post #181 of 338 Old 01-09-2013, 08:26 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrotel View Post

what codec does "the avengers" have? i played that movie bitstreaming with no problem. is it the same or different?

It's easy to look that up: http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/7104/avengers_3d.html
Code:
English DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1

We also have a spec thread here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1155731/new-unofficial-blu-ray-audio-and-video-specifications-thread/4560#post_22496012

-Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 338 Old 01-09-2013, 11:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Ok, so is that the same as total recall?
post #183 of 338 Old 01-09-2013, 11:06 PM
Advanced Member

post #184 of 338 Old 01-10-2013, 03:54 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrotel View Post

What does it say here: http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/7657/total_recall_2012.html
Code:
English Dolby TrueHD 5.1 

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #185 of 338 Old 01-10-2013, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 40
7.1 dts ma. No dropouts
post #186 of 338 Old 01-10-2013, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wasn't the "Total Recall 2012" disc encoded in Dolby TrueHD not DTS-MA ? All the problems currently annoying everyone relate to Dolby TrueHD not DTS-MA.

How do you have your player configured - bitstream over hdmi to an AVR or PCM (which should result in dropout free playback)?
post #187 of 338 Old 01-10-2013, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Watched a rental copy from Blockbuster. I did enjoy the movie way more than I expected. The audio track is fantastic Dolby TrueHD audio with some good low end "dive bomb sweeps" during several scenes. The Blu-ray player is the Oppo BDP-105 with current firmware updates.I did not change it from bitstream and refuse to since I did not create the problem Sony! I'm not going to change my settings on my player because of their inability to QC a disc before release! I had no audio dropouts but did have one small "pop" in the audio during the "face changing scene" and experienced a severe lip synch issue that disappeared when I paused the movie and went back to the scene again! Whomever authored this disc along with whomever did QC need to be fired right away,this is plain BS. Hey you lazy asses at Sony, grab a copy off the line and inspect it before shipping them out? rolleyes.gif
post #188 of 338 Old 01-11-2013, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 118
The "directors cut" edition uses DTS-MA. The problem as outlined in the blurb from Sony was due to their threaded extra and apparently some players can't keep up with the branching. The "extra" which is on the discs from rental outlets because Sony doesn't always do stripped "Rental" versions, have overlays and comments over the film as you watch it instead of just a commentary track.
post #189 of 338 Old 01-11-2013, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

The "directors cut" edition uses DTS-MA. The problem as outlined in the blurb from Sony was due to their threaded extra and apparently some players can't keep up with the branching. The "extra" which is on the discs from rental outlets because Sony doesn't always do stripped "Rental" versions, have overlays and comments over the film as you watch it instead of just a commentary track.

Huh? I don't believe there is a version available that uses DTS-MA.

Bill
post #190 of 338 Old 01-11-2013, 12:28 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

Yeah, mine says Audio: English 5.1 DTS-HD MA.
post #191 of 338 Old 01-11-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angler55 View Post

Yeah, mine says Audio: English 5.1 DTS-HD MA.
No, that's not right! My mistake, mine is Audio: English Dolby TrueHD 5.1. Sorry fella's!
post #192 of 338 Old 01-11-2013, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angler55 View Post

No, that's not right! My mistake, mine is Audio: English Dolby TrueHD 5.1. Sorry fella's!

Dammit, I just put a reserve in on Redbox to get a copy with hopefully good audio to watch, lol.

Bill
post #193 of 338 Old 01-12-2013, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Is the "director's cut" on a separate disc and is it TrueHD or DTS? I saw a listing for it as DTS but it may have been wrong.
post #194 of 338 Old 01-12-2013, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Same disc. TrueHD.
post #195 of 338 Old 01-12-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfattbill View Post

Dammit, I just put a reserve in on Redbox to get a copy with hopefully good audio to watch, lol.

Bill
Sorry Bill,
I hope you can still enjoy. When I first posted about the audio, for some oddball reason, I was looking at my "Looper" sleeve.
I really thought the audio was the best part of the movie although I watched it in PCM so I didn't have any drop outs or any other audio problems.

