post #61 of 71 Old 01-09-2013, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Man View Post

I watched it for the first time since college (mid-70s) recently. My knowledge of history of the period and conflicts was forgotten, so before watching I did a little homework. It helped me appreciate the events more. FWIW for you. smile.gif

Advice taken. smile.gif
I'll do just that.

Domino's donÂt fall all at once, they fall one at a time...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 71 Old 01-09-2013, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

I think the pacing is brilliant. It all comes down to the quality of directing, editing, and cinematography... besides the quality of the acting and script, of course. All were top notch. Epics just don't get much better than this!

Our friends from the UK know Lawrence quite well, but the average (or somewhat above average wink.gif) Joe here in the States does not. I found that understanding the history/biography of Lawrence a bit before I watched really helped me appreciate O'Toole's performance. That in turn freed my "processor" to engage in evaluation and enjoyment of other wonderful qualities of the film without distraction or confusion. I'm actually looking forward to viewing again soon to entertain/share with others.

I stumbled upon this rather good photo of David Lean with a Super Panavision camera. I think that is probably from Ryan's Daughter due to the good condition of the photo. He is looking through the reflex view checking finder. The offset finder that is used when the camera is rolling can be seen at the left edge of frame.

I can tell in this photo that the camera is a very comfortable tool for Lean. The tell (to the trained eye smile.gif) is the way his hands engage the wheels. That may look a bit imprecise, but it actually is very characteristic of a casual and even fond "feel" for the wheels in such a moment lining up or checking a shot. It's kind of an "at ease" position and conveys confidence like he wants to say to the operator "I could do this shot if you want to take a break". wink.gif
CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 100
post #63 of 71 Old 06-25-2014, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Lawrence of Arabia - November 13 2012 Collector's Edition Video Glitch

Just watched this and has anybody else noticed or can check if they can see what looks like a video dropout around 2hrs 14mins 7secs - the scene where Jack Hawkins (Genereal Allenby) accompanies Peter O'Toole to the officer's mess - the dropout is just below the right hand ceiling fan and is only noticeable for a split second.
post #64 of 71 Old 06-26-2014, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffreyc View Post
Just watched this and has anybody else noticed or can check if they can see what looks like a video dropout around 2hrs 14mins 7secs - the scene where Jack Hawkins (Genereal Allenby) accompanies Peter O'Toole to the officer's mess - the dropout is just below the right hand ceiling fan and is only noticeable for a split second.
I just watched this wonderful Blu-ray over two nights and the scene you reference is just prior to the Intermission...I did not notice any video glitches at all, whether here or anywhere else, but will try to rack it-up in the next day or so to check.

In fact while I'm sure there are many more than these, the only "flaws" I detected were not BD, but minor things like sand tracks that hadn't completely been erased (from prior takes) and especially being able to see the edge of the "barrel" or whatever cylindrical, probably concrete enclosure they'd used when one of Awrence's aides got caught in quicksand.

I have seen this movie many times, including its last big screen (public) appearance at the now-defunct Cooper theater in Minneapolis, own the laserdisc and Superbit DVD, and the bloody thing just gets better and better with every viewing!?!

cardoski likes this.

Last edited by Laserfan; 06-26-2014 at 05:58 AM.
post #65 of 71 Old 06-27-2014, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffreyc View Post
Yes, I can confirm this glitch. It's right here:

General: Easy, gentlemen. Please.
<glitch>
General: Can you give us something to drink?

It's very subtle, because it's right under the fan that is rotating about.

Congrats you found what is obviously a problem with the master.

post #66 of 71 Old 06-29-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Some scanlines are showing another part of (another?) picture.
post #67 of 71 Old 07-01-2014, 04:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 447
I watched this the other day and overall it looked outstanding, but there are some scenes with some slight edge enhancement if I want to be picky. This was seen on my JVC RS4810 pro calibrated projector and Panasonic VT60 plasma. I am just not sure why the need was felt to use any at all. Maybe Mr. Harris can chime in.

post #68 of 71 Old 07-03-2014, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benes View Post

It might be an encoding issue. I could spend $35 to see if it is on the 4K version...
The 4K version? How might this be available to the public--I haven't followed the 4K developments closely.

If it is available in 4K surely there must be SOMEONE here who is in possession of it.

Though it's not like I'd spend $10 grand to make a 1/10 of a second, un-noticeable-in-context glitch go away, even if it was my fave movie of all time...

post #69 of 71 Old 07-03-2014, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post
The 4K version? How might this be available to the public--I haven't followed the 4K developments closely.

If it is available in 4K surely there must be SOMEONE here who is in possession of it.

Though it's not like I'd spend $10 grand to make a 1/10 of a second, un-noticeable-in-context glitch go away, even if it was my fave movie of all time...

Sony's XFMP-X1 or whatever it's called. 4K content is downloaded to the device. I think they have over 100 movies now and lots of TV shows.

EDIT: I guess there's a new FMP-X10 coming out very soon with HDMI 2.0 2160p60 and Netflix 4K support as well as supporting all major codecs including H.265. Also, they now boast over 200 titles.

http://store.sony.com/sony-4k-ultra-...ternet-Players
Laserfan likes this.

Last edited by nathanddrews; 07-03-2014 at 06:43 AM.
post #70 of 71 Old 07-03-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post
Sony's XFMP-X1 or whatever it's called. 4K content is downloaded to the device. I think they have over 100 movies now and lots of TV shows.

EDIT: I guess there's a new FMP-X10 coming out very soon with HDMI 2.0 2160p60 and Netflix 4K support as well as supporting all major codecs including H.265. Also, they now boast over 200 titles.

http://store.sony.com/sony-4k-ultra-...ternet-Players
Thanks a lot for that. At first glance that player looks like a good deal, then I note that "the built-in 1TB hard drive can store about 20 movies" and I realize that a 50GB movie would kill my ISP bandwidth for four or five months!!!!

Here's hoping a disc-based delivery method is found for those of us who can't abide downloading!!!
post #71 of 71 Old 07-03-2014, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post
Thanks a lot for that. At first glance that player looks like a good deal, then I note that "the built-in 1TB hard drive can store about 20 movies" and I realize that a 50GB movie would kill my ISP bandwidth for four or five months!!!!

Here's hoping a disc-based delivery method is found for those of us who can't abide downloading!!!
Yeah, Sony's attempt is pretty poor. Only works with select Sony 4K TVs and has an atrocious DRM model. NO SALE.

On the bright side, the BDA (Blu-ray Disc Association) is finalizing their 4K plans and expects to have content on disc next year.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/bda-4k-201401093581.htm
Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page