate wants to do this, the disc should be labeled/marketed in a way that we know it's stripped down before we rent.

Damn... you beat me too it! :P

lol
Shalimar is offline  
post #456 of 992 Old 10-06-2012, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 10,645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 609
My commentary is nothing more than that, commentary .. if you folks want to go off on rant, that's fine .. I'm not ranting nor will I join in on yours .. I'm 65 years old and have been in this hobby since before the term Home Theater was ever coined .. so, do me a favor, climb off the high horse .. it does not suit you ..

1) Rants are not going to change anyones mind one way or the other ..
2) If you've followed this thread, then you know my thoughts from the get go, since I started the thread
3) I've said all along, I'd prefer the full meal deal BD
4) NF clearly shows what the encode is .. nobody is hiding anything and there is no conspiracy
5) If you are truly outraged, direct your emotions at the Studios .. it's their deal ..

Uncle Willie


Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is offline  
post #457 of 992 Old 10-06-2012, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Xylon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Liecheinstein
Posts: 7,380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The public needs to be informed about this issue.
Xylon is offline  
post #458 of 992 Old 10-06-2012, 01:41 PM
Member
 
Shalimar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: 42
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

My commentary is nothing more than that, commentary .. if you folks want to go off on rant, that's fine .. I'm not ranting nor will I join in on yours .. I'm 65 years old and have been in this hobby since before the term Home Theater was ever coined .. so, do me a favor, climb off the high horse .. it does not suit you ..
1) Rants are not going to change anyones mind one way or the other ..
2) If you've followed this thread, then you know my thoughts from the get go, since I started the thread
3) I've said all along, I'd prefer the full meal deal BD
4) NF clearly shows what the encode is .. nobody is hiding anything and there is no conspiracy
5) If you are truly outraged, direct your emotions at the Studios .. it's their deal ..

I'll skip most of this.. but say #5 is the absolute truth hands down.
Shalimar is offline  
post #459 of 992 Old 10-06-2012, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 10,645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Lionsgate Contact Info at this link ..

http://www.lionsgatepublicity.com/

Uncle Willie


Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is offline  
post #460 of 992 Old 10-06-2012, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 10,645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 609
I'm going to add the following .. selecting one film, Hunger Games, out of the few we've identified on the thread ..

At last count, Hunger Games had 4 different retail packs ..that I know of ..

1) The Target Deluxe Edition includes a collectible case and forty-five minutes of exclusive content. The exclusive content includes: Tribute Video Diaries, Stories from the Tributes, Tribute Biographies, Tribute Photo Gallery.
2) The Walmart Edition includes: The Stunts of the Hunger Games, Capitol Couture: The Styles of Panem, VUDU, Digital Copy, Mockingjay pendant.
3) The Costco box set includes: Digital Copy, Parachute necklace, District 12 Tribute Backpack, Keychain.
4) Best Buy has another box set that includes a four-disc set with exclusive special features and a collectible.

At last count, Lionsgate has sold over 4 million packs .. roughly two thirds DVD, one third BD .. their publicly held stock has been doing very well .. Lionsgate sees Hunger Games as their Harry Potter series .. and they are going to do everything possible to cash in .. Lionsgate also bought Summit Entertainment earlier this year .. Summit, of course, did Twilight ..

Uncle Willie


Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is offline  
post #461 of 992 Old 10-06-2012, 02:14 PM
Member
 
Shalimar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: 42
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I'm going to add the following .. selecting one film, Hunger Games, out of the few we've identified on the thread ..
At last count, Hunger Games had 4 different retail packs ..that I know of ..
1) The Target Deluxe Edition includes a collectible case and forty-five minutes of exclusive content. The exclusive content includes: Tribute Video Diaries, Stories from the Tributes, Tribute Biographies, Tribute Photo Gallery.
2) The Walmart Edition includes: The Stunts of the Hunger Games, Capitol Couture: The Styles of Panem, VUDU, Digital Copy, Mockingjay pendant.
3) The Costco box set includes: Digital Copy, Parachute necklace, District 12 Tribute Backpack, Keychain.
4) Best Buy has another box set that includes a four-disc set with exclusive special features and a collectible.
At last count, Lionsgate has sold over 4 million packs .. roughly two thirds DVD, one third BD .. their publicly held stock has been doing very well .. Lionsgate sees Hunger Games as their Harry Potter series .. and they are going to do everything possible to cash in .. Lionsgate also bought Summit Entertainment earlier this year .. Summit, of course, did Twilight ..


