NetFlix RedBox BD's Without DTS-HD Master Audio / DD 5.1 Instead - Page 36 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #1051 of 1061 Old 02-07-2015, 06:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by C*Tedesco View Post
Uh, no sir. Agree to disagree on this one.
Here's why... I found this film terrible. It is set up like Taken but completely ridiculous.
SPOILERS BELOW

Here's the story so as to save two hours of your life. Wife dies, she posthumously sends a cute puppy, bad guys steal car and kill puppy, Keanu Reeves kills 40 people mostly with guns at close range, avenges puppy's death, survives what would normally be a mortal stab wound deep to the abdomen / peritoneum, breaks into a veterinary clinic, gets a new dog and 'staples' (please...) his wound closed and pours alcohol on it for a bit of miraculous of 'surgery'... and takes new puppy home. Wrapped up as neatly as a John Hughes film. When he went overseas to finish the job - complete waste of time. Film should've been over after what I thought was the finale with the american villain.

The villains had his ridiculous code of conduct and the affiliated hotel (ridiculous)... Keanu couldn't have been worse. I knew when the guy who survives disasters from Nationwide Insurance commercials fame was in it, I knew it would be bad.

Can't comment on soundtrack as I Redbox'd it. Dolby Digital track.

It was so trite, unimaginative and so formulaic in my opinion. I usually like films like this but never bought in. . It was just shooting for shootings sake. I just didn't buy into his anger or the criminal organization he randomly happened upon. It seemed to take itself too seriously.

All my wife could say was 'trite'.

Terrible.

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 1061 Old 02-08-2015, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
Here's why... I found this film terrible. It is set up like Taken but completely ridiculous.
SPOILERS BELOW

Here's the story so as to save two hours of your life. Wife dies, she posthumously sends a cute puppy, bad guys steal car and kill puppy, Keanu Reeves kills 40 people mostly with guns at close range, avenges puppy's death, survives what would normally be a mortal stab wound deep to the abdomen / peritoneum, breaks into a veterinary clinic, gets a new dog and 'staples' (please...) his wound closed and pours alcohol on it for a bit of miraculous of 'surgery'... and takes new puppy home. Wrapped up as neatly as a John Hughes film. When he went overseas to finish the job - complete waste of time. Film should've been over after what I thought was the finale with the american villain.

The villains had his ridiculous code of conduct and the affiliated hotel (ridiculous)... Keanu couldn't have been worse. I knew when the guy who survives disasters from Nationwide Insurance commercials fame was in it, I knew it would be bad.

Can't comment on soundtrack as I Redbox'd it. Dolby Digital track.

It was so trite, unimaginative and so formulaic in my opinion. I usually like films like this but never bought in. . It was just shooting for shootings sake. I just didn't buy into his anger or the criminal organization he randomly happened upon. It seemed to take itself too seriously.

All my wife could say was 'trite'.

Terrible.
You have to take it for what it is, an action movie, nothing more and nothing less.

Ian
thebland likes this.

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #1053 of 1061 Old 02-08-2015, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 388
To each their own!
thebland likes this.

65" VT50 / Oppo 103D
Denon 4520CI / Emotiva XPA-3
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #1054 of 1061 Old 02-08-2015, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 42
the bland, yes your description about this movie is dead on, and I loved it!!! Yes, it was not a thinker, but plain action. I think similar to "Shoot em Up" without the humor, which I'm ok with. It's not going to win any awards, but will I see it again. Yuuupp.
thebland and slimm like this.
post #1055 of 1061 Old 02-08-2015, 06:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1229 Post(s)
Liked: 897
Quote:
SPOILERS BELOW

So are you actually saying Taken wasn't ridiculous too? I liked both movies, but they are movies and as such they are nothing but fantasy. Both are just as ridiculous. They are both popcorn movies. Although we saw Taken 3 today in the theater, and like the first two, another popcorn movie. But of course that was expected.

53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3--32TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #1056 of 1061 Old 02-08-2015, 08:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
So are you actually saying Taken wasn't ridiculous too? I liked both movies, but they are movies and as such they are nothing but fantasy. Both are just as ridiculous. They are both popcorn movies. Although we saw Taken 3 today in the theater, and like the first two, another popcorn movie. But of course that was expected.
Agree t otally... To me, Taken was the far, far better film. Liam vs Keanu.. not even a match!

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #1057 of 1061 Old 02-09-2015, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 783
Quote:
SPOILERS BELOW

Here's the story so as to save two hours of your life. Wife dies, she posthumously sends a cute puppy, bad guys steal car and kill puppy, Keanu Reeves kills 40 people mostly with guns at close range,
I thought I counted 46 .. ??
mailiang likes this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #1058 of 1061 Old 02-20-2015, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Chock one up to the low life Lionsgate liberals for DD 5.1 only for Lord of War.
post #1059 of 1061 Old 02-21-2015, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcell View Post
Chock one up to the low life Lionsgate liberals for DD 5.1 only for Lord of War.
2005 / Nic Cage .. ?? DTS was about as good as it gets 10 years ago unless my memory is wrong .. and would it not be the Lowlife Money Grubbing Conservative Suits .. ??

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #1060 of 1061 Old 02-21-2015, 02:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1229 Post(s)
Liked: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
2005 / Nic Cage .. ?? DTS was about as good as it gets 10 years ago unless my memory is wrong .. and would it not be the Lowlife Money Grubbing Conservative Suits .. ??
If it was 1.5Mb/s it was better but otherwise DD was a more efficient codec. So it could achieve great results with only 448kb/s on a DVD. DTS had to have a much higher bitrate to achieve the same quality since it was a less efficient codec. But DD at 640Kb/s on a BD sounds better than 1.5Mb/s DTS can.

53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3--32TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #1061 of 1061 Old Today, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Ok, slapping self now...Yep, you're right. Dunno what I was thinking. Retail BD has DTS-ES 6.1 (24-bit, 1.5Mb/s).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software