NetFlix RedBox BD's Without DTS-HD Master Audio / DD 5.1 Instead - Page 38 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 20Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1111 of 1130 Old 04-10-2015, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member
 
Cal68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 632
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
The only Lionsgate lossy BD's are the big blockbusters like Hunger Games and The Expendables. These titles are so few and far between it's not an issue for me. IMO, you're probably better off just sticking with Netflix.

Ian
Hi Ian

I agree with you that there are very few lossy BD's from LG. That's why I've concluded that it does not make economic sense for me to join another monthly subscription plan.

Cal68

Cal68
Cal68 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1112 of 1130 Old 04-10-2015, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member
 
jlanzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal68 View Post
Are there any places that one can rent a LG disc with lossless audio without paying a monthly subscription? I checked out 3D BluRay Rentals but the cheapest plan is $15.99. Since I only watch a small number of LG movies from Netflix containing lossy audio, it does not seem to make sense to pay for a full month at another rental company. And my family will not let me switch out of Netflix because some of them stream shows on their bedroom TV's. Too bad all my local video stores have gone bust, so I have to depend upon options like Netflix and 3D BluRay Rentals for renting movies.
They also rent per disc without a subscription, typically 3.99 to 7.99 for bluray, which is for a 7 day period. That is what I have used since there are few LG releases that cheap out on the audio. I suppose you could also buy the disc and then re-sell on it ebay/amazon, but that is too much hassel for me and would rather pay 3D BR Rental.
jlanzy is offline  
post #1113 of 1130 Old 04-10-2015, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
turls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Central IL
Posts: 4,824
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal68 View Post
I agree with you that there are very few lossy BD's from LG. That's why I've concluded that it does not make economic sense for me to join another monthly subscription plan.
No way would I encourage the practice by saying "just buy it", but maybe just buy it after its been out a few months and the price drops. Better than the buy/sell because the purchase would be after the timeframe for the early purchases and would be less likely to encourage them.

If you have to see it right way, then 3D BR Rental.

Matt
turls is online now  
post #1114 of 1130 Old 04-12-2015, 05:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
Cal68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 632
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlanzy View Post
They also rent per disc without a subscription, typically 3.99 to 7.99 for bluray, which is for a 7 day period. That is what I have used since there are few LG releases that cheap out on the audio. I suppose you could also buy the disc and then re-sell on it ebay/amazon, but that is too much hassel for me and would rather pay 3D BR Rental.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post
No way would I encourage the practice by saying "just buy it", but maybe just buy it after its been out a few months and the price drops. Better than the buy/sell because the purchase would be after the timeframe for the early purchases and would be less likely to encourage them.

If you have to see it right way, then 3D BR Rental.
Thanks guys.

Cal68
Cal68 is offline  
post #1115 of 1130 Old 04-12-2015, 07:17 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 22,773
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1389 Post(s)
Liked: 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal68 View Post
Are there any places that one can rent a LG disc with lossless audio without paying a monthly subscription? I checked out 3D BluRay Rentals but the cheapest plan is $15.99. Since I only watch a small number of LG movies from Netflix containing lossy audio, it does not seem to make sense to pay for a full month at another rental company. And my family will not let me switch out of Netflix because some of them stream shows on their bedroom TV's. Too bad all my local video stores have gone bust, so I have to depend upon options like Netflix and 3D BluRay Rentals for renting movies.
You can also rent per title too. You don't have to sign up for a monthly subscription. FOr instance The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 Blu-ray rental is $3.99.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now  
post #1116 of 1130 Old 04-12-2015, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
Cal68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 632
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
You can also rent per title too. You don't have to sign up for a monthly subscription. FOr instance The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 Blu-ray rental is $3.99.
That is great to know, thanks for the tip.


