X-Files (series) - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

Old 12-17-2015, 09:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3139 Post(s)
Liked: 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
I've been hooked on science fiction since I was a little kid in the 1950s. While my wife doesn't share my sci-fi passion, one series she did like was the X-Files. We regularly watched it when it was on TV but never saw all of the episodes. I was thrilled to learn of the Blu-ray release but a little put off by the box price of nearly $300. Yesterday while shopping at our local BJ's Wholesale Club I noticed they had the individual seasons for just $12.99 each, so I grabbed all 9 seasons for just $117. We have a lot of glorious binge watching ahead of us!

While we haven't started watching yet, I already know I prefer that the first 4 seasons were remastered to 1.78 widescreen. I'm looking at this not from the perspective of a video historian or an X-Files superfan but as a fan of quality sci-fi content. As we go through the 9 seasons and watch every episode in order for the first time, the continuity of having them all in the same aspect ratio will add to our entertainment experience. The fact that Chris Carter doesn't have a problem with the 1.78 aspect ratio because the first 4 seasons were shot with that in mind affirms to me that this was the best option for all but the hardcore purists who want to relive the series exactly as it first appeared.
It's only because the show's various DP's had safety margins of the 16x9 ratio in mind that the first four didn't have to be stretched and panned to create a pseudo widescreen frame.

There is, however, a problem (as seen above) with at least Season 8's video mastering (the wrong video levels were set... much like some of Sony's latest discs).

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2015, 10:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Been watching this on Amazon Prime in 16:9 1080p, looks fantastic and was a big surprise considering the date of production.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:08 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Scully with dark hair, in HD!

Picked up S1 at BB with Amazon PM to watch on my new Sammy J5200. We'll see how she flies. I really enjoyed this series in its initial run, but not sure how it'll seem in 2015. My expectations for the transfer are low given it was originally produced for SD TV viewing... Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but Ralph gave the series an overall video score of 88 in his review. I suspect that'll vary by season though.

Blu-ray Spotlight: The X-Files Collector's Set

"Buffy" on Blu wuld be cul tu.

ADU
Old 12-23-2015, 10:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 126
I'm mostly through Season 1 (just finished the werewolf episode) and the PQ is pretty good for the most part considering it's age. Outside the opening theme there's a few stock shots like buildings or cities that are obviously upscaled SD but most of the shots of the main characters and such are good. I've only noticed one scene (I forget the episode) where Mulder and Scully are walking down a hallway that looks like SD upscaled. The widescreen cropping doesn't even bug me but I'm not a die hard (though usually I prefer OAR but I'll make an exception due to it being shot in mind for WS and it's miles better than the DVD's).
ADU and Phantom Stranger like this.

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

Old 12-24-2015, 07:08 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Haven't had the chance to actually watch any full episodes yet. But based on a quick scan of some of the S1 eps, it doesn't look like the X-mas X-Files PQ miracle is happening yet. It'll be fun takin a little trip down memory lane with Mulder and Scully though. More about some of the PQ pros and cons later...

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 12-24-2015 at 09:46 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked: 717
I have a question for those who have the set. I'm doing custom Blu-ray covers for the individual seasons and I'd like to know if the cases are standard 11mm spine or if they're larger. Also, I can't find the back cover information anywhere - so if a gentle soul could send me scans (only of the back covers, so that all text is easily readable, including specs and legals) that would be awesome. PM me...thanks.

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."- Victor Hugo.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:15 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Can't help with the scans, but I have the individual seasons 1 & 2 (one wasn't enough to sate my X-Files appetite). The S1 case appears to be normal-sized. S2 is oversized. But it could be the only one, because some of the later seasons were also in normal-sized cases. Not sure if it's the same in the boxset.

I've finished S1, and now starting S2. PQ is a little inconsistent on the first season, but the 16:9 framing looks pretty good to me, and the video seems to play judder-free in 24 fps mode. There doesn't appear to be much tampering with the color either (iow, no teal and orange filtering).

The PQ seemed to improve (at least on some episodes) beginning with episode #10, "Fallen Angel". IMDb says this series was shot on 35mm film, but I wonder if some of the early episodes could've been bumped up to film from Hi8, because they have a little bit of that "look" to them. Could just be different film stocks or processing though.

This really was a great series for its day. More S10 spoilers...

Morpheo likes this.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 01-04-2016 at 09:19 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post
Can't help with the scans, but I have the individual seasons 1 & 2 (one wasn't enough to sate my X-Files appetite). The S1 case appears to be normal-sized. S2 is oversized. But it could be the only one, because some of the later seasons were also in normal-sized cases. Not sure if it's the same in the boxset.
Thanks for the info It looks like only season 2 is a 7-disc set from I've read, so my spines will be 15mm except for S2 which will be 25mm. Thanks ADU!

...everyone else, I still need my back cover scans! Thanks in advance - again contact me via pm.

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."- Victor Hugo.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:49 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post
Thanks for the info It looks like only season 2 is a 7-disc set from I've read, so my spines will be 15mm except for S2 which will be 25mm. Thanks ADU!

