NetFlix RedBox BD's Without DTS-HD Master Audio or TrueHD / DD 5.1 Instead - Page 40 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 95Likes

post #1171 of 1405 Old 02-26-2016, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
3dblurayrental.com is the way to go. I had a membership with them for months. The turn around speed is almost as good as netflix. I could select, watch, return 2 movies within a week. Seeing as you can't get 3D movies anywhere else, plus having the full unaltered disc, makes this a must.

Side rant: Cutting out features, like what Redbox and Netflix does, just drives people with the means to just download the movie from other sources, with all the features. With the way some peoples internet speeds are, I can download a whole Bluray within a night, then just burn it. Not saying this is a norm, but why push possible revenue away? I dont mind paying for a service, just dont short me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1405 Old 02-26-2016, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2069 Post(s)
Liked: 2469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theheadsn View Post
3dblurayrental.com is the way to go. I had a membership with them for months. The turn around speed is almost as good as netflix. I could select, watch, return 2 movies within a week. Seeing as you can't get 3D movies anywhere else, plus having the full unaltered disc, makes this a must.

Side rant: Cutting out features, like what Redbox and Netflix does, just drives people with the means to just download the movie from other sources, with all the features. With the way some peoples internet speeds are, I can download a whole Bluray within a night, then just burn it. Not saying this is a norm, but why push possible revenue away? I dont mind paying for a service, just dont short me
I don't think the question asked for an editorial on the merits of content theft .. it was "can you hear the difference between lossy and lossless" ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #1173 of 1405 Old 02-29-2016, 12:14 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 4065
Pretty obvious to me when I watch a DD track vs lossless.

post #1174 of 1405 Old 03-07-2016, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 893 Post(s)
Liked: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael79 View Post
I suppose this thread wouldn't exist if this were not the case, but would you guys say there is a clear, perceptible difference between the lossless and the lossy soundtracks?

I got Jon Wick from Netflix and was disappointed to find it didn't have the Atmos track.
I got The Last Witch Hunter from Netflix and was disappointed to find it didn't have DTS:X, though I don't know if that's simply a function of my receiver possibly not receiving an update to play it yet.

I'm trying to determine if it's worth hunting down versions of movies with lossless/better audio tracks.
After a quick search I did not see it mentioned. Netflix does not have the DTS-x track for American Ultra. Will be a tough way to kick off a new format if you have to buy the disc to get the new format...

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #1175 of 1405 Old 03-08-2016, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 67
"Love The Coopers" rental BD from RedBox is lossy Dolby Digital only.

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #1176 of 1405 Old 03-09-2016, 05:56 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked: 1525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theheadsn View Post
I don't think that's true at all.

Most people who are renting from Netflix probably have no idea anything is missing - and likely don't have the equipment to support it even if they did. Those who do are in the minority.

What makes people download movies is a lack of willingness to pay for them.
post #1177 of 1405 Old 03-09-2016, 06:13 AM

I like how people still blame Rbox and Nflix for "cutting out features".
mailiang and primetimeguy like this.
post #1178 of 1405 Old 03-09-2016, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
I don't think that's true at all.

Most people who are renting from Netflix probably have no idea anything is missing - and likely don't have the equipment to support it even if they did. Those who do are in the minority.

What makes people download movies is a lack of willingness to pay for them.

Absolutely true .. and although BD sales continue to rise, DVD still outsells BD by around a 2 to 1 margin, which we've talked about before and simply re-enforces your point .. most people still don't care ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

Yep, it's still an issue of content providers setting the rules and somehow believing more units will be sold if cheap rentals don't "have it all" ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #1179 of 1405 Old 03-09-2016, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Well, they are the ones who signed the deals with the studios. The same groups that are the "leaders" but don't offer 3D Blu-rays or UHD Blu-rays.

I find it more amazing that many here let them off the hook, but the premium I pay hasn't gone down for less quality.

Matt
post #1180 of 1405 Old 03-09-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post
Well, they are the ones who signed the deals with the studios. The same groups that are the "leaders" but don't offer 3D Blu-rays or UHD Blu-rays.