Cal68

Cal68
Cal68 is offline  
post #1117 of 1130 Old 04-13-2015, 03:08 PM
Member
 
osogovo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Sin city
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Anyone know if Wild Card rental has lossless audio?
Thank you in advance

osogovo is offline  
post #1118 of 1130 Old 04-13-2015, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 11,414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by osogovo View Post
Anyone know if Wild Card rental has lossless audio?
Thank you in advance
I rented it from RB last week, but since I've slept since then, I can't be absolutely certain, but I'm pretty sure it was lossless ..

Uncle Willie


Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is online now  
post #1119 of 1130 Old 04-13-2015, 03:45 PM
Member
 
osogovo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Sin city
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Thanks, mgkdragn

osogovo is offline  
post #1120 of 1130 Old 04-13-2015, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 7,181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
I rented it from RB last week, but since I've slept since then, I can't be absolutely certain, but I'm pretty sure it was lossless ..
You are correct Uncle Willie, now it's time for your nap.



Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others


Last edited by mailiang; 04-13-2015 at 08:43 PM.
mailiang is offline  
post #1121 of 1130 Old 04-14-2015, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 11,414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
You are correct Uncle Willie, now it's time for your nap.



Ian
Sure, Ian .. make fun of the old guy ..

Uncle Willie


Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is online now  
post #1122 of 1130 Old 04-14-2015, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 7,181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Sure, Ian .. make fun of the old guy ..
Hey, I'm not that far behind you.


Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

mailiang is offline  
post #1123 of 1130 Old 04-14-2015, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
muzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: MA. USA
Posts: 2,709
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 80
LG and NF are ridiculous, I pay like $16mo for a BD plan, not DVD, BD, with all the glory.
Picture is nothing without the sound.
The fact that I had to watch John Wick in DD is a disgrace, and is seriously making me consider dumping Netflix all together.
I don't pay good $ to watch SD DVDS on the BD plan, so the Audio should be current as well, and that title has Atmos and TrHD!

This isn't 1978, I'm not on the VHS plan!
turls likes this.

Why waste $ on more cheap stuff, it's like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife.
muzz is offline  
post #1124 of 1130 Old 04-14-2015, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
turls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Central IL
Posts: 4,824
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz View Post
I don't pay good $ to watch SD DVDS on the BD plan, so the Audio should be current as well, and that title has Atmos and TrHD!
For paying extra we should also get 3D BD too. If they don't want to support premium content that isn't crippled vs what we can buy, don't charge a surcharge. Simple.

Maybe Disney would still sell 3D BD if Netflix would bother to carry them?

Matt
turls is online now  
post #1125 of 1130 Old 04-15-2015, 09:25 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 22,773
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1389 Post(s)
Liked: 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz View Post
LG and NF are ridiculous, I pay like $16mo for a BD plan, not DVD, BD, with all the glory.
Picture is nothing without the sound.
The fact that I had to watch John Wick in DD is a disgrace, and is seriously making me consider dumping Netflix all together.
I don't pay good $ to watch SD DVDS on the BD plan, so the Audio should be current as well, and that title has Atmos and TrHD!

This isn't 1978, I'm not on the VHS plan!
First of all VHS and Beta never sounded anywhere close to what Dolby Digital sounds like. So that isn't even a fair comparison.

But if you leave where are you going to go? I have a subscription with Netflix and also with www.3d-blurayrental.com

Redbox gets the same discs as Netflix from Lionsgate. So I don't understand why you blame Netflix for this. The issue should be with Lionsgate not Netflix. But also there are literally only a few titles from Lionsgate that have the lower quality audio. The vast majority of all BD titles released, over 99%, don't have this issue. So I don't understand how so few titles with an issue can get such a rise from someone. I just rent some of the Lionsgate titles from www.3d-blurayrental.com instead of Netflix. The number is so small it's not an issue doing that.

www.3d-blurayrental.com is great for supplementing my 2D BD rentals from Netflix. As well as giving me access to 3D BD rentals too. Which initially was the reason I joined www.3d-blurayrental.com. But now most of my rentals from them are 2D BD titles.
mailiang likes this.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 04-15-2015 at 09:31 AM.
aaronwt is online now  
post #1126 of 1130 Old 04-15-2015, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 11,414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
So go ahead and leave. But where are you going to go? I have a subscription with Netflix and als with www.3d-blurayrental.com