...everyone else, I still need my back cover scans! Thanks in advance - again contact me via pm.
I apologize, Morpheo. After a closer look at the cases, it appears the spine on the first season is also slightly larger than normal. S1 appears to be about 15mm wide, rather than the usual 12mm. And the spine on S2 is about 25mm wide. And my guess is that most of the other seasons are the same as S1 (though I haven't actually measured any of them).

I've watched about 10 episodes of S2 so far, and the PQ is about the same as S1. If you're used to watching really high quality theatrical transfers, the PQ on these probably won't impress too much. And the 16:9 framing also seems a bit tight at times on S2. At least it's HD though (sort of). I suspect the PQ will improve a little on the seasons that originally aired in HD. Most of the money was in S1 for me though, so I doubt I'll get any more of these.

ADU
Old 01-09-2016, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I apologize, Morpheo. After a closer look at the cases, it appears the spine on the first season is also slightly larger than normal. S1 appears to be about 15mm wide, rather than the usual 12mm. And the spine on S2 is about 25mm wide. And my guess is that most of the other seasons are the same as S1 (though I haven't actually measured any of them).
No problem, apologies not necessary thanks for checking ADU I'm starting to work on them this weekend...

I still haven't bought them, my custom covers will be for my own use as well (it's a initially a request), as my retail copies will come with this despicable bilingual packaging ...My only "HD" experience with the series so far is from Netflix (!), they don't look bad, but hopefully the Blu-ray is an improvement, although the earlier seasons on Netflix are SD and 4:3... I have still 5 episodes to go in season 9! (first time I watch S9)

Old 01-22-2016, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Target still has the first six seasons for $15, so if you want to pick up some entertainment for the Snowpocalypse, you won't find a better deal for that that amount of money.
Old 01-23-2016, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
Target still has the first six seasons for $15
Perfect.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I read somewhere that one of the DVDs or Seasons was a bad transfer in the "Collector's Set". But can't find any relevant information now. Does anyone know more about this?
Old 01-25-2016, 08:37 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl_Ballard View Post
I read somewhere that one of the DVDs or Seasons was a bad transfer in the "Collector's Set". But can't find any relevant information now. Does anyone know more about this?
Can't remember whether it was here somewhere else, but I recall reading that Season 8 may have been encoded with incorrect black levels. Not sure if that applies to just the Blu-ray edition, or both Blu-ray and DVD. You may be able to compensate by making an adjustment to the Brightness/black level on your display.

There are probably more details here.
Carl_Ballard likes this.

ADU
Old 01-26-2016, 07:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Can't remember whether it was here somewhere else, but I recall reading that Season 8 may have been encoded with incorrect black levels. Not sure if that applies to just the Blu-ray edition, or both Blu-ray and DVD. You may be able to compensate by making an adjustment to the Brightness/black level on your display.

There are probably more details here.
I found the info there. Thanks.
Old 02-29-2016, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl_Ballard View Post
I found the info there. Thanks.
Well it seems like they are still sending out bad stock to major retailers since I just ordered it at the end of last week and it arrive today and my season 8 has bad levels (from Amazon).
Old 02-29-2016, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 234
The replacement process for season 8 is remarkably simple and painless. Contact Fox's customer service by phone or email and they'll send you the corrected BDs.
skibum5000 likes this.

AVSforum's Blu-ray Picture Quality Rankings (Updated through May 30, 2016)
Old 03-16-2016, 07:39 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Just finished watching S1 again (for the third time, I think). I want Buffy in HD.

ADU
Old Yesterday, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 17
X-Files boxset too dark?

I read a while back that season 8 could be too dark visually
I'm on season 4 and it's definitely too dark
The outdoor scenes look fine but most of the indoor scenes are too dark
Does this get better in the following seasons or is it that just the way it is?
Old Yesterday, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake51 View Post
I read a while back that season 8 could be too dark visually
I'm on season 4 and it's definitely too dark
The outdoor scenes look fine but most of the indoor scenes are too dark
Does this get better in the following seasons or is it that just the way it is?
It may just be the way it is, it is a very dark show. I have not watched the Blu-rays, but the DVDs and Netflix are darkly lit on a lot of the indoor scenes and they have a lot of night time scenes that are very dark as well. Maybe they didn't have enough money to fully furnish the sets and they are just trying to hide that fact by not lighting it as well. I personally think it helps with the tone of the show. I did not watch it much when it aired on TV so I can't make that comparison.

Sharp LC-80LE844U | Marantz BD8002 | Marantz AV8003 | Marsh Sound Design A400s (FL/FR) | Marantz MM7055 (C/SL/SR) | Phase Tech PC 9.1 (FL/FR) | Phase Tech PC 3.1 (C/SL/SR) | 3 Phase Tech Octave Power-15 Subs | 1 REL R-528 Sub
Old Today, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Apparently, the black level in season 8 is a production error
http://www.xfilesvault.com/features/...u-ray-Problem/
See the screenshots about one third down the page
That's how my season 4 looks

Last edited by jake51; Today at 06:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement