Dredd - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #91 of 231 Old 01-11-2013, 03:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For those having issues with 3D playback on the Oppo 93, there is a quick fix.

Go to Setup --> Video Setup --> 3D Mode --> and change the option to Forced.

I had issues playing Dredd in 3D until I made this adjustment. The movie looks STUNNING in 3D by the way...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 231 Old 01-11-2013, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I'll have to try that. 3D looked horrible in my Oppo 95.

Kaboom.
post #93 of 231 Old 01-11-2013, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Tonight I will have to try the forced setting on my Oppo. I would really like to see the 3D version.
post #94 of 231 Old 01-11-2013, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut4772 View Post

I'll have to try that. 3D looked horrible in my Oppo 95.

What kind of horrible? I, too, was not impressed with the 3D on Dredd, due to major crosstalk. I'm using an Oppo 93, Panasonic 65VT50 (ISF calibrated), going through a Marantz SR7005. This combination has been outstanding for 3D (Prometheus, any pixar film etc, look tits). Anyone else having an issue?
post #95 of 231 Old 01-11-2013, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Just weird. Noisy Unwatchable. It's the first disc I ever have an issue with.

Kaboom.
post #96 of 231 Old 01-11-2013, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

This is also the only disc that has ever caused problems on the Oppo.
post #97 of 231 Old 01-11-2013, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16

FWIW, I watched Dredd last night in 2D on a 100" Stewart Firehawk + Sharp Z-20000 + Oppo 83, and I thought the both the movie, and the picture, were fantastic. I had no prior knowledge of "Dredd", had no preconceptions, and found the movie unrelentlessly entertaining, and particularly enjoyed its uncompromising, hyper-visualized violence. IMO, it doesn't matter if you classify it as "Sci-Fi" or not, as it stands on its own merits. Highly recommended.

Regarding the picture: From shot to shot, there are pronounced variations in the image, from smooth and very detailed, to grainy and rather noisy, which are obviously (to me) purposeful, artistic transitions, meant to occasionally convey the grimy world the story takes place in. I enjoyed these transitions, and would have found the movie too 'sterile', for lack of a better word, had the entire movie been shot with a more consistanly smooth image.

Regading the soundtrack: Nothing short of DEMO quality. Period.

post #98 of 231 Old 01-11-2013, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Could you possible capture a screen shot of one of these purposefully noisy scenes? I would like to compare to what I was seeing. I didn't get the impression it was on purpose but maybe it was.

Kaboom.
post #99 of 231 Old 01-11-2013, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

nfortunately, Quote:

Could you possible capture a screen shot of one of these purposefully noisy scenes? I would like to compare to what I was seeing. I didn't get the impression it was on purpose but maybe it was.

Hi wingnut! I'd like to oblige, but unfortunately, I don't have a BD drive in my computer to capture images.

But, are you not seeing wonderfully smooth, detailed images, juxtaposed with "noisey" images, throughout? For example (from memory), some of the "Slo-mo" shots are incredibly smooth and detailed, where many (but not all) of the shots within the corridors of the "Peach Trees" are grainy and noisy. IMO, this would have to be a purposeful decision and not an issue inherent in the mastering. If you are not seeing this juxtaposition, then we are not seeing the same thing!

post #100 of 231 Old 01-11-2013, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmbond View Post

nfortunately, Quote:

Hi wingnut! I'd like to oblige, but unfortunately, I don't have a BD drive in my computer to capture images.

But, are you not seeing wonderfully smooth, detailed images, juxtaposed with "noisey" images, throughout? For example (from memory), some of the "Slo-mo" shots are incredibly smooth and detailed, where many (but not all) of the shots within the corridors of the "Peach Trees" are grainy and noisy. IMO, this would have to be a purposeful decision and not an issue inherent in the mastering. If you are not seeing this juxtaposition, then we are not seeing the same thing!
Yes! That's on purpose? Ick! Lol

Kaboom.
post #101 of 231 Old 01-11-2013, 11:13 AM

I watched Dredd 3D several times now and the 3D is excellent.
Especailly the Slow Motion sequences. Those blew me away.
I wish there was more Slo-Mo. First time I have seen that used.
I thought the film had very effective use of 3D. Excellent depth.