Redbox gets the same discs as Netflix from Lionsgate. So I don't understand why you blame Netflix for this. The issue should be with Lionsgate not Netflix. But also there are literally only a few titles from Lionsgate that have the lower quality audio. The vast majority of titles, over 99%,, don't have this issue. So I don't understand how so few titles with an issue can get such a rise from someone. I just rent some of the Lionsgate titles from www.3d-blurayrental.com instead of Netflix. The number is so small it's not an issue doing that.
Yeah, I'm going to save this reply and use it as a cut and paste on all posts that deal with the NF / Lionsgate scenario .. I don't get why folks put the blame on NF / RB ..
mailiang likes this.

Uncle Willie


Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is online now  
post #1127 of 1130 Old 04-15-2015, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
muzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: MA. USA
Posts: 2,709
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I already went through this earlier this morning on the JW review thread.
Regardless of who is responsible for this NONSENSE, it's completely unacceptable in today's movie climate.

I was pissed because I felt like I'd been had, and I STILL feel that way, IDC if it's the fault of Netflix, it's a disgrace...I didn't cancel last night, but I admit I was a click away in my account settings.

BTW aaron, I am aware of the VHS/Beta audio difference, I was being sarcastic, and just ranting about the idiocy.
I know some folks don't care, but I do care, and I'm of the belief(probably mistaken) that the more it is accepted, the more this kind of complete and utter nonsense will manifest itself.
Studios don't give a crap about us, if they could go back and make black and white mono movies and save the $, they probably would.

Thanks Guys

m

Why waste $ on more cheap stuff, it's like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife.
muzz is offline  
post #1128 of 1130 Old 04-15-2015, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 7,181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz View Post
I already went through this earlier this morning on the JW review thread.
Regardless of who is responsible for this NONSENSE, it's completely unacceptable in today's movie climate.

I was pissed because I felt like I'd been had, and I STILL feel that way, IDC if it's the fault of Netflix, it's a disgrace...I didn't cancel last night, but I admit I was a click away in my account settings.

BTW aaron, I am aware of the VHS/Beta audio difference, I was being sarcastic, and just ranting about the idiocy.
I know some folks don't care, but I do care, and I'm of the belief(probably mistaken) that the more it is accepted, the more this kind of complete and utter nonsense will manifest itself.
Studios don't give a crap about us, if they could go back and make black and white mono movies and save the $, they probably would.

Thanks Guys

m
For the price, Netflix still offers the best bang for the buck when compared to other options like pay per view. As long as people continue to give up the best picture and sound for convenience, and are willing pay 5 or more bucks for it, the studios will continue to care less about BD rentals and video/audiophiles like me and you.


Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

mailiang is offline  
post #1129 of 1130 Old 04-15-2015, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,457
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 458
I'm over two things

Being mad about what the studios are doing; I just adjust life accordingly

Debating Netflix's fault; just can't relate to the anger

Panasonic 65" VT50 / Oppo 103D
Marantz AV7702 / Outlaw Model 7500
Klipsch RF7II (2) and RC62II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Panamax MR5100
gadgtfreek is online now  
post #1130 of 1130 Old 04-16-2015, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 11,414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
I'm over two things

Being mad about what the studios are doing; I just adjust life accordingly

Debating Netflix's fault; just can't relate to the anger

Yes, I pretty much am on the same wavelength .. it's a small percentage of content, NF / RB are still inexpensive compared to what you get in return, LionsGate brass I'm sure are convinced they are actually somehow beefing up sales with this tactic, and maybe they are selling a few more BD's .. .. but in the grand scheme of things, this certainly does not rate up there with World Hunger ..
mailiang and tenthplanet like this.

Uncle Willie


Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Software



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off