I find it more amazing that many here let them off the hook, but the premium I pay hasn't gone down for less quality.
Here is how the deal with the studio reads:

"You can agree to these terms, or you can't have the rental disc"
Shniks likes this.
post #1181 of 1405 Old 03-09-2016, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post

Time and again here, we've said, you want it all, send your business to ::

http://www.store-3d-blurayrental.com/

I don't think any of us are letting anyone off the hook .. we, for the most part, understand how cheap rentals work ..

Uncle Willie

post #1182 of 1405 Old 03-09-2016, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Time and again here, we've said, you want it all, send your business to ::

http://www.store-3d-blurayrental.com/

I don't think any of us are letting anyone off the hook .. we, for the most part, understand how cheap rentals work ..
You and I continue to have a very different definition of "cheap rental". I've paid Netflix every month for over 15 years now, IIRC.

And yes, I know about other options. You continue to remind me like I'm 3 years old.

I know you guys think Netflix can do no wrong, but I'm going to continue to challenge it when you say it. Because its not true.

Matt
post #1183 of 1405 Old 03-09-2016, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

^^^ No one is taking you to task here .. the price of a one day BD rental at my local Family Video is $3.50 .. it's not always the retail version either .. a NF BD rental if you maintain a solid rotation / mail back is substantially less ..

As long as you keep complaining, someone is going to counter that .. it's the way Forums work .. .. we are all entitled to our say ..

If someone must have it all, full retail versions, there are alternatives .. simple as that .. no one is defending NF other than to realize it's the content providers that demand what they demand .. NF / RB would be happy to get the "full meal deal" disks .. however, their customers would be unhappy with the price increase and then instead of complaining there is no lossless audio, they would be complaining about the price increase ..

BTW, all I have said is true ..
mailiang likes this.

Uncle Willie

post #1184 of 1405 Old 03-09-2016, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 970 Post(s)
Liked: 641
You can always go to sites like Vudu and Cinema Now and pay 5 bucks or more for a movie. You will get lower PQ and lossy audio to boot. But in many cases you will get it 28 days sooner.

Ian
mgkdragn likes this.

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #1185 of 1405 Old 03-10-2016, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
NF / RB would be happy to get the "full meal deal" disks .. however, their customers would be unhappy with the price increase and then instead of complaining there is no lossless audio, they would be complaining about the price increase ..

BTW, all I have said is true ..
Well, actually, you guys like to pass off as "true" many opinions. Nobody here has any idea how hard Netflix or Redbox went to bat for users on keeping the status quo. We not only wait for a new "Netflix" window but we also get neutered discs? But not EVERY studio is doing that...it doesn't all add up no matter what you all say. What IS a fact is service and quality have decreased and my price has stayed the same or increased over the past 15 years. Maybe that is because of less volume in the DVD rental market, but I think there are many other factors at play...

The bottom line is a recurring monthly revenue stream for Netflix (or any company) is a VERY valuable asset and it is not something that can be quantified by saying I only pay X dollars per rental if I send back my movies quickly enough. Somewhere along the line, Netflix forgot the importance of this, or don't care because of streaming market.

Matt
post #1186 of 1405 Old 05-07-2016, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1414 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Are the Netflix audio description reliable? For example, under "Language and sound", if it lists DTS-HD Master, that movie disc will have it?

I just started paying attention to this and have checked about 6 movies, from Netflix, so far and all seem consistent with the labeling.

Anyone know if it is reliable way to tell if a particular movie, from Netflix, will or will not have lossless audio?
post #1187 of 1405 Old 05-07-2016, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by checker9 View Post
Are the Netflix audio description reliable? For example, under "Language and sound", if it lists DTS-HD Master, that movie disc will have it?

I just started paying attention to this and have checked about 6 movies, from Netflix, so far and all seem consistent with the labeling.

Anyone know if it is reliable way to tell if a particular movie, from Netflix, will or will not have lossless audio?
Personally, I would not consider it 100% accurate, however, it is a good indication ..

Uncle Willie

post #1188 of 1405 Old 05-07-2016, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by checker9 View Post
Maybe, maybe not, but only Lions Gate discs have lossy audio and most of them are limited to big block buster titles.

Ian

post #1189 of 1405 Old 05-17-2016, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 507
John Wick, lossy audio....I was p!$$ed! I got over it, but always check that nowadays.

