Which movies are best for Audyssey DSX 11.2? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 10-23-2012, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
So my projector should arrive today and I am almost ready to start watching movies in my new theater. Needless to say, I am beyond excited! I have a Denon 4311 and am using all 11.2 available channels thru DSX processing. I would like to know what source content really stands out and lets DSX shine with all 11 speakers? I would like to watch those movies first to really get a feel for what this array of speakers can provide to the experience cool.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-23-2012, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 284
It has to be a very active surround mix since you're just using matrix post-processing on top of the main discrete channels for ambiance. Sometimes it just doesn't work very well and may mess up what the original sound designer had in mind.

The best luck I've had was with Dolby ProLogic IIx and Logic 7 where stereo back surrounds are synthesized from the discrete side surround channels of a 5.1 mix. However, it also required a very active sound field with lots of sound effects panning.

Wake me when there is a true 11.2 discrete surround lossless format.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #3 of 14 Old 10-25-2012, 01:57 AM

Liked: 50
Try some of these, most have some info left in the mix

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_8_channel_SDDS_films
pjvader likes this.
post #4 of 14 Old 11-03-2012, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
taken 2
brave
red tails
all had 11.1 versions released theatrically so there could be some info there to be extrapolated (when they are released on bd)
also expendables 2 will have an enhanced for 11.2 track i expect a few upcoming lionsgate releases may have that as they were one of the first to support 7.1 too
im still waiting on my amp to arrive, once i get it ill try and update what sounds great once i hear it:p

Please Visit My 11.2 3D Home Cinema Shed http://www.readersheds.co.uk/share.cfm?SHARESHED=2744 as featured in home cinema choice magazine! Check out my blu-ray THX WOW! demo disc here
post #5 of 14 Old 11-10-2012, 01:06 AM

expendables has a 11.2 channel checker on it eek.gif

Please Visit My 11.2 3D Home Cinema Shed http://www.readersheds.co.uk/share.cfm?SHARESHED=2744 as featured in home cinema choice magazine! Check out my blu-ray THX WOW! demo disc here
post #6 of 14 Old 11-10-2012, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjvader View Post

taken 2
brave
red tails
all had 11.1 versions released theatrically so there could be some info there to be extrapolated (when they are released on bd)
also expendables 2 will have an enhanced for 11.2 track i expect a few upcoming lionsgate releases may have that as they were one of the first to support 7.1 too
im still waiting on my amp to arrive, once i get it ill try and update what sounds great once i hear it:p

I thought Brave was Atmos, not Audyssey
post #7 of 14 Old 11-10-2012, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

I thought Brave was Atmos, not Audyssey

it is atmos at the cinema in the home audyssey is just the name of the processor in the amp i.e a dolby 5.1 can become 11.1 through audyssey dsx or dts neo:x through processing
there is a dolby atmos 9.1 disc out there though but no amp that i know of to decode it

post #8 of 14 Old 11-10-2012, 05:35 AM

Quote:

it is atmos at the cinema in the home audyssey is just the name of the processor in the amp i.e a dolby 5.1 can become 11.1 through audyssey dsx or dts neo:x through processing
there is a dolby atmos 9.1 disc out there though but no amp that i know of to decode it

Yes but the info is not there, it is not an 11.1 disc
post #9 of 14 Old 11-10-2012, 06:01 AM

Quote:

Yes but the info is not there, it is not an 11.1 disc
correct there are no 11.1 discs
the trondheim solstiene disc is a dolby aero 9.1 mix and the expendables is a 7.1 mix that is "optimized" of 11.1, if a soundtrack was 11.1 at the cinema then it stands a good chance that it might matrix well to 11.1 through processing of the 5.1 or 7.1 track im still waiting for my 11.2 amp to arrive (talk about a long wait arrgghhh!) but i have been trying tracks with just the height speakers to check for bleeding and so far its been great almost sounds discrete, 2 highlights so far the opening blockade runner battle from star wars really opens up the corridor sounds and the helicopter type things taking off in avatar it really does go up!

post #10 of 14 Old 11-10-2012, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 284
So, Dolby Atmos actually is a 9.1 channel discrete mix (as in 10 totally independent channels) and not 7.1 with 2 matrixed channels? I'm assuming the two extra channels are above-your-head ceiling channels as seen in the descriptions on Dolby's site. They don't, however, describe their system in detail.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #11 of 14 Old 11-10-2012, 09:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

So, Dolby Atmos actually is a 9.1 channel discrete mix (as in 10 totally independent channels) and not 7.1 with 2 matrixed channels? I'm assuming the two extra channels are above-your-head ceiling channels as seen in the descriptions on Dolby's site. They don't, however, describe their system in detail.

Dolby Atmos is an object-based sound format, not channel-based. One Atmos mix can support anywhere from basic stereo up to 64 independent speakers. The exact number of speakers in any given theater will depend on the size of the auditorium. Sounds will migrate to the most appropriate speaker based on the object's position in the three-dimensional space.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #12 of 14 Old 11-10-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:

correct there are no 11.1 discs
the trondheim solstiene disc is a dolby aero 9.1 mix and the expendables is a 7.1 mix that is "optimized" of 11.1, if a soundtrack was 11.1 at the cinema then it stands a good chance that it might matrix well to 11.1 through processing of the 5.1 or 7.1 track im still waiting for my 11.2 amp to arrive (talk about a long wait arrgghhh!) but i have been trying tracks with just the height speakers to check for bleeding and so far its been great almost sounds discrete, 2 highlights so far the opening blockade runner battle from star wars really opens up the corridor sounds and the helicopter type things taking off in avatar it really does go up!

Hence my link to the SDDS 8 titles, that is all there is, some neat effects once in 30 discs
post #13 of 14 Old 11-10-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:

Hence my link to the SDDS 8 titles, that is all there is, some neat effects once in 30 discs

i went to an SDDS presentation once it was great, shame it never got the coverage (at least here in the UK)
i too had the same idea about trying SDDS with the width speakers great minds eh! smile.gif if my amp ever arrives that is mad.gif

post #14 of 14 Old 11-30-2012, 03:19 AM

i caught a bit of rush hour on tv yesterday there was a scene where the swat team arrive at a building with a helicopter, it sounded great and really made use of the height width and surrounds the helicopter is hovering around the left height whilst the characters are talking then moves to the rears
another great helicopter scene was at the beginning of "drive" it circles the entire room eek.gif

Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page