X-Files (series) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 134 Old 11-13-2012, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
A number of our industry sources are now telling us that Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment is planning (and in fact may already be gearing up to) release their classic TV series The X-Files on Blu-ray. As fans will already be aware, the first four seasons of the show were produced in 4x3 format, like many TV programs of its era. The series then went to a 16x9 widescreen format for the remainder of its run, as anamorphic widescreen displays were starting to become common. The entire show was still broadcast in standard definition – not actual high-definition – and the visual effects and post-production were finished in SD. (Note that the first actual HD broadcast on Fox was for the 2004 NFL season, while X-Files ended its run in 2002.) Our sources say Fox has likely decided to “rebuild” the seasons in high-definition, in much the same way that CBS has done with Star Trek: The Original Series and Star Trek: The Next Generation. Provided all the original camera negative has been properly stored and archived, it’ll presumably be an easier task as the show featured fewer and less elaborate visual effects.

This wouldn’t be the first time Fox has upgraded a show to Blu-ray: They did something roughly similar with Firefly on Blu-ray back in 2008, although to be fair all of the show’s visual effects were upconverted to HD rather than re-rendered in actual high-definition to save costs.

If all goes well, we’re told the first seasons of The X-Files could appear on BD sometime in late 2013. We’ll post additional updates as they come in. Stay tuned…

Source:
http://thedigitalbits.com/columns/the-rumor-mill/is-fox-bringing-x-files-to-blu-in-2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 134 Old 11-13-2012, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Having recently revisited a few of my favorite episodes on Netflix, it didn't quite hold up how I wanted. Only the first 3-5 seasons interest me anyway, so if they do it right (proper 35mm scans, new or upscaled FX, lossless audio) and make it cheap enough, I may consider it. I still haven't seen the second X-Files movie. I was such a huge fan back in the day, I don't know why the series doesn't hold me like it once did. frown.gif
post #3 of 134 Old 11-13-2012, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
To me, the first 6 seasons or so definitely hold up. I don't know if it's nostalgia but to me there's something so watchable about the show.

I'll definitely be buying it, one of my favorite shows of all time.

I don't care about the T1000 season though, I stopped watching when Mulder left.
nathanddrews likes this.
post #4 of 134 Old 11-13-2012, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 34
One of only about 5 series I bothered to collect the entire run on dvd although the last few seasons are all but unwatchable now. Didn't they start shooting in HD or at least formatting film for (future) HD widescreen around season 7? I'm in for the first 3-4 seasons but I doubt I'll bother with the last couple seasons when the show took a hard nosedive. It's really going to depend on how good the first season looks on Blu-ray. I honestly don't expect STNG revelation in quality.
post #5 of 134 Old 11-13-2012, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky-Dinkins View Post

I don't care about the T1000 season though, I stopped watching when Mulder left.

IMO, everything started winding down when they moved production from Vancouver to LA. I don't know if the actors had checked out, the writers changed, or the atmosphere dried up (literally and figuratively), but that's when the show changed significantly. For me, in the wrong direction.

If the first few seasons look anywhere as good as TNG, I'll be satisfied.
post #6 of 134 Old 11-13-2012, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post

If the first few seasons look anywhere as good as TNG, I'll be satisfied.
I'll be blown away if they're anything near that. Wasn't the show filmed as cheaply as possible on 16mm early on?
post #7 of 134 Old 11-13-2012, 01:04 PM

Liked: 15
16mm? You gotta be kidding:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106179/technical

Panasonic TX-P42G30E
PS3
post #8 of 134 Old 11-13-2012, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Apparently I read wrong, assuming IMDB is accurate.
post #9 of 134 Old 11-13-2012, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation View Post

I'll be blown away if they're anything near that. Wasn't the show filmed as cheaply as possible on 16mm early on?

