PROMETHEUS "The film" discussion - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 12-20-2012, 03:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
In recognition of the new void, I start this thread with the intention of continuing discussion of the movie PROMETHEUS as it appears on blu-ray. To avoid any misunderstanding or lack of clarity, I'd like to make explicit that commentary herein, as is always the case in the Blu-ray Software Forum, will primarily be geared toward an exchange of ideas concerning PROMETHEUS as an entertainment, a film, a production, a social document, what have you. As such, it is not only quite appropriate, but expected, that plot points, writing, direction, acting, conceptual framework of the film, anecdotes about the production process, and any or all aspects of the movie or making thereof, constitute fodder for discussion.

In addition (and again, as is always the case here in the blu-ray forum), if you want to mention something about "the disc", that too is generally regarded as acceptable, though such offerings are likely to be limited in scope, so personally I don't foresee much potential there, but feel free and welcome nevertheless to chime in with that type of observation as well.

Enjoy!...more from me later when time provides...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 12-20-2012, 06:10 AM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Pre-existing threads here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1155877/alien-prequel-prometheus

and here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1414632/prometheus-plot-spoilers-discussion
post #3 of 18 Old 12-20-2012, 07:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
These threads have a long history at AVS.
Myself and many other members have been discussing the content of Prometheus with great gusto and depth.

Click the links and LET'S ROCK!!!smile.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #4 of 18 Old 12-20-2012, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 54
This thread was meant to replace this thread here in the BD forum, which was closed at the request of the other thread's OP. This is now the only thread where we can discuss the BD release of this title.
post #5 of 18 Old 12-20-2012, 11:13 AM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeb View Post

This thread was meant to replace this thread here in the BD forum, which was closed at the request of the other thread's OP. This is now the only thread where we can discuss the BD release of this title.
The below, from the OP, is exactly what has been and continues to be discussed in the pre-existing threads I listed.
Quote:
As such, it is not only quite appropriate, but expected, that plot points, writing, direction, acting, conceptual framework of the film, anecdotes about the production process, and any or all aspects of the movie or making thereof, constitute fodder for discussion
post #6 of 18 Old 12-20-2012, 01:18 PM

Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUR View Post

The below, from the OP, is exactly what has been and continues to be discussed in the pre-existing threads I listed.
This thread was created to replace the one that mikey had locked (aka to fill the "new void" created by the loss of a thread for Prometheus in this area.)

There needs to be a thread in this area for the BD, so unless you're going to start a new one and lobby for this one to be closed, I really don't see what the problem is.
post #7 of 18 Old 12-20-2012, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

These threads have a long history at AVS.
Myself and many other members have been discussing the content of Prometheus with great gusto and depth.
Click the links and LET'S ROCK!!!smile.gif
...and, up until yesterday, there was a thread here for those whose exposure to PROMETHEUS was through blu-ray. Blu-ray is actually all I watch any more -- no DVDs, and don't even go out to theaters to speak of anymore (last time was for the STAR TREK reboot). Also the blu-ray version I saw was the 3D one, which is not presented on DVD. So this is the place I would most naturally gravitate to and expect to talk about this movie, but I'm assuming the same is true for you my friend Oink, and I note you have been rocking this corner of AVS talking PROMETHEUS all along as well...that is, up until there was some seeming confusion over proper content for the Blu-ray Software area.

This latest thread just opens up where we left off -- I was enjoying the discussion, though I think I feel like perhaps I've not had a proper span of digesting the film to really launch commentary on it just now. One reason I put this thread up was to have a place to go when my ideas on the film gestate just a bit more.

So why not come on over and rock it with us here, Oink? -- always look forward to your pithy insights!
post #8 of 18 Old 12-20-2012, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 285
As I've said more than once, I think it's inevitable to talk about "the movie" when we talk about "the disc". If I make a comment in this forum (Blu-ray "software" that is) that's either because I bought the film or I plan to. Either way I don't buy something I don't want, so there's always some level of appreciation of the film itself because well, it's a movie, and there's always an emotional reaction that goes with it. I'm not interested in a movie simply because it's supposed to look and sound good. So maybe not "inevitable", but very much understandable, and most importantly tolerable. Just my worthless coin. wink.gif
post #9 of 18 Old 12-20-2012, 03:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaych View Post

