post #1 of 17 Old 12-06-2012, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
The review here
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/One-From-the-Heart-Blu-ray/56237/#Review
shows a strange artifact on all stills (vertical striping). I remember I have seen this before in early blu rays but can't remember which titles. Anyone remember them and what caused it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-06-2012, 05:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 233
FWIW, the movie looks and sounds fine on BD. I don't notice anything odd.
post #3 of 17 Old 12-07-2012, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

FWIW, the movie looks and sounds fine on BD. I don't notice anything odd.
Then you don't see 1080p detail. The problem is obvious on the stills. The artifact is nasty and needs to be removed.
post #4 of 17 Old 12-07-2012, 05:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks for letting me know what I did or didn't see. rolleyes.gif I don't watch stills, I watch movies. Have you actually watched it?
post #5 of 17 Old 12-07-2012, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You let me know what you did not see. rolleyes.gif
What is to be seen is clearly visible in the stills. I'm really tired of the argument that watching movies is somehow different from watching stills when image artifacts/attributes are involved that do not or little depend on the frame rate and the temporal dynamics of the image (such as sharpening or aliasing or crushed blacks etc.) but rather if you see 1080p detail and/or know what to look for.
post #6 of 17 Old 12-07-2012, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhafner View Post

What is to be seen is clearly visible in the stills. I'm really tired of the argument that watching movies is somehow different from watching stills when image artifacts/attributes are involved that do not or little depend on the frame rate and the temporal dynamics of the image (such as sharpening or aliasing or crushed blacks etc.) but rather if you see 1080p detail and/or know what to look for.

Have you actually watched the BR?
post #7 of 17 Old 12-07-2012, 10:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I think anyone familiar with the history of this film, how it was made, etc., will expect to see issues with PQ compared to most feature films. That said, the BD is light-years better than any previous releases. I don't think there's much question that this is the same transfer used for the DVD release done a couple years ago.

But the real treat here is in the audio, both the content and the quality.
post #8 of 17 Old 12-07-2012, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

I have both releases and there isn't a huge difference between the two. Yes, the BR is better in all aspects, but the question is to what degree. Given that One From the Heart was not previously available via BR, this was an automatic purchase, especially in a 5 film BR set <$30.
post #9 of 17 Old 12-07-2012, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

I think anyone familiar with the history of this film, how it was made, etc., will expect to see issues with PQ compared to most feature films.

Yeah, the way they made this film of course you would expect to see a digital grid overlaying the picture.
post #10 of 17 Old 12-09-2012, 03:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010 View Post

Quote:

Have you actually watched the BR?

No. Irrelevant, unless the stills are NOT accurate. I don't have to watch the BD to know what it looks like regarding this artifact, IF the stills are accurate. Just the same as I don't have to watch the old Patton BD to know it lacks fine detail and features an oversmoothed unauthentic look of the film. The stills provided that information already. Why is that so hard to grasp?
post #11 of 17 Old 12-09-2012, 04:13 AM

Liked: 10
I'm with you mhafner. i would also like to know if someone can confirm (or deny) that the screenshots on blu-ray.com are accurate.

Because if they are, there's a weird vertical grid covering the entire film.
Below is a blowup. Look a the strange lines going through. All the screenshots on blu-ray.com show the same artifacts...
The reviewer, Jeffrey Kauffman, gave the transfer a rating of 1 of 5 because of the distracting nature of the issue/artifacts.
I would very much like to know if this is a real problem with the BD, or a local problem with the reviewer's system/computer.

post #12 of 17 Old 12-09-2012, 07:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I don't often watch movies at 200% zoom. But if I did, I would find many artifacts in this movie, one of which is some faint vertical lines in some scenes. In actuality the lines are FAR less obvious that this reviewer is depicting, and are only seen in some scenes and ONLY when zooming. Like I said, there are MANY PQ issues, this is just one of them. Randomly selecting scenes shows these lines in about 1/3 of them. I can think of several different types of video processing that would magnify the lines, but on my ISF calibrated display they are very faint. There is so much garbage on this film print, these lines fail to rise to the level of "objectionable". More of a curiosity and if you're not looking for it you probably will never notice it.

Not that it matters, since this is the only scan of this film we are likely to ever see, not to mention it's the one and only print ever released on video. If artifacts prevent you from enjoying an amazing little film, then don't watch it. This movie was unreleased on video for 25 years, and I'm glad to have it.
post #13 of 17 Old 12-09-2012, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No. Irrelevant, unless the stills are NOT accurate. I don't have to watch the BD to know what it looks like regarding this artifact, IF the stills are accurate. Just the same as I don't have to watch the old Patton BD to know it lacks fine detail and features an oversmoothed unauthentic look of the film. The stills provided that information already. Why is that so hard to grasp?

We have had a similar discussion with Moon in the Gutter BR. Assume that the stills are accurate. If these kinds of artifacts bother you in normal viewing, then you should not purchase One From the Heart BR. It is not likely in the near term future that it will look any better than it does today. Although there is a large piece of dust easily viewable in one scene that was missed; somewhat reminiscent of the dust easily seen on a print of Paris, Texas(opening desert scene) that was transferred onto DVD, but removed by Criterion in their BR edition. Coppola does this stuff because he wants the BRs out in the market and available to those who are willing to purchase them. He makes a hell of a lot more from his wines which easily finance his film making with its associated activities.
post #14 of 17 Old 12-10-2012, 10:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Haven't seen the disc. Have only seen the movie on VHS many years ago, which doesn't count for anything. These vertical lines make me wonder if Coppola may have shot the movie with that old trick of putting a stocking over the lens as a cheap diffusion filter? Could we be seeing the texture of the stocking?

Maybe not. Just spitballing an idea here.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #15 of 17 Old 12-10-2012, 11:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Haven't seen the disc. Have only seen the movie on VHS many years ago, which doesn't count for anything. These vertical lines make me wonder if Coppola may have shot the movie with that old trick of putting a stocking over the lens as a cheap diffusion filter? Could we be seeing the texture of the stocking?
Maybe not. Just spitballing an idea here.

The bonus features detail most of the "new" technology used in the making of the film, including the first ever full video system used. It's not clear what, if any, elements of the final print might have been sourced from video. Coppola was WAY out there for the time with the use of video. But it's safe to say that many elements were being over-laid to get the composite shots, and nearly every shot is a composite. We also don't know the actual source for this transfer, AFAIK.
post #16 of 17 Old 12-10-2012, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

I think anyone familiar with the history of this film, how it was made, etc., will expect to see issues with PQ compared to most feature films.

That is rediculous. This is a beautifully shot film that looks better than 95% of other films released the same year.

Quote:

It's not clear what, if any, elements of the final print might have been sourced from video.

None.

Quote:

Coppola was WAY out there for the time with the use of video.

Video assist is not the same as actually shooting on video.

Quote:

But it's safe to say that many elements were being over-laid to get the composite shots, and nearly every shot is a composite. We also don't know the actual source for this transfer, AFAIK.

No, it is not safe to say that.

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. Can you please stop?
post #17 of 17 Old 12-10-2012, 05:10 PM

Liked: 50
Whats up in this thread? Oh erm, yeah no

Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page