Willow (1988) - Page 3 - AVS Forum
1  2  3
Blu-ray Software > Willow (1988)
plissken99's Avatar plissken99 02:46 PM 03-18-2013
I grew up watching Willow. It's a childhood favorite of mine, however I watched it a few months back on DVD(your welcome, I'm why the Blu Ray got announced), and it just doesn't hold up well. With Lord of the Rings in existence, there's not much point to watching it. Especially since they screwed up the transfer.

batutta's Avatar batutta 04:26 PM 03-18-2013
I actually thought it held up better than I anticipated. The first 40 minutes or so are rough going, with some spotty acting from the dwarf actors, but once Val Kilmer as Mardmartigan shows up it starts getting better. The dynamic between him and Willow is fun to watch, and Warwick Davis's acting seems to improve whenever they have scenes together. And the last 30 minutes or so are pretty darn good in my opinion. And James Horner's score doesn't get much better. No, it's no Lord of the Rings, but if I'm being honest I think it's a better film than The Hobbit.
Gamereviewgod's Avatar Gamereviewgod 08:02 PM 03-18-2013
Quite honestly, I'd pick this over Lord of the Rings, mostly because I only need to dedicate two hours. LotR are three hours plus, and not being super into the whole sorcery/fantasy thing, this is just breezier material to digest. A ton of fun to watch, and the effects work is substantial.
plissken99's Avatar plissken99 08:09 PM 03-18-2013
By that logic why read a book if its more than a hundred pages.
42Plasmaman's Avatar 42Plasmaman 08:38 PM 03-18-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod View Post

Quite honestly, I'd pick this over Lord of the Rings, mostly because I only need to dedicate two hours. LotR are three hours plus, and not being super into the whole sorcery/fantasy thing, this is just breezier material to digest. A ton of fun to watch, and the effects work is substantial.
Then you'd probably enjoy Legend on blu-ray with Tom Cruise.tongue.gif
Gamereviewgod's Avatar Gamereviewgod 08:42 PM 03-18-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by plissken99 View Post

By that logic why read a book if its more than a hundred pages.

Different medium. I can pick away at a book. I don't feel the same with a movie. When I sit down to watch something, that's what I'm doing. I don't like breaking them up over sessions.
wmcclain's Avatar wmcclain 11:36 AM 03-20-2013
My capsule review and thumbnails: Willow (1988)

-Bill
KBMAN's Avatar KBMAN 01:22 PM 03-22-2013
was not that impressed with this one. Colors off, and not quite as sharp as what I was expecting. It is, however, a 'fun' film that will have a nice place in my collection (again)....
RobertR's Avatar RobertR 03:13 PM 03-22-2013
Quote:

One wonders why you watch something you're not "into".
KBMAN's Avatar KBMAN 11:28 PM 03-22-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post

Because most people are sucked into, shoved down our throats, kind of society. Sometimes we watch, do things that is the 'norm'. The 'norm' is VERY scued at best.....now you can live your OWN life rolleyes.gif
Gamereviewgod's Avatar Gamereviewgod 08:41 AM 03-23-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post

Because I review this stuff? It's not that I HATE it, it's just not my wheelhouse.
RobertR's Avatar RobertR 02:53 PM 03-28-2013
Quote:

Because I review this stuff? It's not that I HATE it, it's just not my wheelhouse.
You sound like a restaurant reviewer who tells people "I don't particularly care for the food at restaurants A and B, but I go to B because the portions are smaller". Not exactly a way to enjoy something.
nathanddrews's Avatar nathanddrews 06:53 PM 03-28-2013
Or... just let it go. smile.gif
1  2  3

Up
Mobile  Desktop