Blu-Ray Movies Purchasing Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 12-14-2012, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently purchased my first Blu-Ray player (Panasonic DMP BDT500) and I'd like to start buying some more movies but I am running into an issue on which of the different formats to buy. I see some of the movies are offered as just MOVIE X while others also offer a MOVIE X "ENHANCED FOR 16:9 Widescreen".

My understanding is that, on a 2.4-1 movie, the top and bottom black bars are just a part of the transfer and that the movies "enhanced for widescreen" have changed the aspect ratio somehow in order to fill up the screen.

1- Is this assumption correct?
2- From a max PQ perspective, is it better to buy the regular Blu-ray (I would guess so) or the "enhanced for 16:9 Widescreen" version?

I understand people may prefer that the whole screen be filled but if that is going to affect the maximum PQ because the movie has somehow been altered (zoomed, etc.) then I would prefer just buying the regular Blu-ray.

Thank you in advance and I apologize if there is another part of the forum where this is addressed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-14-2012, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 45
There is no industry wide standard to denote the aspect ratio of a given film; however there is consistency within a given studio.

Most films will either range from 1.85:1 to 2.35:1, give or take, or may indeed be 'full screen' 1.33:1. Typically older films will be 1.33:1.

With 1.85:1 films there maybe little to no black bars visible whereas 2.35:1 will be larger respectively and how BR spec functions those bars are part of the image and not generated by the player in order to properly preserve the films aspect ratio.

Often widescreen films will be denoted by their respective aspect ratio or simply a variant on widescreen; such as 'enhanced for 16:9 widescreen' or 'anamorphic widescreen'.

For those who prefer to actually view things correctly will not use any PQ features that affect the source. Specifically zoom/crop or DNR filter options.

Best Regards
KvE

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shovelling it.

post #3 of 10 Old 12-14-2012, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

post #4 of 10 Old 12-14-2012, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Best Buy is not consistent in how it labels releases. Generally the BR release will be in the original aspect ratio, typically.

In this case BB has multiple versions of the film, one is a steelbook rerelease, the other two differ due to disc content. One has the film with little to no extras whilst the other has the maximum movie mode special feature. There is also a BB Steelbook exclusive that included a DVD copy and digital copy with the special features version of the disc.

Best Regards
KvE

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shovelling it.

post #5 of 10 Old 12-14-2012, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

So, with respect to picture quality, all of the movies will be the same whether or not they denote "Enhanced for 16:9 Widescreen"? Weird.

Thank you again.
post #6 of 10 Old 12-14-2012, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 53
For info on any title check out the data available at Blu-rayStats.com For a table view clik Blu-ray Statistics in the top selection bar then select Blu-ray Stats. For info on a specific title click Searches then select Searches, enter you title and search. Click the title in the search results for info that includes format ratio.

Lots of info at this site with many combos of display options and filters in the table view.

There is no “anamorphic” mode on Blu-ray disc like there is for DVD. All Blu-ray disc are 1.78, 1920 x 1080. 2.40:1 content will simply have black bars at the top and bottom, 1.33:1 content will have black bars on each side, etc.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-14-2012, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Let me attempt a short and simple answer (unlikely, since I tend to ramble smile.gif ).

If you see a Blu-ray described as "ENHANCED FOR WIDESCREEN TV" or "ENHANCED WIDESCREEN FOR 16:9 TV" just IGNORE IT.

Those descriptions do not apply to Blu-ray Discs. They are terms which describe certain widescreen DVDs. If you see those terms attached to a Blu-ray, it means one of two things: 1)The BD is part of a "Combo" pack and includes a widescreen enhanced DVD or 2) it's simply a typo.

Note: I just see Wendel posted that "There is no “anamorphic” mode on Blu-ray disc..." and he is correct.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-14-2012, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-14-2012, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Moral of the story- if you want extras, a digital copy, the DVD, steel packaging, etc. then one might want to shop around and see what is available. Otherwise, I can be comfortable buying the least expensive Blu-ray of the same movie.

Thank you again to all of you for the timely responses. I appreciate it. Now, off to buy some movies...
post #10 of 10 Old 12-14-2012, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex Robinson View Post

The BD is part of a "Combo" pack and includes a widescreen enhanced DVD

Good one, forgot the combo packs. The labeling makes sense if a package contains a “anamorphic” DVD.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page