Disney's BRAVE - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 114 Old 11-18-2012, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
thebland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
Posts: 24,127
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Didn't see a thread on this.

THe story is cute, unoriginal and entertaining though if you have young kids, they'll enjoy it.

My comment here is really on the technical aspects the audio track. This 7.1 Dolby TRUE HD soundtrack is amazing. I don't know that I've ever heard a more active, full on 7.1 mix with a number of discrete rear and side effects that are perfectly blended into the soundscape. It was a fantastic reference soundtrack that had more discrete effects than any other soundtrack I've ever experienced. There are a few low frequency bass scenes and other good bass scenes but is not a bass heavy movie - but there;s plenty of low end there to like and you rarely feel anything was left out. Just great!

PQ was stellar. I mean, really stellar!

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
thebland is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 114 Old 11-18-2012, 05:58 AM
 
dvdmike007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 8,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Are you able to test height channels?
dvdmike007 is offline  
post #3 of 114 Old 11-18-2012, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
thebland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
Posts: 24,127
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 185
No, I'm simply 7.1. I'm sure it could've even added more to this great mix. If studios could mix all tracks like this 7.1 sound track, there'd be less need for more channels to fill in the space.

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
thebland is online now  
post #4 of 114 Old 11-18-2012, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Rutgar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 5,447
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Pixar Films are usually dependably good. So I blind bought this one. As usual for Pixar, the video/audio was top notch. But the story was disappointing, silly, and simplistic, with a predictable ending. As the OP suggested, little kids will probably enjoy it.

Rental at best.

Rutgar is offline  
post #5 of 114 Old 11-18-2012, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JazzGuyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Oro Valley AZ
Posts: 2,767
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Nothing but adults in our house and we enjoyed it. Certainly not the best Pixar movie ever but still better than a lot of the schlock that sees the light of day.

JazzGuyy is offline  
post #6 of 114 Old 11-18-2012, 07:44 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,496
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Totally agree with you Bland! Amazing audio on this one! Here is a cut and paste of my comments after watching which I put in Ralph's thread......

Just got done with the 2d version and what a great blind buy! I truly enjoyed it all around. I actually found the story very satisfying and very Pixar worthy, even if it felt more like a Disney/Dreamworks hybrid? Whatever it was, I really enjoyed it and not a dull moment and would probably place it mid pack overall among the Pixar films (Cars and Cars 2 IMO are the two weakest films in the Pixar cannon and both are still very good from my perspective). I thought it offered up plenty for adults and kids alike just like most other Pixar films. I kept thinking throughout the movie what a perfect double feature this would make one night with How To Train Your Dragon. HTTYD and Brave have a similar feel in ways such as the character personalities and general look/feel of the two time periods.

PQ was exceptional and nothing more to say there. Not the absolute best looking animated title I have seen due to the art style, but gorgeous all the same.

Audio was flat out perfect IMO! One of the best all around audio tracks I have heard lately with everything hitting with appropriate weight and impact. I feel that some of the more recent Pixar films have been slightly conservative in the LFE department compared to tracks like Nemo, The Incredibles, Monsters Inc, but Brave felt like it belonged among Pixars best in the low end as there was nothing conservative here! The rest of the audio was just as good with incredible surround work, awesome dynamics and perfectly mixed dialog............I loved this track! The last big action scene was truly demo worthy IMO as well and I LOVE when a movie/audio track saves the best for last which was the case here.

All around awesome HT experience and very glad I blind bought it! smile.gif Cant wait to check out the 3d next watch! cool.gif

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Toe is online now  
post #7 of 114 Old 11-18-2012, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mr.G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgar View Post

Pixar Films are usually dependably good. So I blind bought this one. As usual for Pixar, the video/audio was top notch. But the story was disappointing, silly, and simplistic, with a predictable ending. As the OP suggested, little kids will probably enjoy it.
Rental at best.

Agree. I saw this in a Dolby Atmos theater in Chicago. The selfish 'heroine' is totally irritating throughout and only redeems herself in the last 10 minutes, not soon enough to make the story very rewarding. For a Pixar movie it ranks at the bottom of my list. Yes, the sound and picture on the Blu-ray may be exceptional but sometimes that's not enough.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Mr.G is offline  
post #8 of 114 Old 11-18-2012, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
pcweber111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: In a van, down by the river.
Posts: 3,568
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Yeah this wasn't the best Pixar movie ever but it was still enjoyable. Technically this is typical Pixar; which is to say amazing. The hair was especially impressive as was the lighting. They're miles ahead of the competition in this regard. It's not even close.
pcweber111 is offline  
post #9 of 114 Old 11-18-2012, 01:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
NetworkTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: CT
Posts: 15,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 527
I enjoyed the movie overall, but found I didn't really have that investment in the characters I normally do with Pixar offerings. In particular, the triplets left little impression on me by having almost no dialog and being used only for the occasional hijink scene. Their scenes improved margionally as bears.