...and, up until yesterday, there was a thread here for those whose exposure to PROMETHEUS was through blu-ray. Blu-ray is actually all I watch any more -- no DVDs, and don't even go out to theaters to speak of anymore (last time was for the STAR TREK reboot). Also the blu-ray version I saw was the 3D one, which is not presented on DVD. So this is the place I would most naturally gravitate to and expect to talk about this movie, but I'm assuming the same is true for you my friend Oink, and I note you have been rocking this corner of AVS talking PROMETHEUS all along as well...that is, up until there was some seeming confusion over proper content for the Blu-ray Software area.
This latest thread just opens up where we left off -- I was enjoying the discussion, though I think I feel like perhaps I've not had a proper span of digesting the film to really launch commentary on it just now. One reason I put this thread up was to have a place to go when my ideas on the film gestate just a bit more.
So why not come on over and rock it with us here, Oink? -- always look forward to your pithy insights!
Thank you for the invitation.
As you are aware, mods in the past have dissuaded discussion of movie content on this particular forum and threads have been locked and/or threads deleted.
My current blood pressure can't handle either.
Therefore, I tend to avoid this forum (for the most part).

BTW, where the he!! have you been during this penultimate season of Dexter?!?
We have missed you and dad's posts...frown.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

As I've said more than once, I think it's inevitable to talk about "the movie" when we talk about "the disc". If I make a comment in this forum (Blu-ray "software" that is) that's either because I bought the film or I plan to. Either way I don't buy something I don't want, so there's always some level of appreciation of the film itself because well, it's a movie, and there's always an emotional reaction that goes with it. I'm not interested in a movie simply because it's supposed to look and sound good. So maybe not "inevitable", but very much understandable, and most importantly tolerable. Just my worthless coin. wink.gif
Over time the lines have been blurred.
It's natural and appropriate.

Most of us here are aware hardly anyone who posts on this forum buys DVDs anymore.
Ideally, the site would simply announce discussion of movie content is allowed in this forum (as it is in the other).
It seems it would be the easiest solution (IMO).

post #10 of 18 Old 12-20-2012, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Without giving anything away (and before the thread turns into a knife fight), is the BD any kind of improvement over the theatrical release story wise?
post #11 of 18 Old 12-20-2012, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post

Without giving anything away (and before the thread turns into a knife fight), is the BD any kind of improvement over the theatrical release story wise?
It's the same film, why would it be different?

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #12 of 18 Old 12-20-2012, 09:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post

The BD is the Theatrical Cut only...no D.C. has come out yet.

post #13 of 18 Old 12-20-2012, 10:34 PM

Liked: 20
Honestly, I don't understand how anyone could have their feelings hurt by criticism of this film. That would be completely insane. You don't lose any money, or status. What would drive someone in their right mind to flee from criticism of a piece of entertainment? The fear is truly mind-boggling.
post #14 of 18 Old 12-21-2012, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, one thing does seem fairly certain, whether you fall in the camp that abhors what Scott did here, or are celebrating his achievement, this film is perhaps universally recognized as powerful and provocative. Folks don't seem to come up neutral on it. It ignites passions, even without possibly betraying the why and how of burrowing under our skin.

Could it be that despite widespread denouncement to the contrary, this film actually does succeed in awakening deeper internal explorations of our psyche than we are willing to concede? Some have regarded the inclusion of themes such as Man's Eternal Quest For Purpose and/or His Origins as laughably superficial, cursory, perfunctory -- tossed out there as some sort of insubstantial aspiration to grandeur, sans any kind of meaningful depth or actual contemplation in the execution. But even were it to fail in this regard, were we really looking to a two-hour movie to satisfy and resolve such longings for meaning?

Scott seems to present a portrait of man unhinged from his moorings -- even at the outset there are characters and situations presented which appear absurd. Is this the mankind of the future? Is this a modern parable about the folly of blind obeisance to false prophets and/or profits? I must say, the notion that these folks found themselves listening after extended hyper-sleep to some loopy meanderings concerning cave drawings, and figures pointing to circles as representing a revelation of creation, to be quite absurd. Is this a human race that has no compass, no guidepost to chart a course of common sense?

Yet throughout we found the same theme -- that quest for defining the nature of origin -- who or what made me, and why? It is repeated in all the relationships and forms the central core of the film. Scott seems to be warning us away from mucking about in this realm -- it does not end well for those who would find or even play God.

More than any other thing at this moment that stands out, is Scott's apparently masterful exploitation of baffling inanity to confound and vex his audience. It really is one of the most powerful tools to be deployed by a filmmaker. Just as the TV series LOST baffled and confounded and contented itself with a largely unresolved, unfathomable, opaque (according to some), set of paradoxes and incoherent juxtapositionings of mutually exclusive phenomena, Scott here has people, and other actors in the entertainment, repeatedly doing wholly inexplicable things, which apparently has maddened, confounded and vexed his audience.