And hence why myself and others refuse to buy their crap.
Shalimar is offline  
post #462 of 992 Old 10-06-2012, 02:58 PM
Senior Member
 
quad4.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: here
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I see at the website 4 new hunger games films planned
quad4.0 is offline  
post #463 of 992 Old 10-06-2012, 03:04 PM
Member
 
Shalimar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: 42
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by quad4.0 View Post

I see at the website 4 new hunger games films planned
\


Sadly typical... esp when the writing/etc staff is going to hell. Everything fr the "nickle and dime" for the studios right?
Shalimar is offline  
post #464 of 992 Old 10-06-2012, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 10,645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalimar View Post

And hence why myself and others refuse to buy their crap.

I don't think that's hurting them at this point ..

Uncle Willie


Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is offline  
post #465 of 992 Old 10-06-2012, 03:24 PM
Newbie
 
terryaaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I didn't read this whole string, but I think there is good news on the audio front.
Weather the studio is playing games with who gets what sound; and in some cases only the theater gets the whole nine yards, or they just didn't spend the extra bucks on anything more than 5.1 or even stereo.
What you need to know is that sound technology companies like Dolby and DTS, have not been happy with the situation for a few years now. Hollywood dragging their buts on audio technology that is.
It's kinda hard to sell 9.2 or 11.2 when you can't get the movie made in even 7.1
What's on the horizon is John Q Public digitally re-mastering movie soundtracks. There is some software available now, and all the pieces to make a state of the art "movie audio re-mastering suite, are available. (how about 13.4)
How I envision this working, since it could take an entire weekend for one to do a movie; is that many individuals or groups would become known for their Movie audio remastering. Like DJ mixes.You think you've heard some grate movie sound tracks, wait till you hear what John Q public can do! Of course this gives everyone a new reason to go looking for pirated moveis, because the best sound track is on the free down load. Having read a lot of this string, I can hear some of you cheering. I call this the"Sony get your act together, or we'll get it together for you" approach. I can't wait to get started. Of course I would insist you send the "studio" their royalty. Haven t found that address yet, but I know you are all honest people. Tell them you prefer the "Movie Master Terry" mix.
terryaaa is offline  
post #466 of 992 Old 10-06-2012, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mtrot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: east texas
Posts: 1,554
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I'm going to add the following .. selecting one film, Hunger Games, out of the few we've identified on the thread ..
At last count, Hunger Games had 4 different retail packs ..that I know of ..
1) The Target Deluxe Edition includes a collectible case and forty-five minutes of exclusive content. The exclusive content includes: Tribute Video Diaries, Stories from the Tributes, Tribute Biographies, Tribute Photo Gallery.
2) The Walmart Edition includes: The Stunts of the Hunger Games, Capitol Couture: The Styles of Panem, VUDU, Digital Copy, Mockingjay pendant.
3) The Costco box set includes: Digital Copy, Parachute necklace, District 12 Tribute Backpack, Keychain.
4) Best Buy has another box set that includes a four-disc set with exclusive special features and a collectible.
At last count, Lionsgate has sold over 4 million packs .. roughly two thirds DVD, one third BD .. their publicly held stock has been doing very well .. Lionsgate sees Hunger Games as their Harry Potter series .. and they are going to do everything possible to cash in .. Lionsgate also bought Summit Entertainment earlier this year .. Summit, of course, did Twilight ..

Well maybe if they "cash in" they will get enough dough to remaster the great epic, Mountains of the Moon, and give it a proper Blu-ray release.

I wrote them to let them know I would definitely purchase a Mountains of the Moon Blu-ray disc, as well inform them that downgrading the audio quality on Netflix Blu-ray titles will in no way cause me to purchase even one more title.

mtrot is offline  
post #467 of 992 Old 10-07-2012, 04:04 AM
Member
 
See The Light's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

I'd like the idea of buy used BD discs. Studios sure won't like this smile.gif Game Studios already used various tricks on a lot of new console games so that you can't buy a used game disc and expect the same value. For example, EA requires you to register the disc serial number to the game console. Once it is done, you can't play the same game disc on different consoles for online gaming. Theoritically, movie studios can explorit the BD-Live feature to do the same thing.

Why should these studios stop there......

Why don't these studios, for rentals, put in ads ----during---- the film, that, like at the beginning of many films, ads that you ---cannot--- fast forward through. Yes, why didn't those greedy f****** think of that before ! ! ! ON all rentals, imbeded ads ---during--- the film. If that's the only way they package the rental, then the (dumb) audience has no other choice, but to watch the film that way.....

Or, buy it, "during the movie" ad free.