Plus, I think they could have used the legend and the mystery surrounding it a bit better to maybe provide some sort of surprise element toward the end instead of leaning so hard toward the predictable ending they chose.
NetworkTV is offline  
post #10 of 114 Old 11-18-2012, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jedi2016's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I think it tried a bit too hard to be a classic "Disney Princess" movie, and it lost the depth that Pixar films usually have.

It wasn't a bad film by any stretch, and it's not the worst that Pixar has put out. But it's not their best, either. Still, I have all of the Pixar films... this one will go on the shelf as well, no questions asked. smile.gif

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
Jedi2016 is offline  
post #11 of 114 Old 11-18-2012, 11:47 PM
Senior Member
 
johncourt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 388
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I'm about a third of the way through it.

The story is unoriginal. The 'spunky princess' theme has been wrung totally dry.

The visuals are nice. Pixar has an infinite number of cpu clock cycles to work with; what do they want to do with them? Create super realistic looking animation? On a few close ups here and there, sure. Or, stick with an 'animated' look which is far from realistic? Yeah, there's a lot of that too. The 'look' is neither here nor there; there's no consistent 'look' to the film as it mixes up hyper realistic looking elements along with rather simplistic animation elements together in the same scenes.

There's comedy, but the film is not very funny. There's drama but the story is utterly familiar and predictable.

Kind of a pointless movie. The heroine is a redhead this time. That's a new spin. Otherwise, a rather dry snoozefest.
johncourt is offline  
post #12 of 114 Old 11-19-2012, 06:04 AM
CIH USER
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Well I'm looking forward to watch it this Wednesday.

_________________________

Frank
Franin is offline  
post #13 of 114 Old 11-19-2012, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BIG ED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: California Wine Country
Posts: 3,291
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

Yeah this wasn't the best Pixar movie ever but it was still enjoyable. Technically this is typical Pixar; which is to say amazing. The hair was especially impressive as was the lighting. They're miles ahead of the competition in this regard. It's not even close.
The 'hair (fur, scales, etc... )' & 'lighting' on ILM's "Rango" will compete w/"Brave" no problemo.
[too badd bout the transfer tho]

"I wonder if any of the releases had slipcovers though."
"Are these comfirmed to have slipcovers?"
"They look nice in those slips."
"This slipcover looks too good to pass up."
BIG ED is offline  
post #14 of 114 Old 11-19-2012, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
nathanddrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 959
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED View Post

The 'hair (fur, scales, etc... )' & 'lighting' on ILM's "Rango" will compete w/"Brave" no problemo.
[too badd bout the transfer tho]

I think your keyboard is broken.

I still haven't seen this film, but I'm prepared to blind buy it. Ultimately, Pixar delivers with every movie. Some more than others, but I have yet to regret giving them my money. Can't wait for the cheap price!
nathanddrews is online now  
post #15 of 114 Old 11-19-2012, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
KBMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Grass Valley, CA
Posts: 2,898
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I didn't like the 'Cars' approach, and I like the time period that Brave takes place. Looking forward to RENTING this. Then if I like, I will buy, like I did with Kung Fu Panda and HTTYD.....

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

KBMAN is offline  
post #16 of 114 Old 11-20-2012, 06:34 AM
Senior Member
 
Vonbek777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone else have an audio glitch toward the end of Brave? Sound cutout, and I lost picture for half a sec. Only happened once. Don't have the timestamp, but it was in the battle near the end. Also had some weird audio sync issues on the Pixar Collection 2.
Vonbek777 is offline  
post #17 of 114 Old 11-20-2012, 08:24 AM
Senior Member
 
gstspyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Jackson michigan
Posts: 497
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
try clearing the memory in your player

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman"

gstspyder is offline  
post #18 of 114 Old 11-20-2012, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
space2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,065
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 23
This is the First movie to Use the Authoring process of Dolby Atmos. Wondering if that has anything to do with it.
space2001 is offline  
post #19 of 114 Old 11-20-2012, 09:14 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,496
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonbek777 View Post

Anyone else have an audio glitch toward the end of Brave? Sound cutout, and I lost picture for half a sec. Only happened once. Don't have the timestamp, but it was in the battle near the end. Also had some weird audio sync issues on the Pixar Collection 2.

Quite a few reports of this now from various blu players and various receivers. Apparently it has something to do with the way Disney authored the disc (branching file structure) in an effort to prevent disc copying software from doing its thing. I had one audio (maybe video as well now that you mention it) drop as well in the film. If it is the reason why the rest of us had this issue, it is not repeatable so a timestamp does not matter.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Toe is online now  
post #20 of 114 Old 11-20-2012, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
thehun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Wine country CA
Posts: 7,419
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Yep I had audio drop out myself twice, on the first two chapters. They were extremely brief though but nonetheless noticeable.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
thehun is online now  
post #21 of 114 Old 11-20-2012, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rick240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 3,551
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Quite a few reports of this now from various blu players and various receivers. Apparently it has something to do with the way Disney authored the disc (branching file structure) in an effort to prevent disc copying software from doing its thing. I had one audio (maybe video as well now that you mention it) drop as well in the film. If it is the reason why the rest of us had this issue, it is not repeatable so a timestamp does not matter.