Equiptment I played Dredd on was:
Panasonic BDT110 to Onkyo 709 to Epson 5010 and it looks awesome.
Panasonic BDT 310 dual out, direct to Samsung PN51D550 and audio to Onkyo 605.
Crystal clear on the D550. Image appeared sharper than the Epson.
Probably because the screen is so much smaller.
I think Plasma does better with 3D content than LCD as well.

What players and displays did the 3D look noisy and unwatchable on?
Could possibly be a defective disc?

I had audio dropout issues with Total Recall (2012) when using my OPPO BDP 83.
My BDT110 bitstreamed this disc without issues though.
I emailed Sony and they offered to replace the disc.

Maybe you should return Dredd for a new one?????
post #102 of 231 Old 01-11-2013, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes!
Yes! That's on purpose? Ick! Lol

Well, sarcasm aside, I'll stick with my thoughts on the purposefully "noisey" scenes, juxtapoised against cleaner ones.

You may want to check out the 3D review here:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/8071/dredd_3d.html

as it appears to fly in the face of your 3D experience.

The same review complains of digital noise in the 2D version apparently not present in the 3D version. My 3D TV is only 46", so not the best "reference" TV, but I'll watch it in 3D to see if I see the same intent.

post #103 of 231 Old 01-11-2013, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
okay story, repeating moments = borderline boring ... watched only for the awesome surround audio , nice photography details only in the slo-mo and outside shots...
only thing comparable to Judge Dredd are the helmets and guy's voice. using cheap bikes, and crap location shoot of most of the story... its kinda insulting ... come on ...a building... where did they get the script? craigslist ?
post #104 of 231 Old 01-11-2013, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The Stallone film was better IMO, with the huge budget and exploring the outter scorched earth. Limiting this to a high rise was a mistake. But its not boring smile.gif. Bullets and any other kind of ammo flying all over the place.

One thing the movie gets credit for...Urban wears the helmet the ENTIRE movie. The average actor's ego is way to big to be kept under a helmet biggrin.gif! Downey Jr. with the Iron Man suit on but no helmet on the Avengers poster smile.gif...Spiderman only a cameo in the latest movie...Thor stripped of his power so he can be Hemsworth for 80% of the movie smile.gif...so its TOUGH to get a truly accurate portrayal of your childhood comic heroes if A-listers are involved! For Urban to put the ego aside so the actual comic character gets 100% of the screen time is commendable!
post #105 of 231 Old 01-11-2013, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

anyone else having issues with the disc itself making horrible noises in your player?

i have tried 2 different copies and both of them cause my player (BDP-S580) to make the worst noises as if it was trying to spin an off center disc

i had to resort to streaming the digital copy from vudu just to watch the movie without fear of tearing up my player
post #106 of 231 Old 01-11-2013, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
This is one of the worst blu rays I've watched which is kind of dissapointing.

There was a lot of noise in some areas where there were none in others. Black levels looked great and some spots and had an awful blue/purple tint in others. It also seemed like there were "lines" in some scenes, it was very noise and it seemed like there were these tiny little horizontal lines all over the place, pics was sharp in some spots and seemed soft/awfully compressed in others.. The film "suttered" stopped on 3 different occasions. I have 30+ blu rays and have not had a single issue with any other ones.

This was watched in 2D not 3D.

EMP E55ti | EMP E56ci | Polk T15's for surround duty | Ultimax 15" Sub | Integra 40.2 | Rotel 976 | Panasonic 60ST60
post #107 of 231 Old 01-11-2013, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady195 View Post

This is one of the worst blu rays I've watched which is kind of dissapointing.

There was a lot of noise in some areas where there were none in others. Black levels looked great and some spots and had an awful blue/purple tint in others. It also seemed like there were "lines" in some scenes, it was very noise and it seemed like there were these tiny little horizontal lines all over the place, pics was sharp in some spots and seemed soft/awfully compressed in others.. The film "suttered" stopped on 3 different occasions. I have 30+ blu rays and have not had a single issue with any other ones.

This was watched in 2D not 3D.

Absolutely intentional. Much of the footage was given a low-rez security camera / documentary look, with many alternating cuts of different processed looks. It's part of the style of the film.
post #108 of 231 Old 01-11-2013, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

I watched Dredd tonight, and I liked it a lot. Visuals aside, this was a very well-cast movie, and they were very fortunate to get Karl Urban, Lena Headey, and Olivia Thirlby as their leads. Great performances all around. It's been a good long while since I've seen this kind of hard-edged action sci-fi.
post #109 of 231 Old 01-11-2013, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Watched this one tonight. Fun movie. I'd like a sequel but I know that's not likely.