For my money, between LOST and now PROMETHEUS, it is quite apparent to me that failure or unwillingness to wrap up the loose ends turns out to be very very powerful stuff. I think it perhaps makes PROMETHEUS a much more interesting film than ALIEN, even while it is possibly not as compelling.

And Oink, as to the DEXTER thread -- I told Dad that I thought I would just sit this one out -- my commentary there seems to be greeted with relentless negativity, but the thing is, I am quite satisfied with just having my own thoughts about the series -- don't need to share them at all. So with all the typing and back and forth, it certainly was not worth it to me. Kind of like how I see internet types pounding away on a film I think is a glorious entertainment -- stuff I feel blessed and lucky to see, others will bitterly hammer on as horrible -- PROMETHEUS, even if you deleted all the dialogue and left the visuals and soundtrack, would be a marvel to behold -- a grand and glorious spectacle. In fact, if I were a teacher of screenwriting, I might just make it a project to watch the movie without dialogue, and as an exercise ask my class to come up with a script that matches the action -- might be a grand experiment! (of course ideally it would be without anyone being familiar with the current script)

All for now....
post #15 of 18 Old 12-21-2012, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 285
^^^ wow. it's rather rare these days to read more than a single line of text written in such an impeccable manner, so let me just say a simple thank you. Can you make more of these please? smile.gif As someone who loved Prometheus, you just made me want to watch it again! I couldn't have said it better (and I mean I really couldn't have, unless we're allowed to post in french maybe wink.gif) and I agree, of course, with everything you said.
post #16 of 18 Old 12-21-2012, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

^^^ wow. it's rather rare these days to read more than a single line of text written in such an impeccable manner, so let me just say a simple thank you. Can you make more of these please? smile.gif As someone who loved Prometheus, you just made me want to watch it again! I couldn't have said it better (and I mean I really couldn't have, unless we're allowed to post in french maybe wink.gif) and I agree, of course, with everything you said.
Thanks for the "thank you"!

I resisted venturing much of anything myself on this film partly because my reactions to it are complex and not at all fully resolved or even completely coherent, I'm sure. But maybe that is just the way it should be. Then too, I initiated this thread to continue discussion of the film and saw the need just now to relaunch into that endeavor, as we were slipping into something of a more procedural focus here.

You know, it occurs to me that if one major message to be gleaned from the film might be: beware the false prophets, what better way to demonstrate that than to replicate that very message by the production itself?

With their first debriefing, we are witness to this hapless band of interstellar recruits at first mystified, then with sudden grave misgivings and new anxiety over what's to come from putting themselves in the hands of what they can only imagine is a madman's mission to chase an absurd premise halfway across the galaxies. Later, even the mapmaker is portrayed as perhaps the most lost of all, unable to guide himself from the darkness and disquiet. Technology and/or science, as represented by the droid, only serves to undermine man's connectedness with his fellows. The captain may take the cavalier approach with not quite defined free-floating allegiances, but at last redeems his human virtue at the cost of his beingness, so honorable merit is condemned to fiery immolation, and may not provide solace to our souls as the one true guiding light.

Some have excoriated this film as being the product of an unchecked and unbalanced giant of cinema, whose staggering reputation preemptively quashed challenge and/or critical judgment vis a vis day-to-day decision making and indeed a sober appraisal of the broader gestalt of "what kind of film are we making here?" Scott has been portrayed as an out-of-control genius too mired in an exalted body of past glories to set himself to an intelligible, incisive message through his current effort.

But what if that very realization echoes what seems to be the predominate message of his late effort? in other words, art imitating life, AND life (the making of this film), perfectly illustrating the art represented? Might it even be a self-aware perfect circle? That would be rare undeed.

Something to contemplate....
post #17 of 18 Old 12-21-2012, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by johncourt View Post

Honestly, I don't understand how anyone could have their feelings hurt by criticism of this film. That would be completely insane. You don't lose any money, or status. What would drive someone in their right mind to flee from criticism of a piece of entertainment? The fear is truly mind-boggling.
The flip side is also true.. a lot of people get their panties in a twist because of people like me, speaking my mind about how I liked the film. They go on rants about how I'm completely off my rocker.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #18 of 18 Old 12-21-2012, 07:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 59
If you want to discuss the film only, please take the discussion to one of the existing threads in the movie forum (linked above).

"Retired" AVS Moderator
Closed Thread Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page