Is there a solution? Player firmware upgrade maybe...

rick240 is offline  
post #22 of 114 Old 11-20-2012, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JazzGuyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Oro Valley AZ
Posts: 2,767
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Brave Blu-Ray 2D via Oppo 83SE 5.1 analog audio out to Rotel pre/pro, HDMI to Pioneer 151FD and no audio or video dropouts. No synch issues either. The dropouts may depend on your system's configuration to some extent.

JazzGuyy is offline  
post #23 of 114 Old 11-20-2012, 05:58 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,496
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 View Post

Is there a solution? Player firmware upgrade maybe...

No solution as it appears to be the way the disc is authored. It is happening on all combos of equipment. You could watch the movie and have no issues, then have issues the next watch.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Toe is online now  
post #24 of 114 Old 11-20-2012, 06:09 PM
CIH USER
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Will check on mine tonight.

_________________________

Frank
Franin is offline  
post #25 of 114 Old 11-20-2012, 06:26 PM
Member
 
applesandrice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: In my parents' basement.
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Audio dropouts from start to finish with my disc, when played on my dad's setup. The opening five minutes and the final 15-20 were the worst.

Always happy when crap like this occurs with a six and a half year old format ... rolleyes.gif
applesandrice is online now  
post #26 of 114 Old 11-20-2012, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Rutgar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 5,447
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

Brave Blu-Ray 2D via Oppo 83SE 5.1 analog audio out to Rotel pre/pro, HDMI to Pioneer 151FD and no audio or video dropouts. No synch issues either. The dropouts may depend on your system's configuration to some extent.

Same player and disc. Only, I'm using the analog outs from the Oppo into my Pre/Pro. No audio problems at all with this disc.

Rutgar is offline  
post #27 of 114 Old 11-21-2012, 07:11 AM
Member
 
geoffreyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
To those of you experiencing audio dropouts with your copy of 'Brave' (Have only played 2D version so far) - I found by switching the player to output LPCM instead of Bitstream there were no dropouts

Tried on Oppo BDP-93 & Toshiba BDX3200
geoffreyc is offline  
post #28 of 114 Old 11-21-2012, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
bguzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Stockton, CA
Posts: 787
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Brave 2D version bitstreamed at 7.1 from an Oppo 83 to a Mitsubishi HC6500 via an Onkyo 707. No dropouts observed.

bguzman is online now  
post #29 of 114 Old 11-21-2012, 10:15 AM
CIH USER
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Totally agree with you Bland! Amazing audio on this one! Here is a cut and paste of my comments after watching which I put in Ralph's thread......
Just got done with the 2d version and what a great blind buy! I truly enjoyed it all around. I actually found the story very satisfying and very Pixar worthy, even if it felt more like a Disney/Dreamworks hybrid? Whatever it was, I really enjoyed it and not a dull moment and would probably place it mid pack overall among the Pixar films (Cars and Cars 2 IMO are the two weakest films in the Pixar cannon and both are still very good from my perspective). I thought it offered up plenty for adults and kids alike just like most other Pixar films. I kept thinking throughout the movie what a perfect double feature this would make one night with How To Train Your Dragon. HTTYD and Brave have a similar feel in ways such as the character personalities and general look/feel of the two time periods.
PQ was exceptional and nothing more to say there. Not the absolute best looking animated title I have seen due to the art style, but gorgeous all the same.
Audio was flat out perfect IMO! One of the best all around audio tracks I have heard lately with everything hitting with appropriate weight and impact. I feel that some of the more recent Pixar films have been slightly conservative in the LFE department compared to tracks like Nemo, The Incredibles, Monsters Inc, but Brave felt like it belonged among Pixars best in the low end as there was nothing conservative here! The rest of the audio was just as good with incredible surround work, awesome dynamics and perfectly mixed dialog............I loved this track! The last big action scene was truly demo worthy IMO as well and I LOVE when a movie/audio track saves the best for last which was the case here.
All around awesome HT experience and very glad I blind bought it! smile.gif Cant wait to check out the 3d next watch! cool.gif

Have to agree with you there Todd fantastic Aq and Pq, I enjoyed it another Pixar success.

_________________________

Frank
Franin is offline  
post #30 of 114 Old 11-21-2012, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
badboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon (Home Farm, Emmerdale, Yorks)
Posts: 1,627
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Dropouts on all 4 of my BD players with this disc (Oppo 83, 103, Panasonic BD75 and a Sony 470) HDMI to Marantz AV7005. Seems that TrueHD 7.1 discs are problematic for all my players. Walking Dead bd's are the same. Periodic dropouts here and there. Shouldn't be dealing with these issues this far in. Just sayin'.
badboi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Software

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off