Why waste $ on more cheap stuff, it's like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife.
post #1190 of 1405 Old 05-19-2016, 03:45 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Instead of moving forward they're moving backwards in time
post #1191 of 1405 Old 05-19-2016, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Post Nothing new

Quote:
Originally Posted by alienmem View Post
Instead of moving forward they're moving backwards in time
Not really. Lionsgate has been practicing this for about 4 or 5 years now.

Ian
tenthplanet and gadgtfreek like this.

post #1192 of 1405 Old 05-19-2016, 02:33 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 6417 Post(s)
Liked: 3965
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
Not really. Lionsgate has been practicing this for about 4 or 5 years now.

Ian
Bad Grandpa is the same way. Only lossy DD.
post #1193 of 1405 Old 05-19-2016, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Bad Grandpa is the same way. Only lossy DD.
Did you mean Dirty Grandpa (DeNiro, Efron)? Bad Grandpa (Johnny Knoxville) was not a Lionsgate release.
post #1194 of 1405 Old 05-20-2016, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Here is how the deal with the studio reads:

"You can agree to these terms, or you can't have the rental disc"
as of 8/14 i severed a very long time association with netflix due to significant content dropping and refocusing new additions on things i did not like. many must have , just lost the movies i liked.
i do not use redbox or any supermarket kiiosk types anylonger, for about 15months or so.
i signed up for acorn, but they are very limited in what they stream but very low cost, and niche directed.
i am looking for streaming options to find a level. amazon prime is nearly ok, but the ones i am most interested in ,eg warner archives is on the high cost end,.
i had been a total fan of movie rentals from pre blockbuster days, from when the business first started with the proprietorship/mom and pop stores first began,till blockbuster , hollywood took them all down.
dvd got me to netflix and i was a $30month for just my own needs(wants) and did early streaming and 4dvd per plan and blu ray premium when it first started.
but i got too old for content selection or focus i guess.
now it will cost me $10/month for jst streaming i think. all of the legacy 7.99 people are now bumped up to a single tier pay schedule. i get the free month emails monthly or 2x month still.
i am at a loss and nowhere to go as time passed. got fewer choices, it seems to me and higher costs for that lower selection
only thing to be glad about is that i dont live in canada. my sister is canadian by marriage and they moved back there a few yrs ago and found how limited netflix canada is. i guess i should be glad the usa has more of what i dont like to choose from ).
but, i still check out the big supermarket chain kiosk offerings a few times a week. maybe i will spring for one of the newer movies i have interest in, again.
this is the only way i knew how to 'stand up ' to those movie giants, by not giving over money for half baked things.
i have a feeling they really dont care whether i rent or not
i do not do pirated copies either. did once shortly after dvd became the format of choice over vhs tpe. was disappointed and never looked at any again. they are easy enough to buy where i live. but dont do them
besides i am pretty sure they would not hve the best audio.
i am not prepared to buy any blu ray or hd dvd anymore either. i did for about 5yrs of some things i really liked , but for the most part, the movies are not multi watch quality. some are, dont want to over state. but so many are just not worth keeping to re watch at home.
no longer have kids at home who could and would watch lots of movies a thousand times and love each viewing as much as the first. those movies were worth buying
just supporting the comment on going backward with my 2¢ added

LG42LD550, ONKYO TX SR608, POLK M70s 7.1POLK 10"SUB, LG BD570, PINNACLE USB PVR-HD. GA990FXA UD3, SAPPHIRE HD 7950 OC 3Gb GDDR5, AMD FX-8150BE@4.0, 16Gb GSKILL DDR3 1600, SSD: CRUCIAL M4 128Gb, HDD: 3- 1TB SPINPOINT F3, WD4GB MY BOOK DUO LAN CLOUD , CISCO E3200, TP LINK 8PORT SWITCH; CISCO DOCS3.0
post #1195 of 1405 Old 05-21-2016, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

^^^ Evolution thru technology requires that we adapt .. with an open streaming market out there and multiple outlets trying for our money, NF is adapting and evolving as well .. and, still a bargain ..