Al
post #196 of 338 Old 01-15-2013, 03:19 PM

Liked: 12
I'm watching again, and it still more sci fi than Looper or Dredd! Skip to the hover car chase through hover-highway biggrin.gif! Are you not entertained biggrin.gif?! The hover cars are crashing in to each other, doing jumps over disabled cars, free falling 500 feet! The hi tech apache chopper joins in too!

Then the zero gravity gun battle aboard the elevator transport before the robot invasion of the colony! I like Looper and Dredd too, but as far sci-fi kick-azz-ness, its a unanimous decision biggrin.gif!

Forget about the Arnold film and judge it as its own entity!
post #197 of 338 Old 01-21-2013, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
I played my Total Recall (2012) blu-ray last night. It is the 2 disc version (no DVD) purchased from BestBuy yesterday. I ran the extended version, bitstreaming TrueHD over hdmi - it played perfectly - audio was terrific with no dropouts. Equipment used = Sony BDP-S1000ES to Yamaha RX-V3900. I liked it. My wife kept reading her book occasionally asking me to turn down the volume . . . . .

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #198 of 338 Old 01-21-2013, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post

I played my Total Recall (2012) blu-ray last night. It is the 2 disc version (no DVD) purchased from BestBuy yesterday. I ran the extended version, bitstreaming TrueHD over hdmi - it played perfectly - audio was terrific with no dropouts. Equipment used = Sony BDP-S1000ES to Yamaha RX-V3900. I liked it. My wife kept reading her book occasionally asking me to turn down the volume . . . . .

Great news regarding the disc but to be honest I could never again deal with what you had to do in "turning down the volume". That soundtrack is begging to be played loud.
post #199 of 338 Old 01-21-2013, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post

That soundtrack is begging to be played loud.

True - I may play it again when she isn't home so the neighbors can enjoy it also . . :-)

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #200 of 338 Old 01-21-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post

True - I may play it again when she isn't home so the neighbors can enjoy it also . . :-)

Yeah, I"d say give it another watch especially if you can turn it up where it belongs because the audio really does steal the show. With my first viewing I was disappointed with the movie but I thought the audio and video were very good (not counting the "flare" effects). By the time I watched the third viewing I didn't even mind the "flare" effects and I thought the movie was actually pretty good.

I believe my first negative impression of the movie was influenced greatly because I watched the original Recall just prior to viewing the new version as I ordered and received both blu ray copies at the same time. I think I had myself talked into wanting to see a new and improved original Recall and when the story was changed I just couldn't except it. After repeated watchings I like the movie more and more. I wouldn't have believed that could have happened to me a few weeks ago.

Al
post #201 of 338 Old 01-22-2013, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I read over at blu-ray.com that they sent Total recall to Sony for a replacement & the disk Sony sent them is still defective so they havnt fixed it yet,oh well its not the first 25.00 I wasted!!!
post #202 of 338 Old 01-24-2013, 07:16 PM

Liked: 11
Total Recall 2012: Same audio drop outs on the Dolby HD sound track as reported by others. Returned 3 blu ray rental discs to Netflix before I figured out I could switch the player to PCM multi channel. This is a really bad quality control issue for the manufacturer of this disc (Columbia/Sony). Netflix customer service, of course, had no clue.

Sounds great! Less filling!
post #203 of 338 Old 01-31-2013, 03:35 PM

Hi EVERYONE,

We all have to contact Sony if we want to get any satisfaction! Based on the info at the TheDigitalBits web site I sent them an e-mail with the info they wanted hoping to start the process to get a new corrected disc. Pretty quickly I got a reply asking for some more info (player model, firmware ver, etc.) which I sent back promptly. I also sent a link to this thread to indicate that my situation was not unique and that many others are having the same problem with various players and AVRs.

Then I got another reply that said:

"SPHE is working with manufacturers on a possible firmware upgrade solution, but the issue can be resolved through a simple fix by changing the settings as outlined below. . ."