Even though we've established that X-Files was shot 35mm, 16mm benefits greatly from a solid transfer. Pride and Prejudice (BBC) being a prime example of how excellent 16mm can be on Blu-ray. Fox has no excuse with X-Files!
post #10 of 134 Old 11-13-2012, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Even a mediocre re-transfer of the original video and film elements at the moment should produce a significantly better visual experience than the DVDs, some of which look very dated in 2012. Fox should have started preparing this release around the time of the second movie, but better late than never. I wonder if this decision is precipitated by any movement towards a third film in the franchise?
post #11 of 134 Old 11-14-2012, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post

...any movement towards a third film in the franchise?
Never say "never again" I suppose, but I'm convinced that when Scully "waved goodbye" (an odd, computer-generated effect from x-hundred feet above the boat they were in) at the end of the last movie, that signalled the very end.
post #12 of 134 Old 11-14-2012, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post

Even though we've established that X-Files was shot 35mm, 16mm benefits greatly from a solid transfer. Pride and Prejudice (BBC) being a prime example of how excellent 16mm can be on Blu-ray. Fox has no excuse with X-Files!
Believe me, I know this. I was just under the apparently incorrect impression that the first few seasons were very, very rough from a video perspective.
post #13 of 134 Old 11-14-2012, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 37
The show just dragged on to long. I lost interest in season five or something. While there are some really good episodes (like Darkness Falls) I would want on BD, there is no way I want to purchase the entire show.

Good movies are as rare as an on topic discussion.
post #14 of 134 Old 11-14-2012, 07:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyslammer View Post

Didn't they start shooting in HD or at least formatting film for (future) HD widescreen around season 7?

The show aired in 16:9 on Fox's "Enhanced Widescreen" channel (which was 480p) starting in Season 5. It never aired in HD. I don't believe the VFX were ever rendered for HD, either.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #15 of 134 Old 11-14-2012, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Been waiting a long time for this news. I'm a big fan and will be an automatic day one purchase for me if its any kind of improvement over the DVDs.

Most of the episodes on DVD look terrible, mainly because of the lack of detail in dark scenes and we all know there A LOT of dark scenes in this series. If they can somehow clean up the crushed blacks I will be a happy camper and most likely buy every season to replace my complete series collection on DVD. This is also in spite of not being a huge fan of the later seasons when the show basically became a parody of itself and the mythology started getting a little too long winded and far out there. I also buy complete collections of shows and films I like anyways, for continuity sake. Never understood only buying certain parts.

As for a third film, I was under the impression 'I Want To Believe' was released as a primer for the next film continuing the X-Files mythology, and the success of I Want To Believe would determine how soon we'd see the next one. As we know it wasn't too successful. Don't understand why they didn't just do the mythology film instead. It most likely would have been more successful than a standalone story. Seems like they shot themselves in the foot on that one because now it may be tougher to get he studios approval for another production.

TC-P46G10 build date May 2009
Settings and Calibration Reports
post #16 of 134 Old 11-14-2012, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 41
The early, more standalone episodes worked well. The later stuff, including the two movies, no.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #17 of 134 Old 11-14-2012, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

The early, more standalone episodes worked well. The later stuff, including the two movies, no.

The first movie was great and did really well I thought. Second, not so much.

TC-P46G10 build date May 2009
Settings and Calibration Reports
post #18 of 134 Old 11-14-2012, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Haven't seen the X-Files in years. As with TNG, I'd love to revisit it in high-def. Count me in.
post #19 of 134 Old 11-14-2012, 11:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor|WAR View Post

As for a third film, I was under the impression 'I Want To Believe' was released as a primer for the next film continuing the X-Files mythology, and the success of I Want To Believe would determine how soon we'd see the next one. As we know it wasn't too successful. Don't understand why they didn't just do the mythology film instead. It most likely would have been more successful than a standalone story. Seems like they shot themselves in the foot on that one because now it may be tougher to get he studios approval for another production.

It was a budgetary decision, mostly. After the steep decline of the TV show's later seasons, Fox didn't have a lot of faith in the franchise. They allowed Chris Carter to make another movie, but with only a $30 million budget (compared to the first movie, which cost $66 million a decade earlier). Not a lot of money to stage an alien invasion with that. Carter was basically forced to make a stripped-down, "monster of the week" story instead. If it had done well, Fox might have upped the budget for the next one. But, of course, it didn't do well at all.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #20 of 134 Old 11-14-2012, 01:28 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Even the early few years: I don't think I could sit through a few dozen episodes of Mulder whining "The truth is out there! You can't stop the truth!" every time he has a near miss on some artifact,

-Bill
post #21 of 134 Old 11-16-2012, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I can't stand shows that build and build to a climax that never comes. Unless and until they come up with closure, like ABC did the The Fugitive years ago, I don't plan on going through the journey again. Been there, done that.
post #22 of 134 Old 11-16-2012, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 129
The X-Files "COPS" episode was awesome.

I will probably get this release.

Klipsch Image Ones
Klipsch x11i
Rega P5/Groovetracer/Denon DL-103R
Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre/SUT
Pioneer SC35
Bel Canto REF 500M
Klipsch Cornwall/Crites/Aletheia Audio
Klisch RC64II
Klipsch SW-115
OPPO BDP-93
Samsung PN64D8000
post #23 of 134 Old 11-16-2012, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 282
It really was sad watching the X-Files series die with a whimper rather than go out on a high note. The last "best of" clips episode of the show was just as bad as the Seinfeld finale. Heck, even the entire cast of Seinfeld thought it was terrible... hence the running joke on Curb Your Enthusiasm's Seinfeld reunion season.

I think if the last X-Files movie script had been stronger, there might have been a chance at a good Mythology wrap up.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #24 of 134 Old 11-17-2012, 10:43 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Our sources say Fox has likely decided to “rebuild” the seasons

Who writes this crap?
post #25 of 134 Old 11-18-2012, 10:36 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor|WAR View Post

Most of the episodes on DVD look terrible, mainly because of the lack of detail in dark scenes and we all know there A LOT of dark scenes in this series.

Another thing I noticed was that up until season 3, some of the episodes had flickering rainbow colors in them. From what I understand rainbows and chroma noise are from composite video. DVD uses component video if I'm not mistaken. Not sure why they didn't use a high quality cable for making the DVD, but I'm glad it's getting a Blu-ray release.

I was so excited about this yesterday when I heard the news.
post #26 of 134 Old 11-19-2012, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
There may come a time when I feel differently, but the thought of watching the entire show again makes me tired. Perhaps if they would release a set of the mythology episodes only, I'd be all over that.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Snake Plissken

post #27 of 134 Old 05-11-2013, 01:20 PM

Liked: 832
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/the-rumor-mill/true-lies-abyss-2014-x-files-twin-peaks

Apparent fox think it's smart to bring in HTV-Illuminate. Looks like I'll be staying away, as I can't forgive them for the botched jobs they did with Patton and TNG:Season 2.

Fox is already cheapo'ing out and only up-converting any FX sequences. Luckily, there's probably quite a few less than most scifi, but it still hurts that they're not giving this a proper restoration. If they;re not careful HTV will DNR the whole series too.
post #28 of 134 Old 05-14-2013, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I really don't mind if the VFX shots are upscaled, it didn't turn out that badly on the Firefly Blu-rays. Remember the X-Files had nine seasons. Redoing all of the VFX for 1080P would have been a massive undertaking and almost certainly not economical for Fox.
post #29 of 134 Old 05-14-2013, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post

I really don't mind if the VFX shots are upscaled, it didn't turn out that badly on the Firefly Blu-rays. Remember the X-Files had nine seasons. Redoing all of the VFX for 1080P would have been a massive undertaking and almost certainly not economical for Fox.

I would've thought the TNG Blu-rays put the notion to rest that redoing FX work in HD isn't economical. Granted, TNG probably has a larger audience and better chance at higher sales, but it's also way more FX-heavy than X-Files and requires far more effort to rework the effects shots.

If they can't be bothered to do it right, I'll wait until the HD remasters are on Netflix instead of buying the Blu-rays like I'm doing with TNG. That's the difference between doing it cheaply and doing it right.
post #30 of 134 Old 05-14-2013, 04:25 PM

Liked: 832
X-Files is also a series that loved to play in the dark. Going from HD to SD when light levels are so low is going to be very jarring.

I do wonder if they even have the original reels. TNG was only possible because the they kept the daily reels and while their “masters” were on tape, they were able to go back and edited the daily’s into new masters. That included the unedited FX shots which only needed to be composited, rotoscoped and touched up with CGI (for the most part).

It might just be that Fox only has film masters that have the original SD FX baked in?

Still, shame on them (among others) for not future proofing their IP’s. Nothing like saving a few million at the time and over the years on multi-billion dollar IP’s syndicated all over the world. Oops.
KMFDMvsEnya likes this.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page