NetFlix RedBox BD's Without DTS-HD Master Audio or TrueHD / DD 5.1 Instead - Page 47 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 95Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1381 of 1405 Old 10-07-2017, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PeterTHX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,416
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakJob View Post
Thanks. Came here looking specifically for this.
Why? When has a Paramount release's audio been changed?

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
PeterTHX is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1382 of 1405 Old 10-08-2017, 07:03 AM
Member
 
st2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can someone check if 'wonder woman' on Netflix has HD audio stream?
st2006 is offline  
post #1383 of 1405 Old 10-08-2017, 03:52 PM
Member
 
markhyams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by st2006 View Post
Can someone check if 'wonder woman' on Netflix has HD audio stream?
I have the WW disc from Netflix and it is Dolby True HD. It may have Atmos, but I'm not sure.
markhyams is offline  
 
post #1384 of 1405 Old 10-08-2017, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wmarkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,174
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 185
WW Redbox no atmos but has the HD stream
wmarkw is offline  
post #1385 of 1405 Old 10-08-2017, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
deano86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,909
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarkw View Post
WW Redbox no atmos but has the HD stream
Well, that would be a first... AFAIK, up to this point, if the disc has the Dolby True HD soundtrack, then Atmos is included automatically...
deano86 is offline  
post #1386 of 1405 Old 10-08-2017, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wmarkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,174
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post
Well, that would be a first... AFAIK, up to this point, if the disc has the Dolby True HD soundtrack, then Atmos is included automatically...


hmmm, i toggled through the audio menu and i did not see an atmos option to select. One was the normal audio option and the second was the English Audio Descriptive track??
wmarkw is offline  
post #1387 of 1405 Old 10-08-2017, 06:16 PM
Member
 
st2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post
Well, that would be a first... AFAIK, up to this point, if the disc has the Dolby True HD soundtrack, then Atmos is included automatically...
Thanks. I actually meant Redbox, not Netflix
st2006 is offline  
post #1388 of 1405 Old 10-08-2017, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
deano86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,909
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarkw View Post
hmmm, i toggled through the audio menu and i did not see an atmos option to select. One was the normal audio option and the second was the English Audio Descriptive track??
Atmos is not necessarily identified in the Audio menu .....depending on the studio releasing it and depending on if other language soundtrack options are available on the disc. In the case of Wonder Woman, it is just the "English" soundtrack.
deano86 is offline  
post #1389 of 1405 Old 10-09-2017, 03:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wmarkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,174
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post
Atmos is not necessarily identified in the Audio menu .....depending on the studio releasing it and depending on if other language soundtrack options are available on the disc. In the case of Wonder Woman, it is just the "English" soundtrack.
Of all the redbox/atmos titles I have rented there was always atmos as an audio option to select. My denon didnt pick up the atmos stream if it was available. Now I'm curious. Using the XB1S but have never had an issue with the BR app. I dont own any atmos titles so cant check to see if it is my set up. I did run audyessy that afternoon and it picked up my AJ atmos fronts.
wmarkw is offline  
post #1390 of 1405 Old 10-09-2017, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member
 
mraub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 921
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Does Redbox have any fine print in their customer rental agreement giving them the right to rent a Blu-ray missing audio tracks included on the retail version? If not, there might be relief under state consumer protections laws. If I pay money to rent what is represented as a Blu-ray disc, don't I have a right to expect I will receive the entire Blu-ray package, not a crippled one? Maybe complaints to the state agency that enforces consumer protections laws (often the Attorney General of the state) would convey to RB our dissatisfaction in a way that might provoke some action from them.

MIKE

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.
--H. L. Mencken
mraub is offline  
post #1391 of 1405 Old 10-09-2017, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 13,653
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2069 Post(s)
Liked: 2467
^^^ It's the Studio that makes the Rules .. there have been "Rental Only" versions of material for a long long time ..
allargon likes this.

Uncle Willie


Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is online now  
post #1392 of 1405 Old 10-09-2017, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
deano86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,909
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarkw View Post
Of all the redbox/atmos titles I have rented there was always atmos as an audio option to select. My denon didnt pick up the atmos stream if it was available. Now I'm curious. Using the XB1S but have never had an issue with the BR app. I dont own any atmos titles so cant check to see if it is my set up. I did run audyessy that afternoon and it picked up my AJ atmos fronts.
Even the retail version of Wonder Woman does not say Atmos audio in the menu.. only English... not really that uncommon..
deano86 is offline  
post #1393 of 1405 Old 10-09-2017, 02:58 PM
Member
 