And then it went on to show how to set a few players into PCM mode with no mention of a replacement corrected disc. I immediately replied that this "simple fix" was not an acceptable solution as most AVRs have different settings for the different formats they receive and that my settings for a PCM stream are not the same as for a Dolby True HD stream. I have not yet heard back from them and will give them another day or two but if I don't get a reply I will e-mail them again to specifically request a corrected disc.

So I suggest everyone that has this problem e-mail Sony and request a corrected disc. The more people that contact them quicker we may get a satisfactory solution! Their e-mail is:

Consumer@SPHECustomerSupport.Sony.com

Gerry
post #204 of 338 Old 01-31-2013, 07:47 PM

I just sent an email demanding a viable solution, which DID NOT include changing the audio stream from Dolby TrueHD to PCM. We'll see how they respond. I can't believe they have yet acted on this serious flaw yet...either in form of a replacement or money back??

Sony's dropping the ball big time!
post #205 of 338 Old 01-31-2013, 09:27 PM

It looks that is a new copy protection that causes the dropouts. My ps3 plays the rental from redbox fine, but on the pc it will not play. It will not even play proper if I use anydvd.

It seems the movie is not one huge file, the movie is several large files. Firmware updates on blu-ray players and ps3 fixes the stuttering, but on the pc you are out of luck because of "piracy".....smile.gif

I just purchase nero 12 platinum and am awaiting an update from nero to see if this will work on the pc. Punish the legit purchasers, nice sony.

Ted blu-ray uses the same new tech so I will follow up and let you know.
post #206 of 338 Old 02-01-2013, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92miata View Post

It looks that is a new copy protection that causes the dropouts. My ps3 plays the rental from redbox fine, but on the pc it will not play. It will not even play proper if I use anydvd.

It seems the movie is not one huge file, the movie is several large files. Firmware updates on blu-ray players and ps3 fixes the stuttering, but on the pc you are out of luck because of "piracy".....smile.gif

I just purchase nero 12 platinum and am awaiting an update from nero to see if this will work on the pc. Punish the legit purchasers, nice sony.

Ted blu-ray uses the same new tech so I will follow up and let you know.

What new "tech" are you speaking of? The titles that are currently having issues (Total Recall 2012, Finding Nemo, Brave, Pixar Shorts 2) have TWO things in common. #1 Dolby TrueHD Audio #2 Branching and neither of these 2 things are new to Blu-ray.

What model PS3 are you using as well? If it is older then it's likely converting the audio to PCM before it is even sending it out to the AVR, which as we know already mitigates the issue in some instances.

Bill
post #207 of 338 Old 02-02-2013, 07:46 AM

Gerryex,

Here's the response i received from Sony.

"Thank you for your e-mail. We appreciate your interest in Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (SPHE) products.

After further investigation and testing on the Total Recall Blu-Ray discs produced, we have found that using the audio fix we've provided and contacting the manufacturer of your player to inquire about new firmware is the best course of action to take to fix the audio issue.

We apologize for the inconvenience. Please feel free to contact us with any further inquiries.

Thank you for your continued patronage and for taking the time to contact us.

Regards,

Jay Walker

SPHE Consumer Affairs"

NOT acceptable at all!
post #208 of 338 Old 02-02-2013, 10:34 AM

Well mine has been returned and I will only buy DTSHD-MA titles from Sony now

My Blu-ray collection

post #209 of 338 Old 02-02-2013, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 91
My copy produces the drop-outs when bitstreaming the audio from a PS3. Quality control at the studios has gone down the drain since the home media implosion.

(last update: July 30, 2014)

post #210 of 338 Old 02-03-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathron View Post

NOT acceptable at all!

I agree 100%. I still strongly suggest that EVERYONE with this problem e-mail Sony to complain and request they issue a corrected disc. The more people that complain the higher the possibility of Sony doing the right thing!

Gerry
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Total Recall , Samsung 3d Blu Ray Player Model Bd E5500 , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Pioneer Bdp 51fd Bonusview Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread - S790 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page