Cable Choice is the only choice I want to make !!
See The Light is offline  
post #468 of 992 Old 10-07-2012, 04:13 AM
Member
 
See The Light's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryaaa View Post

What's on the horizon is John Q Public digitally re-mastering movie soundtracks. There is some software available now, and all the pieces to make a state of the art "movie audio re-mastering suite, are available. (how about 13.4)
How I envision this working, since it could take an entire weekend for one to do a movie; is that many individuals or groups would become known for their Movie audio remastering. Like DJ mixes.You think you've heard some grate movie sound tracks, wait till you hear what John Q public can do!

That's interesting . . . . .

I've often mused that record labels should release the separate audio tracks for certain albums, and then let the consumer mix their favorite album, as they see fit (for home use, of course !)

Cable Choice is the only choice I want to make !!
See The Light is offline  
post #469 of 992 Old 10-07-2012, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 10,645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post

Well maybe if they "cash in" they will get enough dough to remaster the great epic, Mountains of the Moon, and give it a proper Blu-ray release.
I wrote them to let them know I would definitely purchase a Mountains of the Moon Blu-ray disc, as well inform them that downgrading the audio quality on Netflix Blu-ray titles will in no way cause me to purchase even one more title.

So you would exclude yourself from a studios entire catalog over a few BD's with DD instead of HD Audio on a rental BD only .. ?? Even if Lionsgate suddenly DID a remaster of MOTM .. ?? Your post seems to contradict itself ... am I missing something .. ??

Uncle Willie


Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is offline  
post #470 of 992 Old 10-07-2012, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member
 
bruceames's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: San Rafael, CA
Posts: 790
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by See The Light View Post

Why should these studios stop there......
Why don't these studios, for rentals, put in ads ----during---- the film, that, like at the beginning of many films, ads that you ---cannot--- fast forward through. Yes, why didn't those greedy f****** think of that before ! ! ! ON all rentals, imbeded ads ---during--- the film. If that's the only way they package the rental, then the (dumb) audience has no other choice, but to watch the film that way.....
Or, buy it, "during the movie" ad free.

That would be hilarious, and yet even so at $1.50 would still a good deal.

Let's face it, the studios don't care about OD (optical disc) rental anymore and in fact it could be said they would rather see it die a quick death rather than continue to be a thorn in the side of sell through. The primary reason why it's still as relevant as it is today is because of cheap prices and being the only way to rent new releases. So far this year OD rental is down over 25% from last year (according to the DEG report), and yet you hear of no studio publicly worrying about falling OD rental revenue. On the contrary, it's all about maintaining or stemming the decline of sell through.
bruceames is offline  
post #471 of 992 Old 10-07-2012, 09:46 AM
Member
 
Viper359's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
At first, I wasn't ok with this, then I thought about it, from a Canadian perspective, and now, couldn't care. Netflix here has to strip and compress everything to give the smallest amount of bandwidth per movie. Its horrid quality to due absolute garbage monthly bandwidth limits. Here you cannot rent discs by mail with netflix. There are a few online companies you can however. Netflix and other companies have taken a huge chunk of disc sales apparently. Its nearly impossible to find a video rental store in my area, they all went out of business. Piracy was supposed to have killed hollywood years ago, clearly that didn't happen. Hollywood and recording studio's have spent the last 10 plus years trying to stop piracy rather than embrace the online, instant access. For those that really want the HD audio stream, Hollywood just pushed some to downloading their content in the not so legal fashion, rather than rent, and support the larger industry itself.

Lets also be realistic, a great portion of the population most likely wouldn't notice the missing HD track, because they don't use it in their home. I bet the numbers who don't would be rather large. Someone earlier mentioned release day prices with DVD's, used to be 19.99 or so. Yes, they did, and after that, prices went back to pretty much to what they are now. With that being said, blu ray prices seem to fall a lot faster than DVD prices ever did, even TV shows at least here. I often pick up movies around the 15-20 mark about a month after release.

Hollywood is trying to get every penny they can, because they feel piracy is hurting them. It is, and it should. Hollywood failed to keep up with what consumers want, and how they want it. Hollywood believes they still call the shots. It is sad they have not clued in. For example, that nice little digital copy they give you when you buy a blu ray, that copy is SD. Why would I want a SD copy of a HD movie? I have less than a year to get it, sometimes less. I had a month for a title I bought a week ago, as it was almost a year old release. I still buy the physical media, but I usually rip it to a hard drive before I even watch it, so it can be watched anywhere in my home, by anyone.