markhyams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mraub View Post
Does Redbox have any fine print in their customer rental agreement giving them the right to rent a Blu-ray missing audio tracks included on the retail version? If not, there might be relief under state consumer protections laws. If I pay money to rent what is represented as a Blu-ray disc, don't I have a right to expect I will receive the entire Blu-ray package, not a crippled one? Maybe complaints to the state agency that enforces consumer protections laws (often the Attorney General of the state) would convey to RB our dissatisfaction in a way that might provoke some action from them.
I'm not sure about laws, but I have complained many times to Redbox about not getting lossless audio on a particular rental, and always ended up with a free rental. Now before someone accuses me of "gaming the system" let me respond. Redbox is not a "system" to be gamed, like a government welfare agency or the unemployment office. They are a business that has customers. They have provided a pipeline of communication, I used it to complain, and they responded to my complaints. No one was twisting their arm to give me a free nights' rental, that's what Redbox decided to do.

There is something called truth in advertising, and I feel it is Redbox's responsibility to label any discs that are crippled, rental versions. So you might have a case, but I'm not a lawyer. And finally, the studios don't make the rules, Redbox and the studios enter into mutually agreed-upon contracts. Probably the studios do have the most leverage in negotiating these contracts, but not all of it. If Redbox really wanted to stand up for their customers, they could show Lionsgate door and make a nice publicity stunt out of it that would probably result in increased Redbox revenue, and Lionsgate caving. But what do I know? I'm just a guy with a blu-ray player.

Love y'all!

Mark

JVC X500R, Silver Ticket 120-inch screen, Denon 4520, Sony BDP-S5100, Google Chromecast, Logitech Squeezebox
SVS Prime Bookshelf (LCR), SVS Prime Satellite (x2 Surround), SVS-SB2000 (Dual)
markhyams is offline  
post #1394 of 1405 Old 10-10-2017, 02:37 AM
Advanced Member
 
Cal68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 916
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 174
I am watching Wonder Woman bluray disc that I got from Netflix and it does indeed have the Atmos soundtrack. I was very pleasantly surprised.
wmarkw and markhyams like this.

Cal68
Cal68 is offline  
post #1395 of 1405 Old 10-10-2017, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 8,174
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 970 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhyams View Post
There is something called truth in advertising, and I feel it is Redbox's responsibility to label any discs that are crippled, rental versions. So you might have a case, but I'm not a lawyer. And finally, the studios don't make the rules, Redbox and the studios enter into mutually agreed-upon contracts. Probably the studios do have the most leverage in negotiating these contracts, but not all of it. If Redbox really wanted to stand up for their customers, they could show Lionsgate door and make a nice publicity stunt out of it that would probably result in increased Redbox revenue, and Lionsgate caving. But what do I know? I'm just a guy with a blu-ray player.

Love y'all!

Mark
Never going to happen Mark. There are not enough consumers who rent discs who care.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

mailiang is offline  
post #1396 of 1405 Old 10-10-2017, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 13,653
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2069 Post(s)
Liked: 2467
When you own the content, you control the content .. neither RB nor NF is going to boycott buying rental disks from the Studio(s) .. Consumers expect the lowest possible price, well, that's the tradeoff on a BD rental when it is lacking in certain features .. whether that be HD Audio or Extras ..

Full Version BD rentals are available at my local Family Video at $3.79 per day .. now, if RB decided to pay what Family Video pays for BD's, which would then get RB the full version, they would raise prices exponentially and rent even less BD's .. likely then causing them, at some point, to not rent BD's at all ..

Rental Version content has been available for a long time .. Blockbuster even went so far as to have Blockbuster Exclusive content .. which then caused other rental outlets to buy from Amazon or Walmart in order to get rental disks .. we know how well that helped out Blockbuster ..

NF in particular is positioning itself, as Hastings has said many times, as a Streaming Only Company, which was his plan from the get go, and, the continued beefing up of the Streaming Catalog with original content rather than rights to stream content ..

The audio codec issue is generally isolated and not widespread ..

As we have said, ad infinitum here .. if a consumer is passionate about this issue, why not boycott NF and/or RB and rent from ::

https://www.store-3d-blurayrental.com/

The Thread has been devoted to this from the inception .. and all of the various suggestions and chatter have been covered ..

BD never caught on like DVD and never will .. that's just the way it is .. the Consumer has spoken .. if someone want's to find a Law Firm that is willing to take on this minor issue, good luck .. I hope they will do it on a percentage basis for you ..

Lastly, when/if the price of an HD stream from VUDU / Amazon, et al drops to under 2 bucks for a new movie release, we'll more than likely be able to kiss disks goodbye, other than as a niche product, much like vinyl ..
allargon likes this.

Uncle Willie


Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

Last edited by mgkdragn; 10-10-2017 at 01:50 PM.
mgkdragn is online now  
post #1397 of 1405 Old 10-16-2017, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member
 
Borg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I clicked on this thread hoping to find a consolidated list of rentals that didn't include lossless audio. Instead, after reading thru the first few pages, I found a bunch of bickering back and forth...not that this isn't standard for the avs forum...

Does anyone know if such a list exists and where I could find it?

TIA
Borg is online now  
post #1398 of 1405 Old 10-16-2017, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 13,653
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2069 Post(s)
Liked: 2467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg View Post
I clicked on this thread hoping to find a consolidated list of rentals that didn't include lossless audio. Instead, after reading thru the first few pages, I found a bunch of bickering back and forth...not that this isn't standard for the avs forum...

Does anyone know if such a list exists and where I could find it?

TIA
Just use Lionsgate rentals thru Redbox and Netflix as a general guide, not fully inclusive, yet an indicator .. there is no consolidated list that I know of ..
Borg and jodiuh like this.

Uncle Willie


Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is online now  
post #1399 of 1405 Old 10-16-2017, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member
 
Borg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Just use Lionsgate rentals thru Redbox and Netflix as a general guide, not fully inclusive, yet an indicator .. there is no consolidated list that I know of ..
Ok, thanks for the help!
Borg is online now  
post #1400 of 1405 Old 10-17-2017, 12:52 PM
Member
 
jodiuh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg View Post
I clicked on this thread hoping to find a consolidated list of rentals that didn't include lossless audio. Instead, after reading thru the first few pages, I found a bunch of bickering back and forth...not that this isn't standard for the avs forum...

Does anyone know if such a list exists and where I could find it?

TIA
Just something I've come across in the years...

Never start with the first few pages of a mega thread. Always go to the last page and read backwards from the last post to the top of that page. If it interests me, I might go back a few pages.
jodiuh is offline  
post #1401 of 1405 Old 10-17-2017, 12:57 PM
Senior Member
 
SuperFist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 461
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by mraub View Post
Does Redbox have any fine print in their customer rental agreement giving them the right to rent a Blu-ray missing audio tracks included on the retail version? If not, there might be relief under state consumer protections laws. If I pay money to rent what is represented as a Blu-ray disc, don't I have a right to expect I will receive the entire Blu-ray package, not a crippled one? Maybe complaints to the state agency that enforces consumer protections laws (often the Attorney General of the state) would convey to RB our dissatisfaction in a way that might provoke some action from them.

I can confirm that Atmos will not show up unless your receiver and setup is Atmos ready; if not, it will only offer Dolby TrueHD (I remember trying to get Atmos to play before I had the necessary equipment when Transformers: Age Of Extinction blu-ray came out and I was unable to get it to show up until my setup was Atmos-capable).

And yes, the Netflix Wonder Woman blu-ray has Dolby Atmos!

Last edited by SuperFist; 10-17-2017 at 01:03 PM.
SuperFist is online now  
post #1402 of 1405 Old 10-17-2017, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 13,653
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2069 Post(s)
Liked: 2467
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodiuh View Post
Just something I've come across in the years...

Never start with the first few pages of a mega thread. Always go to the last page and read backwards from the last post to the top of that page. If it interests me, I might go back a few pages.
When looking for specific information, especially on an informational thread, the best thing to use is the Search box ..

Uncle Willie


Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is online now  
post #1403 of 1405 Old 10-17-2017, 01:08 PM
Member
 
jodiuh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
When looking for specific information, especially on an informational thread, the best thing to use is the Search box ..
That kills the suspense of going through post after post and then BAM, my answer!

IMO, it's like the 3 lick, crunch of a tootsie roll sucker.
jodiuh is offline  
post #1404 of 1405 Old 10-17-2017, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 13,653
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2069 Post(s)
Liked: 2467
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodiuh View Post
That kills the suspense of going through post after post and then BAM, my answer!

IMO, it's like the 3 lick, crunch of a tootsie roll sucker.
I live by the philosophy of "Whatever works best for you .. " ..

Uncle Willie


Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is online now  
post #1405 of 1405 Old 10-17-2017, 01:15 PM
Member
 
jodiuh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
I live by the philosophy of "Whatever works best for you .. " ..
I think perhaps also "getting the last word"

Sometimes I go with the beginning of the thread if it's REALLY interesting/informative for me. Sometimes I'll do the search thing. Sometimes I'll do the last page and back thing.
jodiuh is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Software

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off