The exterior shots of Mega-City One looked fantastic in 3D.

Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project

post #110 of 231 Old 01-11-2013, 09:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_R_STL View Post

Absolutely intentional. Much of the footage was given a low-rez security camera / documentary look, with many alternating cuts of different processed looks. It's part of the style of the film.

Knowing that I guess I can understand it, but in reality and for most; it looks horrible and there's no hint that this is what their going after, it goes from clean to noisy, soft and looking like there's a defect from one cut to the next without any thought as to how to make it seem intentional such as it being security camera footage etc instead of just someone being lazy that day during the shoot or editing room.

EMP E55ti | EMP E56ci | Polk T15's for surround duty | Ultimax 15" Sub | Integra 40.2 | Rotel 976 | Panasonic 60ST60
post #111 of 231 Old 01-12-2013, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Knowing that I guess I can understand it, but in reality and for most; it looks horrible and there's no hint that this is what their going after, it goes from clean to noisy, soft and looking like there's a defect from one cut to the next without any thought as to how to make it seem intentional such as it being security camera footage etc instead of just someone being lazy that day during the shoot or editing room.

There's nothing lazy about it. They had to select, edit, and process every single cut to make it look like that. It's a stylized look, but it was what they were going for. Personally, I think it fits the film.
post #112 of 231 Old 01-12-2013, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

+1
post #113 of 231 Old 01-12-2013, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
it does not have a "security camera" look
that noise is high ISO noise, its not "grain"
you could say it has moments of comic book stylized with the slo-mo scenes
post #114 of 231 Old 01-12-2013, 12:53 PM

Turns out I just had a bad disc, exchanged it and it worked fine.

Concur about it being high ISO noise, and also about it being intentional. Fits with the grungy 80s action movie aesthetic they were shooting for. They could've DNR'd it out for the home release,. but it would've looked terrible.
post #115 of 231 Old 01-12-2013, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls View Post

okay story, repeating moments = borderline boring ... watched only for the awesome surround audio , nice photography details only in the slo-mo and outside shots...
only thing comparable to Judge Dredd are the helmets and guy's voice. using cheap bikes, and crap location shoot of most of the story... its kinda insulting ... come on ...a building... where did they get the script? craigslist ?

I will admit, as "terrible" as the original Judge dredd was, and I mean terrible in that, its one of those movies thats not very good but its still an awesome moie if that makes any sense, I prefer the original to this, I was actually somewhat bored watching this movie when he wasn't killing anyone unlike the original where it seemed to actually have some story behind it..

The audio is great though.
bulls likes this.

post #116 of 231 Old 01-12-2013, 01:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:

I will admit, as "terrible" as the original Judge dredd was, and I mean terrible in that, its one of those movies thats not very good but its still an awesome moie if that makes any sense, I prefer the original to this, I was actually somewhat bored watching this movie when he wasn't killing anyone unlike the original where it seemed to actually have some story behind it..

The audio is great though.
+1000000

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #117 of 231 Old 01-12-2013, 03:21 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 707 Post(s)
Liked: 915
Quote:

But..... Rob Schneider.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #118 of 231 Old 01-12-2013, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fafhrd View Post

They could've DNR'd it out for the home release,. but it would've looked terrible.

Actually, they could have denoised and regrained for certain shots. It's done quite a bit actually. I've done it quite a bit myself with high ISO RED footage for clients. Applied properly and in the right order, the amount of detail lost is negligible.

I'm 99% certain they denoised and regrained the 3D version as noise is often problematic in stereo. Well, the raw camera noise anyway. Shooting two cameras means two different noise patterns.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #119 of 231 Old 01-12-2013, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neveser View Post

Watched this one tonight. Fun movie. I'd like a sequel but I know that's not likely.
I believe the director has already said that it's impossible due to Dredd not making enough money.
post #120 of 231 Old 01-12-2013, 11:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

But..... Rob Schneider.
LOL, yeah...I try to forget about him.wink.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Dredd 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy Ultraviolet

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page