Ice Station Zebra - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-29-2012, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I just finished watching Ice Station Zebra and not only is this a great film but the transfer allows one to just watch the film !!! Nuff said.smile.gif

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2012, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Thanks, I'll be getting that one. It's been quite a while since I saw it last (SD broadcast).

I like the pacing of that movie, it allows some character development and a plot that makes sense. So many more recent films have neither.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 51
It would be nice to see Gray Lady Down on blu-ray.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:39 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 332
I remember waiting for the DVD to come out and it they did a good job with it. I almost ordered this, but I'm going to wait a couple weeks or so for the Black Friday sales.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
Old 10-30-2012, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I did not even realize this was on Blu. I will be adding this to my wish list for sure, glad to hear it is a good transfer.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 121
This one snuck by me as well, thanks for the heads up. I'll wait for a price drop since I maybe watch the movie every few years.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Old 10-30-2012, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
To add a bit of pseudo-historic significance, this was purportedly Howard Hughes favorite film near the end of his life, or at least some sort of obsession. He reported watched in almost continuously 150 times.

I admit to having seen it at least half a dozen times, but over quite a few years.

And I bath regularly.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 56
The book by Alistair Maclean is even better than the movie. Check it out at your local public library sometime.

Cal68

Cal68
Old 10-30-2012, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBob57 View Post

And I bath regularly.

Important safety tip,thanks.wink.gif

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

Old 10-31-2012, 04:49 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Going a little OT, if you like this movie you should check out "The Bedford Incident" with Richard Widmark and Sidney Poitier. I stumbled on the last part of it on TV not too long ago and didn't recall seeing it before. It's not out on BD, but you can get HD viewing with a device that does Amazon Instant Video.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
Old 10-31-2012, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

Going a little OT, if you like this movie you should check out "The Bedford Incident" with Richard Widmark and Sidney Poitier. I stumbled on the last part of it on TV not too long ago and didn't recall seeing it before. It's not out on BD, but you can get HD viewing with a device that does Amazon Instant Video.
larry

The Bedford Incident - that's one I haven't seen in ages. Movies with nuclear war themes were coming out hot and heavy in the early-mid 60's.

Fail-Safe
Dr. Strangelove
Seven Days in May

I don't miss the 'Cold War' era and the above films are the chilling reminder why. Ice Station Zebra with Rock Hudson in the lead always seemed more like a rousing adventure story - which as John Carpenter said is a guilty pleasure.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Old 10-31-2012, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Until about the last 20 minutes, ICE STATION ZEBRA is pretty much reference material. It looks and sounds fantatstic. It's certainly reference material for it's era. After the two hour mark (give or take...I don't recall the time stamps) there there's some odd wobble and zoom in a few instances and some really bad optical effects that are very soft and display some static damage on the image. Almost a home run...except for a couple of unforced errors late in the game.

In most ways, it's actually the most realistic of the cold war thrillers. Submarines did (and still do) engage in a lot of intelligence gathering and espionage work. Some are equipped specifically to deliver swimmers and landing parties. It's just slightly unfortunate that the sub in ICE STATION ZEBRA is a WWII Balao class diesel-electric with a 1950's "GUPPY" conversion. It's not remotely like the atomic sub it's claimed to be but I guess that's all the Navy had available for shooting.

I have too many problems with most of the other cold-war thrillers of the era (DR. STRANGELOVE, as a dark comedy, is excepted). The characters in THE BEDFORD INCIDENT strike me as caricatures of cliches . Just way over the top. FAIL SAFE, for all of it's talented, powerhouse cast, is completely absurd.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
LOVE the film but I grimace at the fake snow effects (just the close ups) every time smile.gif
Old 11-01-2012, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ballentine View Post

LOVE the film but I grimace at the fake snow effects (just the close ups) every time smile.gif

That's part of it's charm. If you use pause and slow motion in a old film you can often spot the actor has been replaced by a stunt man in the action scenes, big deal.