NetFlix RedBox BD's Without DTS-HD Master Audio / DD 5.1 Instead - Page 26 - AVS Forum
First ... 24  25  26 27  28  ... Last
Blu-ray Software > NetFlix RedBox BD's Without DTS-HD Master Audio / DD 5.1 Instead
42Plasmaman's Avatar 42Plasmaman 05:55 PM 02-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

Escape Plan rental, no lossless...
Same with Redbox. The disc also says "Movie only."

IanD's Avatar IanD 11:59 PM 02-09-2014
I understand some rental discs actually have all the special features on them and only require a slight edit of one of the jar files, but to do this you need to rip the disc. Way to go the studios in providing an incentive to rip.

It wouldn't surprise me if the HD audio track is there too, just not linked in the menus.

It might make sense to have virtually identical discs except for a few bits, which is simple to perform and doesn't upset the overall structure.
JohnnyEM's Avatar JohnnyEM 06:54 PM 02-10-2014
It just happened to me. I received the BD rental, Escape Plan, from Netflix. It's a Lionsgate release (more precisely, Summit Entertainment, a Lionsgate company).

I was so disappointed to discover that there's only English and Spanish Dolby Digital, no DTS-HD 7.1 as advertised on bluray.com.

This is the first time this happens to me. If it wasn't for this thread, I would never have know of the trend.

I am set up for DTS-HD 7.1. This is the saddest part.

I used MediaInfo to verify the audio format of the 3 biggest m2ts files. It's not a malfunction from my BD player. The files all have English AC3 audio as primary and AC3 Spanish as secondary. The only DTS-HD is in the few seconds of opening credits from Lionsgate.
MichaelZ's Avatar MichaelZ 03:16 PM 02-11-2014
Redbox "Ender's Game" rental no lossless only english/spanish DD5.1 and is marked "movie only".
JohnnyEM's Avatar JohnnyEM 04:28 PM 02-11-2014
Yup. That's another Summit Entertainment rental release. What they're doing is releasing the rental single layer instead of dual layer. Those are my observations from Escape Plan.
mgkdragn's Avatar mgkdragn 09:12 AM 02-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelZ View Post

Redbox "Ender's Game" rental no lossless only english/spanish DD5.1 and is marked "movie only".

Watched it last night .. the 5.1 encode was pretty well done .. although 5.1 none the less ..
jcp2's Avatar jcp2 04:02 AM 02-13-2014
Rented Enders Game and Escape Plan from redbox here in Canada. Both have DTS MA Losless ausio sound tracks. Lucky to be Canadian smile.gif No lossy Redbox rentals and free healthcare smile.gifsmile.gif
gadgtfreek's Avatar gadgtfreek 05:56 AM 02-13-2014
rolleyes.gif
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt 06:40 AM 02-13-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelZ View Post

That sounds like the disc I received from Netflix yesterday. I knew I should have rented it from 3DBD rental instead.
cytoSiN's Avatar cytoSiN 01:28 PM 02-14-2014
Confirming Netflix Ender's Game is "Movie Only" with no lossless audio. So sad. Give it a few months and they may get the real discs. All of the older movies I've rented from Netflix have full features and audio.
mailiang's Avatar mailiang 02:18 PM 02-14-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cytoSiN View Post

Confirming Netflix Ender's Game is "Movie Only" with no lossless audio. So sad. Give it a few months and they may get the real discs. All of the older movies I've rented from Netflix have full features and audio.

If a disc was distributed by Summit Entertainment in the last two years or so for Netflxi, it will probably be a lossy rental. These bare bones discs and release delays have been a recent trend by certain studios to help meet demand. It's a policy that was negotiated with the big rental services, and was designed to increase inventory by reducing cost.

Ian
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt 02:26 PM 02-14-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cytoSiN View Post

I went to put the disc in my player and it was just about broken in half. I haven't received a disc like that from Netflix in a very long time. So hopefully I get Enders Game from 3DBlu-ray Rental sometime in the next couple of weeks,.
mailiang's Avatar mailiang 02:55 PM 02-14-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I went to put the disc in my player and it was just about broken in half. I haven't received a disc like that from Netflix in a very long time. So hopefully I get Enders Game from 3DBlu-ray Rental sometime in the next couple of weeks,.

Why not call them so they will mail you a new one? You will probably get it in a day or two. I understand the sound track is lossy, but from what I've learned, it's pretty good quality (I'm watching it this weekend).

Ian
powertoburn's Avatar powertoburn 03:53 PM 02-14-2014
"Ender's Game" was listed as Long Wait in my que on Tuesday but when they received my movies on Thursday still managed to ship "Ender's Game" and "Riddick" out to me

Disappointed that Ender's Game will have a 5.1 Dolby Digital soundtrack was very looking forward to give my 7.1 system a workout this weekend. I remember for a while Lionsgate titles only had DD 5.1 for a while then they started to come out with lossless soundtrack again. I am assuming "Hunger Games : Catching Fire" will be lossy as well.

At least Universal, Disney, 21 Century Fox, Paramount, Warner, Sony sill send out their discs with DTS-HD MSTR or Dolby True HD.

I usually buy a movie after I hear how it sounds.
mgkdragn's Avatar mgkdragn 04:11 PM 02-14-2014
Lion's Gate, et al have not to my knowledge imposed a 28 day or longer release hold .. which may be the trade off when it comes to the lossy vs lossless scenario ..