This is nothing more than Hollywood trying to grab every last cent they can, power to them. Evenutally, the big studios will either adapt, or go broke. More and more people turn to piracy because they are just sick and tired of all the crap thrust upon them. All the warnings, all the controls or lack of, etc, punish the buyer, that seems to be Hollywoods take.
Viper359 is offline  
post #472 of 992 Old 10-07-2012, 10:04 AM
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
20110.gif
Lee Stewart is offline  
post #473 of 992 Old 10-07-2012, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mtrot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: east texas
Posts: 1,554
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

So you would exclude yourself from a studios entire catalog over a few BD's with DD instead of HD Audio on a rental BD only .. ?? Even if Lionsgate suddenly DID a remaster of MOTM .. ?? Your post seems to contradict itself ... am I missing something .. ??

Huh? I am not going to "exclude myself" from any studio's catalog. All I am saying is that they are not going to influence me to purchase a title(versus only renting it) by either the 28 day delay or by "crippling" the audio quality on Netflix titles, if that is why they do these things. I am going to buy whatever movies I deem to be worth spending $25 or more on, which is usually going to be those titles I am sure I will watch multiple times. I just threw the MOTM request in my email as a suggestion, and to let them know how great a film I think it is.

Now, regarding downgraded Netflix titles, if I am renting them to check them out because I did not see them at a movie theater, which is mostly the case these days, I will just live with them being DD 5.1. I won't be happy about it, but it will not get me to buy it because I'd just have to hear it in DTS-Master audio! But, if it is a movie I really want to own, I will purchase it, and the lossless audio will be a treat.

mtrot is offline  
post #474 of 992 Old 10-07-2012, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 10,645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper359 View Post

This is nothing more than Hollywood trying to grab every last cent they can, power to them. Evenutally, the big studios will either adapt, or go broke. More and more people turn to piracy because they are just sick and tired of all the crap thrust upon them. All the warnings, all the controls or lack of, etc, punish the buyer, that seems to be Hollywoods take.

I myself think the pirates are freeloaders and thieves .. they feel they are entitled to something free .. and thus, the lost revenue is then attempted to be made up by the studios by costing the rest of us more money .. folks should not defend the theft of content ..

Uncle Willie


Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is offline  
post #475 of 992 Old 10-07-2012, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 10,645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post

Huh? I am not going to "exclude myself" from any studio's catalog. All I am saying is that they are not going to influence me to purchase a title(versus only renting it) by either the 28 day delay or by "crippling" the audio quality on Netflix titles, if that is why they do these things. I am going to buy whatever movies I deem to be worth spending $25 or more on, which is usually going to be those titles I am sure I will watch multiple times. I just threw the MOTM request in my email as a suggestion, and to let them know how great a film I think it is.

"as well inform them that downgrading the audio quality on Netflix Blu-ray titles will in no way cause me to purchase even one more title"

OK .. it sounded like you were saying you would not purchase one more title ..

Uncle Willie


Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is offline  
post #476 of 992 Old 10-07-2012, 10:24 AM
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I myself think the pirates are freeloaders and thieves .. they feel they are entitled to something free .. and thus, the lost revenue is then attempted to be made up by the studios by costing the rest of us more money .. folks should not defend the theft of content ..

It's no different in the real world vs. cyberspace:

Shoplifting Statistics
Quote:
More than $13 billion worth of goods are stolen from retailers each year. That's more than $35 million per day.

There are approximately 27 million shoplifters (or 1 in 11 people) in our nation today. More than 10 million people have been caught shoplifting in the last five years.

http://www.shopliftingprevention.org/whatnaspoffers/nrc/publiceducstats.htm
Lee Stewart is offline  
post #477 of 992 Old 10-07-2012, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 10,645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

20110.gif

While I appreciate the info, I'd be interested in seeing some 2011 or 2012 numbers ..

Uncle Willie


Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is offline  
post #478 of 992 Old 10-07-2012, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 10,645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

It's no different in the real world vs. cyberspace:
Shoplifting Statistics
http://www.shopliftingprevention.org/whatnaspoffers/nrc/publiceducstats.htm

Of course, no news there .. just more freeloaders ...

Uncle Willie


Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is offline  
post #479 of 992 Old 10-07-2012, 10:28 AM
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

While I appreciate the info, I'd be interested in seeing some 2011 or 2012 numbers ..

I suspect they haven't changed much if any
Lee Stewart is offline  
post #480 of 992 Old 10-07-2012, 10:29 AM
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Of course, no news there .. just more freeloaders ...

Not freeloaders . . . thieves.
Lee Stewart is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off