I don't sweat the small stuff, because to me, it's, er, small .. so what if a few BD's are not lossless .. ?? I don't watch anything just for SQ, I watch for quality entertainment .. and, as many have said time and again, on most systems, the quality differential between lossy and lossless is fairly negligible on most content ..

I could go on, but why .. ?? It's the same debate we've had from the get go ..
mailiang likes this.

Uncle Willie

post #1196 of 1405 Old 05-21-2016, 09:57 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
Did you mean Dirty Grandpa (DeNiro, Efron)? Bad Grandpa (Johnny Knoxville) was not a Lionsgate release.
Yes that's the one. I keep calling it Bad Grandpa for some reason when it's actually Dirty Grandpa.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Sony UBP-X800--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #1197 of 1405 Old 05-21-2016, 09:58 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniedoo View Post
now it will cost me $10/month for jst streaming i think. all of the legacy 7.99 people are now bumped up to a single tier pay schedule. i get the free month emails monthly or 2x month still.
i...............

I'm still paying $7.99 a month to Netflix for the four screen UHD plan(plus the two disc out plan). I was supposedly grandfathered indefinitely into the streaming price for some reason. And so far it has stayed that way. So I have no complaints.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Sony UBP-X800--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #1198 of 1405 Old 05-22-2016, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I'm still paying $7.99 a month to Netflix for the four screen UHD plan(plus the two disc out plan). I was supposedly grandfathered indefinitely into the streaming price for some reason. And so far it has stayed that way. So I have no complaints.
Starting next month they will be rolling out the increase, but it will be gradual, so not everyone will see it in the same month.

Ian

post #1199 of 1405 Old 05-22-2016, 08:06 AM

I had to dial back from the UHD plan because of my data limits, but 1080p is fine, still looks great. I keep their 2 blu-rays out at time plan for the stuff I refuse to buy. And then now with UHD Blu-ray, my disc purchasing will pick up a little more.

I could probably go to one disc at a time and use Redbox, Redbox just doesnt have everything I want to see in blu-ray and I kinda hate DVD's at this point.
post #1200 of 1405 Old 05-22-2016, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
Starting next month they will be rolling out the increase, but it will be gradual, so not everyone will see it in the same month.

Ian
I introduced my friends and family members about Ntflx 7 or so yrs ago, they all still use, and love, it and use the home delivery and streaming. I found out about the slick move to stagger those emails so not to get lambasted by all the longer term users at once who forgot about the warnings issued 2plus yrs ago. I paid my last bill to them 8/2014. I get an invitation every 2months for another free month.
I loved the service and was with it from about a year after it was available. By the time I quit, I barely liked it and used far less frequently. I found myself scrolling the titles for 2hrs and still not finding a movie I hadn t seen or wanted to watch and that is lots of titles. once , it took me so long to find a movie my eyes hurt too much to watch. I pulled the plug with lots of anxiety, took many months for me to finally make that decision and then deactivate the service.
I was one of the most disappointed quitting that than anything i've discontinued. I always felt that they would improve in a few months
but that is just my feeling about the service. I know there are plenty of titles for a large segment of video watchers .Kid, animated shows ,etc. Just not to my taste doesnt make it a bad service at all.
If i still had kids around no question but i would have kept it
I guess I got spoiled at the beginning and the potentials for the company to realize more profit and the arrival of serious competition from source companies made the business decision to split services with in netflix inevitable . I had streaming and home delivery of that initial huge variety for just the price of the home delivery plan , how many dvds I had at one time streaming was almost treated as an after thought . I still paid $24 month then 4 dvd at a time and then the sur charge for blu rays. I guess part of my decision to leave was that sense of losing services or having them taken back and fees going up .
I still lament that loss but it was good while it lasted.

LG42LD550, ONKYO TX SR608, POLK M70s 7.1POLK 10"SUB, LG BD570, PINNACLE USB PVR-HD. GA990FXA UD3, SAPPHIRE HD 7950 OC 3Gb GDDR5, AMD FX-8150BE@4.0, 16Gb GSKILL DDR3 1600, SSD: CRUCIAL M4 128Gb, HDD: 3- 1TB SPINPOINT F3, WD4GB MY BOOK DUO LAN CLOUD , CISCO E3200, TP LINK 8PORT SWITCH; CISCO DOCS3.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page