Ender's Game 5.1 is a solid 5.1 encode .. I was not disappointed in the least on my 7.2 system .. and LFE gave the subs a nice workout, rattling the walls at a few points .. smile.gif

Believing that inexpensive rentals discourage consumers from more profitable DVD purchases or video-on-demand rentals, Warner and others require Redbox and Netflix to wait to rent its moves ..
mailiang's Avatar mailiang 04:38 PM 02-14-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Believing that inexpensive rentals discourage consumers from more profitable DVD purchases or video-on-demand rentals, Warner and others require Redbox and Netflix to wait to rent its moves ..

Hence, the studio's incentive offer for bulk rate cost reductions and more streaming content.

Ian wink.gif
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt 05:57 PM 02-14-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

Why not call them so they will mail you a new one? You will probably get it in a day or two. I understand the sound track is lossy, but from what I've learned, it's pretty good quality (I'm watching it this weekend).

Ian

I saw Enders Game in the IMAX lite theater. So this is just a second viewing for me. I watched Carrie last night instead. And returned both discs today. I did report it to Netflix as being damaged, and they did ship out a replacement today. But I'll probably wait for the other rental before I watch it again. I've got Season 2 of House of Cards to keep me busy for the next week.
Wendell R. Breland's Avatar Wendell R. Breland 01:35 PM 02-15-2014
Quote:

I've got Season 2 of House of Cards to keep me busy for the next week.

But not in 4K as some thought it would be.
mailiang's Avatar mailiang 08:29 AM 02-16-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

But not in 4K as some thought it would be.

That's because there aren't any current TV's that support it. I believe only the new upcoming UHD models have the new 4K Netflix interface. However, unless you have Open Connect and a robust 50 megs or higher service, you may have issues streaming 4K.

Ian
DocCasualty's Avatar DocCasualty 08:44 AM 02-16-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp2 View Post

and free healthcare smile.gifsmile.gif

Wendell R. Breland's Avatar Wendell R. Breland 09:34 AM 02-16-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

That's because there aren't any current TV's that support it. I believe only the new upcoming UHD models have the new 4K Netflix interface. However, unless you have Open Connect and a robust 50 megs or higher service, you may have issues streaming 4K.

I was just making fun of the the Netflix 4K hype BS.

But there are 4K sets in consumers homes that have a Netflix app on them and some were under the impression HOC 2 would be available to them in UHD. Its one thing to hype something like they did at AES, its done all the time but Netflix needs to be very specific about when and what brands/models 4K content will be available on.
mailiang's Avatar mailiang 11:15 AM 02-16-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

I was just making fun of the the Netflix 4K hype BS.

But there are 4K sets in consumers homes that have a Netflix app on them and some were under the impression HOC 2 would be available to them in UHD. Its one thing to hype something like they did at AES, its done all the time but Netflix needs to be very specific about when and what brands/models 4K content will be available on.

I couldn't agree with you more.

Ian
jcp2's Avatar jcp2 02:56 PM 02-16-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocCasualty View Post

True. I didn't mean to offend anyone or any country. I just wanted people to know that so far in Canada, Redbox rentals haven't cheated us on stripped down audio.
42Plasmaman's Avatar 42Plasmaman 04:27 PM 02-16-2014
Quote:

Ender's Game 5.1 is a solid 5.1 encode .. I was not disappointed in the least on my 7.2 system .. and LFE gave the subs a nice workout, rattling the walls at a few points .. smile.gif
By solid you mean the 5.1DD had booming LFE, I agree.
LFE was loud and clear.

Otherwise, it was stilling missing the full range frequency range/bandwidth of HD audio.
It still sounded compressed.

Still a good rental and worthy of watching though.
mgkdragn's Avatar mgkdragn 08:44 AM 02-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

By solid you mean the 5.1DD had booming LFE, I agree.
LFE was loud and clear.

Otherwise, it was stilling missing the full range frequency range/bandwidth of HD audio.
It still sounded compressed.

Still a good rental and worthy of watching though.

All audio is compressed, no matter the encode ..
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt 08:52 AM 02-17-2014
Quote:

All audio is compressed, no matter the encode ..

I thought when there is a PCM audio track that is uncompressed?
gadgtfreek's Avatar gadgtfreek 09:20 AM 02-17-2014
Its like video, there is still compression. Even the "lossless" track.
Kascnef82's Avatar Kascnef82 09:26 AM 02-17-2014
Red 2 is DTS MA 5.1 yet the aspect ratio is 1.78:1 on Netflix page (IMDB lists it as 2.39:1).
mgkdragn's Avatar mgkdragn 09:34 AM 02-17-2014
Quote:

I thought when there is a PCM audio track that is uncompressed?

I'll have to plead ignorance of just how many actual uncompressed PCM discs there are out there these days .. due to the space used by an uncompressed PCM track ..
Wendell R. Breland's Avatar Wendell R. Breland 01:41 PM 02-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

Its like video, there is still compression. Even the "lossless" track.

Not true for titles with PCM tracks and there are several titles available. Folks need to understand the difference between lossy data reduction (a.k.a. compression) and lossless. Lossy data can never be recovered while lossless can.
First ... 24  25  26 27  28  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop